Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Are they awarding the leagues to teams who haven’t actually won it and relegating teams who can still stay up or just declaring null and void?

They're relegating teams

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

They're relegating teams

Thanks. Link won’t load for me.

Premier league bottom 3 sweating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

gstack166 wrote: »
    When are they making a decision on the Scottish Premier League?

Apparently the decision on the Scottish Premier League needs to be ratified by UEFA and they meet on the 23rd of April but all but certain to follow suit with Celtic as champions and Hearts relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1250494254843035649?s=19

Don't think it seems realistic to finish the season by June 30th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

liverpool will awarded the league one way or another.

hopefully the leagues will be back in the summer.

i sense some in here dont want football back so as liverpool dont win the league. quite sad but not surprised but much more important it can come back asap so as clubs can survive & people get back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Are they awarding the leagues to teams who haven’t actually won it and relegating teams who can still stay up or just declaring null and void?

Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers have been declared champions of their respective leagues and getting promoted with Partick Thistle and Stranraer being relegated from their league.

They have not declared the Premier league yet and they are also talking about a restructure of the league for next season.

MD1990 wrote: »
    liverpool will awarded the league one way or another.

hopefully the leagues will be back in the summer.

i sense some in here dont want football back so as liverpool dont win the league. quite sad but not surprised but much more important it can come back asap so as clubs can survive & people get back to work.

At the same time it feels some in here only want football back so Liverpool can win the league.

I try not to get involved in the petty tribal crap on this thread but it's absolutely clear it goes in both directions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers have been declared champions of their respective leagues and getting promoted with Partick Thistle and Stranraer being relegated from their league.

They have not declared the Premier league yet and they are also talking about a restructure of the league for next season.

Stevie G is worried I’d say. If the Scottish premier follows suit his club will be going mad & his fans will urge him do the same & if English Premier league does likewise his boyhood club get crowned champions.

At the same time it feels some in here only want football back so Liverpool can win the league.

I try not to get involved in the petty tribal crap on this thread but it's absolutely clear it goes in both directions.

big difference wanting it back to the team you support win the league
    than not wanting it back so your rival doesnt win the league.

concentrate on your own club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Does that take into account the huge risk of gatherings outside the stadiums ect if they did behind closed doors football

Applicable risk in UK also

How does that theory of yours meld with the fact pubs would still be closed?

Any gathering above ten people would be on the police radar quite quickly.

Someone said there were 300 house parties in Manchester over the weekend. CAn only assume we know this because the police went to 300 house parties.

Stevie G is worried I’d say. If the Scottish premier follows suit his club will be going mad & his fans will urge him do the same & if English Premier league does likewise his boyhood club get crowned champions.

Yeah this leaves Stevie G in a very awkward position

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

concentrate on your own club.

You’d want to practice what you preach buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It actually feels like two or three utd fans want it voided at all costs and take any opportunity to emphasise the risks (perceived or otherwise) to any sort of football coming back.

Most seem to take the same approach that the season should be finished when it can.

You’d want to practice what you preach buddy

good one:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

You would have to look very unfavourably on any club that didnt pay a player past June 30 if the league was being played after that date or on any player that refused to stay with a club in that instance.

noodler wrote: »
    It actually feels like two or three utd fans want it voided at all costs and take any opportunity to emphasise the risks (perceived or otherwise) to any sort of football coming back.

Most seem to take the same approach that the season should be finished when it can.

Most Utd fans want it finished. They are in a decent shout of top 4. Voiding it would mean they are in the Europa again. Their club even want it finished.

Why would they want it voided?

6 wrote: »
    Most Utd fans want it finished. They are in a decent shout of top 4. Voiding it would mean they are in the Europa again. Their club even want it finished.

Why would they want it voided?

yeah ed woodward as well.

Just a few sad individuals on here who dont want the league finished or football back within the next 6 months so the league is void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

You would have to look very unfavourably on any club that didnt pay a player past June 30 if the league was being played after that date or on any player that refused to stay with a club in that instance.

what about a player who the club do not wish to extend their contract?

• Advertisement

Is the null and void option being discussed in other countries outside of England and Rangers fans?

Apparently the SPFL dismissed it very early in discussions with clubs as it caused all sorts of issues with prize money and clubs that were well on their way to promotion.

I can't see any way the English premier league is made null and void, easiest solution is to throw a few quid extra to the teams relegated and call the league as it stands

RoryMac wrote: »
    Is the null and void option being discussed in other countries outside of England and Rangers fans?

Apparently the SPFL dismissed it very early in discussions with clubs as it caused all sorts of issues with prize money and clubs that were well on their way to promotion.

I can't see any way the English premier league is made null and void, easiest solution is to throw a few quid extra to the teams relegated and call the league as it stands

Karen Brady and a few lads on boards. Haven't seen it much elsewhere.

RoryMac wrote: »

Italian league have listed it and Juventus spoke on it also and that's one of the worst hit countries

England has surpassed it I think from a containment failure point of view and Italy is much much stricter

Imagine fans wanting their own club to lift a trophy.

Madness :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I don't mind Liverpool fans being honest that it's all about them winning the league, completely understandable.

What gets on my tits is all the pious bullsh*t claiming to give a fcuk about football as a wider entity. Utterly transparent.

Relax lads, Liverpool will be the league champions whether it finishes or not, and rightly so, they've been the best team by a country mile this season.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I support neither but come on, the two are hardly comparable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't mind Liverpool fans being honest that it's all about them winning the league, completely understandable.

What gets on my tits is all the pious bullsh*t claiming to give a fcuk about football as a wider entity. Utterly transparent.

Relax lads, Liverpool will be the league champions whether it finishes or not, and rightly so, they've been the best team by a country mile this season.

If its any way possible at all the league should be finished imo. Theres not going to be crowds allowed in stadiums for a considerable time, that much is becoming more and more clear. So unless next season is done away with and all players just sit out football for 18 months, it going to have to happen behind closed doors, so the possibility of people congregating will have to be dealt with, though I dont think its going to be an issue and is only being pushed to further an agenda anyway.

IMO the credibility of relegating Villa based on the current table falls apart because they have a game in hand. Its unfair all ends up. Much as I would like to slag my Villa supporting mate who never shuts up about Liverpool fans never shutting up if they win the league , even though hes the only one that mentions it.

Other leagues are calling it because the teams may well fold if they dont. But the PL is in the position of being able to hold out for the minute and also being able to function if games are behind closed doors. League should be won on the pitch.

If anything , the last 9 games can serve as a tester for what to do next season if grounds have to be empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

yeah ed woodward as well.

Just a few sad individuals on here who dont want the league finished or football back within the next 6 months so the league is void.

Who here said they don’t want the season the finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Honestly, this reads as an odd position to hold... Do you think anyone is allowed to hold an opinion on football as a wider entity? Is it only Liverpool fans that can’t express both a micro, and macro perspective?

I want Liverpool to win the league whatever way they can. That’s a subjective point of view. I want it because I’ve wanted it for decades, and this is the first time they‘ve deserved it in that period.

Now, objectively, I think the correct footballing choice is to finish the season, regardless when that happens. I’ve spelled out my arguments for this in the past here, and have still yet to come upon a reasoned and even remotely persuasive argument for the contrary.

If you give me 2 options - end the season right now, declaring Liverpool champions with immediate effect, or play out the season properly whenever they can so the past 9 months of everyone’s time isn’t a bit of a waste, then subjectively I’ll have the former and everyone else can go **** themselves, but objectively I think the latter is the right thing to do.

Football is coming back at some stage, there will be a ‘next match’. So that being the case, just continue from where you left off. The biggest hindrance is scheduling, but even that is going to get ****ed sooner or later anyway with a winter World Cup, so now’s the perfect time to start that seasonal transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Football behind closed doors does nothing for teams below PL level surely, they would be dependant on match day income.

I wonder how this works, test all players and staff that will be present at stadiums, wait two weeks, test all again and if all are negative resume play? But if somebody tests positive during initial tests the whole squad surely needs to isolate for two more weeks, then testing will need to continue periodically and more isolation if anybody tests positive.

I think unless conditions improve over the next 8 weeks letting the above happen makes a mockery of social distancing for everybody else. We will just have to wait and see how things progress.

• Advertisement

Football behind closed doors does nothing for teams below PL level surely, they would be dependant on match day income.

I wonder how this works, test all players and staff that will be present at stadiums, wait two weeks, test all again and if all are negative resume play? But if somebody tests positive during initial tests the whole squad surely needs to isolate for two more weeks, then testing will need to continue periodically and more isolation if anybody tests positive.

I think unless conditions improve over the next 8 weeks letting the above happen makes a mockery of social distancing for everybody else. We will just have to wait and see how things progress.

Championship clubs could perhaps stumble along with tv money too, but anyone lower would be in big trouble. It does open the door for potential interesting alternatives though, like club streaming memberships. Let’s say Sky have the rights to League One football, but aren’t showing all that much of it - they could perhaps make a deal with clubs to stream every game and sell those team specific packages to the usually-match-going fans.

Existing rules and rights are largely what’s held Football media back... I think this situation, and how long it could last, will force them to get innovative to keep their product (the whole football pyramid) intact.

It's only going to work in the top division of the better leagues, maybe championship in england and equivelant in another couple.

But the alternative is no football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So the “save the little guy” argument doesn’t really fly then, unless the top teams subsidise which seems unlikely given a lot of them are struggling themselves.

Hopefully the meeting on Friday is productive, a decision is needed and a provisional plan should be put in place. A lot hinges on whether they are happy to play behind closed doors or not, I don’t see why they can’t resolve that issue now.

So the “save the little guy” argument doesn’t really fly then,.

And how will not playing pl football as well as not playing lower level help the "little guy" anyway?

Let's be realistic here, if the choice is behind closed doors or no football at all, why would anyone choose no football? If the choice is pl only or no football again why would anyone choose no football?

So the “save the little guy” argument doesn’t really fly then, unless the top teams subsidise which seems unlikely given a lot of them are struggling themselves.

Hopefully the meeting on Friday is productive, a decision is needed and a provisional plan should be put in place. A lot hinges on whether they are happy to play behind closed doors or not, I don’t see why they can’t resolve that issue now.

Yeah, League One downwards are in trouble regardless really. Even if they were able to sort some sort of streaming deal, it might not be enough. One of the league one execs (Scunthorpe maybe?) was tweeting that their best chance would be to have a clear idea of what the long term plan was, so they could effectively wind things up and shut up shop until that time, to give them a better chance of coming back when crowds could come to matches again.

Was thinking, you could do something like playing on with the Championship and Premierleague, and putting all divisions below on a freeze. Finish out this campaign, have relegation from the Premiership, and promotion from the Championship, and start the next season - all behind-closed-doors, as it won’t be safe for crowds yet. Then, if it’s safe for people to come back to matches with 9 or so games left, unfreeze the lower divisions and let them finish out their leagues as they’d been a year+ previous, getting everything back in sync.

Maybe a bit mad, but sure..

On that broader subject of not ‘saving the little guy’, it all comes back to that old saying; “Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.”

There may not be a solution that saves all clubs and keeps everyone above water, but there may be solutions that help some. That’s the stage we’re at really... and not just with football, a lot of businesses are going to be in trouble from this, and it’s important that small victories are sought and achieved, rather than chasing an unattainable perfection.

The issue with not starting next season is what do the players do? They're not the pl lads on 50k plus a week, so do they go get jobs for a year? Sign on for 50 or 60 quid a week or whatever it is? From a playing point of view you have whole leagues of lads that havnt played a match in a year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I saw this on another thread.

It's American I know but it does put into perspective how difficult playing behind closed doors is going to be.

And even more so in somewhere like the UK where you don't have quality infrastructure/low population density places like Arizona.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

what about a player who the club do not wish to extend their contract?

I think it would be really bad form by the club if its a PL club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Championship clubs could perhaps stumble along with tv money too, but anyone lower would be in big trouble. It does open the door for potential interesting alternatives though, like club streaming memberships. Let’s say Sky have the rights to League One football, but aren’t showing all that much of it - they could perhaps make a deal with clubs to stream every game and sell those team specific packages to the usually-match-going fans.

Existing rules and rights are largely what’s held Football media back... I think this situation, and how long it could last, will force them to get innovative to keep their product (the whole football pyramid) intact.

On a recent podcast I was listening to, they said (in a pretty firm, knowledgeable tone) that Sky subscriptions rise a lot in the March, April, May timeframe of a season. There are more high profile games with league placings, relegation, promotions, champions to be decides etc. They said that subscriptions to their own podcast increase in that timeframe too, to get all the content.

With this increase in money, I'm sure a deal could be struck to give a higher % of the money that comes in to Sky and BT etc to lower league clubs? So instead of PL clubs getting 100% of the money, they get 60% instead. 25% to lower league clubs and 15% to support services in the locality of games taking place. Just an idea, trying to somewhat solve the football & coronavirus issue instead of just shooting down every single thing and hoping football never returns in total doomsday news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I think what's missing a lot from every discussion on whether football will be returning or not, behind closed doors or otherwise is what do the players want to do and what's their opinion on going back to play. They're ultimately the ones we're going to be watching.

Obviously they'll want to in an ideal world as it's their career but I can't imagine players who are already making a lot of money will want to risk their health even if it's low %.

Imagine being told by your employer you were to go back to the office and not adhere to social distancing while the rest or the majority of the world is. Can't imagine we'd be universally happy with it.

• Advertisement

Imagine being told by your employer you were to go back to the office and not adhere to social distancing while the rest or the majority of the world is. Can't imagine we'd be universally happy with it.

Id go back in a heartbeat if everyone was regularly tested.

I think what's missing a lot from every discussion on whether football will be returning or not, behind closed doors or otherwise is what do the players want to do and what's their opinion on going back to play. They're ultimately the ones we're going to be watching.

Obviously they'll want to in an ideal world as it's their career but I can't imagine players who are already making a lot of money will want to risk their health even if it's low %.

They wont be making a lot of money if this drags on though. Even PL clubs are not going to be still paying lads 100k a week with no income in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

861 hospital deaths which also includes some that were not correctly or reported in a timely fashion over the bank holiday weekend which would reflect a lower per day death yesterday but higher for the previous few days, still looks like cresting the peak is not too far in the future. Looks like lockdown will continue for another three weeks for some but there is also talk of a phased exit to lockdown now and learn from other European countries on how they do with lifting sanctions. Hospital admissions are also flattening and infectivity rates are below 1 at around 0.6-0.7. Briefing coming soon but there have been some leaks of talks of sequencing the returns to work/schools soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They wont be making a lot of money if this drags on though. Even PL clubs are not going to be still paying lads 100k a week with no income in a few months.

Also just because player may have been on 100k a week up to this point it does not necessarily mean that they were good with it, and are made for life.

Young males making a lot of money in a glamorous business are not know for their financial acumen.
    Those big cars, big houses and hot blondes don't come cheap

Also just because player may have been on 100k a week up to this point it does not necessarily mean that they were good with it, and are made for life.

Young males making a lot of money in a glamorous business are not know for their financial acumen.
    Those big cars, big houses <snip> don't come cheap

Even if they are, in normal times, good with their money - at that level of cash it would likely be invested.

Stocks have tanked.
    Property has a good chance of tanking.

If they have invested money, that money could be wiped.

Even if they are, in normal times, good with their money - at that level of cash it would likely be invested.

Stocks have tanked.
    Property has a good chance of tanking.

If they have invested money, that money could be wiped.

Indeed, and while markets will recover and a lot of that money will come back over time, it's the worst possible time to try to pull it out to pay for more practical things. Anyone with investments is pretty much locked into them now for at least the next 5 or so years regardless.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52313715

Lockdown extended in UK for at least another 3 weeks

861 deaths in hospitals

UK seems to be steady enough which is good news.

Hopefully they have peaked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lockdown extended in UK for at least another 3 weeks

861 deaths in hospitals

At least they're taking all necessary measures to deal with it. 3 weeks is still optimistic I'd imagine but we'll have to see
    6 wrote:
    UK seems to be steady enough which is good news.

861 families in mourning for loved ones passed, with that being only the numbers in hospitals is steady enough and good news.

I'd consider that to be horrific myself and an absolute travesty. But you're welcome to your opinion 😉

• Advertisement

Nobody said it wasn't a tragedy or horrific. Their numbers are pretty steady the past few days. That's a fact.

Hats off for the strawman though. So genuine.. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement