Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I don't really know what motivates soccer fans these days, I'm getting old. It does look like the Premier League is an "essential service" for many people and therefore an acceptable exception to the Covid 19 prevention measures.

Modern populism means that the PL will go ahead whether it's the right thing to do or not.

In the second week of March thousands went to Cheltenham and some CL games remember and I recall Johnny Ward on OTB saying Liverpool fans would never watch football again if the season was cancelled.

There's a lot of pressure to get things going again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

It has been said for some years that premier league clubs business models are flawed, and when you are paying over 60% of your income on wages then unforeseen circumstances could cripple football.
    I picked up this article from Forbes from April last year.
    Salary costs in the 20-team Premier League for the 2017/18 season increased to £2.9B ($3.76B), an increase of £400M ($520M) over the previous season.

The ratio of wages to revenue increased from 55% to close to 60%. Sixty percent is considered to be a “best practice” benchmark for teams and in 2017/18 the Premier League was split down the middle – 10 teams were above the line while the other team fell below the 60% benchmark.

Crystal Palace, Everton, Bournemouth, Leicester City, and Southampton constituted the top five highest ratios ranching from 78% to 75%.

Spurs were an outlier with a little under 40% of the team’s revenue being paid out in wages. The next four lowest were Huddersfield Town and Manchester United at 50%, and Manchester City and Newcastle United at 52%.

Chelsea was at 55%, with Arsenal and Liverpool both at 58%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wages are usually the biggest outlay of most companies, no?

Without the government stepping in, how long would any company survive this if they had to keep paying their employees in full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wages are usually the biggest outlay of most companies, no?

Without the government stepping in, how long would any company survive this if they had to keep paying their employees in full?

Just out of curiosity did a quick google to see if there was a general rule of thumb for wages v total outlay... this was the first result; https://smallbusiness.chron.com/percent-business-budget-salary-14254.html

"Depending on the sector of your business, you may spend between 40 to 80 percent of gross revenues on employee salaries and benefits combined."

Seems like football falls within normal parameters in that case, especially since they're the businesses main assets and chief product all in one. It just looks mad because of the sheer numbers involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

brinty wrote: »
    Or there is no next season as this pandemic and what it needs are way more important than a game

But it will come back, this is the football and Coronavirus thread, people are going to be wondering/surmising when there is a lack of guidance about what will happen around FOOTBALL due to CORONAVIRUS. You can more or less guarantee that football will be back for next season at the latest however it may be a much different product than we are currently used to for the foreseeable or at least until a cure is discovered. Things are certainly getting better over here, most people are now observing physical distancing and the number of deaths recorded has gone down for the second day in a row, I am not suggesting that we have turned a corner however it is becoming more obvious to people that this is fairly important for the nation as a whole (probably precipitated to some degree by HRH having a go on Sunday) and with the death of people at all ends of the age spectrum a healthy dose of cop on has been seen to be growing throughout the nation.

If the football clubs manage to get a deal that allows them to show the games on whatever tv channels at 3pm and the clubs can manage to pay their staff from it to keep the grounds and support staff engaged until this is all turned around then we may see a season played out at some point after all whereby winners, losers and all those in between are decided in a reasonable and fair fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It was speculated ages ago that bt and sky would go this route.

It was speculated ages ago that bt and sky would go this route.

But people still said that they’d sue the PL and demand all their money back unless this season was finished

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

It’s a smart move by Sky. Probably an agreement that the Premier League won’t entertain going down a ‘game pass’ style format & a freeze on the rights for the next bidding, & maybe will get them some extra games too like 3 love games every Sunday to make up for the games missed this season it also puts more pressure on rivals BT too who I suspect won’t be in the same position to be able not to try recuperate some losses.

Once Sky have said they won’t go looking for the money back it seems as though the writing is on the wall about the season ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But people still said that they’d sue the PL and demand all their money back unless this season was finished

Yes, people did say that, because it was a distinct possibility, and a definite talking point. Just as many such talking points around this whole situation have been. Sure look, the reality is, we've all been debating shit with very little actual firm knowledge, because there's fuck all else to do these days. And it's gonna get real tedious real fast in here if we're then met with a raft of these "but some people said the opposite of my thing, and my thing has ended up being right!" sorts of posts. (or even worse, these sorts of posts long before anything has actually even been confirmed one way or another)

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yes, people did say that, because it was a distinct possibility, and a definite talking point. Just as many such talking points around this whole situation have been. Sure look, the reality is, we've all been debating shit with very little actual firm knowledge, because there's fuck all else to do these days. And it's gonna get real tedious real fast in here if we're then met with a raft of these "but some people said the opposite of my thing, and my thing has ended up being right!" sorts of posts. (or even worse, these sorts of posts long before anything has actually even been confirmed one way or another)

It’ll get tedious in here if the league is cancelled null & void or else resumes when it’s safe to do so from the Liverpool/United fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

gstack166 wrote: »
    It’ll get tedious in here if the league is cancelled null & void or else resumes when it’s safe to do so from the Liverpool/United fans.

I think all involved with just be happy with clarity one way or another at this stage so we know what's happening but unfortunately I don't see that happening for a while yet as PL themselves don't know yet.

Yes, and?

Thats also a logical outcome until something different is actually agreed.

Yes, and?

Thats also a logical outcome until something different is actually agreed.

It’s actually logical that the season can be cancelled too, even though the authorities have stated they don’t want it to happen, but people have gotten abuse for posting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

But it will come back, this is the football and Coronavirus thread, people are going to be wondering/surmising when there is a lack of guidance about what will happen around FOOTBALL due to CORONAVIRUS. You can more or less guarantee that football will be back for next season at the latest however it may be a much different product than we are currently used to for the foreseeable or at least until a cure is discovered. Things are certainly getting better over here, most people are now observing physical distancing and the number of deaths recorded has gone down for the second day in a row, I am not suggesting that we have turned a corner however it is becoming more obvious to people that this is fairly important for the nation as a whole (probably precipitated to some degree by HRH having a go on Sunday) and with the death of people at all ends of the age spectrum a healthy dose of cop on has been seen to be growing throughout the nation.

If the football clubs manage to get a deal that allows them to show the games on whatever tv channels at 3pm and the clubs can manage to pay their staff from it to keep the grounds and support staff engaged until this is all turned around then we may see a season played out at some point after all whereby winners, losers and all those in between are decided in a reasonable and fair fashion.

They are only counting the numbers of deaths who have tested positive for the virus and dying in hospitals so you can't say the numbers are going down.

I’ve spoken at length about sky & bt not sueing the premier league if the season is declared null & void and moving to Amazon or the likes if it was and I was told numerous times no way that will happen and of course they’ll sue. Excuse me for posting when it comes to fruition that they won’t Infact sue like I said they wouldn’t. It’s getting closer and closer In my opinion to having all leagues (except Belarus) declared null & void and FIFA/UEFA & local governing body’s planning on when and how next season will begin.

RasTa wrote: »
    They are only counting the numbers of deaths who have tested positive for the virus and dying in hospitals so you can't say the numbers are going down.

Health care workers who die of the virus aren’t counted either in the figures

I’ve spoken at length about sky & bt not sueing the premier league if the season is declared null & void and moving to Amazon or the likes if it was and I was told numerous times no way that will happen and of course they’ll sue. Excuse me for posting when it comes to fruition that they won’t Infact sue like I said they wouldn’t. It’s getting closer and closer In my opinion to having all leagues (except Belarus) declared null & void and FIFA/UEFA & local governing body’s planning on when and how next season will begin.

It’s the fairest outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Teams getting rewarded according to how they performed during the season is the fairest option.

• Advertisement

The FA have explained why they cancelled the lower leagues

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/apr/09/laurence-jones-fa-council-grassroots-decision-090420

rgace wrote: »
    Teams getting rewarded according to how they performed during the season is the fairest option.

But if season is voided they can’t be rewards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

But if season is voided they can’t be rewards

The results being voided does not mean that sky, BT and Amazon, didnt show any games over the last 8 months, of course there can be rewards.

If money is based on finishing position then you have to declare winners and relegation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If money is based on finishing position then you have to declare winners and relegation

Do you realise a lot of the money paid out has nothing to do with league position?

Every club is guaranteed approximately 90m before any league position is taken into account.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Do you realise a lot of the money paid out has nothing to do with league position?

Every club is guaranteed approximately 90m before any league position is taken into account.

The man knows but he’s only hoping, like every Liverpool supporter. Hope is all they have at the moment that the season gets finished.

It’s actually logical that the season can be cancelled too, even though the authorities have stated they don’t want it to happen, but people have gotten abuse for posting it.

And... I agree with that.
    I've said it myself, I've not argued against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

The man knows but he’s only hoping, like every Liverpool supporter. Hope is all they have at the moment that the season gets finished.

Same as all other clubs fans, hope is all they have too that it is cancelled, no facts or inside knowledge, just hope that a global pandemic can stop what their respective teams couldn't

• Advertisement

mightyreds wrote: »
    Same as all other clubs fans, hope is all they have too that it is cancelled, no facts or inside knowledge, just hope that a global pandemic can stop what their respective teams couldn't

That’s not true. Most fans just want the safest fairest result.

What’s Liverpool got to do with City winning a champions league, United winning a Europa League or Newcastle winning an FA Cup. They’re not hoping the league is cancelled I’m certainly not anyways but if it’s the best most safest thing to do that makes the most sense and just start again when it’s safe to do so then we just have to live with it & accept it.

I’ve a feeling that will be case with most fans except a certain section of one club in the Premier League if that’s the outcome.

Hard to please everyone of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

The article being discussed literally says "The merit payments are to be based on the table as it stands".

Only 7 million in the difference between winning it and 5th for arguments sake I think

Think it's paid out on game by game basis too.

75-80% of the games have been played anyway.

All minor in the context of what's actually happening in the world. Football means nothing right now.

Just some fail to accept that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

That’s not true. Most fans just want the safest fairest result.

What’s Liverpool got to do with City winning a champions league, United winning a Europa League or Newcastle winning an FA Cup. They’re not hoping the league is cancelled I’m certainly not anyways but if it’s the best most safest thing to do that makes the most sense and just start again when it’s safe to do so then we just have to live with it & accept it.

I’ve a feeling that will be case with most fans except a certain section of one club in the Premier League if that’s the outcome.

Hard to please everyone of course.

I don't think safety and cancelling the league have anything to do with each other ,football will return when it's safe to do, not a day sooner, that will be guaranteed and by whoever decides this - the FA, the english government, WHO, CDC or a mixture of all and theres nothing any amount of talk about safety here will change this.

It's whether it returns with 9 games for the season to finish or a new season is the debate.

Then it's on to what is fair as I support Liverpool i'll start with - is it fair to cancel when they are 25 points ahead and wont be caught? is it fair that Arsenal and Spurs will go into next years champions league when they are lying in 8th and 9th? Is it fair Leeds and West Brom won't get promoted when they are odds on to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Only 7 million in the difference between winning it and 5th for arguments sake I think

All minor in the context of what's actually happening in the world. Football means nothing right now.

So weird.

mightyreds wrote: »
    I don't think safety and cancelling the league have anything to do with each other ,football will return when it's safe to do, not a day sooner, that will be guaranteed and by whoever decides this - the FA, the english government, WHO, CDC or a mixture of all and theres nothing any amount of talk about safety here will change this.

It's whether it returns with 9 games for the season to finish or a new season is the debate.

Then it's on to what is fair as I support Liverpool is it fair to cancel when they are 25 points ahead and wont be caught? is it fair that Arsenal and Spurs will go into next years champions league when they are lying in 8th and 9th? Is it fair Leeds and West Brom won't get promoted when they are odds on to?

Not having a go at you now but I love the way Liverpool supporters act like they give a sh1t about other clubs. Talking about Leeds, WBA and the champions league places. If the premier league we’re to award Liverpool the title and have no relegation & last years top 4 go into the champions league there’s not 1 Liverpool fan would give a toss & ive no problem with that, I’d be the same but the faux outcry about other teams from them is tiresome.

I’ve no problem Liverpool being awarded the title because they won’t be caught, but the fact is that damages the integrity of the league more so than if it was null and voided.

I personally hope the season is completed fully just for the fact that I can’t stomach the thoughts of listening to those giving out that Liverpool were cheated if it is cancelled. Weather the league can restart in the summer, xmas or 2022 I don’t care so long as they can finish it.

• Advertisement

rounded for ease.
    80m per team
    12m for games shown on TV(iirc 2m etra for every game after 10shown)
    2m extra for every place from last up.

I would have thought sorting out the TV money would be one of the easier obsticles with about 75% of games played.

noodler wrote: »
    So weird.

It is weird alright but also kind of hilarious how you take offence at everything I post

Do your notifications go off immediately when I post or a 5 minute delay

I can't see that in boards profile settings

Great to see Spain numbers going down. UK should follow suit steadily sooner rather than later. Football aside that's positive news.

6 wrote: »
    Great to see Spain numbers going down. UK should follow suit steadily sooner rather than later. Football aside that's positive news.

That is great news and iirc Italy is similar?

Will the UK follow suit ,have their containment measures been good enough or any possible dates when the UK expect to see number decrease?

brinty wrote: »
    Not a chance, UK still not taking it seriously. Parties still going on. People not respecting social distancing, they're way behind where things are in Spain and Italy. The US and UK will take way longer to recover.

But yes great to see Spain's numbers going down

Can see UK's death rate peaking in the next 2 weeks.

When do you think it'll peak?

• Advertisement

Will the UK follow suit ,have their containment measures been good enough or any possible dates when the UK expect to see number decrease?

Think UK are about 6 weeks behind Spain and that's under the assumption UK containment measures are at the same level

Unfortunately they are not and are failing fast. Knowhere near the rules and discipline being enforced in other countries.

Well the lockdown measures were 11 days apart and Spain numbers have been dropping a few days now, so hopefully the UK can follow a similar pattern.

Think UK are about 6 weeks behind Spain and that's under the assumption UK containment measures are at the same level

Unfortunately they are not and are failing fast. Knowhere near the rules and discipline being enforced in other countries.

6 weeks on the assumption that they have the same containment measures? Their lockdown were 11 days apart, so how does that equate?

So, what are the you basing your data on? My assumption is not a whole pile,and it's needless scare mongering. If your data us accurate, the UK is in for hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Breaking up 600+ house parties in Manchester alone clearly shows everyone in the UK are taking things seriously

619 dead in Spain yesterday then 517 overnight.

Doesn't seem too smart to be relaxing lockdown rules just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It is weird alright but also kind of hilarious how you take offence at everything I post

Do your notifications go off immediately when I post or a 5 minute delay

I can't see that in boards profile settings

Everything you post?

You keep posting the exact same thing.

"Shame ppl here can't see there is more important things than football" or some childish version of same.

Why continue to post on a football forum? What else would be discussed on a football thread discussing covid?

You seem to just want to pop in here three times a day to state the above.

I've yet to find a poster who thinks football is the most important thing but you keep posting it.

RasTa wrote: »
    619 dead in Spain yesterday then 517 overnight.

Doesn't seem too smart to be relaxing lockdown rules just yet

Agreed. Probably should keep things tight for another few weeks

noodler wrote: »
    Everything you post?

You keep posting the exact same thing.

"Shame ppl here can't see there is more important things than football" or some childish version of same.

Why continue to post on a football forum? What else would be discussed on a football thread discussing covid?

You seem to just want to pop in here three times a day to state the above.

I've yet to find a poster who thinks football is the most important thing but you keep posting it.

You have a lock on every post I put up so be interesting to see where you see me post the exact same thing over and over

Also am I only allowed to post when you let me? Sorry dada I will pm you in future first

You might need to look harder at other sources and posters considering you are well able to find me every minute of your day

There have been 667 new deaths recorded of people who tested positive for Covid-19

Of the 667 new deaths announced today, 118 occurred on April 12 while 537 took place between April 1 and April 11, PA Media reports.

The remaining 12 deaths occurred in March, with the earliest new death taking place on March 26.

No idea how they are coming up with the numbers over here in the UK, tis a mess.

6 wrote: »
    Well the lockdown measures were 11 days apart and Spain numbers have been dropping a few days now, so hopefully the UK can follow a similar pattern.

I think the lock down measures in Spain were far more heavily policed than UK?

Didn't they have cops on the streets ,sending people home etc .

If they followed a similar process then maybe the pattern will be similar although I'm not sure UK did really push their measures too much at the beginning.

Hopefully its not far away from decreasing in UK but Spain still is having hundreds of deaths per day so far from out of the woods.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement