Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I'm not arguing against the opinion they should not have done it.

I'm just arguing that it is not cheating. It is not something the PL should be docking them points over.

And that's fine and I do respect your opinion.

But I don't buy the accidentally meeting in a park line and if that is true then they are trying to gain an unfair advantage and that is cheating.

Still lets move on its not as though any of us know for sure I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There were 3 players there

Get a grip folks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And that's fine and I do respect your opinion.

But I don't buy the accidentally meeting in a park line and if that is true then they are trying to gain an unfair advantage and that is cheating.

Still lets move on its not as though any of us know for sure I guess.

How is Mourinho and ONE player training on the park and two other players jogging together gaining an unfair advantage in a squad of 25 players? They argument is nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

One training and two jogging by :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

One training and two jogging by :pac::pac:

Looks like social distancing to me.. all above board

:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

https://twitter.com/skysportspl/status/1247845393175461888?s=21

No matter what side of the fence your on with Liverpool and with should the season be finished or not, that’s a classy response from a classy man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I feel after the comments from Italy and now this clubs may have been briefed to some extent about the season not getting completed. No smoke without fire and that’s 2 in a matter of hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Whatever about the season being finished.

If in August/September no games are being played.
    Clubs even in the PL will be in real trouble.

Transfer window will need to be open and I could see the bigger clubs in ok shape taking players from teams in poor financial state.

This season wont be finished if it isnt by August/September,

Then Im not sure what will happen with the league as some clubs like Bournemouth & Aston Villa could go under among others.
    Wages are too high compared to the revenue for far too many clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If the PL is close to calling the season finished, then we are about to hear some very bad news from the UK goverment.

The PL won't be calling this season if there is the possibility of playing in July, imo. So if they are preparing to call it done, they have guidance that the Government will not be allowing football to return until August, earliest.

And if that is inclusive of behind closed doors (assuming the PL haven't ruled that out)... fook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cheating? FFS. It's stupid, irresponsible and deserving of a bollocking.

But cheating? :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

And if that is inclusive of behind closed doors (assuming the PL haven't ruled that out)... fook.

I cant see why they would or should rule it out. It's the most sensible way to proceed once things are at a level that football can resume. Keeping football suspended purely because you cant have 50k people in your ground is stupid. Large gatherings like that may be off the cards for longer than restrictions that would stop the match itself happening.

I cant see why they would or should rule it out. It's the most sensible way to proceed once things are at a level that football can resume. Keeping football suspended purely because you cant have 50k people in your ground is stupid. Large gatherings like that may be off the cards for longer than restrictions that would stop the match itself happening.

indeed - I think behind closed doors is how football is most likely to return.

My comment is purely in relation to the speculation that the PL is going to call the season finished, soon.

If they are doing so it is because, imo, the Government have guided that there will be no football, behind closed doors or otherwise, until August at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I feel after the comments from Italy and now this clubs may have been briefed to some extent about the season not getting completed. No smoke without fire and that’s 2 in a matter of hours

What comments from Italy?

Udinese CEO (I think) said the PL are preparing to announce soon the season is finished, similar to Belgium. Udinese are owned by the Pozzo family, who also own Watford, so there is a link between Udinese and the PL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Someone form Udinese, who have the same owners as Watford, said that the PL was about to be canceled.

Udinese CEO (I think) said the PL are preparing to announce soon the season is finished, similar to Belgium. Udinese are owned by the Pozzo family, who also own Watford, so there is a link between Udinese and the PL.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-suspension-dismissed-udinese-18062196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

936 deaths on UK. And they not even near peak yet

Crazy figures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

MD1990 wrote: »
    Whatever about the season being finished.

If in August/September no games are being played.
    Clubs even in the PL will be in real trouble.

Transfer window will need to be open and I could see the bigger clubs in ok shape taking players from teams in poor financial state.

This season wont be finished if it isnt by August/September,

Then Im not sure what will happen with the league as some clubs like Bournemouth & Aston Villa could go under among others.
    Wages are too high compared to the revenue for far too many clubs.

It definitely is something that I can see happening. Cash is low for football clubs, and is only going to go lower over the next few months. Only the clubs will big cash reserves will be able to make any sort of big-ish transfers, picking off the players from the clubs that need money to survive.

Sounds like Man Utd are already planning on it.

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1247895673611010049

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

And UK figures only include deaths in hospital, so if someone died at home or in a nursing home they aren't counted, so figure probably around a thousand in reality.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

But no PL footballers have died so game on asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Spurs to win the next available title.

All because of the fitness they maintained in the public park.

Absolute cheats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nearly 2000 die in any given day in the uk though, if they can keep it around 1000 they will be doing well.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Nearly 2000 die in any given day in the uk though, if they can keep it around 1000 they will be doing well.

It's no worse than the flu then?

A hoax?

And UK figures only include deaths in hospital, so if someone died at home or in a nursing home they aren't counted, so figure probably around a thousand in reality.

Didn’t realise that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

That is not the case. I know a guy who died at home last Thursday after a week self isolating, he has been counted in the West Mids figures.

Change in stance since the start of the outbreak.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/covid-19-deaths-outside-hospitals-to-be-included-in-uk-tally-for-first-time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Zico wrote: »
    It's no worse than the flu then?

A hoax?

Shut up with that ****e will ya. Keeping numbers under a 1000 would be a great job. A 1000 sounds shocking but in a population of over 60 million it's not as deadly as we first thought.

Shut up with that ****e will ya. Keeping numbers under a 1000 would be a great job. A 1000 sounds shocking but in a population of over 60 million it's not as deadly as we first thought.

How deadly did you think it was going to be?

You sound better informed than me.

1000 sounds like a low number out of 60m alright.

Be grand in a few weeks do you reckon?

• Advertisement

That is not the case. I know a guy who died at home last Thursday after a week self isolating, he has been counted in the West Mids figures.

Change in stance since the start of the outbreak.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/covid-19-deaths-outside-hospitals-to-be-included-in-uk-tally-for-first-time

The 938 (two more since the initial post) all died in hospital.

UK Government briefing continue to use death in hospital as headline figure. Hence the 938 today.

Very sorry for the person who you knew though.

No it's going be a long drawn out affair I feel, but hopefully restrictions will lessen after 2 more weeks. I'm hoping we can see some football behind closed doors by start of June.

Predicting a peak of almost 3000 a day by mid April.

Edit: Obviously multiple organisations have made multiple predictions, and this figure could well prove to be incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

2000 a day die? So this one virus has increased the death rate by 50%. That’s a 50% increase in all deaths in the UK. Deaths from all known cancers, deaths from all heart related issues, all deaths by traffic accidents, all deaths by suicide, all deaths by drowning, all deaths by accidents at home, all deaths by homicide. I could go on. Bundle them all in together and then think this virus has increased their overall total number by 50%!

adox wrote: »
    2000 a day die? So this one virus has increased the death rate by 50%. That’s a 50% increase in all deaths in the UK. Deaths from all known cancers, deaths from all heart related issues, all deaths by traffic accidents, all deaths by suicide, all deaths by drowning, all deaths by accidents at home, all deaths by homicide. I could go on. Bundle them all in together and then think this virus has increased their overall total number by 50%!

Plus the 1500 taking up more beds in ICU departments.

I honestly dont think people get it at all and why we need lockdown

Predicting a peak of almost 3000 a day by mid April.

Next week? If they peak next week that'll be a good result for them

• Advertisement

Yes exactly its shocking but compared what we were told to expect a few ago, I think it's better than we could have expected.

Plus the 1500 taking up more beds in ICU departments.

I honestly dont think people get it at all and why we need lockdown

I dont think there are many people if any who dont think we need a lockdown. We can't lockdown forever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The numbers are shocking but they always were going to be with the mistakes the UK government made at the start. The next week is going to be gruesome and a lot worse than it needed to be. However the peak is due to happen in the next week or two and hopefully things will look a lot more positive in a couple of months. We have had some on here claim that the peak is in 10 weeks which with the rate the virus is growing would mean tens of thousands deaths a day.

The numbers are shocking but they always were going to be with the mistakes the UK government made at the start. The next week is going to be gruesome and a lot worse than it needed to be. However the peak is due to happen in the next week or two and hopefully things will look a lot more positive in a couple of months. We have had some on here claim that the peak is in 10 weeks which with the rate the virus is growing would mean tens of thousands deaths a day.

10 days maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yes exactly its shocking but compared what we were told to expect a few ago, I think it's better than we could have expected.

They are predicted to be the worst hit country in Europe, possibly accounting for 40% of all deaths on the continent. Were there worse predictions than that?(genuine question)

• Advertisement

They are predicted to be the worst hit country in Europe, possibly accounting for 40% of all deaths on the continent. Were there worse predictions than that?(genuine question)

I would be shocked if they ended up worse than Italy or Spain. I never saw that percentage, that would make them possibly worse than Italy, Spain and france all together. I dont even see how that could be possible, they were late with their lockdowns but it was rampant in them 3 countries before anyone even knew what it really was.

Peak in UK is expected between 11 April and 14th but worry is because lack of social distancing compared to countries like Italy that it may take extra 2 weeks to month to get down levels that Italy and Spain have got.

Like said best thing that could happen UK is piss rain this weekend cause nicer the day the more people out and just delays it with more people getting it. (Could say same about here)

6 wrote: »
    10 days maybe?

Well every expert is saying within the next two weeks and that would mirror whats happening in every other country. However a couple of posters on here are expecting the peak in 10 weeks around Mid June which if they are correct and everyone else is wrong will be a scary thought. Or maybe they were just trying to make their point sound a bit more dramatic by exaggerating.

Peak in UK is expected between 11 April and 14th but worry is because lack of social distancing compared to countries like Italy that it may take extra 2 weeks to month to get down levels that Italy and Spain have got.

Like said best thing that could happen UK is piss rain this weekend cause sunniicer the day the more people out and just delays it with more people getting it. (Could say same about here)

They really made a mess of it with their policies caused so much needless death.

Is the death rate per capita in NI not lower than ours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is the death rate per capita in NI not lower than ours?

It is. 41 deaths per million of population compared to 48 down here so about 15% lower.

Well every expert is saying within the next two weeks and that would mirror whats happening in every other country. However a couple of posters on here are expecting the peak in 10 weeks around Mid June which if they are correct and everyone else is wrong will be a scary thought. Or maybe they were just trying to make their point sound a bit more dramatic by exaggerating.

We spoke on this previously and I also posted the link too the source of when I said it’s predicted to be June. I’m neither trying to exaggerate or over dramatize the time line. If the uk has revised these figures and time lines since we spoke so be it. The link was accurate when we last spoke

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/coronavirus-uk-says-peak-of-its-outbreak-up-to-14-weeks-away-1.4201475%3fmode=amp

We spoke on this previously and I also posted the link too the source of when I said it’s predicted to be June. I’m neither trying to exaggerate or over dramatize the time line. If the uk has revised these figures and time lines since we spoke so be it. The link was accurate when we last spoke

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/coronavirus-uk-says-peak-of-its-outbreak-up-to-14-weeks-away-1.4201475%3fmode=amp

The article is from the 12th of march. They hadnt even banned football in the Uk at that stage and were talking about if being pointless them closing schools back then. Any projections from there are so off its crazy when you think of all the mistakes the UK have made. You made the point 2 or 3 days ago that the peak was 10 weeks away .

The article is from the 12th of march. They hadnt even banned football in the Uk at that stage and were talking about if being pointless them closing schools back then. Any projections from there are so off its crazy when you think of all the mistakes the UK have made. You made the point 2 or 3 days ago that the peak was 10 weeks away .

2/3 days ago? Perhaps double that timeline. Either way it was I posted it and my previous point stands re. If they reviewed it. Not 1 poster at the time called out my timeline either. Truth is no one knows which I said previously

2/3 days ago? Perhaps double that timeline. Either way it was I posted it and my previous point stands re. If they reviewed it. Not 1 poster at the time called out my timeline either. Truth is no one knows which I said previously

You said a few days ago that the peak was 10 to 14 weeks awayqa. I called you out on it then as it would mean they would have about a hundred thousand deaths a week if the peak was 10 weeks away. Anyway its all cleared up now you were using an article from march 12 to back up your ideas which was atleast 3 weeks out of date and when the Uk government were persuing a different strategy than they are now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement