Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No surprise there. Fans came out yesterday and was only time the club would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Juventus would not accept winning Serie A title due to coronavirus - FA chief

The mark of a decent club, if they can't win it on the field they won't accept it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

lol praising Juventus for saying they will not claim the title if the season there is voided, forgetting they are still claiming those titles they won by match fixing so much for being a decent club

lol parsing Juventus for saying they will not claim the title if the season there is voided, forgetting they are still claiming those titles they won by match fixing so much for being a decent club

Relax will you, nobody died

Fantastic news today lads.

• Advertisement

6 wrote:
    Fantastic news today lads.

What?

Juventus not being willing to accept a title they didn't win on the pitch?

That's great leadership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hold on, there's 2.5 million millionaires in the UK?

Nonsense.

So 1 in every 24 people is a millionaire?

NIMAN wrote: »

Nonsense.

Isn't it 1 in 33 in Dublin or close to that

brinty wrote: »
    What?

Juventus not being willing to accept a title they didn't win on the pitch?

That's great leadership

Season will be finished. Uefa and Premier league have the heads screwed on. Great leadership for sure. Other heads falling off all over the place on social media !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

sugarman wrote: »
    Why good?

The only one benefiting for the most part is the owners.

PL players pay roughly £700m in taxes to the UK government each year from the wages they earn.

A 30% paycut bring would that down to around £450m.

£250m would go a long way to helping out the NHS and other government resources.
    Dead right. Any pay cut the players take should go towards the staff on average wages at clubs so they don't lose their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

NIMAN wrote: »

Nonsense.

Property. A big chunk of which is inherited or will be, be it a townhouse in London/Edinburgh or East Anglian arable farms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

lol parsing Juventus for saying they will not claim the title if the season there is voided, forgetting they are still claiming those titles they won by match fixing so much for being a decent club

Isn't laughing out loud a sign of being relaxed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Well actually close to 60 thousand people worldwide have died so far due Covid-19.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Isn't laughing out loud a sign of being relaxed?

Would not worry about him, he gets upset when the table is posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's big of them, one point ahead of second place!

Would be pretty brazen of them to try and paint themselves as being in the same positions as those clubs who have run away with it all season.

I'd love to think this isn't a sad pathetic Heysel reference... I really would

noodler wrote: »

Even if it’s not it is pretty distasteful with the number of people who have died with this corona virus

That's big of them, one point ahead of second place!

Would be pretty brazen of them to try and paint themselves as being in the same positions as those clubs who have run away with it all season.

More like they haven't mathematically won it
    Like plenty of clubs

noodler wrote:

What would make you think this a reference to Heysel? You really do love to think the worst of everything I say. You have such an innate ability to think the worst and then type it out. Are you that paranoid?

I'm not sure what your issue is with me but probably better if you didn't get so worked up in response to what I say every time I post.

Even if it’s not it is pretty distasteful with the number of people who have died with this corona virus

But any reference to herd immunity - a valid scientific concept - is a particular brand of heresy/stupidity/lunacy, exclusive to Irish football fans who happened to begin supporting Liverpool as kids, though!

*Personal disclaimer - I don't believe total herd immunity is the answer to the virus as hospitals would become overloaded and the death toll would spiral. However, partial herd immunity is actually what has happened thus far up until the point of lockdown, and will continue again following the end of lockdown up to the point of a second lockdown, and so forth. First wave, second wave etc. It is what's required as the alternative (strict lockdown for 12-18 months) would have far, far more devastating long terms consequences to society in terms of mental and physical health, the economy etc than this virus.*

Phew!

• Advertisement

More like they haven't mathematically won it Like plenty of clubs

Excellent point, the race by some to claim titles they haven't earned on the field of play is astonishing. It's honestly embarrassing.

As Juventus fans and now the club have come out and said they've not earned it on the porch so they wouldn't accept being awarded a title.

I don't get why some are so desperate to jump on every delay as a sign things will get finished.

Daily Record still going along line season is over with Celtic Champions and Hearts Relegated. Just want see that for the outrage

Daily Record still going along line season is over with Celtic Champions and Hearts Relegated. Just want see that for the outrage

Not outrage from Liverpool fans surely? If they just void the season in Scotland, without any outcome, then yeah Liverpool fans may get nervous. But if they're making decisions based on current league position, it's possibly good news for LFC in case the same needs to happen in England, no?

My own take is that I wouldn't want LFC handed the league without completing the season. I also don't see why a 75% complete season should be axed in order to start from 0% and simply hope that it finishes? Whenever it's safe to do so, resume the season, then worry about the next.

Not outrage from Liverpool fans surely? If they just void the season in Scotland, without any outcome, then yeah Liverpool fans may get nervous. But if they're making decisions based on current league position, it's possibly good news for LFC in case the same needs to happen in England, no?

My own take is that I wouldn't want LFC handed the league without completing the season. I also don't see why a 75% complete season should be axed in order to start from 0% and simply hope that it finishes? Whenever it's safe to do so, resume the season, then worry about the next.

What you on about? What in God's name does Celtic and Hearts got do with Liverpool:pac::pac:.

What you on about? What in God's name does Celtic and Hearts got do with Liverpool:pac::pac:.

You mention outrage so since we're on Boards I assumed you meant from Liverpool fans, since you're a Utd fan.

If you meant from the general public in Scotland (eg Rangers fans), then I apologise. ::)

Axterix champions elect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You mention outrage so since we're on Boards I assumed you meant from Liverpool fans, since you're a Utd fan.

If you meant from the general public in Scotland (eg Rangers fans), then I apologise. ::)

Iirc Kew is a Hibs fan

Have not followed the SPL in years - just took a look at the table there. What the hell happened Hearts? I always remember them being the 3rd best club up there.

Also, didn't know Rangers were so far behind Celtic. They were having a good Europa league run so I thought they were in better shape in the league.

Ah fair enough. Be outrage up there and rightly or wrongly though depending on what side you are on

• Advertisement

Have not followed the SPL in years - just took a look at the table there. What the hell happened Hearts? I always remember them being the 3rd best club up there.

Also, didn't know Rangers were so far behind Celtic. They were having a good Europa league run so I thought they were in better shape in the league.

It's a joke league at this stage. Still bringing religion into it. That league could really struggle with a prolonged break. I'd assume a few clubs are strapped for cash.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1246431017470222336?s=19

Premier league is going to be under more and more scrutiny and lose a lot of goodwill if teams keep this up.

Great that staff will be paid but government footing the largest part instead of clubs with a lot of money behind them will be viewed poorly.

6 wrote:
    Pity champions elect.

Fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The club has confirmed those staff will be paid 100 per cent of their salaries

80% from the government scheme which a club like Liverpool (or Spurs, or any of the other PL clubs that have used this) has no business being part of. Very disingenuous PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

80% from the government scheme which a club like Liverpool (or Spurs, or any of the other PL clubs that have used this) has no business being part of. Very disingenuous PR.

Are there institutions/corporations it doesn’t apply to? I don’t know enough about it, but had been under the impression it was literally for everyone in paid employment. (Also if anyone knows, have they figured out what to do with freelancers?)

I'd feel embarrassed accepting a title when I was one point ahead of the opponent.

25 though? Not even City think that would be "embarrassing".

Amazing mental gymnastics by the gruesome twosome to conflate the two though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Are there institutions/corporations it doesn’t apply to? I don’t know enough about it, but had been under the impression it was literally for everyone in paid employment. (Also if anyone knows, have they figured out what to do with freelancers?)

No, it is a free-for-all, but the point of it is for struggling businesses. Not football clubs with massive cash piles.

~Rebel~ wrote:

Club continues to pay salary of players over 100k a week, players not doing anything to help them or the NHS

Club accepts government aid to pay people on less than 500 quid a week

#Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

No, it is a free-for-all, but the point of it is for struggling businesses. Not football clubs with massive cash piles.

Do the clubs themselves have massive cash piles? Looking at Liverpool’s last set of accounts, they had 37 million in cash. That’d probably keep them going for 2-3 months if they’re paying player wages.

Clubs are forking out millions a week in player wages and have pretty much nothing coming in.

DeanAustin wrote:
    Clubs are forking out millions a week in player wages and have pretty much nothing coming in.

This is the thing, could the players not donate some of their wages to pay these low paid employees.

Look at Manchester United yesterday, the players donated 30% of their salary for April to the NHS in the Manchester area.

This is the thing, could the players not donate some of their wages to pay these low paid employees.

Look at Manchester United yesterday, the players donated 30% of their salary for April to the NHS in the Manchester area.

Yeah I’d agree. Players apparently want some control of where the money is going and the PFA seem to be involved in negotiating it. I can understand their stance but they need to realise that clubs don’t have a bottomless pit of cash or anything like it.

The clubs also can’t do anything about the players and paying them I’d imagine. Stop paying them and the players could walk and it’s a lot harder to replace Harry Kane or Sadio Mane than John or Mary who work in the club shop.

It’s a **** position for everyone but I’m sure the players and clubs will do the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thankfully they won’t be handing out a PL title after 29 games, so there’s no need to debate about how stupid an idea it is

There will be no football until July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Really surprised to see Liverpool opting for the government bailout.

You would expect it from Newcastle/Ashley and Spurs/Levy would be the next suggestion but wouldn't have put Liverpool along with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

PARlance wrote: »

You would expect it from Newcastle/Ashley and Spurs/Levy would be the next suggestion but wouldn't have put Liverpool along with them.

Agreed, they may lose a lot of goodwill they have built up over the last few years.

I’d be very cynical of anything Manchester United does but they do excel at promoting/marketing themselves and PR for the club. I’d say they might think it worth continuing on paying the staff just as a PR excercise for good news. Actually makes sense , particularly if there is more and more disillusionment with this furlough bullsh*t.

Shame on clubs abusing the government system because they can. It’s one thing cutting costs but the optics is awful, one person still getting millions from a club while staff whose wages are relatively peanuts will get only 20% from the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You'll Never Walk Alone*

*Unless money comes into the equation. In which case, you certainly will walk alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Genuinely surprised at that from Liverpool. Really thought that they wouldn't go down that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Corholio wrote: »
    Genuinely surprised at that from Liverpool. Really thought that they wouldn't go down that route.

Why not?

Sure they destroyed their local community.

People here are living in Disneyland. More clubs will go down this route. English football clubs don’t have massive stockpiles of cash despite the revenue they generate. Their revenue streams have almost completely dried up. Even if players take a 30% pay cut, clubs will still be forking out millions in wages every month.

This situation is not sustainable beyond a few months without clubs borrowing a lot of money or games being played behind closed doors. I know everyone assumes greed when clubs do anything motivated by money and a lot of the time that’s justified but right now, clubs are looking at how they’ll survive in any sort of reasonable shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Club continues to pay salary of players over 100k a week, players not doing anything to help them or the NHS

Club accepts government aid to pay people on less than 500 quid a week

#Disgraceful

Well that's just wrong anyways and not surprising from you and other posters who just want to get digs in. There is plenty good that has come out of the club so far in this crisis.

Jordan Henderson is the player behind the big player initiative to organise a big fund of money form all PL players to give to the NHS. So the players are doing something to help the NHS.

So if you are going to go on big rants about how disgraceful the club is, at least get your facts right first.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why not?

Sure they destroyed their local community.

Jordan Henderson, and Andy Robertson are also the 2 main players behind the initiative to raise £40,000 to give to the food banks in the Liverpool area, which the club then matched and gave another £40,000. And Robertson is a huge driver behind this and regularly contributes to food banks in Liverpool & Scotland

Liverpool as a club have also committed to paying each of the Anfield match day staff for all remaining games this season, even if they don't take place. This cost £700,000.

Of course the news today of the furlough of the remaining staff (I don't know which remaining staff there is or how many etc) is not good but as I said earlier at least the staff are getting their wages. But the fact it's coming mainly from the government fund is not good I agree. That should be for small business not big corporations.

There is also ongoing talks with senior players about wage cuts or deferrals.
    PARlance wrote: »

I agree with you here. Surprised myself as I said above. I thought they club would commit to paying all staff, just as they had done with the match day aquad. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if a lot more clubs go down this route too. Spurs, afaik, gave staff pay cuts before they handed out furloughs to staff.

There will be more clubs doing the same yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Piss-taking aside, United are gonna do it too. It's a matter of time and I'll be scathing of them too when they do it.

Talk about cash flow and football clubs not having unlimited money all you want. But when things get back to normal they'll be one of the fastest businesses to get back in the black so they should take a serious hit now, because they can.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Piss-taking aside, United are gonna do it too. It's a matter of time and I'll be scathing of them too when they do it.

Talk about cash flow and football clubs not having unlimited money all you want. But when things get back to normal they'll be one of the fastest businesses to get back in the black so they should take a serious hit now, because they can.

Where should they get the money once the cash runs out?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement