Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

With all the English reg cars spotted around country, I say another peak will erupt few weeks after holidays here and in UK

Crazy scenes in this country today too. Not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

You said a few days ago that the peak was 10 to 14 weeks awayqa. I called you out on it then as it would mean they would have about a hundred thousand deaths a week if the peak was 10 weeks away. Anyway its all cleared up now you were using an article from march 12 to back up your ideas which was atleast 3 weeks out of date and when the Uk government were persuing a different strategy than they are now.

An article which I posted a link too at that time also. They weren’t “my ideas” they were the authors ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

gstack166 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/skysportspl/status/1247845393175461888?s=21

No matter what side of the fence your on with Liverpool and with should the season be finished or not, that’s a classy response from a classy man.

To be fair, as a Liverpool fan, after hearing that from one of the players does put me more at ease in case the the season is voided and no title for LFC. That's life. And if people want to use it as digs/banter/abuse against the club next season (whenever that season is!), then so be it as that says more about them than anything else.

If Mane is representative of the LFC players thinking, then it's a good sign that they'll use the situation to spur them on next season.

The man's an inspiration and an unassuming leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

niallo27 wrote: »
    I would be shocked if they ended up worse than Italy or Spain. I never saw that percentage, that would make them possibly worse than Italy, Spain and france all together. I dont even see how that could be possible, they were late with their lockdowns but it was rampant in them 3 countries before anyone even knew what it really was.

Very difficult to say isn't it. Apparently the highest daily increase in deaths recorded in Italy was 971 on the 28th March and in Spain 950 on 3rd April so the UK hitting 936 yesterday does not bode well for them.

The statistical analysis that projected 66,000 UK deaths was by The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation in Seattle, I really hope that is absolutely pessimistic (they predict 401 in Ireland).

But if its correct the season has to be called closed and hope the new one can start behind closed doors in August. If the peak rise in deaths in Italy was late March and they hope to get going behind closed doors in June the same time frame would make that July for the UK and that's too late I think to finish this season.

There should be champions though enough of the league has been played and its cut and dry, much as it pains me Liverpool are deserving of the title, but the FA cup should be scrapped this season.
    I don't think there should be relegation expand the PL next season for one season. These are unique times so some unique decisions will need to be made at some stage, more so if IHME's analysis is even close (and 50% out would still be terrible).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/08/uks-coronavirus-death-toll-how-accurate-is-it-and-how-does-it-compare

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Southampton annoucne players have agreed to defer part of their wages until June at least.

I can see this being the start of a lot of clubs doing this. Was always the more likely outcome than the blanket 30% pay cut (not deferal) that people criticised the PFA for rejecting.

Some clubs will be later to do it than others, for financial reasons, but I would think we will see this at all clubs before long.

Good thread on the threat to football resulting from the current postponement and affects on next season.

Owner of Acrington Stanley.

https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/1248112461259177984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/press-release-man-utd-offers-support-and-appreciation-to-nhs?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter

Great to see from Manchester United

That's how a top club should be doing things to help others in these unprecedented times.

Well done to all.

brinty wrote: »
    https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/press-release-man-utd-offers-support-and-appreciation-to-nhs?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter

That's how a top club should be doing things to help others in these unprecedented times.

Well done to all.
    Fantastic stuff and well done to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

brinty wrote: »

Well done to all.

It's great social awareness and seriously a credit to the club. I think we're all happy the Glazers remain in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Fantastic stuff and well done to all involved

Great thing to do, what is worrying is how the NHS in Manchester will cope after there were 660 house parties reported to the the police in Greater Manchester, i am sure it is the same in other cities but this has just popped up on the BBC live thread on the Virus. You really have to question what people are doing.

Parties with DJs, fireworks, and bouncy castles were among 660 house and street gatherings reported to have taken place in Greater Manchester last weekend.

Another 122 groups of people playing sport were also reported to police.

Famous faces from across the region - including England footballers Marcus Rashford and Steph Houghton, Coronation Street actor Daniel Brocklebank and Happy Mondays singer Shaun Ryder - appeared in a video to urge people to stay inside.

"I'm pleading with you all to please stay at home and stay isolated," said Brocklebank, who plays Billy Mayhew in the long-running soap. England captain Houghton said: "If your mates are asking for a game of football please say no."

Great Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins warned officers will use legislative powers on those who break the rules over Easter weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good thread on the threat to football resulting from the current postponement and affects on next season.

Owner of Acrington Stanley.

https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/1248112461259177984

Wow, yeah, fairly harrowing stuff! From that, it actually sounds like he’s more looking to scrap both this and next season really, only restarting when risk of the virus is well and truly gone and they can rely on match day revenue again.

I wonder if there’s a compromise to be found, where the top two divisions - who get a bigger % of their income through TV rather than gate receipts - could continue to play on when it’s safe. Finish this season, and start the next, but with the divisions below them frozen.

Could be interesting - you have Leeds, W.Brom and another come up after this season, and 3 prem clubs go down - but no relegation from the Championship. Then, with ~9 games to go the following season, you unfreeze the lower divisions and have them finish out their season from the previous year in front of full crowds... they get the financial protection they need by not having to operate at a loss from missing attendances, the top divisions still get to play on the basis of TV money, and you avoid the lawsuits of clubs in those lower divisions who were looking to get promoted since they’re still in the same position when football returns.

gimli2112 wrote:
    It's great social awareness and seriously a credit to the club. I think we're all happy the Glazers remain in charge.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that second sentence

Bit of a back handed compliment ;)

Great thing to do, what is worrying is how the NHS in Manchester will cope after there were 660 house parties reported to the the police in Greater Manchester, i am sure it is the same in other cities but this has just popped up on the BBC live thread on the Virus. You really have to question what people are doing.

Manchester is not alone in this. I'm sure it's happening in Liverpool, London, Birmingham, Newcastle etc. Their prime minister in intensive care and they're still not taking out b seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

English Football League: Season 'can be finished in 56 days'
    The English Football League season can be completed in 56 days when it is safe to resume amid the coronavirus pandemic, clubs have been told.

But it is assumed that matches will be played behind closed doors.

A letter sent to all 72 EFL clubs by chairman Rick Parry said no training should resume until at least 16 May.

The EFL said it was hopeful the campaign could finish in the summer, but there is still no indication of when it might begin again.

All 24 sides in the Championship still had nine matches to play when the league was suspended on 13 March.

Some clubs in League One have 12 games remaining, while in League Two, teams have either nine or 10 matches remaining to complete the regular season.

But the EFL estimates it can finish all fixtures within two months, including the play-offs.

"How and when we return (including training) is clearly subject to change and any decisions will be taken in conjunction with the government and relevant health authorities," the letter said.

"It is our working assumption at this stage that matches will be played behind closed doors when we eventually return and as part of our contingency planning we are absolutely mindful of the need to try and mitigate the cost of this to clubs as best we can."

The EFL season is currently suspended indefinitely with the last handful of games taking place in League One and League Two on 10 March.

Several sides have already put players and staff on furlough or temporary leave.

The letter also suggested the start of next season might be delayed.........

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52230105

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

That's good news.

I am no Euclid, but just going on some notes I've scribbled out here, that would be 8 weeks. A little less than 2 months.

I still think that the ridiculous Qatar 2022 offers a silver lining in that it affords leagues like the PL the chance to run their next 2 seasons on a January - October timeline. Those 56 days/8 weeks/2 months remaining of the current season, hopefully we'd be in a position to play that out by October/November and finish up by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I am no Euclid, but just going on some notes I've scribbled out here, that would be 8 weeks. A little less than 2 months.

I still think that the ridiculous Qatar 2022 offers a silver lining in that it affords leagues like the PL the chance to run their next 2 seasons on a January - October timeline. Those 56 days/8 weeks/2 months remaining of the current season, hopefully we'd be in a position to play that out by October/November and finish up by Christmas.

That all makes sense.. especially if they could wrangle the postponed Euros to take place over the winter too.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52230105

Good news.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That all makes sense.. especially if they could wrangle the postponed Euros to take place over the winter too.

Euros will be in the summer, next summer 2021 there is also to be Copa America, Gold Cup and Olympics summer will be a mess. Mexico could say no to the Copa America and have all 3 on at the same time. Euros, Gold Cup and Copa America.

Olympics will be a little later but since that is U23's it will not effect the leagues.

Could be a case of giving teams a month or so off over the summer for those comps. It will allow those players to go play and those other players not selected a summer holiday with family. It is all pie in the sky but just have to see how things work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

One of my mates has started a fundraising initiative to keep things ticking over at our club as we don't have millions and are fan-owned. His idea is to give the club a sell out attendance via virtual tickets to cushion the blow of lost income. Basically, you donate the price of a ticket, a pie or a pint and it goes towards helping during these crappy times. The current attendance is capped at 3640 so it's possible. It’s a good idea and is only aimed at people who are able to give. It has raised over 2k already. Have a look and maybe consider either a donation or sharing on social media if you can. Thank you

Help to virtually sell out Dalymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

With the world cup taking place in december in 2022 and this really taking hold. It might be an idea to have the next couple of seasons done in a calender year format. As in September to November this year finish off this season. Then for 2021 and 2022 run the season from Jan till Nov with a bit of a break in the Summer. After the world cup start looking at getting it back to normal season. Thats assuming this thing ends up being as bad as its looking it might.

I suggested that a month back. Still think its the best option. Whenever its safe id get this season finished. Then with a few weeks break Id get the next season started with the aim of finsihing it by Nov 21. This allows for another shutdown if needed if another wave of this comes back in the winter. You basically have from July/ Aug till Nov 21 to get 1 and a quarter seasons done with some leeway for another lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

But then to get back on track you need an 8 month break before the 2023- 24 season starts. Thats a long break for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

There'll be little appetite for all but a very few EFL clubs to finish the season behind closed doors. It'll cost them more than just knocking it on the head now, as they would revert back to paying full wages to players and no income from the gate. Its the worst of both worlds for most of League 1 and 2.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think there will be clubs in the PL that won’t agree to playing behind closed doors, especially teams around the relegation zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think there will be clubs in the PL that won’t agree to playing behind closed doors, especially teams around the relegation zone.

On what basis?

They'll lose more than ticket revenue of the season is voided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

noodler wrote: »
    On what basis?

They'll lose more than ticket revenue of the season is voided.

If the season is voided they get to stay in the Premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Euros will be in the summer, next summer 2021 there is also to be Copa America, Gold Cup and Olympics summer will be a mess. Mexico could say no to the Copa America and have all 3 on at the same time. Euros, Gold Cup and Copa America.

Olympics will be a little later but since that is U23's it will not effect the leagues.

Could be a case of giving teams a month or so off over the summer for those comps. It will allow those players to go play and those other players not selected a summer holiday with family. It is all pie in the sky but just have to see how things work out.
    I'd say after this there won't be much appetite for holidays with the family.
    Bar Tottenham, they've probably seen enough of their families at this stage!

They'd find it tough to gain any traction. Playing behind closed doors can and does happen in football. Refusing to play games because a team is in trouble will be seen as opportunist. I presume they would be fined and have points deducted or whatever punishment would apply to any team refusing to play a game in normal circumstances.

It won't be jus tabout completing the 9 games behind closed doors, it is very likely next season starts behind closed doors too. so if they were to refuse to play behind closed doors they are simply refusing to play, and that won't go down well.

The lower down the ladder you go, the more important the match day revenue is, but to lose match day AND TV money?

I would also wonder if there is a big enough vote for playing behind closed doors, can they really refuce? Would it end up being forfeiting a match and possible huge fines from the FA too?

For me, the issue around playing behind closed doors is how do you stop fans from gathering outside the stadium anyway. Sure, it wouldn't be the 50K match attendance, but you would easily get thousands at Anfield if Liverpool are about to win the PL.

• Advertisement

jacool wrote: »
    I'd say after this there won't be much appetite for holidays with the family.
    Bar Tottenham, they've probably seen enough of their families at this stage!

Talking about summer 2021

Bit off topic

That's what makes me sick. Qatar might turn into perfect time for WC. With all people killed, injured and overworked it makes me sick that a WC is still going ahead there, even days after more corruption was published.

It won't be jus tabout completing the 9 games behind closed doors, it is very likely next season starts behind closed doors too. so if they were to refuse to play behind closed doors they are simply refusing to play, and that won't go down well.

The lower down the ladder you go, the more important the match day revenue is, but to lose match day AND TV money?

I would also wonder if there is a big enough vote for playing behind closed doors, can they really refuce? Would it end up being forfeiting a match and possible huge fines from the FA too?

For me, the issue around playing behind closed doors is how do you stop fans from gathering outside the stadium anyway. Sure, it wouldn't be the 50K match attendance, but you would easily get thousands at Anfield if Liverpool are about to win the PL.

You might have a police warning beforehand that if people gather outside a ground when a game is going on, they'll shut down the game. The PL would be obliged to be on board, declare a forfeit and 3 points dropped for the home club. That would keep people away.

'Players can 'walk away' from clubs on June 30'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11971338

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Players can walk away from clubs all they want on June 30th, but why would they bother when they can't register with a new club and keep playing.

I can't see many players turning down a new 3 month contract and keeping a wage coming in, in favour of just sitting at home jobless until the next season registration window opens. No team to train with either.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Players can walk away from clubs all they want on June 30th, but why would they bother when they can't register with a new club and keep playing.

I can't see many players turning down a new 3 month contract and keeping a wage coming in, in favour of just sitting at home jobless until the next season registration window opens. No team to train with either.

I suppose they could sign with a new club, even if they couldn't actually play for them yet. But which club after this crisis will be willing to pay a few months wages to a new player to not play, when they can just sign them when the 3 month (or however long) contract extension with the previous club has been completed.

Probably too, clubs will be obliged to offer 3 month entensions to all players at the end of their contracts, not just the ones who the club want to keep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Can't play for them, but can get paid by them. Free agents might stay on but you can guarantee that Ziyech, for example, is in for a massive pay rise on July 1st whether he plays or not.

Can't play for them, but can get paid by them. Free agents might stay on but you can guarantee that Ziyech, for example, is in for a massive pay rise on July 1st whether he plays or not.

If you own a club, would you pay a player for 3 months to not play for you, at the exact same time that you have just had a massive period of losing money and financial uncertainty, combined with little to no income such as gate receipts?

If all player wants to leave they should be able to. If the club want them to stay on a part of time basis, and they are happy to do that, surely that can be sorted out.

Is it being over egged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

If you own a club, would you pay a player for 3 months to not play for you, at the exact same time that you have just had a massive period of losing money and financial uncertainty, combined with little to no income such as gate receipts?

Potentially yes, if you are signing the player without a transfer fee and if you felt it was a bit of coup to sign the player and wanted to avoid losing out on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

6 wrote: »
    If all player wants to leave they should be able to. If the club want them to stay on a part of time basis, and they are happy to do that, surely that can be sorted out.

Is it being over egged?

IMO yes. From the start it was something people were using as reason to void the season.

These are unprecedented times. No need to over complicate stuff. Let players leave or stay if they and the clubs want want

IMO yes. From the start it was something people were using as reson to void the season.

These are unprecedented times. No need to over complicate stuff. Let players leave or stay if they and the clubs want want

It's probably something that could be be sorted very easily by the powers that be. A temporary tweak to the way things are done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If the season is voided they get to stay in the Premier league.

So then let's be honest and actually post what we mean.

Clearly it isn't "behind closed doors games" they'd have a problem with.

IMO yes. From the start it was something people were using as reson to void the season.

IMO no. In the premier league it will probably be fine for clubs to pay match day staff and players for an extra 2 months with no extra income. So if you only look at the premier league then it is being over egged.

Those extra expenses could cause a lot of issues for lower league teams. As I've said i know my club releases players at the end of June and signs players in start/mid august and they really need the savings on wages.

In the premier league you also have a situation like Henderson on loan at Sheff Utd. Would Man Utd extend his loan and potentially do themselves out of a champions league place knowing the Amount of money it would cost them?

noodler wrote: »
    So then let's be honest and actually post what we mean.

Clearly it isn't "behind closed doors games" they'd have a problem with.

Obviously. I didn't say it was. But i can clearly see why a team in danger of relegation would want to void the league.

• Advertisement

IMO no. In the premier league it will probably be fine for clubs to pay match day staff and players for an extra 2 months with no extra income. So if you only look at the premier league then it is being over egged.

Those extra expenses could cause a lot of issues for lower league teams. As I've said i know my club releases players at the end of June and signs players in start/mid august and they really need the savings on wages.

In the premier league you also have a situation like Henderson on loan at Sheff Utd. Would Man Utd extend his loan and potentially do themselves out of a champions league place knowing the Amount of money it would cost them?

Sheffield United hold Henderson's registration for the 2019/2020 season. He can't play for any other team in that period. He can play for Sheffield United for the duration of the season. Is the loan being extended?

Sheffield United hold Henderson's registration for the 2019/2020 season. He can't play for any other team in that period. He can play for Sheffield United for the duration of the season. Is the loan being extended?

But even if he can't play for Man Utd its an advantage for them if he can't play for Sheff Utd. So if you're Man Utd do you be a good guy and potentially cost yourself hundreds of millions?

But even if he can't play for Man Utd its an advantage for them if he can't play for Sheff Utd. So if you're Man Utd do you be a good guy and potentially cost yourself hundreds of millions?

Is there a clause in his contract saying that he can be recalled from loan during the season? If there is no clause, then how else would Man United stop him playing for Sheffield United?

Is there a clause in his contract saying that he can be recalled from loan during the season? If there is no clause, then how else would Man United stop him playing for Sheffield United?

Loan ends on the 31-05-2020 according to transfermarket. I assume all loans have an end date and don't just mention a season.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/dean-henderson/profil/spieler/258919

Loan ends on the 31-05-2020 according to transfermarket. I assume all loans have an end date and don't just mention a season.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/dean-henderson/profil/spieler/258919

I would guess that that date is an arbitrary date picked in July to signal the presumed end of the season. They didn't mention a date.

Man Utd announced the deal as a loan for the entire 2019/2020 season.
    https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/dean-henderson-signs-new-man-utd-deal-and-joins-sheff-utd-on-loan

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement