Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's no surprise. The Dutch have been as bad if not worse then UK.

Only Sweden who have no lockdown are worse then 2 countries mentioned

The Dutch numbers are actually getting better. Hospital admissions have levelled off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Is there any chance the back and forth United vs Liverpool bickering could be moved to its own thread. This is a useful thread for information but the last 5 pages has been back and forth point scoring about the furlough scheme. It makes it unuseable. It ruined the general premier league thread as well.

The Dutch FA are holding a press conference this morning.
    Competition leader KNVB emphasizes on every occasion to follow the guidelines of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and the government. For the time being, they say that small gatherings such as training sessions up to and including 28 April are prohibited and large events such as football matches until 1 June. A lot of clubs have come out for ending the season now.

They have 8 games left in the season and are struggling to finish it before the August 3rd deadline.
    When the clubs say end it now do they mean completely void the season or award places as they stand?

When the clubs say end it now do they mean completely void the season or award places as they stand?

Void the season. Even AZ Alkmaar who are level on points with Ajax have said to void the season.

Void the season. Even AZ Alkmaar who are level on points with Ajax have said to void the season.

Don't Ajax want to finishing the season and there they'll be champions as they are currently top?

Isn't that why Van Gaal has been very critical of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Dutch numbers are actually getting better. Hospital admissions have levelled off now.

Good to hear, cause as things stand death rate there is 10% which is crazy bit not surprising.

6 wrote: »
    Don't Ajax want to finishing the season and there they'll be champions as they are currently top?

Isn't that why Van Gaal has been very critical of them?

Van der Saar initially said they'd follow the Dutch FA who wanted to finish the season. Overmars later said to end the season now. I also read that the plan could be to base the European qualification on the current standings. No league winner as the season isnt finished. And no relegation, but the teams from the 1st division promoted. I'm in favour of the later. Not because it would deny Ajax a league but because it would give clarity for all clubs. I do not think the club i support can afford to pay the players for the extra months. They normally release a lot of players in June and sign them again in august which gives them a month of less wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If the season is voided, what happens to bets placed on final league positions etc.?

Will Bookmakers have to refund all bets on "X to win/y to get relegated" etc., or (more likely) is there something in the Ts & Cs allowing them to keep all the stakes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

If the season is voided, what happens to bets placed on final league positions etc.?

Will Bookmakers have to refund all bets on "X to win/y to get relegated" etc., or (more likely) is there something in the Ts & Cs allowing them to keep all the stakes?

A bookmaker isn’t obliged to pay you anything for any bet you ever make. It’s a gentleman’s agreement.

They love a bit of good PR, Paddy Power especially so most will refund the bets or refund them as a free bet at minimum.

The smaller bookies might be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Is there any chance the back and forth United vs Liverpool bickering could be moved to its own thread. This is a useful thread for information but the last 5 pages has been back and forth point scoring about the furlough scheme. It makes it unuseable. It ruined the general premier league thread as well.

I'm not having a go here, but United and Liverpool are the biggest supported clubs in the country so it's only natural that a lot of things will centre on the two clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

La Liga: There are three proposed dates for the league to restart: May 28, June 6 and June 28

• Advertisement

Great hear light at end of tunnel. I cant see much happening in May but hopefully June or July football might get back on track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Waiting for the meltdown on Sunderland, i mean they are even putting players in furlough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Great hear light at end of tunnel. I cant see much happening in May but hopefully June or July football might get back on track

And to me, having football back during the summer would be absolutely fantastic as it would mean that we are closer to being back to normality and a safer environment.

Head of the FA

Clarke said: "We are committed to finishing the professional football season as this resolves the issues of promotion and relegation together with title winners on merit.

"However, we may not be able to finish the season as football is not our priority - human life is - and we will do as the government directs as the pandemic unfolds.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52191973

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brinty wrote: »
    FYP

Obsessed you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The Dutch FA are holding a press conference this morning.
    Competition leader KNVB emphasizes on every occasion to follow the guidelines of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and the government. For the time being, they say that small gatherings such as training sessions up to and including 28 April are prohibited and large events such as football matches until 1 June. A lot of clubs have come out for ending the season now.

They have 8 games left in the season and are struggling to finish it before the August 3rd deadline.

best to ask that to the Man Utd fans obsessed with everything Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Waiting for the meltdown on Sunderland, i mean they are even putting players in furlough

What? They're in League One :confused:

What? They're in League One :confused:

They are still a big club, i thought it was bad for clubs to do it to non playing staff must be worse the to do it to players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

They are still a big club, i thought it was bad for clubs to do it to non playing staff must be worse the to do it to players.

About the only comparison between Liverpool and Sunderland is they both haven't won a Premier league title yet, Other then that they are on different planets.

• Advertisement

Fúck sake, here comes the latest bout in the infamous Boards rivalry between Sunderland and Newcastle fans, this place will be a mess. Good luck to the mods.

/unfollows thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If Donald Trump is a fan of the Premier League it will be restarting very soon, sooner than anyone thinks, the best finish to a season ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zico wrote: »
    If Donald Trump is a fan of the Premier League it will be restarting very soon, sooner than anyone thinks, the best finish to a season ever.

Is this on Dana White's island???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'm not having a go here, but United and Liverpool are the biggest supported clubs in the country so it's only natural that a lot of things will centre on the two clubs.

Things centering those clubs isn't the problem.

It's the pissing match between posters that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

'Will Grigg's in furlough, your defence is terrified'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Spurs continue to play all the right notes during this crisis, just not necessarily in the right order.

Breaking the social distancing rules now to train.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/07/jose-mourinho-and-tottenham-players-break-coronavirus-rules-to-train-ndombele-sanchez-sessegnon

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Are you trolling? Bizarre argument is all I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Sure as night follows day.

League 1 club that sold its star player for 1.5 mill and who’s morals as a club allows Netflix to film all the goings on at the club (good & bad) for a few bob is getting compared to Champions league winners and a club that can drop 140 million pounds on 2 players within 6 months and then peddle the YNWA/This means more motto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

England are creeping up to 1,000 deaths a day territory, I think we’ll see a big announcement from the PL over the next week or so.

Nope i thought it was bad for football clubs to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Spurs continue to play all the right notes during this crisis, just not necessarily in the right order.

Breaking the social distancing rules now to train.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/07/jose-mourinho-and-tottenham-players-break-coronavirus-rules-to-train-ndombele-sanchez-sessegnon

Yes they really are a delightful club, now resorting to open cheating to try and steal a march on their rivals. They should be docked points for that as a minimum and be forced to observe in a front line hospital to see what real workers have to put up with in these times and why examples are needed of good practice.

Shameful club they really are a disgrace to football and the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cheating? WTF?

Yes cheating.

All other clubs responding to recommendations to isolate and stay at home and do what you can from there. UK government have said "outdoor exercise can be undertaken only with other people from the same household" clearly Spurs have put two fingers up to this.

So Spurs are ignoring the rules to try and be further advanced in fitness, should the season resume, than other clubs. Trying to gain an unfair advantage so yes cheating how else do you describe that.

Nope i thought it was bad for football clubs to use it

Rich ones. Try using some context.

Yes cheating.

All other clubs responding to recommendations to isolate and stay at home and do what you can from there. UK government have said "outdoor exercise can be undertaken only with other people from the same household" clearly Spurs have put two fingers up to this.

So Spurs are ignoring the rules to try and be further advanced in fitness, should the season resume, than other clubs. Trying to gain an unfair advantage so yes cheating how else do you describe that.

Show me the rule in the PL rulebook that says training together is an offence, and cheating.

Its no more cheating than Walker engaging in some bedroom exercise.

Player exercising is not cheating.

Well said
    Rich ones. Try using some context.

Wouldn't suit their argument

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes cheating.

Mourinho and three players who live near him doing this without the knowledge of the club and then being reprimanded by the club, means that Spurs are not ignoring anything.

Also three players in a squad of 25 isn't going to get Spurs any fitter than anyone else. I think you've a dislike of Spurs that is leading your thought process here.

Show me the rule in the PL rulebook that says training together is an offence, and cheating.

Show me the rules in PL role book which deal with a pandemic out break on a global scale.

We're in unprecedented times, I think it's totally unacceptable of Spurs to do this.

Everyone and their dog kicked Liverpool last week, rightly so, about their furloughing staff. Spurs deserve the same treatment for this

Mourinho and three players who live near him doing this without the knowledge of the club and then being reprimanded by the club, means that Spurs are not ignoring anything.

Also three players in a squad of 25 isn't going to get Spurs any fitter than anyone else. I think you've a dislike of Spurs that is leading your thought process here.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.

No other club has pulled this stunt this was not a few players out who happened on each other this was with the clubs manager.

People like Mourinho should set an example - well I guess they are and that is its OK to cheat. And that is my opinion.

No other club has pulled this stunt this was not a few players out who happened on each other this was with the clubs manager.

People like Mourinho should set an example - well I guess they are and that is its OK to cheat. And that is my opinion.

Again they did it without the knowledge of the club and have been publicly reprimanded by the club. How does this constitute Tottenham Hotspur FC cheating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Also three players in a squad of 25 isn't going to get Spurs any fitter than anyone else. I think you've a dislike of Spurs certain team that is leading your thought process here.

Is that not the topic of this thread though, going by the past 5 or so days?

• Advertisement

Its no more cheating than Walker engaging in some bedroom exercise.

Player exercising is not cheating.

This is a serious situation the UK Government (belatedly) issued these instructions (from the Guardian report)

"During the pandemic, the government has made it plain that outdoor exercise can be undertaken only with other people from the same household." That supersedes anything in the PL rule book.

Not one other club have ignored this advice, and this was not just a few players this also included the club manager.

Please point out where I said players exercising was cheating, of course it is not and to suggest I did is at best disingenuous.

They should be setting an example.

But Mourinho overseeing 3 players in public is no better/different to the club overseeing ALL the players via GPS monitoring, HR monitoring, Video sessions, home training etc.

It is bad from a PR point of view, but the exercise is no different.

3 people who live locally, who were doing the same thing, met up to do the thing (which they shouldn't have done). MEH.

This is a serious situation the UK Government (belatedly) issued these instructions (from the Guardian report)

"During the pandemic, the government has made it plain that outdoor exercise can be undertaken only with other people from the same household." That supersedes anything in the PL rule book.

Not one other club have ignored this advice, and this was not just a few players this also included the club manager.

Please point out where I said players exercising was cheating, of course it is not and to suggest I did is at best disingenuous.

So if the exercising is not cheating, then how is them exercising cheating?

Cheating? WTF?

Its the biggest emergency since WW2.

All people are asked to do is stay at home or isolate if out.

Footballers are not done sort of special Race.

I mean to do it in a public park and all.

Again they did it without the knowledge of the club and have been publicly reprimanded by the club. How does this constitute Tottenham Hotspur FC cheating?

Publicly reprimanded the players :pac::pac: they have been requested to respect social distancing when exercising outdoors. Yea that is really telling the players, from that they did not "reprimand" Mourinho then. Wonder why that is.

Publicly reprimanded the players :pac::pac: they have been requested to respect social distancing when exercising outdoors. Yea that is really telling the players, from that they did not "reprimand" Mourinho then. Wonder why that is.

So you can't back up the claim that Spurs as a club are cheating then? I thought so.

Its the biggest emergency since WW2.

All people are asked to do is stay at home or isolate if out.

Footballers are not done sort of special Race.

I mean to do it in a public park and all.

I'm not arguing against the opinion they should not have done it.

I'm just arguing that it is not cheating. It is not something the PL should be docking them points over.

Well said

Wouldn't suit their argument
    Mod: What is this supposed to achieve? Final warning to stop shit stirring.

They should be setting an example.

But Mourinho overseeing 3 players in public is no better/different to the club overseeing ALL the players via GPS monitoring, HR monitoring, Video sessions, home training etc.

It is bad from a PR point of view, but the exercise is no different.

3 people who live locally, who were doing the same thing, met up to do the thing (which they shouldn't have done). MEH.
    So if the exercising is not cheating, then how is them exercising cheating?

Thats OK then the rules as they stand don't apply to Spurs got it.

There was me thinking otherwise, I have no idea where I got that idea from at all. I mean in the UK over 6,000 dead their PM in intensive care but the Spurs manager and some players arrange a training session where they "meet" accidentally. Where could I get that notion from that Mourinho and Spurs were trying to pull a fast one.

Good Lord

• Advertisement

Thats OK then the rules as they stand don't apply to Spurs got it.

There was me thinking otherwise, I have no idea where I got that idea from at all. I mean in the UK over 6,000 dead their PM in intensive care but the Spurs manager and some players arrange a training session where they "meet" accidentally. Where could I get that notion from that Mourinho and Spurs were trying to pull a fast one.

Good Lord

Lol, nice try with the emotional stance.

They shouldn't have done what they did.

Just as Grealish shouldn't have gone to a party.

It is not, however, cheating.

Wrong, yes. From a Lockdown/Social Distancing perspective.

But not cheating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement