Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think the lock down measures in Spain were far more heavily policed than UK?

Didn't they have cops on the streets ,sending people home etc .

If they followed a similar process then maybe the pattern will be similar although I'm not sure UK did really push their measures too much at the beginning.

Hopefully its not far away from decreasing in UK but Spain still is having hundreds of deaths per day so far from out of the woods.

Not sure on how Spain was policed v the UK. Anyone I knows in the UK is doing the same stuff as us.

Someone mentioned the UK are 6 weeks behind Spain above, and deserved to be called out for scare mongering.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think the lock down measures in Spain were far more heavily policed than UK?

Didn't they have cops on the streets ,sending people home etc .

If they followed a similar process then maybe the pattern will be similar although I'm not sure UK did really push their measures too much at the beginning.

Hopefully its not far away from decreasing in UK but Spain still is having hundreds of deaths per day so far from out of the woods.

Exactly. UK failing to enforce this

Early days to thinking Spain are out of it

England as a I said look to be weeks and weeks behind Spain

6 weeks being my estimate

I don't need a daily mail article to make a personal assumption

It's ok to think that based on what has been witnessed thus far in the UKs failure to deal with the outbreak

Lockdown means **** all without enforcing the rules when broken and the populace actually following them properly

Spain are doing so
    Italy are doing so
    UK are not

If Spain have just peaked, the UK won't peak until end of May based on that 6 week prediction. Daily Mail sensationalism if that's the source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

6 wrote: »
    Not sure on how Spain was policed v the UK. Anyone I knows in the UK is doing the same stuff as us.

Someone mentioned the UK are 6 weeks behind Spain above, and deserved to be called out for scare mongering.

Cops and army have been controlling the lock down in Spain. Patrolling streets and ensuring it's just essential home departures (no liberty to exercise as per UK)

It has been very strictly observed in Spain.

gucci wrote: »
    Cops and army have been controlling the lock down in Spain. Patrolling streets and ensuring it's just essential home departures (no liberty to exercise as per UK)

It has been very strictly observed in Spain.

This context is key
    I have relatives in Spain

600 euro fine if you are found outside and not going to work chemist or shop

300 euro if you are found in a car with another person

You are only allowed walk your dog if you have a dog license and only one person can walk the dog

You must use the nearest food shop. There is no 2km rule

You have to have a letter in your car to confirm you are an essential worker

All of this is heavily enforced

Compare that to the UK

Does it to convert to 6 weeks though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Who knows.... its only a guess at best.. the same as all the opinions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thats a huge difference with the UK so.Id not be using Spain as any sort of barometer for the UK .

Heard it mentioned on the news earlier that the UK aren't including health workers or people who dont die in hospital as covid 19 cases.

That seems very odd and will skew the figures.

Seen one report where a industry figure estimated 1000 people who died in care homes may not have been counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

What about all the people wilfully ignoring the government and trying to board ferries to Ireland the other day in camper vans and with caravans. The hundreds of house parties across towns and cities, people with holiday homes leaving the cities to move there. No reports of that kind of behaviour from Spain. Spain were and are a lot more strict then the UK so on that basis they would be miles behind Spain and that's why sport won't be going ahead for a long time,the British public can't be trusted to do the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Spurs have reversed their furlough decision

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52271235

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

What about all the people wilfully ignoring the government and trying to board ferries to Ireland the other day in camper vans and with caravans. The hundreds of house parties across towns and cities, people with holiday homes leaving the cities to move there. No reports of that kind of behaviour from Spain. Spain were and are a lot more strict then the UK so on that basis they would be miles behind Spain and that's why sport won't be going ahead for a long time,the British public can't be trusted to do the right thing.

Weren't there hundreds of fines handed out in the North alone this weekend for parties barbeques etc.

Multiply that by the population of Britain, and six weeks looks like a very early peak. Could be months yet before this peaks in the UK. Thousands more lives will be lost and they still won't take it seriously.

And yet all some want is the keep talking about the return of a stupid game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Spurs have reversed their furlough decision

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52271235

Fair play, to both Spurs for their decision and you for posting something to do with football on this thread :)

brinty wrote: »
    Weren't there hundreds of fines handed out in the North alone this weekend for parties barbeques etc.

Multiply that by the population of Britain, and six weeks looks like a very early peak. Could be months yet before this peaks in the UK. Thousands more lives will be lost and they still won't take it seriously.

You could of course avoid threads talking about it if you did not want to discuss it, this is a forum to discuss such things and this thread specifically is to do with both. Of course people want to discuss something that gives them joy and when it will return, if you do not feel like discussing it I am sure there are many other places that you could discuss things that are not to do with football, TBH, not wanting to talk about it in the Soccer forum is the thing that seems strangest to me. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Do we all thank Levy and Lewis now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

RasTa wrote: »
    Do we all thank Levy and Lewis now?

Well I worry they might go out of business now, could be catastrophic or something.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Fair play, to both Spurs for their decision and you for posting something to do with football on this thread :)

You posted this yesterday
    But it will come back, this is the football and Coronavirus thread, people are going to be wondering/surmising when there is a lack of guidance about what will happen around FOOTBALL due to CORONAVIRUS. You can more or less guarantee that football will be back for next season at the latest however it may be a much different product than we are currently used to for the foreseeable or at least until a cure is discovered. Things are certainly getting better over here, most people are now observing physical distancing and the number of deaths recorded has gone down for the second day in a row, I am not suggesting that we have turned a corner however it is becoming more obvious to people that this is fairly important for the nation as a whole (probably precipitated to some degree by HRH having a go on Sunday) and with the death of people at all ends of the age spectrum a healthy dose of cop on has been seen to be growing throughout the nation.

If the football clubs manage to get a deal that allows them to show the games on whatever tv channels at 3pm and the clubs can manage to pay their staff from it to keep the grounds and support staff engaged until this is all turned around then we may see a season played out at some point after all whereby winners, losers and all those in between are decided in a reasonable and fair fashion.

Yesterday it was a thread for both but today it’s a thread for football. Ok got ya.

In the Football and Corona Virus thread??

Yeah, the thread has gone wildly off topic the last few days: People talking about when football might restart, looking at how countries are handling the virus and how that could signify when football might actually return. Yeah, the thread has gone mad alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Yesterday it was a thread for both but today it’s a thread for football. Ok got ya.

How dare you

How dare you make sense ;)

You sir disgust me

Most people in here love the game, that's why they post here, being the Soccer thread..

• Advertisement

Really? A decision taken that was as a result of the impact of Coronavirus on a football club and has since been reversed? You do realise that this so impacts both football and is something that occurred as a result of the Covid19 and so touches both, yes it has something to do with football which is great but most of what some people have been posting recently is more to do with how bad the reaction of governments are in various countries to the Coronavirus and how people should not care about football (stupid game) whilst this is going on. Now those people are fully entitled to their opinion however you would have thought that if people thought football should not be discussed then they would just not bother reading or avoid threads about football and C19 rather than pop up and every now and again and say how bad it is that people are talking about it in the thread specifically dedicated to discussing that topic.

Really? A decision taken that was as a result of the impact of Coronavirus on a football club and has since been reversed? You do realise that this so impacts both football and is something that occurred as a result of the Covid19 and so touches both, yes it has something to do with football which is great but most of what some people have been posting recently is more to do with how bad the reaction of governments are in various countries to the Coronavirus and how people should not care about football (stupid game) whilst this is going on. Now those people are fully entitled to their opinion however you would have thought that if people thought football should not be discussed then they would just not bother reading or avoid threads about football and C19 rather than pop up and every now and again and say how bad it is that people are talking about it in the thread specifically dedicated to discussing that topic.

I don't think anyone said football shouldn't be discussed...

But i thought you were giving out about people discussing the corona-virus and how it might impact on different countries and the return of football in those countries and not talking about just football..

Maybe I miss-understood your post but don't think I was the only one if I did.

But i thought you were giving out about people discussing the corona-virus and how it might impact on different countries and the return of football in those countries and not talking about just football..

When people are posting things like, who cares about the return of a stupid game then surely you do not consider that discussing the return of football? That seems to me to be the exact opposite however I am open to correction.

Thats what I took from it as well.

This is what I thought too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

When people are posting things like, who cares about the return of a stupid game then surely you do not consider that discussing the return of football? That seems to me to be the exact opposite however I am open to correction.

You posted at the same time as Brinty though? And you were replying to an earlier post?

So it makes your point kinda moot tbf.

Under the current circumstances id not blame anyone for thinking its only a stupid game.

You have no idea how this person is dealing with the crisis or how its effecting their life.Some people are under huge pressure at the moment, be it friends/relatives with the virus,job uncertainty,mounting bills etc

Maybe a little bit of sympathy wouldn't go astray on here.

Under the circumstances, football right now seems to be just a stupid game, doctors and nurses have replaced footballers as heroes for the people

They aren't mutually exclusive though. You can be suffering through the coronavirus mess, but still love the game and not think it's 'stupid'.

Might be stupid for some people, fair enough. For others it's as it was, a game they enjoy. That'll never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

As Klopp said football is the most important of the least important things.

The sooner its back the better. People need a lift and sports can be that morale booster for many a people. As long as it's safely done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The whole ‘football is just a game among this coronavirus’ stuff, while still logging onto a football forum is a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Ah sure this thread is nuts. Now you have to take a position on the UK response to Covid-19 and how far behind Spain they are based on whether you support Liverpool or Man Utd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

ricero wrote: »
    As Klopp said football is the most important of the least important things.

The sooner its back the better. People need a lift and sports can be that morale booster for many a people. As long as it's safely done.

It should be back when stadiums can host fans & fans can travel to the games without restrictions. Like it’s always been, any scutter talk of behind closed doors or in St. George’s Park or anywhere remote then it leaves open the door to overseas league games & that inevitably would lead to Super leagues etc.

Cancel the thing & when everything can be reopen like before this virus hit then play football again. However long it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

gstack166 wrote: »
    It’ll be back when stadiums can host fans & fans can travel to the games without restrictions. Like it’s always been, any scutter talk of behind closed doors or in St. George’s Park or anywhere remote then it leaves open the door to overseas league games & that inevitably would lead to Super leagues etc.

Cancel the thing & when everything can be reopen like before this virus hit then play football again. However long it takes.

Why would behind closed door games be scutter talk ? Bit bizzare to jump to conclusions about overseas games and a super league.

I'm sure the majority of football fans would be happy with a summer return behind closed doors and televised. As long as its safely done of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Football league is looking at a June 6th return if safe to do so

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/english-football-return-june-6-21858489

ricero wrote: »
    Why would behind closed door games be scutter talk ? Bit bizzare to jump to conclusions about overseas games and a super league.

I'm sure the majority of football fans woild be happy with a summer return behind closed doors and televised. As long as its safely done of course.

Because doing that is just doing it out of greed. What’s the rush to get the games played behind closed doors?

Football should return when EVERYONE can return that’s including the fans however long that takes and whether it’s the completion of this season or the start of a new one.

Would you expect a theatre company to operate behind closed doors? Then why should football.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/english-football-return-june-6-21858489

I’ll save ye a click. It won’t be safe to do so in the UK on June 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

France extends its lockdown to 11th of May. I'm sure that will have ramifications for football there. Tour De France is gone by looks of it as no gatherings till least Mid July

https://www.lequipe.fr/Tous-sports/Actualites/Le-confinement-prolonge-jusqu-au-11-mai/1127071

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It’ll be back when stadiums can host fans & fans can travel to the games without restrictions. Like it’s always been, any scutter talk of behind closed doors or in St. George’s Park or anywhere remote then it leaves open the door to overseas league games & that inevitably would lead to Super leagues etc.

Football will come back when it's safe for 40 lads to be together in a football pitch sized area. The games played on a Sunday morning don't need fans to be there for it to go ahead, so why does any other game need fans in attendance for it to be played? I've often played in games with nobody in attendance and even the odd game with just 22 players, 2 managers and a referee. No sub!

Once the environment is safe enoigh to have a football game played, then it will be played. We could be 13 months away from large gatherings of 50,000 people in an enclosed space at the same time. Football won't wait until then, A lot of livelihoods depend on it. Not every club in the world is bankrolled by a petro-state and can afford to keep paying staff while they sit at home. Think to the vendors around stadiums, the match day staff etc. Just because you don't want football to return until then doesn't mean it will happen. The overall general theme of a lot of posts in this thread is that posters don't want football to come back which is very odd.

A lot of sports, not just football, are trying to get underway ASAP, once safe, with restrictions on attendees. GAA already has tentative hurling plans in place for the All-Ireland and provincial championships to be played. An organisation famed for its attitudes to fans in attendance and money. But yet they are determined to play games with no fans in attendance and making other means of getting fans to watch all games because it's the sensible thing to do in the new situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

How can the UK government guarantee safety? Seems to be if they cant they are just going to the motions and ticking all the boxes so they ensure they have done everything in there power before they pull the plug.

France extends its lockdown to 11th of May. I'm sure that will have ramifications for football there. Tour De France is fine by looks of it as no gatherings till least Mid July

Still talk they mightn't have the TDF

FitzShane wrote: »
    Football will come back when it's safe for 40 lads to be together in a football pitch sized area. The games played on a Sunday morning don't need fans to be there for it to go ahead, so why does any other game need fans in attendance for it to be played? I've often played in games with nobody in attendance and even the odd game with just 22 players, 2 managers and a referee. No sub!

Once the environment is safe enoigh to have a football game played, then it will be played. We could be 13 months away from large gatherings of 50,000 people in an enclosed space at the same time. Football won't wait until then, A lot of livelihoods depend on it. Not every club in the world is bankrolled by a petro-state.

A lot of sports, not just football, are trying to get underway ASAP, once safe, with restrictions on attendees. GAA already has tentative hurling plans in place for the All-Ireland and provincial championships to be played. An organisation famed for its attitudes to fans in attendance and money. But yet they are determined to play games with no fans in attendance and making other means of getting fans to watch all games because it's the sensible thing to do in the new situation.

Nobody said it wouldn’t be played without fans. I’m saying it shouldn’t be played without fans & I stand by it.

Also, take your head out of the clouds if you even remotely believe the GAA have even the slightest intention of so much as a discussion of having inter county championships behind closed doors or to a restricted crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Still talk they mightn't have the TDF

My ninja edit and I replaced Fine with gone.:pac::pac:

You're right though. Looks dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Nobody said it wouldn’t be played without fans. I’m saying it shouldn’t be played without fans & I stand by it.

Also, take your head out of the clouds if you even remotely believe the GAA have even the slightest intention of so much as a discussion of having inter county championships behind closed doors or to a restricted crowd.

Galway Bay FM Sport reporting that the GAA have indicated that Club Championships will begin in June or July - No spectators, formats redrawn to ensure each team get minimum 2 games. 8 weeks to complete from start date, which is dependent on the restrictions being eased by June.

I have also heard some rumours of Junior football cups such as the FAI cup and provincial cups being played, but not the leagues as there are too many games for some teams to make up after deferring games earlier in the season. Also the GAA season will take precedence for players who play soccer & GAA so the soccer clubs will have fewer players.

They aren't mutually exclusive though. You can be suffering through the coronavirus mess, but still love the game and not think it's 'stupid'.

Might be stupid for some people, fair enough. For others it's as it was, a game they enjoy. That'll never change.

It should always be a game we enjoy and hopefully give us some light at the very end of the tunnel but it should be at the very end of the tunnel, not before we get to the end.

• Advertisement

Galway Bay FM Sport reporting that the GAA have indicated that Club Championships will begin in June or July - No spectators, formats redrawn to ensure each team get minimum 2 games. 8 weeks to complete from start date, which is dependent on the restrictions being eased by June.

I have also heard some rumours of Junior football cups such as the FAI cup and provincial cups being played, but not the leagues as there are too many games for some teams to make up after deferring games earlier in the season. Also the GAA season will take precedence for players who play soccer & GAA so the soccer clubs will have fewer players.

Junior I’d believe, there’s been communications between clubs that they could have an 8 week window to finish championships from early August.

I wasn’t clear in my response, I was talking about inter county games. They won’t be played to restricted crowds or behind closed doors & you can quote me on that.

I personally think there will be no GAA full stop until this has gone away. You can’t be encouraging social distancing but expecting to have 20-25 lads training 3 nights a week to go play another 20-25 lads on a weekend slapping off each other.

What ever about soccer, but GAA returning before its fully clear is a disaster in the making.
    Sweaty people all looking to handle the same ball, lots of physical contact, wiping foreheads, etc..

To me, soccer is a safer sport to return before GAA.

Also the GAA season will take precedence for players who play soccer & GAA so the soccer clubs will have fewer players.

So you personally know every junior player in Ireland who combines GAA & Soccer and know they will choose GAA over soccer? Absolute rubbish plenty of lads will choose soccer over GAA

What ever about soccer, but GAA returning before its fully clear is a disaster in the making. Sweaty people all looking to handle the same ball, lots of physical contact, wiping foreheads, etc..

How can gaa return without any kind of training at any level? Same for soccer.

So you personally know every junior player in Ireland who combines GAA & Soccer and know they will choose GAA over soccer? Absolute rubbish plenty of lads will choose soccer over GAA

From my experience you’ll find more of the City lads choosing soccer & more of the country lads choosing GAA. Least in my neck of the woods that is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement