Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Watching football in empty grounds on tv is not a semblance of normality and people will get bored of it very quickly.

It actually would be nearly better to play the games at training grounds as the echoing in vast empty stadiums is very odd for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It actually would be nearly better to play the games at training grounds as the echoing in vast empty stadiums is very odd for sure.

Maybe they could adopt the Man City approach...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1118572239446773761

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

One thing they could do to avoid this is to mute all of the pitchside microphones and stadium microphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

EVkzNRtWoAEELMz?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Maybe they could adopt the Man City approach...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1118572239446773761

Ha, that's obviously horrible - but I wonder if there's some version of something along those lines that could be done... let's say matches are on tv as normal, but each club also agrees a little side deal where their season ticket holders are given a link to be able to watch their teams games, and their mics and left open and transmitted to the stadium speakers. With tens of thousands, you wouldn't hear anything distinct, but at least it would be a general crescendo of sound matching the action. One of the (probably many) difficulties would be the likely delay though... a goal goes in, there's a deathly silence, and then 5 seconds later an explosion of noise!

Pie in the sky stuff, but perhaps an interesting route for some sort of tangible crowd/fan interaction in some form. Like, even if this same thing was done, but the sound was only put into the feed of the video - so the sound would be heard by other fans, rather than by the players in the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

brinty wrote: »
    Very interesting to see one group of supporters talking about football returning in Poland and France as a beacon of hope things will start back up in England soon.

The same Poland and France that are over run by deaths and over stretched health services. With thousands of deaths every day, and a pandemicnthat hasn't even peaked yet in their countries.

Oh wait Poland and France did things right. They took the appropriate actions, flattened their curves and passed the peak. Their deaths are miniscule compared to the UK.

C'mon folks, be realistic will you. You're fooling no one bar yourselves, and your fantasy that things will be back soon is just that ... A fantasy.

The UK isn't close to being on top of things, life won't get back to normal for them for way longer than any of us can imagine. Never mind mass gatherings or even behind closed doors sport.

Well said brinty,shocking that posters are talking about football in a football thread and trying to ascertain when football might be back in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Very interesting to see one group of supporters talking about football returning in Poland and France as a beacon of hope things will start back up in England soon.

The same Poland and France that are over run by deaths and over stretched health services. With thousands of deaths every day, and a pandemicnthat hasn't even peaked yet in their countries.

Oh wait Poland and France did things right. They took the appropriate actions, flattened their curves and passed the peak. Their deaths are miniscule compared to the UK.

Im confused by this what are you saying about France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ha, that's obviously horrible - but I wonder if there's some version of something along those lines that could be done... let's say matches are on tv as normal, but each club also agrees a little side deal where their season ticket holders are given a link to be able to watch their teams games, and their mics and left open and transmitted to the stadium speakers. With tens of thousands, you wouldn't hear anything distinct, but at least it would be a general crescendo of sound matching the action. One of the (probably many) difficulties would be the likely delay though... a goal goes in, there's a deathly silence, and then 5 seconds later an explosion of noise!

Pie in the sky stuff, but perhaps an interesting route for some sort of tangible crowd/fan interaction in some form. Like, even if this same thing was done, but the sound was only put into the feed of the video - so the sound would be heard by other fans, rather than by the players in the stadium.

Just get the sound files for fifa and play them over the broadcast

opps forget the :pac:

Im confused by this what are you saying about France.

Don't think anyone says Poland football is back either. I mention Poland as they are easing restrictions so people will be watching what happens there too for numbers wise. A city in Japan eased restrictions but 2 weeks have had to announce another state of emergency are numbers rose fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Well said brinty,shocking that posters are talking about football in a football thread and trying to ascertain when football might be back in some form.

Was brinty not talking about football and coronavirus in a football and coronavirus tread.....

Just because someones opinion is different to yours doesn't mean it is wrong or has any less value than yours.

People need to tone down the aggression in their responses and relax a little...

I'd say go out and enjoy the fine weather but I think that is also frowned upon.... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Was brinty not talking about football and coronavirus in a football and coronavirus tread.....

Just because someones opinion is different to yours doesn't mean it is wrong or has any less value than yours.

People need to tone down the aggression in their responses and relax a little...

I'd say go out and enjoy the fine weather but I think that is also frowned upon.... :P
    Sure I was agreeing with brinty,have been out in the sun all day,think I might actually be sunburnt a little,thanks for asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Sure I was agreeing with brinty,have been out in the sun all day,think I might actually be sunburnt a little,thanks for asking

So you are saying that you agree with brinty, good to know. I wasn't sure.

Also good to hear you enjoyed the sun today, some people don't get out enough I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A quick check on Google.

UK deaths: 12,107
    France deaths: 14,967

I am aware of the stats issue on the UK number.
    I have no idea if the French number is accurate or has similar reporting problems.

However, I don't think there is any way that the UK number to be higher to such a large degree that 14,967 would be miniscule by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Replace France with Germany I'd guess. Although the French are including nursing home deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Don't think anyone says Poland football is back either. I mention Poland as they are easing restrictions so people will be watching what happens there too for numbers wise. A city in Japan eased restrictions but 2 weeks have had to announce another state of emergency are numbers rose fast.

Poland closed their borders pretty much from day one, anyone under 18 was forbidden to go out and faced arrest and fines for parents. The UK at the same time had Cheltenham and the champions league match’s. One featured a team from a country that was suffering badly from the virus and they brought thousands of fans over. That’s like comparing apples and oranges.

• Advertisement

Poland closed their borders pretty much from day one, anyone under 18 was forbidden to go out and faced arrest and fines for parents. The UK at the same time had Cheltenham and the champions league match’s. One featured a team from a country that was suffering badly from the virus and they brought thousands of fans over. That’s like comparing apples and oranges.

And we wait to see how things go now when they relax a bit that is all i am saying. I said nothing about football being played there or any other sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Cardboard cut outs and pumped in crowd noise and it will be like a regular crowd at any game :D

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1250149763548188672?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FitzShane wrote: »
    Cardboard cut outs and pumped in crowd noise and it will be like a regular crowd at any game :D

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1250149763548188672?s=19

That's the crowds from the old FIFAs :pac:

Arsenal had a fake crowd in the old highbury when they were rebuilding one stand. Early 90s I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

when United were doing up OT in the early-mid 90s they had a painted crowd in the Stretford End for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

when United were doing up OT in the early-mid 90s they had a painted crowd in the Stretford End for a while.

No, they didn't.

That was Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

German clubs giving permission to return to training on Monday in small groups of 6 players. Government wants to facilitate a possible return, behind closed doors, end of May. Clubs would need to be responsible for testing players/staff.

That's positive news.

Encouraging that their hasnt been a continuing upward trend in numbers in the UK the past few days. Based on the numbers its starting to look like the UK may have or be close to reaching the peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Encouraging that their hasnt been a continuing upward trend in numbers in the UK the past few days. Based on the numbers its starting to look like the UK may have or be close to reaching the peak.

Tell that to the 700+ families who lost loved ones today. That's the hospital numbers alone, doesn't count those that are not in hospital i.e. nursing homes and those not in hospitals.

700+ people went to hospital and never went home.

The UK is nowhere close to the peak

Tell that to the 700+ families who lost loved ones today. That's the hospital numbers alone, doesn't count those that are not in hospital i.e. nursing homes and those not in hospitals.

They havent been counting the nursing home figures all along is my understanding so the comparison hasnt changed. Im deeply disturbed by the figures and want and pray that they will decrease. Ive seen a good few commentators on the news say that it looks like they are close to the peak.My understanding of it is that it looks like the curve is beggining to flatten which is surely a good sign. Could you explain to me what is the peak as you keep saying its so far away. What exactly is going to happen in your eyes.

6 wrote: »
    That was Arsenal

On a recent football podcast they were talking about that, Arsenal had to repaint it 3 times as the 1st time it was all white men, 2nd time just all men of mixed races and 3rd time it included men woman and children of all races

What does nowhere close to mean? A month, 3 months, 6 months? Interesting that the chief medical officer of the UK has said something very different, he said "we are probably reaching the peak" not 5 minutes ago although numbers will spike tomorrow because of the bank holiday weekend, and that whilst we may not be at the peak yet, it may not be that far off based on understanding of current hospital deaths and the reported other deaths for which there is usually a 4-5 day lead time on info being shared by the ONS. But hey, what does he know.

Just to be clear I am confident we are all sorry for the loss of all those people, I am sure at this point most of us know someone who has died from Covid 19 or have lost someone close to us, it certainly feels like that in the UK. Nobody is suggesting that it is not sad or horrible, having said that actually there are three times more than that number who actually died yesterday in hospital whose families also deserve our sympathy who are not being mentioned and are usually mentioned day to day

• Advertisement

The 6 week from peak talk yesterday was crazy scare mongering.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

All public gatherings banned in Germany until August 31st.

gstack166 wrote:

Just saw that, and Germany are miles ahead on how they've handled things than the UK.

gstack166 wrote: »

Proper order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/dw_sports/status/1250463670674632715

True but they are also looking to get football back by beginning/mid May in behind closed doors matches.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/when-will-premier-league-season-restart-germany-italy-spain-hope-2537529

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/bundesliga-restart-coronavirus-may-football-news-a4410596.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/testing-holds-key-to-bundesliga-restart-but-will-germany-accept-it-m76n5j3fl

Looks like if the UK are a week/2 weeks/a month behind then perhaps it is a tool that can be used to plan and understand if/when football can return in some form.

MD1990 wrote: »

It’ll be much much more easier for the FA & Premier League to play behind closed doors than it will in Germany unless the fans agree to it & want it.

If the fans don’t want it happening behind closed doors (in my opinion they won’t want it but just an opinion) then it won’t be happening over there with the power the fans have in Germany.

That's negative news

It’ll be much much more easier for the FA & Premier League to play behind closed doors than it will in Germany unless the fans agree to it & want it.

If the fans don’t want it happening behind closed doors (in my opinion they won’t want it but just an opinion) then it won’t be happening over there with the power the fans have in Germany.

What if the fans don't want it back for 18 months?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd say they'll prefer it to a voided season

MD1990 wrote: »

Ghost games with ghost goals.

Whats Luis Garcia at these days? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bundesliga clubs are back training.

They need to finish the season(tv money) asap or some clubs will go.

https://twitter.com/matt_4d/status/1246144012756619269

6 wrote: »
    What if the fans don't want it back for 18 months?...

That’s the million dollar question, maybe the fans agree to playing behind closed doors and it’s problem solved but they’ll be no easy nut to crack if they don’t.

Does that take into account the huge risk of gatherings outside the stadiums ect if they did behind closed doors football

Applicable risk in UK also

• Advertisement

That’s the million dollar question, maybe the fans agree to playing behind closed doors and it’s problem solved but they’ll be no easy nut to crack if they don’t.

If it's a choice of their club folding or games without spectators it'll be an easy nut to crack.

Does that take into account the huge risk of gatherings outside the stadiums ect if they did behind closed doors football

Applicable risk in UK also

It doesn't, but then Germans are far better behaved. If they're told not to do something they won't. They think of others and the impact they're actions have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When are they making a decision on the Scottish Premier League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Are they awarding the leagues to teams who haven’t actually won it and relegating teams who can still stay up or just declaring null and void?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement