Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

fyfe79 wrote:
    Ah right, so that one single unplayed game, from which you've extrapolated the result, has an importance but none of the other 9 games for, say, Liverpool are important. Nor can you extrapolate any results from them.

fyfe79 wrote:
    Got it.

fyfe79 wrote:
    brinty! You had the inside track all along and you're only letting us know now?

As you said I've the inside track

So I'm going to be kind to you but it's not going to be nice......

Liverpool are going to get four more points over those nine games, however City won't lose or draw another premier league game and will be drawing 2-2 in they're last game of the season going into injury time and Martin Tyler is on commentary when the ball falls to a guy and he buries it to win the title for Manchester City...

Martin Tyler final words are
    The ball is crossed into the box and it's fallen to AGGGGGGUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEERRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I swear you'll never see any thing like this....... in your life ;););)

6 wrote:
    I think it means not solving. Makey uppy solution!

I meant desolved, go Google it ;)

https://twitter.com/OliverKay/status/1243444758325989376?s=19

The Athletic have their say on the matter

Great site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brinty wrote: »
    City have a game in hand which they'll win, it's 22 ;).

You can't even stay consistent with your own bull****.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote:

As fyfe said I've the inside track, so I'm just sharing the knowledge with you. Would you prefer I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As fyfe said I've the inside track, so I'm just sharing the knowledge with you. Would you prefer I don't

Are you ever going to reveal who the PL footballer you said was doping is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I meant desolved, go Google it ;)

Didn't have to, but did anyway.

The word you are looking for is dissolved.

Your word doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

https://twitter.com/OliverKay/status/1243444758325989376?s=19

Some absolute idiocy in there.

Just in the first 2 paragraphs;
    A number of Premier League clubs want to end the current season with immediate effect and replay it in full once it is deemed safe to do so

Replay it in full? What's the point of that? I can somewhat understand the argument for pushing forward with no relegation and Leeds and West Brom added in, but literally just resetting it? Literally, where is the benefit? We've already played 75% of this iteration, what is the benefit of just starting the same whole sequence again?

and;
    One senior figure told The Athletic it is morally wrong for football to even be discussing playing behind closed doors while the coronavirus crisis is at its peak.

Who the **** are these guys, like? And how out of touch with reality are they?
    I'm on unpaid furlough for the foreseeable future - do I think it would be morally wrong for my company to be discussing how they get business back up and running when this passes? **** no, I 100% want them doing absolutely everything they can to have us in the best shape possible to get back to work as soon as is safely possible. I daresay the thousands of people employed across the country by football think the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

~Rebel~ wrote: »

One senior figure told The Athletic it is morally wrong for football to even be discussing playing behind closed doors while the coronavirus crisis is at its peak.

I'm on unpaid furlough for the foreseeable future - do I think it would be morally wrong for my company to be discussing how they get business back up and running when this passes? **** no, I 100% want them doing absolutely everything they can to have us in the best shape possible to get back to work as soon as is safely possible. I daresay the thousands of people employed across the country by football think the same.

As I said in the Liverpool thread, imagine when the world starts to turn again and the thousands of people employed by football turn to Scadamore and ask "Richard, what's the plan", only for him to shrug his shoulders and say "it was morally wrong for me as CEO to plan anything directly affecting the return of your jobs so toddle off home, lads".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

End the season. Have a club vote to elect Liverpool as Champions. No self respecting club will vote against it. Cancel relegation. Tell the EFL they must arrange for 2 teams to be promoted and prepare for 5 relegated teams the next season.

Encourage UEFA to scrap the Champions League/Europa League next season. Have an FA Cup style competition for the year, involving all European top flight teams.

Get rid of the league Cup next season. Keep the FA Cup but no replays or Extra time, straight to penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

End the season. Have a club vote to elect Liverpool as Champions. No self respecting club will vote against it. Cancel relegation. Tell the EFL they must arrange for 2 teams to be promoted and prepare for 5 relegated teams the next season.

Encourage UEFA to scrap the Champions League/Europa League next season. Have an FA Cup style competition for the year, involving all European top flight teams.

Get rid of the league Cup next season. Keep the FA Cup but no replays or Extra time, straight to penalties.

What happens if the league cant start till December.

What happens if the league cant start till December.

Scrap next season too. Start again in August 2021. Logic :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

noodler wrote: »

Love how they ignore Man City V Liverpool which was to be played this Sunday with a Liverpool win giving Liverpool the league so only 1 win needed in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just in the first 2 paragraphs;
    A number of Premier League clubs want to end the current season with immediate effect and replay it in full once it is deemed safe to do so

Replay it in full? What's the point of that? I can somewhat understand the argument for pushing forward with no relegation and Leeds and West Brom added in, but literally just resetting it? Literally, where is the benefit? We've already played 75% of this iteration, what is the benefit of just starting the same whole sequence again?

and;

Same tweet from Friday

Benimar wrote:
    The word you are looking for is dissolved.

Sorry about that, and thank you for certifying me. I suffer with dyslexia so sometimes I can't help misspelling things .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

fyfe79 wrote: »
    As I said in the Liverpool thread, imagine when the world starts to turn again and the thousands of people employed by football turn to Scadamore and ask "Richard, what's the plan", only for him to shrug his shoulders and say "it was morally wrong for me as CEO to plan anything directly affecting the return of your jobs so toddle off home, lads".

Why would anyone be asking Scudamore about anything to do with football? :confused:

No self respecting club will vote against what. Awarding Liverpool a title they've not won.

Em why would any self respecting club do that.

So tell us all which club is going to or should vote to elect Liverpool champions?

I'm pretty sure Manchester City who can still win it will say no, and they'd be perfectly within their rights.

But please do enligthen us.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why would anyone be asking Scudamore about anything to do with football? :confused:

Presumably because they didn’t realise Scudamore had been replaced as Chairman, or briefly forgot. The point was fairly clear.

Christ, it’s always the most adversarial possible reply in here. Whatever about actual differences of opinion, but this stuff gets really tiring and tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FitzShane wrote: »
    Are you ever going to reveal who the PL footballer you said was doping is?

What's this now?

• Advertisement

No self respecting club will vote against what. Awarding Liverpool a title they've not won.

Em why would any self respecting club do that.

So tell us all which club is going to or should vote to elect Liverpool champions?

I'm pretty sure Manchester City who can still win it will say no, and they'd be perfectly within their rights.

But please do enligthen us.

Man City players have said that it would be fair to award it to Liverpool.
    Asked if the Reds should be given the trophy if the season is cut short, Gudogan told German broadcaster ZDF: "For me, that would be OK, yes."

"You have to be fair as a sportsperson,"

And here's a link cos it actually happened, not made up and not based on social media posts. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52086371

FitzShane wrote:
    Man City players have said that it would be fair to award it to Liverpool.

One player, who played under Klopp as an aside, speaks for a whole team, their board, supporters, share holders.

Ok fair enough, I'll consider myself told

FitzShane wrote:
    And here's a link cos it actually happened, not made up and not based on social media posts.

You're very defensive, is everything ok.

One player, who played under Klopp as an aside, speaks for a whole team, their board, supporters, share holders.

Ok fair enough, I'll consider myself told

Not at all. Bloody nothing is ok. Made worse by trying to come on here for a distraction/discussion only to find a lad posting every 5 minutes acting the maggot.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    It's really not. Bloody nothing is ok. Made worse by trying to come on here for a distraction only to find a lad posting every 5 minutes acting the maggot.

I'm sorry, but are we not supposed to discuss differing points of view on here. It's an internet forum. I thought those were the ideas behind them?

I'm sorry, but are we not supposed to discuss differing points of view on here. It's an internet forum. I thought those were the ideas behind them?

Some points of view are more genuine than others.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Some points of view are more genuine than others.

So I'm not entitled to an opinion I'm your eyes because it's different to yours and what you want

So I'm not entitled to an opinion I'm your eyes because it's different to yours and what you want

I've no problem with differences of opinion. I've plenty of time for plenty of posters on here who I regularly disagree with.

There was a claim earlier in the thread that Juventus had decided that they would not accept the Serie A title if the season if finished now.

What actually has happened was that some Juventus fan(s) said that on social media that is what they (the fan) would like to happen and not actually the club making a decision.

So I just included a link to back up my point instead of making pie in the sky speculations that are prevailinant on this forum in the last few weeks and months ;)

FitzShane wrote:
    So I just included a link to back up my point instead of making pie in the sky speculations that are prevailinant on this forum in the last few weeks and months

That's fair enough, as I say I think we're all grown up enough to have an opinion and discuss rationally with others of differing view points.

Sometimes we'll say things slightly off the wall but who doesn't.

As I said to your post I don't think you can take Gundogan as representing Manchester City, no more than fans of Juventus as reprsenting their club, or Liverpool fans on here of being representative of their club.

I do believe one of your fellow Liverpool fans said a club should nominate Liverpool as champions at no self respecting club would oppose. That's as pie in sky as you can get in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Juve not going accept title if season is void.

Respect and they know more important things in life

I very ill-informed and extremely cheap shot, pathetic post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I very ill-informed and extremely cheap shot, pathetic post.

No its not. Not everything is about PL. Hundreds and Thousands of teams around the world are in position they never thought we would see.

I'm highlighting a group of fans that are looking at bigger picture. They are based in the heartland of all this.

I haven't seen it from anyone else and if they have I applaud them.

Presumably because they didn’t realise Scudamore had been replaced as Chairman, or briefly forgot. The point was fairly clear.

Christ, it’s always the most adversarial possible reply in here. Whatever about actual differences of opinion, but this stuff gets really tiring and tedious.

Yep, had forgotten he was replaced a couple of months ago.

Obviously the name of the person in charge was the key point in my post and the rest should be ignored. The heinous error was right to be highlighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

As opposed to somebody slagging somebody else off for something that has nothing to do with him. :rolleyes:

Not like Scudamore retired quietly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Talking about cutting short next season in order to validate/complete this one is absolutely desperate stuff from Liverpool fans. They've no shame.

No matter what happens this season won't count in many people minds because of the unprecedented disruption. It makes no sense to mess up two or three seasons, all of which will be tainted and have asterisks beside the winners.

Void the 2019/20 and hopefully be able to play a full 2020/21 season where the winners are clear an undisputed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Zico wrote: »
    Talking about cutting short next season in order to validate/complete this one is absolutely desperate stuff from Liverpool fans. They've no shame.

No matter what happens this season won't count in many people minds because of the unprecedented disruption. It makes no sense to mess up two or three seasons, all of which will be tainted and have asterisks beside the winners.

Void the 2019/20 and hopefully be able to play a full 2020/21 season where the winners are clear an undisputed.

I'm totally neutral when it comes to EPL, and I think its safe to say Liverpool were clear and undisputed champions this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm totally neutral when it comes to EPL, and I think its safe to say Liverpool were clear and undisputed champions this season.

Give them the trophy then. What's all the fuss about?

It may well be cut short anyway regardless of what they do with this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Give them the trophy then. What's all the fuss about?

I'm not saying give it to them now, I think the epl should be given the chance to come up with some way of trying to finish it out to the satisfaction of all concerned.

But if it so happens that there are no more games played in this season's epl, then yes I think they should be awarded it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

So for people saying void the season, taking Liverpool out of the equation (as I firmly believe if it was Leicester was top, there’d be a diff tune), how do you decide CL positions? How do you decide promotion and relegation?

I don’t actually see the logic behind canning the season when it’s nearly done. There’ll be lawsuits everywhere. Leeds will feel entitled to PL money. Leicester will feel entitled to CL money.

So can someone rationally tell me of a feasible solution to how to completely cancel the season with the above problems at play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Just fly them all to Belarus. It's a football feast there. Farming and vodka will sort the virus out according to their president.

• Advertisement

PhilipsR wrote: »
    So for people saying void the season, taking Liverpool out of the equation (as I firmly believe if it was Leicester was top, there’d be a diff tune), how do you decide CL positions? How do you decide promotion and relegation?

I don’t actually see the logic behind canning the season when it’s nearly done. There’ll be lawsuits everywhere. Leeds will feel entitled to PL money. Leicester will feel entitled to CL money.

So can someone rationally tell me of a feasible solution to how to completely cancel the season with the above problems at play?

There really isn't much logic in voiding the season. People just think saying the words "void the season" is enough and everything else will fall into place - may as well be saying "There's no place like home".

This virus will be coming at us in waves over the next year at least, and sport will be attempting to get going again in restricted circumstances whenever a window of opportunity is apparent. For the PL to just bin off 75% of a season is counter-productive. Those games are in the bag, done, but people think they'll be just wiped out and, like a fairytale, the next season starts in August and 100% of games will get played with no issues? Do the PL think 100% of games in the next season will be easier to get completed start to finish, or 25% of games of this season? Easy answer. Also, no threat of legal actions would come with completing this season versus voiding it. Voiding the season would cause a massive headache to the PL, bigger than just carrying on with the current one.

The only way I can see a season being voided would be if we're something like 2 years or more down the line without a ball being kicked, and players contracts are all over the place, players have retired etc. But voiding it immediately? That's wishful thinking for those with vested interests while they claim it's only Liverpool fans with vested interests. When you're in agreement with Karen Brady, Harry Kane and Rio Ferdinand, I think it's time to have a re-think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I was watching Rocky 1 last night but I got very tired with 20 minutes left of it so I had to go to bed. Ive a big dillema now do I just go straight onto Rocky 2 today or do I watch the last 20 minutes of Rocky 1 first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I was watching Rocky 1 last night but I got very tired with 20 minutes left of it so I had to go to bed. Ive a big dillema now do I just go straight onto Rocky 2 today or do I watch the last 20 minutes of Rocky 1 first.

Straight to rocky two and forget about rocky 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pretending next season isn't going to be effected is absolutely desperate stuff from utd fans I reckon.

Liverpool being crowned champions is the thin edge of the wedge when it comes to reasons to complete this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Straight to rocky two and forget about rocky 1

Lads, it's called Rocky. You don't use a number after the original. #justsayin (I miss football)

noodler wrote: »
    Pretending next season isn't going to be effected is absolutely desperate stuff from utd fans I reckon.

Liverpool being crowned champions is the thin edge of the wedge when it comes to reasons to complete this season.

Only Utd fans on here though. They are in the minority. The actual club wants it finished! Strange stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

6 wrote: »
    Only Utd fans on here though. They are in the minority. The actual club wants it finished! Strange stuff.

The strangest is Harry Kane. He has the chance of chasing down Alan Shearer's league record and surpassing it yet wants to void this season and lose all the goals he's scored (11). I don't get his motivation.

This is a guy who 2 years ago swore on his mother's life so that he'd get awarded a goal he didn't touch

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-void-season-2020-coronavirus-liverpool-title-efl-legal-challenge-a9437081.html

Todays Independent article discussing this.

"Premier League support to void season grows but legal minefield awaits if EFL are cut adrift"

8-10 wrote: »
    The strangest is Harry Kane. He has the chance of chasing down Alan Shearer's league record and surpassing it yet wants to void this season and lose all those goals. I don't get his motivation.

Spurs are out of Europe, out of the FA chip and 7 behind 4th. Realistically their season is probably done. So not that surprising tbh.

Might be also angling to leave the sinking ship asap.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Euros should be pushed to December 21, see if seasons can be played out from sept-November.

Winter break, summer football and continue that as it suits that Qatar world cup too.

Scrap Europa and Champions League group stages for a year or 2 (if not forever)

Stop staggering knock out stages over 5weeks when they can be done in 2.

Uefa has ruined the calendar enough as it is and should be forced to take a step back for all clubs sake

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement