Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-void-season-2020-coronavirus-liverpool-title-efl-legal-challenge-a9437081.html

Todays Independent article discussing this.

"Premier League support to void season grows but legal minefield awaits if EFL are cut adrift"
    This is why the vast majority of the clubs are determined - some sources would say “desperate” - to complete the campaign.

you left out this part.

:p

It's a shítty outcome, but I think the Euros should be the lowest on the priority list when it comes to finding time to resume this domestic season(s) and play the next one as unaffected as possible.

"Yeah right...over UEFA's bankrupt body!" is probably how that would fly with them in reality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Good line from that Independent article:

"Many who are against voiding the season have meanwhile raised the understandable issue of sporting integrity, but that goes even bigger. There’s the consequential issue of public trust in the competition.

If a league is voided, and the game effectively says certain games don’t matter, it means no result can ever be relied upon. The contract with supporters will have been broken. That could have far deeper repercussions than anything else. And it is all the more pressing given the inevitability that 2020-21 will have to be truncated and postponed at some point, and the greater ease of working around that knowledge, which makes it even more pointless to try and rush a decision on this season."

Leaving aside tribal loyalties, I would have thought anyone who truly loves the game would want this season to finish for this reason.

To be honest if this season was nulled and voided I would lose a lot of interest in next season. Corona will still be around in late 2020 so if we get started in September 2020 with the 20/21 season, we'll be watching every result half-thinking "Does this result even matter?" "Will the season just get voided again?". I think that the league loses a lot of its appeal, its drama, its emotion in this scenario, surely even those who love the idea of Liverpool being denied the title can see that? Would your love of the game not trump your hatred of Liverpool?

I would imagine the Premier League are factoring this in, so while voiding the season would be a huge legal nightmare and incur a massive financial penalty for breaching the broadcasting contracts, I would imagine that they are also considering the brand damage that voiding this season would result in.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And what about Milan and Chelsea and other teams. Do their various band for this season carry on or not?

If the league was maybe only 1/4 -1/3 done then it'd be grand. You could get away with it, but there are teams (Lazio, Liverpool, Leipzig) having the chance of a title taken away from them and teams who don't deserve to stay up getting a second crack.

I'd be all for finishin the season at some point, and then worry about the next season.

Scrap the nation's league and international friendlies for a time being too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »
    you left out this part.

:p

Course he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Weepsie wrote: »
    Scrap the nation's league and international friendlies for a time being too

International friendlies should stop being a thing in my view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

noodler wrote: »
    Course he did.

It must be great to be able say what you like eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

8-10 wrote: »
    International friendlies should stop being a thing in my view

How would international managers trial players, or prepare for tournaments? Why would you scrap international friendlies and not club friendlies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

International Friendlies in Europe have been scrapped apart from the lead up to a tournament in favour of this International League system where all games count towards something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Morzadec wrote: »
    Good line from that Independent article:

"Many who are against voiding the season have meanwhile raised the understandable issue of sporting integrity, but that goes even bigger. There’s the consequential issue of public trust in the competition.

If a league is voided, and the game effectively says certain games don’t matter, it means no result can ever be relied upon. The contract with supporters will have been broken. That could have far deeper repercussions than anything else. And it is all the more pressing given the inevitability that 2020-21 will have to be truncated and postponed at some point, and the greater ease of working around that knowledge, which makes it even more pointless to try and rush a decision on this season."

Leaving aside tribal loyalties, I would have thought anyone who truly loves the game would want this season to finish for this reason.

To be honest if this season was nulled and voided I would lose a lot of interest in next season. Corona will still be around in late 2020 so if we get started in September 2020 with the 20/21 season, we'll be watching every result half-thinking "Does this result even matter?" "Will the season just get voided again?". I think that the league loses a lot of its appeal, its drama, its emotion in this scenario, surely even those who love the idea of Liverpool being denied the title can see that? Would your love of the game not trump your hatred of Liverpool?

I would imagine the Premier League are factoring this in, so while voiding the season would be a huge legal nightmare and incur a massive financial penalty for breaching the broadcasting contracts, I would imagine that they are also considering the brand damage that voiding this season would result in.

Finishing the season isn't about sporting integrity, it's not about public trust in the competition and it's most certainly not about the contract with the supporter being broken, it's about greed.

Club's want money, Sky want money, sponsors want money, players want money, agents want money., the FA want money, UEFA want money.........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Finishing the season isn't about sporting integrity, it's not about public trust in the competition and it's most certainly not about the contract with the supporter being broken, it's about greed.

Club's want money, Sky want money, sponsors want money, players want money, agents want money., the FA want money, UEFA want money.........

Money will be very important not just in football but every industry for us as a race to get back to where we want to be. Solutions need to be found in all industries, areas of life when things settle down a bit. The world cant just go into lockdown for a year.

ozzy jr wrote: »

But that's kinda an issue about the game in general, not just the narrow question about what to do with this season.

How would international managers trial players, or prepare for tournaments? Why would you scrap international friendlies and not club friendlies?

I'd be fine without international football altogether

I'd be fine without international football altogether

And that's your choice.

I'd be far more invested in my national team than some random club in England that I picked when I was a kid.

And that's your choice.

I'd be far more invested in my national team than some random club in England that I picked when I was a kid.

I know plenty of people who are the same, but still dislike meaningless games against Oman, China and Canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I know plenty of people who are the same, but still dislike meaningless games against Oman, China and Canada
    Each to their own I agree but games like Watford V Burnley or Norwich V Bournemouth don't exactly get the juices flowing either. Every competition has mickey mouse games.

Each to their own I agree but games like Watford V Burnley or Norwich V Bournemouth don't exactly get the juices flowing either. Every competition has mickey mouse games.

International friendlies aren't a competition though, or linked to one.

Brazil for example sold their rights to their friendlies to a third party company who schedule random games around the world against different opponents. The locals in Brazil rarely get to see their team play at home as they're off in Singapore or Miami or UAE playing a random game that means nothing except for the company making money

They've played 3 of their last 23 friendlies in Brazil going back 5 years

It must be great to be able say what you like eh

Misrepresentation of an article to get a reaction...i guess it is great being able to say what you like, yeah.

noodler wrote: »
    Misrepresentation of an article to get a reaction...i guess it is great being able to say what you like, yeah.

:cool:

:cool:

He is obsessed with me. It's his thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

International friendlies aren't a competition though, or linked to one.

Brazil for example sold their rights to their friendlies to a third party company who schedule random games around the world against different opponents. The locals in Brazil rarely get to see their team play at home as they're off in Singapore or Miami or UAE playing a random game that means nothing except for the company making money

They've played 3 of their last 23 friendlies in Brazil going back 5 years
    Fair enough I'm not too fussed either way but I've no vested interest in any Premier league team so I get more emotional about watching Ireland play as bad as they are. I enjoy the Premier league all the same and I never really cared about this idea that it's all money cause it's a business and I'm a capitalist at heart. Where my stance has changed is multiple ambulance services will have to be pulled off the street in the middle of a pandemic to cater for a handful of players whilst the rest of the world is staring down the barrel of horrendous disease plus potentially economic hardship. I just can't see how it can be justified.

He is obsessed with me. It's his thing

Sure isn't that what you and Binty strive for?

Brinty*

Fair enough I'm not too fussed either way but I've no vested interest in any Premier league team so I get more emotional about watching Ireland play as bad as they are. I enjoy the Premier league all the same and I never really cared about this idea that it's all money cause it's a business and I'm a capitalist at heart. Where my stance has changed is multiple ambulance services will have to be pulled off the street in the middle of a pandemic to cater for a handful of players whilst the rest of the world is staring down the barrel of horrendous disease plus potentially economic hardship. I just can't see how it can be justified.

Fully agree. And I've no issues with anyone supporting any team - as long as it brings you joy more power to you whether it's a random team, local team, national team, women's team or your second team. And as you say doesn't matter how good or bad they might be it's about supporting your team.

But international friendlies to me are more like training sessions or money spinners these days. If you get joy from them, fair enough, but overall I don't watch international football much so wouldn't miss it, particularly friendlies which bring me no joy whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

It’s getting harder and harder too see a way out of this without solicitors letters flying. I’d assume the insurance company’s of Sky/BT & The Premier League will end up with a huge say as it won’t be Sky/BT or The Premier League settling the law suits it will be their insurance company’s

Solid source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

but you just wait for this to blow over and then start up again or is the Mail suggesting football never comes back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The Mail suggested on Sunday that Michel Barnier infected Boris so they’re best ignored.

Bothers me a lot more than it should when I see Irish people quoting “news” from that particular source.

Some good points raised.

This virus will be around for years, does that mean there'll be no insurance and therefore no football?

• Advertisement

Same for every Joe Bloggs in the street too, if you get COViD 19 hard ie in the hospital and ICU, come out of it and do not have life insurance you will struggle to get it afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’m not sure why the headline refers to it as being a blow to the season being completed... it’s not, it’s a blow to football returning in any capacity. The effect is identical whether they resume the current season or start a new season. (Though I guess their less-than-truthful approach gets more clicks).

Seems like something that could be ironed out with the insurers easily enough. Given that every player needs to be insured, they’re in a position of power with regards to the insurer they use - if one agrees to cover Covid-19 (or viruses generally) in their policy, and others don’t, the others will simply no longer be chosen as insurers. So with a bit of pressure from the PFA, I could see this being added into all their contracts. It seems like a clarification/qualification issue really, where the insurer simply needs to add this in the list of potential critical issues, which obviously it should be in anyway, under the worst of circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It seems like a clarification/qualification issue really, where the insurer simply needs to add this in the list of potential critical issues, which obviously it should be in anyway, under the worst of circumstances.

Google uninsurable risks.

Or ask someone who has basic knowledge of insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Zico wrote: »
    Google uninsurable risks.

Or ask someone who has basic knowledge of insurance.

I don’t quite see how this falls under that though?

Great news today everyone in case it was missed in the Premier league thread.

UEFA committed to finishing this season whenever that may be :):)

Uefa and the collective European leagues are committed to completing the 2019/20 domestic and continental seasons before 2020/21 begins, and are now actively planning for the major showpiece finals to be played behind closed doors, with voiding the campaign “off the table”.

The governing body staged another videoconference on Wednesday about player contracts and the transfer window amid the coronavirus crisis, but The Independent has been told by multiple sources that detailed discussions have already taken place about the fate of this season. All parties are fully aligned with the English view that the campaign must be completed, whenever that is.

Rest of story here

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/champions-league-coronavirus-uefa-europa-league-a9439381.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Belgian League has called it quits and finished the season. Correctly imo, as a result Brugge are named champions but relegation to be decided.

Precedent set.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Belgian League has called it quits and finished the season. Correctly imo, as a result Brugge champions but relegation to be decided.

Correct call given the league was mathematically over anyway from a winners perspective but not sure about bottom end of table.

Only one game left was there and 15+ points clear?
    Only got some of it on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Correct call given the league was mathematically over anyway from a winners perspective but not sure about bottom end of table.

Yeah, someone isn't going to be happy. I'd worry if I was in promotion place in their 2nd division, usually the lower leagues that get stiffed.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Yeah, someone isn't going to be happy. I'd worry if I was in promotion place in their 2nd division, usually the lower leagues that get stiffed.

European spots will be given to current positions even though its still up for grabs.

Vote on whether to endorse it on April 15th.

Finishing seasons as is could well be the done thing, who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Belgium have a play off system with the top 6 teams playing a secondary mini league after the main league has taken place. They have just canceled the play off aspect to the league and taken the team who are 15 points clear as champions.

The play offs involve the top 6 teams playing each other home & away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FitzShane wrote: »
    Belgium have a play off system with the top 6 teams playing a secondary mini league after the main league has taken place. They have just canceled the play off aspect to the league and taken the team who are 15 points clear as champions.

The play offs involve the top 6 teams playing each other home & away again.

So the team at the top requires 5 more wins to win the league. Still is the 2nd fairest thing to do but would be best to finish it if possible. Less reliant on TV money Id assume is the reason there.

Belgium after 30 games the top 6 their points and halved and rounded up if needed then another 10 games are played. So Club Brugge lead would have been cut down to 7 points with 10 games to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Belgian League has called it quits and finished the season. Correctly imo, as a result Brugge are named champions but relegation to be decided.

Precedent set.

The Belgian league doesn’t set precedents

Also lol at the relegation to be decided part, the financial implications of that in the PL means it will never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

The Belgian league doesn’t set precedents

Bosman ruling say hello (I know it ended in European court)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The league wasn’t mathematically over. So do you still think this..? Or I guess because it doesn’t suit your agenda now you’ll disagree...?

Large rise in cases might be linked to CL tie

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0402/1128196-liverpool-virus-surge-could-be-linked-to-atletico-game/

And with that everything gets delayed more and more

Large rise in cases might be linked to CL tie

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0402/1128196-liverpool-virus-surge-could-be-linked-to-atletico-game/

And with that everything gets delayed more and more

Yeah as I said I remember hugging randomers in the Kop when Firmino's goal went in. It was bedlam, the opposite of social distancing.

Shouldn't have gone ahead. Regret going myself.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The league wasn’t mathematically over. So do you still think this..? Or I guess because it doesn’t suit your agenda now you’ll disagree...?

One game left with 15 points clear?

I asked the question to another poster not you

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement