Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

6 wrote: »
    Nobody said it wasn't a tragedy or horrific. Their numbers are pretty steady the past few days. That's a fact.

Hats off for the strawman though. So genuine.. :)

Don't forget this is a man who was upset by an excel table so he may have very genuine feelings on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

brinty wrote: »
    At least they're taking all necessary measures to deal with it. 3 weeks is still optimistic I'd imagine but we'll have to see

861 families in mourning for loved ones passed, with that being only the numbers in hospitals is steady enough and good news.

I'd consider that to be horrific myself and an absolute travesty. But you're welcome to your opinion 😉
    Its fairly pathetic you trying these comments again today . You have been telling us about peaks being weeks away and a lot worse is to come. The figures were tipping a thousand a day last week for a couple of days. So what we are seeing is a levelling in these horrific numbers and thankfully what you had been indicating was going to happen isnt happening.
    Again as asked yesterday if you could clarify How far away is the peak ? And what can we expect from the peak ? As it seems to me you are just throwing out outrageous claims for some reason. Experts, the chief medical officer, governement ministers and the figures are suggesting the peak is reached or very close to being reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Its fairly pathetic you trying these comments again today . You have been telling us about peaks being weeks away and a lot worse is to come. The figures were tipping a thousand a day last week for a couple of days. So what we are seeing is a levelling in these horrific numbers and thankfully what you had been indicating was going to happen isnt happening.
    Again as asked yesterday if you could clarify How far away is the peak ? And what can we expect from the peak ? As it seems to me you are just throwing out outrageous claims for some reason. Experts, the chief medical officer, governement ministers and the figures are suggesting the peak is reached or very close to being reached.

no point engaging with him.

It is waste of anyone's time. He is what he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

At least they're taking all necessary measures to deal with it. 3 weeks is still optimistic I'd imagine but we'll have to see

861 families in mourning for loved ones passed, with that being only the numbers in hospitals is steady enough and good news.

I'd consider that to be horrific myself and an absolute travesty. But you're welcome to your opinion ��

You have definitely changed your tune from when you said this on the day the deaths in the UK went above 3k.
    Relax will you, nobody died

Is it the number of people now dead that you find horrific? I am obviously in no way suggesting your new stance is anything other than genuine by the way, I am just surprised at the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

UEFA CL final set for 29 August ... https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52316964

Just cancel it, silly rushing the players back in for this ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Yea they should just focus on completing domestic league seasons. Too messy the logisitics of a european wide competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A lot of teams wanting the league finished by 30 June, there must be some contract issues behind that.

I’d say there’s zero chance of the league being finished by then, hopefully we learn something new tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

ricero wrote: »
    Yea they should just focus on completing domestic league seasons. Too messy the logisitics of a european wide competition.

Liverpool fan wanting a competition they’re knocked out in to be cancelled so as to resume a competition they’re likely to win.

Tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

why the rush to cancel?
    It is 4 months away.

Can re asses in 2 months time

ricero wrote: »

From the article

The first is to play the quarter-finals and semi-finals as two-legged matches as normal, in July and August.

The second would be for the games to be played as one-off fixtures after the end of the domestic seasons, potentially condensing the end of the competition into a week-long mini tournament.

Of course this is all about setting plans that could change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

A lot of teams wanting the league finished by 30 June, there must be some contract issues behind that.

I’d say there’s zero chance of the league being finished by then, hopefully we learn something new tomorrow.

Is it the end date for most contracted players if it finishes this season?

Uefa should try get it finished its harder than domestic leagues due to the travel issue but it still should be the aim even if it takes till october. An idea would be to make european competitions knockout from the very start next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gstack166 wrote: »
    Liverpool fan wanting a competition they’re knocked out in to be cancelled so as to resume a competition they’re likely to win.

Tiresome.

Is it not blindingly obvious that crossing country borders will and should be difficult in the present situation.
    Its hard enough to see the current domestic seasons finished even by the end of this summer so having teams from numerous countries fly across Europe is fanciful right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tiresome.

Speaking of tiresome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

gstack166 wrote:

Tiresome.

You're not allowed state things like that mate ;)

We all know what's behind their thinking ;)

https://twitter.com/record_sport/status/1250899265775235072?s=21

Common sense finally from UEFA. Let’s hope the Premier League follows suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is it not blindingly obvious that crossing country borders will and should be difficult in the present situation.
    Its hard enough to see the current domestic seasons finished even by the end of this summer so having teams from numerous countries fly across Europe is fanciful right now.

Are you saying you think the PL might not get finished this summer?

If not, do you think we should not finish it at all and get a full season next season or finish this one whenever and not get a full season next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://twitter.com/record_sport/status/1250899265775235072?s=21

Common sense finally from UEFA. Let’s hope the Premier League follows suit.

Was funny listening to Gerrard today. Asking for common sense but not sure what he really wanted :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If not, do you think we should not finish it at all and get a full season next season or finish this one whenever and not get a full season next season?

Honestly, odds are against this thing being solved in any tangible form that soon. Until a vaccine is out and in wide circulation (14 to 18 months), and we’re confident it won’t mutate into a new strain like the flu does, it would be unwise to make any long term plans like that.

There’s a high likelihood that if you stop this season and start a new one, that we’ll just be faced with the same situation a few months in. Fulfilling a complete season in anything like the normal timeframe is reasonably unlikely, so it makes a little more sense right now to look at what can be achieved. They can almost use the end of the current season as a short term test case, to figure out how best to tackle a full new season over the year of social distancing and localised virus outbreaks to come.

If you skip this season in favour of having a complete season next year, that’s a precedent that may very well simply lead to two broken seasons.

It’s a very tricky one for all involved, and honestly I don’t think there are any definitive right answers yet. But whatever you do, even behind closed doors, there will be virus outbreaks with semi regular 2 week quarantine periods to keep a lid on it. That’s just our reality for the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Was funny listening to Gerrard today. Asking for common sense but not sure what he really wanted

And to think some people reckon that Scholes wouldn't lace Gerrard's boots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

There wont be football played this summer, practically every sports event worldwide has been cancelled with the exception of lowly respected sports ran by morons in Trump's pocket. Olympics, Euros, Copa America, Wimbledon all got postponed by 12 months, not for 2 months.

The idea then of players agreeing to huddle up in camps like guinea pigs away from family for a few months as they will have to train for weeks to gain match fitness and then play out these games is a laugh, they are not idiots. Then after the leagues are done getting teams from Spain, Italy, France, England, etc. to meet up and play in a neutral venue is just daft. Just imagine it? Try it.

I don't know when football will return, I think it only can if there is a significant drop in cases for an extended period of time or a vaccine has been mass distributed.
    If UEFA or any league runs a game but one single player, official or coach tests positive I assume everyone involved with that game will have to isolate for 14 days and they delay those teams fixtures and training.
    How in the name of God would you handle that if you are trying to run a competition over a short period of time??

I don't know what clubs are going to do with paying players wages, it will help if players become free agents as who the f**k wants to sign anyone on a free now. Clubs will probably all have to agree to accept a reduced cut of this current seasons fees as if they don't I reckon a lot more clubs will disappear. What happens with the current league tables will be up to each league as they won't be sorted out on the pitch anytime for the forseeable future.

If it wasn't blatantly f**king obvious we'll be eating another recession after this blows over so whether or not the 19/20 CL or leagues get finished isn't exactly high on lists of concerns there are right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Most Utd fans want it finished. They are in a decent shout of top 4. Voiding it would mean they are in the Europa again. Their club even want it finished.

Why would they want it voided?

Read my post again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If football is played at all in 2020 it will be behind closed doors. Germany is toying with this for example from August.

But it looks more likely than not there will be no football at any level for the rest of 2020 or any other sport.

I suspect most will have more to be concerned about anyway to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

noodler wrote: »
    It actually feels like two or three utd fans want it voided at all costs and take any opportunity to emphasise the risks (perceived or otherwise) to any sort of football coming back.

Most seem to take the same approach that the season should be finished when it can.
    Most Utd fans want it finished. They are in a decent shout of top 4. Voiding it would mean they are in the Europa again. Their club even want it finished.

Why would they want it voided?

it seems like you 2 are agreeing.

but to answer 6's question: there are a few (i would say a massive minority) that want it voided to prevent liverpool winning the premier league.

at the same time, there is the same small minority of liverpool fans who want the league finished regardless of health concerns just to win the title.

think of those 2 subsets of fans as assholes.

If football is played at all in 2020 it will be behind closed doors. Germany is toying with this for example from August.

But it looks more likely than not there will be no football at any level for the rest of 2020 or any other sport.

I suspect most will have more to be concerned about anyway to be honest!

golf are planning june 11 return:

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/11973501/pga-tour-confirm-june-return-for-tournament-golf-but-with-no-spectators

albeit with various precautions

if thats the case, we're all ****ed. what will we talk about?

a combined utd/liverpool 11 in the PL era? that could be fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

What if a team left in the Champions League or Europa League sells their best players when the window opens? How is that fair to continue it in July/August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is it the end date for most contracted players if it finishes this season?

I don’t know how they are going to work around this, it depends on the wording used in the contracts.

Is a player contracted from date A to date B or is there specific seasons covered in the contract. I’m sure the clubs could argue that the players have been paid to finish the 19/20 season whenever that may be but maybe it’s tough luck.

UEFA have no authority over a contract for employment between the player and club.

xtal191 wrote: »
    What if a team left in the Champions League or Europa League sells their best players when the window opens? How is that fair to continue it in July/August?

There’s going to be plenty of scenarios that seem unfair, they’ll try and please the majority but there will definitely be clubs not happy at the end of this, it could be Villa, or it could be United or Liverpool, nobody knows who will draw the short straw right now.

fundamentally it wont be fair, some teams/players are gonna lose out. no getting away from that; on the flip side, some teams will benefit. but this is surreal times.

contracts; i have no idea how they will pan out. compel a club to pay a player out of contract that they dont want to resign? compel a player who wants to leave to not be allowed register for another team? you cant have both i dont think. a legal minefield it seems.

call me a cynic, but i think tv revenue is the #1 driving factor of all uefa/fa decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

There wont be football played this summer, practically every sports event worldwide has been cancelled with the exception of lowly respected sports ran by morons in Trump's pocket. Olympics, Euros, Copa America, Wimbledon all got postponed by 12 months, not for 2 months.

The idea then of players agreeing to huddle up in camps like guinea pigs away from family for a few months as they will have to train for weeks to gain match fitness and then play out these games is a laugh, they are not idiots. Then after the leagues are done getting teams from Spain, Italy, France, England, etc. to meet up and play in a neutral venue is just daft. Just imagine it? Try it.

I don't know when football will return, I think it only can if there is a significant drop in cases for an extended period of time or a vaccine has been mass distributed.
    If UEFA or any league runs a game but one single player, official or coach tests positive I assume everyone involved with that game will have to isolate for 14 days and they delay those teams fixtures and training.
    How in the name of God would you handle that if you are trying to run a competition over a short period of time??

I don't know what clubs are going to do with paying players wages, it will help if players become free agents as who the f**k wants to sign anyone on a free now. Clubs will probably all have to agree to accept a reduced cut of this current seasons fees as if they don't I reckon a lot more clubs will disappear. What happens with the current league tables will be up to each league as they won't be sorted out on the pitch anytime for the forseeable future.

If it wasn't blatantly f**king obvious we'll be eating another recession after this blows over so whether or not the 19/20 CL or leagues get finished isn't exactly high on lists of concerns there are right now.

Well said and I fully agree with you.

The amount of nonsense on here about games back in June, behind closed doors, cocooning players in hotels, etc.... its just crazy talk.
    And don't even get me started on the small clubs streaming their games on youtube to generate revenue.. what planet are some people on at all.

Anyhow the above it just my opinion, something to which some posters might disagree..... some more than others... but that's the joy of a discussion tread... we are all entitled to our opinions ....

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t worry about it mate, this years competitions in Europe & England aren’t getting completed & you can take that to the bank, no matter what other arguments against the contrary the usual suspects will put forth here.

It will be just like before transfer windows in that case where teams could buy players until March each season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I wouldn’t worry about it mate, this years competitions in Europe & England aren’t getting completed & you can take that to the bank, no matter what other arguments against the contrary the usual suspects will put forth here.

But but but but but.........

Ah no on a serious note tho it’s been obvious for a long time now they won’t finish.The PL FA weren’t going to come and just say “Na it’s over” Slowly but surly they drip feeding it out to prepare people, Sky and BT not looking for a refund. FA pulling all leagues. Taking about committing too a June finish etc

The announcement is coming. It’s a matter of when, not if.

Then the awarding of titles, Europe, relegation etc. I’m sure Sky and BT will push for a bigger league with more teams and more games this on TV. PL need to sort these things before announcing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Well said

When do you reckon it will restart and what would your plan be on restart.

And this nonsense about them playing behind closed doors because it’s a choice between football or no football was just rubbish too by people with the blinkers on.

The premier league were never in a million years going to play behind closed doors without fans and damage their brand plus getting the fans wrath on top of it. Not going to happen.

Im sure the thousands of players worldwide that will need an income will disagree with you.

• Advertisement

Im sure the thousands of players worldwide that will need an income will disagree with you.

They can disagree all they want, doesn’t mean there will be games behind closed doors.

They can disagree all they want, doesn’t mean there will be games behind closed doors.

So what your saying is no sport until we have a vaccine. So now what is your plan for how these football players get paid for the next year how the football clubs survive and the resumption of football when it finally does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Such a weird stance to take.

If football behind closed doors can be done then it will be done.

The idea that it would be done for the fans or the "brand" is fanciful. The primary motivation would be to finish a season and avoid legal debates for an age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Saw a report yesterday that there could be no fans at games for 18 months.

So would you like to see no football for 18 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Some here work in football or its a massive part of their lives financially, socially and competitively . Its a massive concern for the alot of young people.For some it is their life.This is just a narrow minded opinion. Many clubs look like they will fall away. Might not have any professional teams in this country soon. To just disregard this is disrespectful tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

noodler wrote: »
    Such a weird stance to take.

If football behind closed doors can be done then it will be done.

The idea that it would be done for the fans or the "brand" is fanciful. The primary motivation would be to finish a season and avoid legal debates for an age.

Even beyond finishing this season (as it may be considered impractical at some point to finish it out), next season starting behind closed doors would be a huge possibility even if this season is just called done.

IMO football will return behind closed doors a good bit before it can return to full stadiums.

When people are being allowed to return to work, football will return. But that doesn't mean people will be encouraged to go to large scale mass gatherings like a concert or sporting event where contact tracing (if needed) would be logistically impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

joe_99 wrote: »

Nah, the lads on here with the inside track know that that's not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That article doesn't say they will finish. It states that when play resumes it will be behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Play the remaining games behind closed doors before June 30th or void the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The key line in the article is
    "Parry stressed that the EFL’s main aim remains to “deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season that ensures the integrity of our competitions”, which falls in line with the preference among the majority of European leagues to complete the current campaign before starting the new one."
    People won't have credibility in a new season, if this one isn't concluded correctly.
    If one season is cancelled, or voided, then its a precedent set for the future. We could end up with * besides team names all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

That article doesn't say they will finish. It states that when play resumes it will be behind closed doors.

Ok whatever. They are going to resume with no intention to finish. Silly me.

From the article

Parry confirmed that when games eventually resume, fans will be locked out of EFL matches, meaning hundreds of thousands of season-ticket holders and match-going supporters face missing out on a large chunk of the remaining 2019/20 season, if not all of it.

Parry stressed that the EFL’s main aim remains to “deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season that ensures the integrity of our competitions”, which falls in line with the preference among the majority of European leagues to complete the current campaign before starting the new one.

“As I am sure you will appreciate, the situation presents significant operational and financial challenges, including the logistics of clubs returning to full operational status, the practicalities of playing football behind closed doors, and the possible knock-on effects for the 2020/21 campaign,” Parry said. “Please be assured that we are working hard on these and will update you as soon as we can once decisions have been made.”

They are wanting to finish the season but nothing can be confirmed just yet as we don't know how things are going to go. Also unlike the Premier League the Football League have a streaming service set up for each club where you can watch your teams games, all be it it was for outside the UK so they could just update that to remove the geoblocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ok whatever. They are going to resume with no intention to finish. Silly me.

Football could resume and finish this season.
    Football could resume after calling this season done (or voided) and start next season.

Football resuming doesn't mean this season gets finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

From the article

Parry confirmed that when games eventually resume, fans will be locked out of EFL matches, meaning hundreds of thousands of season-ticket holders and match-going supporters face missing out on a large chunk of the remaining 2019/20 season, if not all of it.

Parry stressed that the EFL’s main aim remains to “deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season that ensures the integrity of our competitions”, which falls in line with the preference among the majority of European leagues to complete the current campaign before starting the new one.

“As I am sure you will appreciate, the situation presents significant operational and financial challenges, including the logistics of clubs returning to full operational status, the practicalities of playing football behind closed doors, and the possible knock-on effects for the 2020/21 campaign,” Parry said. “Please be assured that we are working hard on these and will update you as soon as we can once decisions have been made.”

They are wanting to finish the season but nothing can be confirmed just yet as we don't know how things are going to go. Also unlike the Premier League the Football League have a streaming service set up for each club where you can watch your teams games, all be it it was for outside the UK so they could just update that to remove the geoblocking

Exactly, they want to finish the season but understand that's a decision that involves a lot of different inputs. So saying that they will definitely finish this season is just wrong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement