Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

FitzShane wrote: »
    I would guess that that date is an arbitrary date picked in July to signal the presumed end of the season. They didn't mention a date.

Man Utd announced the deal as a loan for the entire 2019/2020 season.
    https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/dean-henderson-signs-new-man-utd-deal-and-joins-sheff-utd-on-loan

The season was meant to finish on the 17th May so the 31st of May was an arbitrary date after the season ends. But now that date is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

noodler wrote: »
    So then let's be honest and actually post what we mean.

Clearly it isn't "behind closed doors games" they'd have a problem with.

Maybe a year before football is played in front of a large crowd unless there is a miracle cure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

FitzShane wrote: »
    If you own a club, would you pay a player for 3 months to not play for you, at the exact same time that you have just had a massive period of losing money and financial uncertainty, combined with little to no income such as gate receipts?

In the example I used Ziyech has signed a contract to become a Chelsea employee on July 1st. He has a legal contract saying that they will start paying him from then. Best of luck getting out of that commitment just because you can't register him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But even if he can't play for Man Utd its an advantage for them if he can't play for Sheff Utd. So if you're Man Utd do you be a good guy and potentially cost yourself hundreds of millions?

There are lots of dick moves clubs could potentially do to fuck over other teams - but I just don't think they will. Given the hardships everyone is going through, I think it's far more likely we'll see drama free compliance and common sense, with clubs following the spirit of their agreements rather than finding loopholes to screw each other. I'd be genuinely astonished if Utd don't let Henderson keep playing for the full season with Sheff Utd, since that's the deal they agreed day one.
    In the example I used Ziyech has signed a contract to become a Chelsea employee on July 1st. He has a legal contract saying that they will start paying him from then. Best of luck getting out of that commitment just because you can't register him.

That's sort of got nothing to do with the discussion though... the situation is all about players who will be out of contract on that date. Ziyech won't be of course, since he's already signed his new deal with his new club. Though to be honest I wouldn't be too surprised if Chelsea actually let him play the last few games for Ajax anyway (if the Dutch season concludes), since he's registered with them. Again, just sticking with the spirit of the original agreement.

The bigger issue is definitely what happens for the lower league clubs, and I've no idea how they're gonna work that one out, as many clubs just can't afford those extra months of wages. For the Premierleague though, I think it'll all be grand, people largely just doing what they agreed to do despite the shift in dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There are lots of dick moves clubs could potentially do to fuck over other teams - but I just don't think they will. Given the hardships everyone is going through, I think it's far more likely we'll see drama free compliance and common sense, with clubs following the spirit of their agreements rather than finding loopholes to screw each other. I'd be genuinely astonished if Utd don't let Henderson keep playing for the full season with Sheff Utd, since that's the deal they agreed day one.

That's sort of got nothing to do with the discussion though... the situation is all about players who will be out of contract on that date. Ziyech won't be of course, since he's already signed his new deal with his new club. Though to be honest I wouldn't be too surprised if Chelsea actually let him play the last few games for Ajax anyway (if the Dutch season concludes), since he's registered with them. Again, just sticking with the spirit of the original agreement.

I remember a good few seasons ago Chelsea were playing Atletico in a knock-out CL tie (was it the semi?) and they had the option of forcing Courtois to sit out the tie as he was on loan to Atletico at the time, but they chose not to.

Following the massive upheavel caused by this virus, the appetite from the clubs will be just to get on with it and not over-complicate matters un-necessarily imo, as it's in their interests to get football back on as soon as it's safe to do so.

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1248609157340516352?s=19

England already surpassing Spain/ Italy numbers and not even peaked yet

Weeks behind them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1248609157340516352?s=19

England already surpassing Spain/ Italy numbers and not even peaked yet

Weeks behind them

Wait till they all come back from weekend in West Cork or Wexford.

Lockdown in UK has been nothing but disaster. Irish people will suffer too

Wait till they all come back from weekend in West Cork or Wexford.

Lockdown in UK has been nothing but disaster. Irish people will suffer too

Football is irrelevant but just to provide some context to some who think Football is going to come back soon

It's getting further away the worse it gets

A true disaster how England are handling this

Football is irrelevant but just to provide some context to some who think Football is going to come back soon

It's getting further away the worse it gets

A true disaster how England are handling this

It's crazy... like, whatever about the government decisions, but I really can't understand how the people themselves still aren't entirely taking it seriously. How do they not see what happened elsewhere, see their own numbers spiralling, and just stay the fuck inside?!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's crazy... like, whatever about the government decisions, but I really can't understand how the people themselves still aren't entirely taking it seriously. How do they not see what happened elsewhere, see their own numbers spiralling, and just stay the fuck inside?!

I've watched some disturbing videos online of the ignorance present in England. Tbf some of that ignorance is on this island also. But it's really bad in England.

Parties being shut down in Manchester was a recent one also. Such selfish behaviour.

Not many seem to care about the advice but one could say Englands initial approach to Covid and then it's subsequent u-turn on the approach gave the impression to the public that covid is only a minor issue when in reality it's incredibly serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There are different things to think about playing behind closed door tbf, the unquantifiable advantage teams can get playing in front of home fans is something you need to consider

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I've watched some disturbing videos online of the ignorance present in England. Tbf some of that ignorance is on this island also. But it's really bad in England.

Parties being shut down in Manchester was a recent one also. Such selfish behaviour.

Not many seem to care about the advice but one could say Englands initial approach to Covid and then it's subsequent u-turn on the approach gave the impression to the public that covid is only a minor issue when in reality it's incredibly serious.

1 in 3 in UK think restrictions are harsh. That’s about 22 million who maybe have a attitude that will cause harm to themselves or worse to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

1 in 3 in UK think restrictions are harsh. That’s about 22 million who maybe have a attitude that will cause harm to themselves or worse to others.

1 in 3 people in UK are dumb it seems. Great stat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

56 days to finish the season. Just play the games that count behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

do fifa have any jurisdiction over european leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Where was Infantino's concerns about human life when thousand were dying and in slave labor so his and FIFA's World Cup 2022 could happen in Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

As has been said here many times. No football untill not 1 single person is in danger because of “a game” This will include games behind closed doors as it will strain emergency services, police, ambulance crews, doctors etc that could be used elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Zico wrote:
    56 days to finish the season. Just play the games that count behind closed doors.

Are you for real?
    How do you decide what games count?
    How do you take care of the medical needs?
    How do you stop people gathering outside the grounds. How do you police it?

Look at what's happening in the UK. Still house parties going on. 1 in 3 people say these restrictions are too harsh. Multiple footballers have breached the restrictions. How are you going to stop people gathering around the grounds.

Absolutely no way the season can be finished as things stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Nobody is really saying for football to rush back. July/august behind closed doors is what is being mentioned. The numbers in england are to be expected and will get worse over the next week as they have messed it up. Unfortunately at some stage lives will have to be risked for the economy to start functioning somewhat again(including football) unless we all continue doing what we are doing till next year. The money isnt there for that to happen. Football is going to be behind closed doors until we have a vaccine. Its a disaster for all bar the PL. The biggest shame is the damage its going to do to the league in this country as there is no TV deal to bail it out. Its a disaster for underage football as they will have missed a half a season and thats best case scenario.

Theory’s going around down here that until a vaccine is found no mass gatherings of more then 50 people will allowed anywhere and bars have been told an optimistic re-opening even with Social distancing measures in July. No official announcements so as not to cause mass hysteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1 in 3 people in UK are dumb it seems. Great stat :pac:

Closer to 52 in 100 tbh :D

Theory’s going around down here that until a vaccine is found no mass gatherings of more then 50 people will allowed anywhere and bars have been told an optimistic re-opening even with Social distancing measures in July. No official announcements so as not to cause mass hysteria.

Where is that for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As has been said here many times. No football untill not 1 single person is in danger because of “a game” This will include games behind closed doors as it will strain emergency services, police, ambulance crews, doctors etc that could be used elsewhere

It’s not really a football conversation but I don’t know if that will be possible. When the curve starts to dip south, pressure will start to ramp up to open things because the economic effects of months away, can have a serious health risk also.

It will be a much smarter person than me who is able to manage the balance effectively, between doing that humanely, and putting thousands/hundreds of thousands at risk of a 2nd wave.

If they can’t do that effectively then the whole world is waiting for a cure/vaccine.

Unless theres a vaccine or for some reason the virus ups and vanishes, then mass gatherings will surely lag behind stuff reopening. So the reality is football behind closed doors or no football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Where is that for?

WhatsApp. :o

Unless theres a vaccine or for some reason the virus ups and vanishes, then mass gatherings will surely lag behind stuff reopening. So the reality is football behind closed doors or no football.

I dunno like, when you consider how poorly a sizeable minority are managing 4 weeks of isolation/lockdown, what would the world be like if there was another 4 months of it?

If the cure/vaccine was to take another year, I don’t think there will be many aspects of life that stay shut down for another 12 months. To be honest, we’ve so little experience of anything like that, that it’s difficult to know how things would look.

CSF wrote: »
    I dunno like, when you consider how poorly a sizeable minority are managing 4 weeks of isolation/lockdown, what would the world be like if there was another 4 months of it?

If the cure/vaccine was to take another year, I don’t think there will be many aspects of life that stay shut down for another 12 months. To be honest, we’ve so little experience of anything like that, that it’s difficult to know how things would look.
    Stuff reopening and up to 70,000 people sqeezed together in the corridors of football stadiums is a bit different though. At the very least I'd imagine a few weeks of behind closed doors to ease football back in rather than go straight from 0 to 100.

Stuff reopening and up to 70,000 people sqeezed together in the corridors of football stadiums is a bit different though. At the very least I'd imagine a few weeks of behind closed doors to ease football back in rather than go straight from 0 to 100.

Yeah. I’m certainly not trying to act like I have a clear picture of it. The numbers, dates etc are guesswork to the average Joe Soap, and probably not far off it for the experts who haven’t lived through something like this in practice in modern society with widespread travel etc.

The only part of the point that I felt specific about is that isolation won’t last longterm.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-vote-live-celtic-rangers-21844795

A lot going on in Scotland. Very surprised to see no activity in the Celtic and Rangers threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gives Gerrard the perfect opportunity to walk now since he was hinting at it before the crisis started.

I safely say the majority of Rangers players would be happy to the way he keeps throwing them under the bus Jose style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Where is that for?

In Cork people who work in and around the HSE. Publicans who are directly affected by the marquee, Cork City Fc, Independent park gigs etc. Again it’s just theory’s from various people but a lot of people with similar story’s/rumors/lies depending how you take it. Only time will tell if it’s true tho or not but the shift from we’re nearly out of the woods too now saying it’s going too take months and months is universal. Even as far ahead as Westlife gigs at the end of August they are saying will not be happening.

I don't think that was ever in question anyway... behind-closed-doors games were only ever gonna happen when the peak was well passed, numbers were diminishing, and the health services were no longer running at full capacity.

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah. I’m certainly not trying to act like I have a clear picture of it. The numbers, dates etc are guesswork to the average Joe Soap, and probably not far off it for the experts who haven’t lived through something like this in practice in modern society with widespread travel etc.

The only part of the point that I felt specific about is that isolation won’t last longterm.

Makes perfect sense alright. Totally logical that there's a slow and steady relaxing of measures, rather than everything being grand one day. Maintaining a certain amount of social distancing, while allowing up to 50 people in a place means you could see restaurants, shops, cinemas etc open up, with a little distance kept between tables etc. That feels like a decent buffer for the medium term, until a proper permanent solution is found in a year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

xtal191 wrote: »

Thats just terrible news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

jayo26 wrote: »
    Thats just terrible news.

Think he is asymptomatic so hopefully he will be ok,was in hospital for a different matter

In Cork people who work in and around the HSE. Publicans who are directly affected by the marquee, Cork City Fc, Independent park gigs etc. Again it’s just theory’s from various people but a lot of people with similar story’s/rumors/lies depending how you take it. Only time will tell if it’s true tho or not but the shift from we’re nearly out of the woods too now saying it’s going too take months and months is universal. Even as far ahead as Westlife gigs at the end of August they are saying will not be happening.

That would be my take on it aswell. The next year is not going to be pretty. However we will need to adapt and try and find solutions around all the problems. I just cant see how you can have a concert or a football match with a crowd.

That would be my take on it aswell. The next year is not going to be pretty. However we will need to adapt and try and find solutions around all the problems. I just cant see how you can have a concert or a football match with a crowd.

I'm forever seeing concerts come up, and finding all the tickets are long gone, so this year I was really active about it, checked out who was playing where for practically the whole year, and bought a rake of tickets waaaay in advance. Gonna have some serious credit with ticketmaster now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I remember a good few seasons ago Chelsea were playing Atletico in a knock-out CL tie (was it the semi?) and they had the option of forcing Courtois to sit out the tie as he was on loan to Atletico at the time, but they chose not to.

Following the massive upheavel caused by this virus, the appetite from the clubs will be just to get on with it and not over-complicate matters un-necessarily imo, as it's in their interests to get football back on as soon as it's safe to do so.

Uefa stepped in over that actually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/sport/uefa-step-in-to-ensure-courtois-can-play-against-chelsea-after-all-423456

I think people are expecting too much morals from clubs and players. Man utd are alreaduy talking about taking advantage with transfer targets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/sport/uefa-step-in-to-ensure-courtois-can-play-against-chelsea-after-all-423456

I think people are expecting too much morals from clubs and players. Man utd are alreaduy talking about taking advantage with transfer targets.

There's two aspects to support the moral argument - one is that they're all going through the same thing together, want the show back on the road asap, and just not being dicks about it makes that all a bit easier.

The other aspect is that it could be very damaging to be seen to be acting selfishly at this time. PR is so huge, and we've already seen with Liverpool that anyone that does anything at all that goes against the broader push for fairness and togetherness will be absolutely savaged for it. I'm sure you can imagine the vicious headlines if Utd decided to not honour their season long loan deal and instead used the date as a technicality to stop Henderson playing.

• Advertisement

It was the interviewer who said take advantage. Ole just answered the question.

Vaccine could be 18 months away. That would mean next season behind closed doors too, or perhaps a chunk of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

6 wrote:
    Vaccine could be 18 months away. That would mean next season behind closed doors too, or perhaps a chunk of it

Or there is no next season as this pandemic and what it needs are way more important than a game

brinty wrote: »
    Or there is no next season as this pandemic and what it needs are way more important than a game

Not much chance that actually happens. Too many people working in that industry earning too much money for it to shut down for 18 months and nobody able to work for that length of time.

All these government schemes that subsidise the unemployed, are not capable of running that length of time.

Most things will have to open eventually, vaccine or no, which is why the effectiveness of isolation is so important now.

If there's no football until August 2021, I'd imagine most clubs would be out of business. And if the premier league didn't kick off for another 18 months, you'd have to presume most other top leagues would be in the same boat. Therefore, most clubs would be in tatters.

It's probably the ultra negative pessimistic sensationalist way of looking at it, but I doubt it'll go that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Why are so many people here thanking this doomsday scenario? Does anyone honestly think that both this season and next season won't happen?
    6 wrote: »
    If there's no football until August 2021, I'd imagine most clubs would be out of business. And if the premier league didn't kick off for another 18 months, you'd have to presume most other top leagues would be in the same boat. Therefore, most clubs would be in tatters.

An absolute disaster for any football fan is this comes to pass. Football will be an entirely different beast once it returns (in 2022?) in this scenario.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Why are so many people here thanking this doomsday scenario? Does anyone honestly think that both this season and next season won't happen?

Im not sure that it can work out like that really... at least going by what we know of it so far. For the medical resources to be running at full capacity for 18 months rather than the projected maximum of ~2 to 3 months would mean something has drastically changed from what’s been happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a heads up

RTE 2 today are showing All the Goals of the 2018 FIFA World Cup at 4.05

might make a welcome change from pornography

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

Makes perfect sense. That even sounds a bit early to be honest... I’m kind of expecting the latter half of next year. It just seems hard to justify mass gatherings like that before there’s a vaccine freely available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement