Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Football could resume and finish this season.
    Football could resume after calling this season done (or voided) and start next season.

Football resuming doesn't mean this season gets finished.

We all know that. I just put up an article stating the EFL position is to finish the season behind closed doors.

Thought it was interesting but sorry for sharing.

I shall leave the forum now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1251132920691073025

So is all this June 30th talk spoofery :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

ricero wrote: »

Seems like it was a very productive 2 hours, lots of new details emerging that we hadn’t heard before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Whether or not they talked about it, it is sort of a landmark date, just because things get more complicated if it goes beyond that point. I don’t think the problems it raises - at Premierleague level - are insurmountable by any means, but it’s something they’ll need to figure out sooner or later. Think they’re totally right not to get into it at this point though. Deal publicly with the knowns, start working privately on the unknowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Whether or not they talked about it, it is sort of a landmark date, just because things get more complicated if it goes beyond that point. I don’t think the problems it raises - at Premierleague level - are insurmountable by any means, but it’s something they’ll need to figure out sooner or later. Think they’re totally right not to get into it at this point though. Deal publicly with the knowns, start working privately on the unknowns

I would also question what gets talked about in these meetings, vs what gets talked about outside of these meetings.

AFAIK the June 30th talk wasn't that it was a PL directive about to come, it was some clubs were saying that they felt that was going to be the cut off (and thus in time it could become the PL directive).

June 30th is a potential cut off for the reasons you say.

I would have to imagine the people in charge of the clubs are chatting to each other outside of these meetings, talking about what each is doing in this situation to combat the difficulties they are all facing, and what they feel the potential solutions are.

Bringing such deadline dates to these formal PL discussions, at this point, would not be helpful as currently the government guidance is lockdown til early May, which would potentially allow the PL to resume and sprint to a finish by June 30th.

I thik discussions of what happens if that is not possible will occur when official government guidance will not practically allow any way of finishing the season by June 30th.

June 30th is absolutely as deadline date (to some level) because as Rebel says, there are legal and contractual issues to be addressed if they want to continue this season beyond that date. So even if the decision is to stil work to the objective of finishing this season after June 30th, they still need to discuss the legal and contractual issues that will represent (and there will be a whole pile of discussions of legal and contractual nature if they chose not to finish the season either).

And... from that legal/contractual standpoint the current season can't going on indefinitely (imo) because you can't indefinitely extend a players contract or transfer status (you could keep updating if you wanted to/could, I suppose). But I would imagine there is a date by which if football isn't restarting, this season will just be called finished (one way or another).

How/when football returns in other countries will have an impact on the PL decision too, imo.

If Italy/Spain/France/Germany etc decided to call their seasons done and were in a position to restart football with the 20/21 season in September (for example) I don't think the PL would be still pushing to finish 19/20 in that same time period and thus start 20/21 months and months behind the rest of the leaguges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

And... from that legal/contractual standpoint the current season can't going on indefinitely (imo) because you can't indefinitely extend a players contract or transfer status (you could keep updating if you wanted to/could, I suppose)

You can also buy players.

The only think that would prevent the current season going on indefinitely is if football never returns.

If it's going to return in future, even if it's a year away, teams still need enough players to do so. And at that point the decision can be made whether to prioritise playing postponed games from March & April 2020 over new games or vice versa

8-10 wrote: »
    You can also buy players.

The only think that would prevent the current season going on indefinitely is if football never returns.

If it's going to return in future, even if it's a year away, teams still need enough players to do so. And at that point the decision can be made whether to prioritise playing postponed games from March & April 2020 over new games or vice versa

So if you open the transfer window prior to the season restarting you potentially have (for example) United buying Sancho, Grealish and Saul.

So for the remaining 9 games you have Villa without Grealish where-as every other team that has faced them since Feb 1 did so playing the current Villa squad. You also have United now sporting Sancho, Grealish and Saul for the last 9 games, which is a very different prospect than the other teams faced in Feb came up against. Puts United in a better position to grab 4th and win the FA Cup.

And you can say other clubs can make transfer too.... but can they? With the impact of Covid-19, and still having to complete the season (so no further payments from PL or TV) can they afford to? United will be in a better position than most clubs in football if a transfer window opened now but the season was still to be finished.

You can't claim the season needs to be finished for integrity and credibility reasons, and then also say clubs should get a third transfer window to set up for the last 9 games. That could change the complexion of the league significantly, and goes against the set up of the league vis-a-vis the summer and winter windows - sure we are in a situation where the summer window ends before the season starts specifically so that the squads each team faces (for the first half of the season anyway) are the same, at least that is one of the reasons. The hypocrisy of the January window I am well aware of and have stated before, as an objection to the current summer window set up.

You can't claim the season needs to be finished for integrity and credibility reasons, and then also say clubs should get a third transfer window to set up for the last 9 games.

I never said either of those things.

I said that when football resumes, teams need enough players to be able to. And at that point you can make a decision on whether to play the postponed games or new games.

Not sure how you're reading into so much more from what I posted

I never said either of those things.

I said that when football resumes, teams need enough players to be able to. And at that point you can make a decision on whether to play the postponed games or new games.

Not sure how you're reading into so much more from what I posted

Apologies, I thought you were one of the peeps who had previously said the league needs to finish to maintain credibility and integrity. Apparently I was wrong on that.

• Advertisement

New season will be behind closed doors for sure I'd imagine

What does that Telegraph article actually say? It’s behind a wall.

gstack166 wrote: »

Big numbers again in the UK

847 deaths in hospitals

Good article here discussing the UK and it's rate of growth in infection showing it to be much higher than any other country in Europe

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/positive-signs-in-europe-over-coronavirus-tempered-by-uk-who-says-994360.html

What does that Telegraph article actually say? It’s behind a wall.

Premier League clubs have been told that the 2020-21 season must start by the first week of September at the latest.

The deadline puts huge pressure on the Premier League to eventually make a decision over the completion of this season and means, effectively, that they cannot resume playing any later than July.

The Premier League still remains hopeful that the season can start again on the week beginning June 8, although that is dependent on Government advice and lifting the current coronavirus restrictions. That was the over-riding message from the latest video-conference meeting involving the 20 clubs, on Friday morning.

The clubs discussed the issue of how players will return to training, with one plan being for them to initially work in pairs for an hour at the training ground having got changed in their cars to minimise the contact. Clubs are expected to be told they will have three weeks from when the Government gives the go-ahead for them to be allowed to train to playing matches which will be behind closed doors.

The issue of having to finish the season by June 30 was not formally raised despite nine clubs having privately expressed their desire to complete the remaining 92 games by that date because of the “contract chaos”, as one source put it, which would occur if they played into July. If the season is extended beyond June there is a possibility clubs will lose players before fixtures are concluded.

The clubs decided it was not the right time to discuss it, given the lockdown has been extended for three more weeks, but there was acknowledgement that the issue of contracts with players, coaches, sponsors and commercial deals which are due to expire on at the end of June will soon need to be addressed by the Premier League.

A keen interest is being taken in how the Bundesliga is preparing to re-start fixtures with players in Germany having returned to training in the hope that games can be played in May without spectators.

The Premier League stressed that football cannot begin again, of course, until the Government eases restrictions which have been extended until May 7. At the same time it appears that, as with Germany, football will not be regarded as a special case by the Government with its return also dependent on the roll out of mass testing.

Premier League staff have been working with club doctors to draw up a series of protocols that will allow football to return in a “safe and appropriate” manner and safeguard against the spread of the virus. Key to that would be testing and the Premier League is keen not to take resources away from vital services. The use of testing would require Government support.

The Premier League said that “all dates are tentative” and that it was looking at “possible schedule models” but it will struggle to complete the 2020-21 season if it starts after the first week in September because of the other competitions that need to be fitted in and the dates set for the next European Championships, starting on June 11, 2021.

Of prime importance is to not damage two seasons or risk what one Premier League source said was the “integrity” of the next campaign by extending this season beyond the summer. Clubs are concerned as to how they can complete the remaining games and allow a sufficient pre-season – and give the players a break – before the 2020-21 campaign starts.

The Premier League said it "remains our objective" to complete matches following the suspension of football on March 13. "In common with other businesses and industries, the Premier League and our clubs are working through complex planning scenarios," it said.

"We are actively engaging with stakeholders, including broadcast partners, and our aim is to ensure we are in a position to resume playing when it is safe to do so and with the full support of the government. The health and wellbeing of players, coaches, managers, club staff and supporters are our priority and the league will only restart when medical guidance allows.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Even beyond finishing this season (as it may be considered impractical at some point to finish it out), next season starting behind closed doors would be a huge possibility even if this season is just called done.

IMO football will return behind closed doors a good bit before it can return to full stadiums.

When people are being allowed to return to work, football will return. But that doesn't mean people will be encouraged to go to large scale mass gatherings like a concert or sporting event where contact tracing (if needed) would be logistically impossible.

a game cannot go ahead without an ambulance and a paramedic team on site.

if they are not required by the NHS, then the virus is under control and it should be business as normal. if they are required by the NHS the virus is not under control and nothing outside of the essential should be happening.

all presupposed on the assumption that they dont decide to sacrifice lives over the economy. it would be interesting to see that CBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

847 deaths in hospitals

Good article here discussing the UK and it's rate of growth in infection showing it to be much higher than any other country in Europe

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/positive-signs-in-europe-over-coronavirus-tempered-by-uk-who-says-994360.html

Looking at videos from certain areas of London last few days where hundreds are out shopping and no social distancing it ain't going away anytime soon in UK if that's what's still happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

far too much conflicting info.

do these articles give any official source?

far too much conflicting info.

do these articles give any official source?

Yeah... really much of it is commentary it looks like, rather than any sort of directive. That line of having to start by September instead of being any sort of directive is clearly more on the lines of “if we don’t start by then, it’ll be hard to have a normal season”. To be honest, I think we can throw having a normal season out the window right now. Whatever they do, it’ll have to be unlike how they’ve ever done things before, and will have to have a lot of redundancy built into how they handle it.

a game cannot go ahead without an ambulance and a paramedic team on site.

if they are not required by the NHS, then the virus is under control and it should be business as normal. if they are required by the NHS the virus is not under control and nothing outside of the essential should be happening.

all presupposed on the assumption that they dont decide to sacrifice lives over the economy. it would be interesting to see that CBA.

I think we’re going to have a looong period of the virus being somewhat under control - as in, the NHS is not required to be working at full capacity all the time - but still not being business as normal. Business as normal is what would cause the virus to spiral again, so once it’s under control, we’re still going to have all sorts of restrictions to keep it under control. So there’s likely a long period where there are ambulances available, but no mass gatherings anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is there a public/player appetite for games in empty stadiums? The few European games played just before the lockdown seemed pretty soulless affairs. I suppose there's such desperation for any live tv sport out there people will be mad for it...

• Advertisement

Yeah... really much of it is commentary it looks like, rather than any sort of directive. That line of having to start by September instead of being any sort of directive is clearly more on the lines of “if we don’t start by then, it’ll be hard to have a normal season”. To be honest, I think we can throw having a normal season out the window right now. Whatever they do, it’ll have to be unlike how they’ve ever done things before, and will have to have a lot of redundancy built into how they handle it.

They're kind of stuck both ways. As you say, September would be based on a normal season of 38 games. If it gets close to September you could be close to saying call this season now with no relegation. That would probably mean adding Leeds and West Brom and being back to a 42-game season in the PL again which would then mean you'd have had to start earlier than September to start it.

I think we're still 6 weeks away from them having the serious decisions to make about anything. Everything now is still modelling and scenario planning as there's just too much up in the tie timeline-wise

Is there a public/player appetite for games in empty stadiums? The few European games played just before the lockdown seemed pretty soulless affairs. I suppose there's such desperation for any live tv sport out there people will be mad for it...

As far as player appetite... I mean, personally I’d rather be working from our office, having a chat and a bit of a laugh with colleagues, but when work comes back I’m more than content to make do working from home if it means I keep getting a paycheck.

Daresay players and clubs will feel similarly. It’s far from ideal, but it’s necessary. And I can’t speak for anyone else, but I know I’ll be watching anyway.

They're kind of stuck both ways. As you say, September would be based on a normal season of 38 games. If it gets close to September you could be close to saying call this season now with no relegation. That would probably mean adding Leeds and West Brom and being back to a 42-game season in the PL again which would then mean you'd have had to start earlier than September to start it.

I think we're still 6 weeks away from them having the serious decisions to make about anything. Everything now is still modelling and scenario planning as there's just too much up in the tie timeline-wise

Yeah, have to think/hope that for next season they’re planning ways to run a season without needing so many games. Not playing the cups for a year, trying to find a balanced way to work a reduced league etc. Whatever can turn the season into something manageable rather than the unwieldy mess it’s become. Even under normal circumstances there’s just too many games, as we saw with Liverpool in both domestic cups this year. The normal calendar is impossible under these circumstances. Ideally they should be reducing the number of games by a third to have any chance of getting through it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

The glee some of the posters in here are getting posting the number of cases and deaths in the UK day after day is disgusting. This place really has gone to shiite with the nastiness of some posters been shown.

The glee some of the posters in here are getting posting the number of cases and deaths in the UK day after day is disgusting. This place really has gone to shiite with the nastiness of some posters been shown.

Jesus... can’t say I’ve seen any glee at all anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Any examples of posters showing glee and nastiness you can show me please ?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Can you please point out these posters who are happy with the deaths..
    that's a terrible accusation to be aiming at somebody and I think you should back it up or retract!

What a weird post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

More baseless claims again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

That was always going to be the case for me.

I think there is zero chance that they will allow next season to be messed up just to finish out this one, and that decision will be based purely on $$$.

Pathetic post shown up for what it is

Embarrassing

• Advertisement

That was always going to be the case for me.

I think there is zero chance that they will allow next season to be messed up just to finish out this one, and that decision will be based purely on $$$.

I doubt ‘allowing’ will come into it. Regardless what happens with this season, next season is definitely going to be a messed up. It’s pretty much unavoidable, so they’d be much better off planning with that in mind and accepting the realities they’ll have to work within.

There’s not much point in deciding one way or another what to do with this season until they know when it could resume. Nothing should be off the table, and nothing should be expected until that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The Premier League are continually putting our that their aim is to finish the current season. They have again today said that it "remains our objective" to complete matches but currently "all dates are tentative".

English Football League chairman Rick Parry said "delivering a successful conclusion to the 2019-20 season remains our goal to ensure the integrity of our competitions". He also said that the aim is to play behind closed doors at the start.

There's a Nottingham Forrest player today, Joe Worrall, that has said he'll go on strike if the season is declared null & void and they have to start again. He also welcomed the idea of playing behind closed doors too, and added that there are personal accolades to be met for players too, not just team league finishes.

While Tyrone Mings said that he would prefer to be playing at Villa Park rather than an empty stadium, he did say that he wanted the league to resume and that the Villa players want to resume this current season and finish it out.

Wayne Rooney is another that thinks it's fairer to finish out this current season first, even if it means that the next season will be affected or delayed as a result. He also said that football should go ahead behind closed doors if needs be.

The German leagues are still revising plans to resume their leagues behind closed doors, as are the French leagues planning on resuming in June.

These are all people who want football to resume. People who are actively engaged in the game. Players, coaches, officials, let alone the people who's livelihoods depend on football continuing. The general consensus among all the people involved in football is that they want the game to resume once it is safe to.

How come all the talk coming from players, clubs, decision makers seems to be that this current season is to be completed behind closed doors but a constant stream of the same posters here either don't want the season to be completed at all, want it null & void or else to not play football again until the vaccine is ready in 18 months time or whenever it is. Some think that this is a UK politics thread or a UK deaths update thread and just don't talk about football at all, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

FitzShane wrote: »
    The Premier League are continually putting our that their aim is to finish the current season. They have again today said that it "remains our objective" to complete matches but currently "all dates are tentative".

English Football League chairman Rick Parry said "delivering a successful conclusion to the 2019-20 season remains our goal to ensure the integrity of our competitions". He also said that the aim is to play behind closed doors at the start.

There's a Nottingham Forrest player today, Joe Worrall, that has said he'll go on strike if the season is declared null & void and they have to start again. He also welcomed the idea of playing behind closed doors too, and added that their is personal accolades to be met for players too, not just team league finishes.

While Tyrone Mings said that he would prefer to be playing at Villa Park rather than an empty stadium, he did say that he wanted the league to resume and that the Villa players want to resume this current season and finsih it out.

Wayne Rooney is another that thinks it's fairer to finish out this current season first, even if it means that the next season will be affected or delayed as a result. He also said that football should go ahead behind closed doors if needs be.

The German leagues are still revising plans to resume their leagues behind closed doors, as are the French leagues planning on resuming in June.

These are all people who want football to resume. People who are actively engaged in the game. Players, coaches, officials, let alone the people who's livelihoods depend on football continuing. The general consensus among all the people involved in football is that they want the game to resume once it is safe to.

How come all the talk coming from players, clubs, decision makers seems to be that this current season is to be completed behind closed doors but a constant stream of the same posters here either don't want the season to be completed at all, want it null & void or else to not play football again until the vaccine is ready in 18 months time or whenever it is. Some think that this is a UK politics thread or a UK deaths update thread and just don't talk about football at all, for some reason.

I think that everyone wants football to start back as soon as possible, wouldn't be a fan if we didn't!
    The majority just say it will start back when it is safe to do so (me included) and NO, I don't know when that will be (just thought I'd clarify that bit before I get hopped on to explain myself).

Will this season finish.... noone knows....
    Will next season be affected.... noone knows....

But in relation to your post, who has posted here about Politics and Deaths but doesn't post about football.
    I only ask as this is the 2nd post recently to make claims about unnamed posters that I just don't believe are true and feel if people are going to make claims/accusations they should back them up.

Yes posters have commented on deaths, etc but in the context of how it is related to the discussions.. the tread is called "Football & Coronavirus"

Please back up your claims/accusations....

Opinions are different as we are all entitled to our own.

But in relation to your post, who has posted here about Politics and Deaths but doesn't post about football.
    I only ask as this is the 2nd post recently to make claims about unnamed posters that I just don't believe are true and feel if people are going to make claims/accusations they should back them up.

pet peeve of mine aswell so I will do it now using the quotes from the thread.

At least Brinty has some football related posts in this thread skirted around these, but there is a common theme.
    brinty wrote: »
    Very interesting to see one group of supporters talking about football returning in Poland and France as a beacon of hope things will start back up in England soon.

The same Poland and France that are over run by deaths and over stretched health services. With thousands of deaths every day, and a pandemicnthat hasn't even peaked yet in their countries.

Oh wait Poland and France did things right. They took the appropriate actions, flattened their curves and passed the peak. Their deaths are miniscule compared to the UK.

C'mon folks, be realistic will you. You're fooling no one bar yourselves, and your fantasy that things will be back soon is just that ... A fantasy.

The UK isn't close to being on top of things, life won't get back to normal for them for way longer than any of us can imagine. Never mind mass gatherings or even behind closed doors sport.

Tell that to the 700+ families who lost loved ones today. That's the hospital numbers alone, doesn't count those that are not in hospital i.e. nursing homes and those not in hospitals.

700+ people went to hospital and never went home.

The UK is nowhere close to the peak

At least they're taking all necessary measures to deal with it. 3 weeks is still optimistic I'd imagine but we'll have to see

861 families in mourning for loved ones passed, with that being only the numbers in hospitals is steady enough and good news.

I'd consider that to be horrific myself and an absolute travesty. But you're welcome to your opinion ��

Weren't there hundreds of fines handed out in the North alone this weekend for parties barbeques etc.

Multiply that by the population of Britain, and six weeks looks like a very early peak. Could be months yet before this peaks in the UK. Thousands more lives will be lost and they still won't take it seriously.

And yet all some want is the keep talking about the return of a stupid game.

but these are all of this thanking poster's contributions to the thread, with actual words.
    Think UK are about 6 weeks behind Spain and that's under the assumption UK containment measures are at the same level

Unfortunately they are not and are failing fast. Knowhere near the rules and discipline being enforced in other countries.
    Breaking up 600+ house parties in Manchester alone clearly shows everyone in the UK are taking things seriously
    This context is key
    I have relatives in Spain

600 euro fine if you are found outside and not going to work chemist or shop

300 euro if you are found in a car with another person

You are only allowed walk your dog if you have a dog license and only one person can walk the dog

You must use the nearest food shop. There is no 2km rule

You have to have a letter in your car to confirm you are an essential worker

All of this is heavily enforced

Compare that to the UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52313715

Lockdown extended in UK for at least another 3 weeks

861 deaths in hospitals

847 deaths in hospitals

And the mods deleted some posts too by the looks of things for being off topic.

to be fair to Rasta, he is a Manchester resident, but surely these should be in the UK covid threads?
    RasTa wrote: »
    619 dead in Spain yesterday then 517 overnight.

Doesn't seem too smart to be relaxing lockdown rules just yet

It's already being confirmed that the UK numbers are way off true figures. They haven't peaked yet
    He posted the same yesterday about the numbers dropping. Seems strange, most of the papers over here don't agree. Wednesday you will see a big number sadly.
    As expected, drop in numbers seems to be a weekend thing. I expect over 1000 tomorrow
    Replace France with Germany I'd guess. Although the French are including nursing home deaths
    yabadabado wrote: »
    That is great news and iirc Italy is similar?

Will the UK follow suit ,have their containment measures been good enough or any possible dates when the UK expect to see number decrease?
    yabadabado wrote: »
    Thats a huge difference with the UK so.Id not be using Spain as any sort of barometer for the UK .

Heard it mentioned on the news earlier that the UK aren't including health workers or people who dont die in hospital as covid 19 cases.

That seems very odd and will skew the figures.

Seen one report where a industry figure estimated 1000 people who died in care homes may not have been counted.

There's actually a lot more, but these are the most common posters that seem to be just talking about the UK covid-19 topic and avoiding football, in my eyes. Maybe there's more, but I have not noticed as much. In between the other British & business tax payer talk from a week or so ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thread name: Football and Coronavirus

Complaint: talking too much about Coronavirus when there is no football being played.

Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This article is actually disappointing "if" true then UK deaths may be 50% greater then first published

Over 14,000 deaths by stats this would raise it over 22,000 if confirmed. Again if true. Hopefully not as many as feared or worst case scenario but still this shows how far behind UK might actually be.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-as-many-as-7-500-may-have-died-from-covid-19-in-care-homes-estimate-11975003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The discussion the last few pages on where the UK are in the coronavirus “cycle” and when they may be hitting the peak, when they may ease lockdown measures etc are directly related to when football may come back. I mean there is no football at the moment and the Premier league ain’t doing much decision wise. It’s a wait and see situation.

It’s ludicrous imo to complain about these type of posts. Disagree with the content of them all you want but it’s a weird sort of logic that multi quotes them and complains about them.

Liam O wrote: »
    Thread name: Football and Coronavirus

Complaint: talking too much about Coronavirus when there is no football being played.

Bizarre.

It’s coming from the same people who spout something like “sure it has to finish over X” then posters present points why it doesn’t and they run and hide rather then give their reasons to contrary. They re appear then hours later and post the same it has to finish stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ive no problem people talking about the deaths in the Uk and the cases they have because its relevant to the chances of football returning. You do have a particular poster trying to point score when somebody makes a point that the deaths are starting to level off and then makes claims that Ive not seen anywhere else about France and the UK peak that contradicts everything else Ive read. As was mentioned on here a good while back it would be a much better place if posters from the same side of this imaginary war called out posters when it clearly needs to happen.

Ive no problem people talking about the deaths in the Uk and the cases they have because its relevant to the chances of football returning. You do have a particular poster trying to point score when somebody makes a point that the deaths are starting to level off and then makes claims that Ive not seen anywhere else about France and the UK peak that contradicts everything else Ive read. As was mentioned on here a good while back it would be a much better place if posters from the same side of this imaginary war called out posters when it clearly needs to happen.

There is a cluster here who just can’t accept some posters point of view or arguments that they think the season won’t be completed also, it’s tiring. Getting so worked up over it, especially when there’s every chance if not a greater chance that the season doesn’t finish than actually finishing.

Agreed. We had a back and forth over a week ago about a couple of different opinions and sources for claims. Makes the thread enjoyable with various participants. We didn’t have to run and hide or resort to making up imaginary posts to try and validate ourselfs. For the most part when posters are called out they run and hide which is annoying

Looks like Irish deaths peaked 10 days ago according to Hoolahan. Peak flattened. Restrictions should hopefully be relaxed a bit.

Hopefully the UK can follow suit soon, and we might get a better idea what's happening with sport.

6 wrote: »
    Looks like Irish deaths peaked 10 days ago according to Hoolahan. Peak flattened. Restrictions should hopefully be relaxed a bit.

Hopefully the UK can follow suit soon, and we might get a better idea what's happening with sport.

I read that also but I’m confused over it. Deaths have been rising during the week & seem to me anyways to be keeping consistent towards the end of the week even though it was a record number Thursday, does that mean they expect them dropping from today?

I read that also but I’m confused over it. Deaths have been rising during the week & seem to me anyways to be keeping consistent towards the end of the week even though it was a record number Thursday, does that mean they expect them dropping from today?

He had a chart with the actual day of death. The peak was April 7th.

00142c61-500.jpg

Story here

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0418/1132271-deaths-covid-holohan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

When they announce deaths, it's not necessarily given in the next days figures. So those higher numbers the last few days may have been from a few days ago, if not even longer. I think the report/research looked at all the info and put the info in as a per day report, so older days figures should be higher, now should be lower.

Can see some restrictions being lifted here, but will be longer in the UK due to severe incompetence in early stages (and on-going ambiguity to restrictions). As for getting 22 players, 2× management teams, medical teams and others needed for games to take place...thatll be quite a way off surely, and that's only for behind closed doors to take place

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Agreed. We had a back and forth over a week ago about a couple of different opinions and sources for claims. Makes the thread enjoyable with various participants. We didn’t have to run and hide or resort to making up imaginary posts to try and validate ourselfs. For the most part when posters are called out they run and hide which is annoying
    100% agree . You made a point I disagreed . You backed your point up with some reasoning we move on.

00142c61-500.jpg

Story here

That is some good news. I presume that works for the positive testing too?

Perhaps not much a good time to announce that, this weekend could prove if we’re turning the corner or not, I work in baby formula manufacturing & travel 25km to work & noticed a huge surge of traffic this morning on the roads, my Mrs has been to the local SuperValu and she told me the car park which holds a couple hundred spaces is practically full.

People seem to be relaxing to the restrictions this week.

100% agree . You made a point I disagreed . You backed your point up with some reasoning we move on.

It’s certainly a lot better then the bunch who just use “I don’t care about your opinion” on a public forum/message board and fabricate lies to justify them selfs and go to ground then. If you feel strongly enough to post then do so and be willing to back up any claims you’ve made in said post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

00142c61-500.jpg

Story here

That's great. I was getting worried that deaths were going up.

Can't see crowds being allowed until a vaccine but behind closed doors is a real possibility in the summer imo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement