Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

One game left with 15 points clear?

I asked the question to another poster not you

There was actually 11 games left if you include the play offs and the points would have been halved going into them, so Brugge would have been 7/8 points clear with 10 games to play.

There was actually 11 games left if you include the play offs and the points would have been halved going into them, so Brugge would have been 7/8 points clear with 10 games to play.

The league

How many games left to crown them champions

How many points clear

That was the question

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The league wasn’t mathematically over. So do you still think this..? Or I guess because it doesn’t suit your agenda now you’ll disagree...?

Belgium where great yesterday. Today, Belgium bad.

Might be an option for the epl, albeit one of the last resorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

dreamers75 wrote: »

As maths that's fine but sort of ignores the capacity of clubs to pay wages at 100% until this is resolved. Everton's wage/turnover ratio 77%. Bournemouth 76% Crystal Palace 78% Leicester City 75% Southampton 75% can't find Wolves, Villa, Sheffield Utd and Norwich right now but probably are all comparable. How much money is in the pot or can be borrowed against future income when the resumption of the game is unknown?

Footballers should absolutely take a hit on wages imo. Most regular folk will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The league

How many games left to crown them champions

How many points clear

That was the question

In normal circumstances they can't be crowned champions until the win the playoffs. Finishing top of the regular season doesn't win them anything. So seeing as they would only be 7/8 points clear with 30 points to play for, they'd need to win another 8 games.

In normal circumstances they can't be crowned champions until the win the playoffs. Finishing top of the regular season doesn't win them anything. So seeing as they would only be 7/8 points clear with 30 points to play for, they'd need to win another 8 games.

Thanks for clarification to the question I asked Tom Man Centuria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah as I said I remember hugging randomers in the Kop when Firmino's goal went in. It was bedlam, the opposite of social distancing.

Shouldn't have gone ahead. Regret going myself.

Shouldn't have been a decision that was in your hands to make.

Putting home crowd advantage ahead of public safety was a really poor decision by Liverpool. I suspect Klopp was aware that it was a bad decision at the time, it's not often he loses the head but did not like it when questioned about it in pre-match press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

PARlance wrote: »

Putting home crowd advantage ahead of public safety was a really poor decision by Liverpool. I suspect Klopp was aware that it was a bad decision at the time, it's not often he loses the head but did not like it when questioned about it in pre-match press conference.

To be fair, it wasn't a decision made by Liverpool, the club. The UK had no restrictions put in place for any sort of lockdown in the country at the time and sporting events were told to proceed as normal. Arsenal v Man City was scheduled to take place on the same night and only called off because of a positive case in the playing squad, not because of fears of the potential crowd contacting covid-19. UEFA gave the same directions.

Clubs don't call games off, other services such as the police/government/UEFA etc do. And even more so, I doubt the head coach of a team has any sort of sway in calling off a Champions League game.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    To be fair, it wasn't a decision made by Liverpool, the club. The UK had no restrictions put in place for any sort of lockdown in the country at the time and sporting events were told to proceed as normal. Arsenal v Man City was scheduled to take place on the same night and only called off because of a positive case in the playing squad, not because of fears of the potential crowd contacting covid-19. UEFA gave the same directions.

Clubs don't call games off, other services such as the police/government/UEFA etc do. And even more so, I doubt the head coach of a team has any sort of sway in calling off a Champions League game.

I didn't say anything about calling the match off. It should have been played behind closed doors. That was the responsible thing to do at the time and I'm certain Klopp, being a very smart guy, knew that. He was rattled when questioned about it.

Could Liverpool have played it behind closed doors? Of course they could, and should. Home crowd advantage proved more important at the time.

I didn't say anything about calling the match off. It should have been played behind closed doors. That was the responsible thing to do at the time and I'm certain Klopp, being a very smart guy, knew that. He was rattled when questioned about it.

Could Liverpool have played it behind closed doors? Of course they could, and should. Home crowd advantage proved more important at the time.

Can a club just decide the day of the game to ban all fans from going? When has that happened before? And when can a manager of a club decide that? When has that happened before?

As I said, the UK government & UEFA both told the clubs to proceed as normal. As they did with the Arsenal-Man City game. As they did with the Leipzig-Spurs game. As they did with other Europa League games the night after.

Why do you keep blaming Klopp & Liverpool for this, when it was not their decision? Ah, I see. Man United supporter. Explains it. Point your anger at the real people who decided that the game would go ahead as normal instead.

Good to ses this place hasn't altered a jot in the last month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Football should be back by July behind closed doors. Domestic leagues finished. Cancel all domestic cups and European competitions next season and fit league into its usual pattern finishing up by May.

That way, with no Euro competitions less spread and travel involved for a year.

Can a club just decide the day of the game to ban all fans from going? When has that happened before? And when can a manager of a club decide that? When has that happened before?

As I said, the UK government & UEFA both told the clubs to proceed as normal. As they did with the Arsenal-Man City game.

Why do you keep blaming Klopp & Liverpool for this, when it was not their decision? Ah, I see. Man United supporter. Explains it.

What do you mean, always keep blaming Klopp and Liverpool??? This is my third post on the matter, two of them have been replying to you, and my original post was in reference to a point about a spike in Covid 19 cases in Liverpool. Drop the complex.

Yes, of course Liverpool could have chosen to play it behind closed doors. Games were being played behind closed doors at short notice, that week. Spain was on lockdown, they had already decided to play the own league behind closed doors.

Fairly sure Klopp knew that it was a bad idea, as shown by him losing the head uncharacteristically the day before.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/03/clubs-risk-champions-league-exclusion-if-seasons-abandoned-prematurely-uefa
    In the letter, Ceferin, Agnelli and Olsson wrote: “We are confident that football can restart in the months to come – with conditions that will be dictated by public authorities – and believe that any decision of abandoning domestic competitions is, at this stage, premature and not justified.

“Since participation in Uefa club competitions is determined by the sporting result achieved at the end of a full domestic competition, a premature termination would cast doubts about the fulfilment of such condition. Uefa reserves the right to assess the entitlement of clubs to be admitted to the 2020-21 Uefa club competitions, in accordance with the relevant applicable competition regulations.”
    “Closely following the development of the current situation, the calendar working group will indicate as soon as possible, and ideally by mid-May, which of the plans can be enacted for the completion of the season without leaving anyone behind.

“Stopping competitions should really be the last resort after acknowledging that no calendar alternative would allow to conclude the season.”

PL meet today with this in mind.

What do you mean, always keep blaming Klopp and Liverpool??? This is my third post on the matter, two of them have been replying to you, and my original post was in reference to a point about a spike in Covid 19 cases in Liverpool. Drop the complex.

Yes, of course Liverpool could have chosen to play it behind closed doors. Games were being played behind closed doors at short notice, that week. Spain was on lockdown, they had already decided to play the own league behind closed doors.

Fairly sure Klopp knew that it was a bad idea, as shown by him losing the head uncharacteristically the day before.

3 posts and each of them you have said that Liverpool "made a poor decision" and that they should have played the game behind closed doors, or that Klopp should have made the decision to play it behind closed doors.

3 posts and not one mention from you that UEFA directed multiple clubs to play the games as normal. It was UEFA's decision, not Liverpool's.

3 posts and not one mention that it was UK government instruction that UK sporting events would o ahead as normal, with fans allowed to attend if they wanted to. The whole country proceeded as normal in all aspects of life.

The same UEFA who then instructed Europa League games to go behind closed doors the day after. It was not club decisions.

The same UK government that allowed Rangers play their EL game at home, and allowed Cheltenham to proceed also.

It's clear what you are at here, so I'll just stop replying to you.

3 posts and each of them you have said that Liverpool "made a poor decision" and that they should have played the game behind closed doors, or that Klopp should have made the decision to play it behind closed doors.

3 posts and not one mention from you that UEFA directed multiple clubs to play the games as normal. It was UEFA's decision, not Liverpool's.

3 posts and not one mention that it was UK government instruction that UK sporting events would o ahead as normal, with fans allowed to attend if they wanted to. The whole country proceeded as normal in all aspects of life.

The same UEFA who then instructed Europa League games to go behind closed doors the day after. It was not club decisions.

The same UK government that allowed Rangers play their EL game at home, and allowed Cheltenham to proceed also.

It's clear what you are at here, so I'll just stop replying to you.

The UK Government acted terribly, most of us knew that at the time and plenty of organisations took the right actions, despite Boris. Most people knew Cheltenham was stupid to go ahead, certainly more so as the week progressed.

The decision to play the game in front of a crowd, a crowd with supporters from a country in lockdown and a country that had already made the decision to play behind closed doors, was a bad decision to put it lightly. A bad decision amid other other bad decisions.

UEFA didn't cancel games but Liverpool could and should have made the decision to play it behind closed doors. So I'll say it again, it was a poor decision. Just like your fellow Liverpool supporter said it was a poor decision to attend. Going back to my original point, the Club should have taken that decision out of his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The UK Government acted terribly, most of us knew that at the time and plenty of organisations took the right actions, despite Boris. Most people knew Cheltenham was stupid to go ahead, certainly more so as the week progressed.

The decision to play the game in front of a crowd, a crowd with supporters from a country in lockdown and a country that had already made the decision to play behind closed doors, was a bad decision to put it lightly. A bad decision amid other other bad decisions.

UEFA didn't cancel games but Liverpool could and should have made the decision to play it behind closed doors. So I'll say it again, it was a poor decision. Just like your fellow Liverpool supporter said it was a poor decision to attend. Going back to my original point, the Club should have taken that decision out of his hands.
    At that rate spurs shouldn't have travelled to Germany the night before and utd shouldn't have travelled for their Europa league game on the thurs night even though that game was behind closed doors,if Arteta hadn't tested positive for covid-19 then the arsenal-city game would have gone ahead the same night as well,Suppose that is Klopps fault as well,Solksjaer should of demanded that the manchester derby was played behind closed doors as well,Why didn't Utd do that I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

UEFA didn't cancel games but Liverpool could and should have made the decision to play it behind closed doors. So I'll say it again, it was a poor decision. Just like your fellow Liverpool supporter said it was a poor decision to attend. Going back to my original point, the Club should have taken that decision out of his hands.[/QUOTE]

The Madrid fans should have been blocked by Atletico.

Not Liverpool's fault that did not happen.
    the virus was not circulating in Liverpool at the time. It was rife in Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

MD1990 wrote: »

UEFA didn't cancel games but Liverpool could and should have made the decision to play it behind closed doors. So I'll say it again, it was a poor decision. Just like your fellow Liverpool supporter said it was a poor decision to attend. Going back to my original point, the Club should have taken that decision out of his hands.[/QUOTE]

The Madrid fans should have been blocked by Atletico.

Not Liverpool's fault that did not happen.
    the virus was not circulating in Liverpool at the time. It was rife in Madrid.

Thats not Liverpools or Athleticos fault. That is completely on the UK Government. Liverpool could have asked for the game behind closed doors. Athletico could have asked for the game behind closed doors. The city of Liverpool should have asked for it to be behind closed doors to protect their city. UEFA should have insisted it was behind closed doors. Thee UK Gov should have insisted it was behind closed doors. There is a lot of blame to go around for why there is a spike in Liverpool now. Very verry little of it is on either club.

Good to ses this place hasn't altered a jot in the last month or so.

In fairness, there hasnt been anyone telling us to infect whole teams in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FitzShane wrote:

Imagine saying it was UEFA's decision but point blank refusing to accept UEFA has any influence over the English game.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was not an English game it was an UEFA game big difference but then you know that

In fairness, there hasnt been anyone telling us to infect whole teams in a while.

Great point, I still can't believe someone would actually think of something like that, never mind put it out their in a public forum. You'd have to worry about the person's sanity. I mean Donald Trump is an idiot but I think even he would draw the line at saying something like that.

• Advertisement

Manchester United players are donating 30% of their wages this month to NHS and Healthcare in Manchester.

Outstanding gesture from them, a simple pay cut would only have benefited the club/glazers.

Harry Maguire as captain spoke with Ed Woodward about this. You'd hope to see all teams follow this, be it donating party of their wages to health services or to keep club staff employed.

More positive news coming from UEFA for football fans :)

Clubs risk Champions League exclusion if seasons abandoned prematurely

Uefa, Europe’s football leagues and top clubs have emphasised their determination to complete the 2019-20 season despite the coronavirus shutdown, with Uefa saying it may not accept clubs into next season’s Champions League if they have not qualified in the normal way.

In a joint letter sent on Thursday night to Europe’s national FAs, leagues and top-division clubs, the Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, the chairman of the European Club Association, Andrea Agnelli, and Lars-Christer Olsson, the president of European Leagues, maintained that remaining club matches in national leagues and the Champions and Europa Leagues could be completed by playing into July and August. However they acknowledged the scale of the crisis means they do not expect to have a clear idea of how that may be done until mid-May at the earliest.

As reported by the Guardian before Uefa’s video conference with national FAs on Wednesday, the football authorities in England and across Europe are increasingly accepting that starting to play again by June is optimistic, a revision of their initial hope the season could be finished by 30 June.

In the letter, Ceferin, Agnelli and Olsson wrote: “We are confident that football can restart in the months to come – with conditions that will be dictated by public authorities – and believe that any decision of abandoning domestic competitions is, at this stage, premature and not justified.

“Since participation in Uefa club competitions is determined by the sporting result achieved at the end of a full domestic competition, a premature termination would cast doubts about the fulfilment of such condition. Uefa reserves the right to assess the entitlement of clubs to be admitted to the 2020-21 Uefa club competitions, in accordance with the relevant applicable competition regulations.”

The joint letter was sent after the Belgian league management board on Thursday became the first in major European football competition to recommend scrapping efforts to finish the season, saying it will award its championship to Club Brugge who are 15 points ahead of second-placed Gent. The league’s clubs will now have to seriously think about whether to accept that recommendation given the collective statement of intent by Uefa, the ECA and EL.

The letter acknowledged the “health crisis caused by the spread of Covid-19 has no precedents in our society” but, referring to the decision to allow more time for club competitions to run into the summer by postponing the summer’s European Championship, said: “European football has nonetheless been capable of reacting as one united family. The common standpoint struck on 17 March by Uefa, the ECA and EL was that every effort had to be made in order to allow all domestic and European competitions to be concluded in compliance with their formats.”

Referring to the working group set up by Uefa to consider how matches could be completed, the letter noted the idea of trying to finish national leagues first, then play the remaining Champions League and Europa League ties after that. The work is “now focusing on scenarios encompassing the months of July and August”, the letter said.

“Closely following the development of the current situation, the calendar working group will indicate as soon as possible, and ideally by mid-May, which of the plans can be enacted for the completion of the season without leaving anyone behind. Stopping competitions should really be the last resort after acknowledging that no calendar alternative would allow to conclude the season.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/03/clubs-risk-champions-league-exclusion-if-seasons-abandoned-prematurely-uefa

Brilliant stuff :)

Good news to start to the weekend!!

Solid source

Jordan Henderson has organised for all Premier League captains, and players, to set up a fund of money to give to the NHS.

Champion on & off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

brinty wrote: »
    Manchester United players are donating 30% of their wages this month to NHS and Healthcare in Manchester.

Outstanding gesture from them, a simple pay cut would only have benefited the club/glazers.

Harry Maguire as captain spoke with Ed Woodward about this. You'd hope to see all teams follow this, be it donating party of their wages to health services or to keep club staff employed.

Fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Solid source

I agree. Direct quotes and named sources on the record.

Wonder what time the PL meeting is concluded today. Should know alot more this evening

Collie D wrote: »

That news is hurting :cool:

Fantastic stuff from uefa

Collie D wrote: »

Exactly

UEFA acting like hitler at the expense of peoples lives is odd

If enough of leagues forfeit i would imagine it won't matter anway

As a side note Spain now overtaken Italy with number of cases

Wonder how La liga react

Jordan Henderson has organised for all Premier League captains, and players, to set up a fund of money to give to the NHS.

Champion on & off the field.

Always had respect for Henderson
    Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Was still in my hands to decide whether to travel or not. I had some hand sanitizer and figured I'd be well clear of the Madrid fans but ended up on the bus to the ground with them.

On your second point though, it was UEFA's decision for the game to go ahead like that and I think Klopp said that they couldn't prevent the Spainish fans from travelling without a UK government/home office order.

The point wasn't as much about the game having fans or not, the problem was the massive influx of fans from Madrid into the city. If the game was behind closed doors where do you think those fans would have been? Wedged into every bar in town probably.

The decision should have been away fans not allowed to travel, which likely then would have meant completely behind closed doors, but at least you'd have 5,000 less people from Madrid around the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The most important thing is as many lives are saved as possible and that treatment gets done and spread stops.

See the Peak might be faster then expected so that might mean things back sooner but again that can change everyday.

We won’t really know till things curve off. It’s going be messy either way anyway. Will always have a one v another here.

Love see it back ASAP and get games played but it’s irrelevant to what’s going on in world.

I don't know what the ending to this is anyway. Wait for a vaccine? Is everybody in the world going to get a jab?

I think whatever happens there's going to be a new normal. We could all be buying virtual tickets to the stadia in England where you can remotely attend from home by watching through an ipad affixed to your seat.

I don't know what the ending to this is anyway. Wait for a vaccine? Is everybody in the world going to get a jab?

I think whatever happens there's going to be a new normal. We could all be buying virtual tickets to the stadia in England where you can remotely attend from home by watching through an ipad affixed to your seat.
    At least it might force Sky to **** off and start a proper streaming service of the football games you want to watch

8-10 wrote:

According to one of your own everyone should be infected with it and let the strong survive

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    According to one of your own everyone should be infected with it and let the strong survive

My own what?

Prem League asks players to take a 30% wage cut.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/03/premier-league-clubs-will-ask-players-to-take-30-per-cent-wage-drop-cuts-deferrals
    Premier League players will be asked to take a 30% drop in their wages, via cuts or deferrals or both, in response to the coronavirus pandemic, the clubs agreed at a meeting on Friday.

The move came as the 20 top-flight teams said they would give £125m to the EFL and National League to help their clubs through the crisis and donate £20m to support the NHS, communities, families and vulnerable groups.

A Premier League statement said: “In the face of substantial and continuing losses for the 2019-20 season since the suspension of matches began, and to protect employment throughout the professional game, Premier League clubs unanimously agreed to consult their players regarding a combination of conditional reductions and deferrals amounting to 30% of total annual remuneration.”

Further talks on the issue are due to be held on Saturday involving the Professional Footballers’ Association, league, players and club representatives.

Good.

A lot of companies will be enforcing this here and in the UK I'd imagine.

Prem League asks players to take a 30% wage cut.

Suppose that's a better solution than your suggestion of infecting them all with the virus

I would personally be against a wage cut, rather the players donate their wages, to pay the every day workers at their clubs or to the NHS in their locality. Otherwise the only beneficiary are the clubs owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

As they say, 80% of the people wont even know they had it or only experience mild symptoms, so what's really needed is a vaccine for the other 20%, the high risk and the elderly, a bit like the yearly flu jab really.. that's not comparing it to the flu as an illness, more in how a vaccination would need to be used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

they reckon the mortality rate (you can'y be sure because a lot of the time people don't know they have it) is just under 1%. This is actually bad enough when you consider how contagious it is but it goes up to 10% for those over 70, which is terrifying. A vaccine is giving you a mild dose of it.

I'm am not a doctor

It's just what the media told me

Trigger wrote: »
    As they say, 80% of the people wont even know they had it or only experience mild symptoms, so what's really needed is a vaccine for the other 20%, the high risk and the elderly, a bit like the yearly flu jab really.. that's not comparing it to the flu as an illness, more in how a vaccination would need to be used

Yeah that's what I figure but that means we vaccinate everybody at risk and elderly and then everybody else walks around hoping they don't have an undiagnosed underlying condition and contract it.

Maybe it's the same as flu but I'm not in the at risk category and I'm afraid of catching this. I'd imagine a lot of people going to games are too. Pepe Reina's story was terrifying

sugarman wrote: »
    Why good?

The only one benefiting for the most part is the owners.

PL players pay roughly £700m in taxes to the UK government each year from the wages they earn.

A 30% paycut bring would that down to around £450m.

£250m would go a long way to helping out the NHS and other government resources.

Seen a few tweets earlier

https://twitter.com/jonathanliew/status/1245839597721927681?s=19

https://twitter.com/cotterill_david/status/1245696855973015552?s=19

gimli2112 wrote: »
    they reckon the mortality rate (you can'y be sure because a lot of the time people don't know they have it) is just under 1%. This is actually bad enough when you consider how contagious it is but it goes up to 10% for those over 70, which is terrifying. A vaccine is giving you a mild dose of it.

I'm am not a doctor

It's just what the media told me

They are trying to work on a vaccination that does not have the need to give a dose, but still develop the antibodies to kill it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement