Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Unearthly wrote: »
    That's great. I was getting worried that deaths were going up.

Can't see crowds being allowed until a vaccine but behind closed doors is a real possibility in the summer imo

In fairness it's no surprise really. Ireland have done things so much better then our neighbours.

In fairness it's no surprise really. Ireland have done things so much better then our neighbours.

And that's the critical factor. It's good news for the country but we need to keep it up and not get complacent.

The Irish governments handling of this has been well thought out tbf. Fine Geal have gained alot of respect back from the Irish people I suspect.

It can also be used as a direct comparison to the UKs failures in handling the crisis.

Alot of folks here have been pointing that out.

It's relevant to the return of sport everywhere in regards to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Mushy wrote: »
    Can see some restrictions being lifted here, but will be longer in the UK due to severe incompetence in early stages (and on-going ambiguity to restrictions). As for getting 22 players, 2× management teams, medical teams and others needed for games to take place...thatll be quite a way off surely, and that's only for behind closed doors to take place

Didn't Holohan also say that the data was " showing two very different experiences of Coronavirus currently in Ireland. In the population at large, the virus has been contained and effectively suppressed. However the experience of the disease in long terms residential care care settings continues to be of concern."

To me, that would suggest that there general community and the lockdown conditions seems to have generally beaten the virus but the posting of high numbers of new cases and deaths is coming from nursing homes.

That, to me, suggests there will be some lifting of restrictions soon in the general population with obvious restrictions still in place for residential care homes.

Spain and Italy have also sent some areas of employment back to work such as construction. I can see construction coming back first for Ireland too.

Are the UK or other countries posting data behind some numbers? I know Ireland posted the median age nearly every day and it was always around 85.

If the UK posted 1500 new cases and 1000 new cases, what is the percentage and data behind there. I'm not saying they are but there is a chance that 60%-75% of their numbers are in a similar scenario Ireland.
    Posters just posting how many deaths there are in the UK, in reply to nobody, just posting a death number has no real context in terms of what affect it will have in sport.

Can sport continue in Ireland behind closed doors this year? Based on what Tony Holohan has said, yes. For exanple, if there are 400 new cases every day for a week and all of them are in residential areas in Dublin, would that affect what happens to 2 GAA clubs in West Kerry who have had no cases for about 6 weeks?

Also, as an aside, when there was the Coronavirus outbreak, there seemed to be a big percentage of cases that were footballers or involved in football clubs. It probably was because they had easier access to doctors and ease of testing. Hudson-Odoi, Arteta and Brighton, West Ham all announced cases in their clubs 5 weeks ago, around the first week of large scale outbreak in the UK. It was an extremely high amount of footballers: general population that were testing positive. The numbers weren't right. There has been more testing performed since then in the UK and I can't remember many new cases coming from the players and coaches clubs in the last couple of weeks, compared to 5 weeks ago when there was a higher number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The idea that cases in residential Dublin wouldn't effect GAA clubs in West Kerry is almost Trumpesque in it's ignorance of how this virus actually travels outside of a lockdown.

Nobody working or travelling to Dublin from any of those teams? Nobody been in contact with anyone doing the same? The curve flattening is more about delaying the inevitable really and not overwhelming healthcare systems. People are going to get this until a vaccine is produced, it's about stopping everyone getting it at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

FitzShane wrote: »
    Didn't Holohan also say that the data was " showing two very different experiences of Coronavirus currently in Ireland. In the population at large, the virus has been contained and effectively suppressed. However the experience of the disease in long terms residential care care settings continues to be of concern."

To me, that would suggest that there general community and the lockdown conditions seems to have generally beaten the virus but the posting of high numbers of new cases and deaths is coming from nursing homes.

That, to me, suggests there will be some lifting of restrictions soon in the general population with obvious restrictions still in place for residential care homes.

Spain and Italy have also sent some areas of employment back to work such as construction. I can see construction coming back first for Ireland too.

Are the UK or other countries posting data behind some numbers? I know Ireland posted the median age nearly every day and it was always around 85.

If the UK posted 1500 new cases and 1000 new cases, what is the percentage and data behind there. I'm not saying they are but there is a chance that 60%-75% of their numbers are in a similar scenario Ireland.
    Posters just posting how many deaths there are in the UK, in reply to nobody, just posting a death number has no real context in terms of what affect it will have in sport.

Can sport continue in Ireland behind closed doors this year? Based on what Tony Holohan has said, yes. For exanple, if there are 400 new cases every day for a week and all of them are in residential areas in Dublin, would that affect what happens to 2 GAA clubs in West Kerry who have had no cases for about 6 weeks?

Also, as an aside, when there was the Coronavirus outbreak, there seemed to be a big percentage of cases that were footballers or involved in football clubs. It probably was because they had easier access to doctors and ease of testing. Hudson-Odoi, Arteta and Brighton, West Ham all announced cases in their clubs 5 weeks ago, around the first week of large scale outbreak in the UK. It was an extremely high amount of footballers: general population that were testing positive. The numbers weren't right. There has been more testing performed since then in the UK and I can't remember many new cases coming from the players and coaches clubs in the last couple of weeks, compared to 5 weeks ago when there was a higher number.

Yeah there will likely be a lifting of restrictions here I'd say, but itll likely be allowing the odd visitor to a house or something. Social distancing in public will be in place for a long time, so cant see sports coming back where it isnt possible to achieve.

It may be different in the UK, who knows what nonsense theyll come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

6 wrote: »
    He had a chart with the actual day of death. The peak was April 7th.

00142c61-500.jpg

Story here

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0418/1132271-deaths-covid-holohan/

That's an interesting graph alright. The only thing that I would worry about is that in the article itself it states

He explained that what the National Public Health Emergency Team reports on a daily basis is the number of deaths notified to them on any particular day rather than the numbers who actually died on that day.

He said that it can take a few days or even longer before any particular death is actually notified to them.

So this might mean that deaths have taken place after after that graph or over the next few days which relate to the time after the peak on the graph but haven't been reported to them yet.

I think we might need to hold off for another 7 to 10 days before we can start to give any clarity on numbers definitely dropping.

Hopefully they are and we can all start to get back to a more normal life but could be a could while before we get back to the old normal as restrictions of some sort will probably be around for lot longer and these might impact on social gatherings of large numbers and compact areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Liam O wrote: »
    The idea that cases in residential Dublin wouldn't effect GAA clubs in West Kerry is almost Trumpesque in it's ignorance of how this virus actually travels outside of a lockdown.

Nobody working or travelling to Dublin from any of those teams? Nobody been in contact with anyone doing the same? The curve flattening is more about delaying the inevitable really and not overwhelming healthcare systems. People are going to get this until a vaccine is produced, it's about stopping everyone getting it at once.

Which is why imo, behind closed doors won’t work. Say you tell the PL teams the restart, BCD, is in 2 weeks. Conservatively say 20 players and 5 managers/coach’s in each first team. That’s 25 people by 20 clubs = 500 people. Over the 2 week long training camp say 5% of those show Symptoms of CoVid. And need to isolate and be tested. Would their clubs still be expected to prepare to play games when the suspected person may be after infecting others? What if they show symptoms the morning of a match after been at the team meeting? If that player isolates who’s to say others don’t have it and then they go out and play a match and infect a portion of the other team? Or the doctors on duty who may be reporting to a hospital the following day?

Just because everyone in the squad is clear at the beginning of the training camp doesn’t mean they will be at the end of the camp

Say a player gets badly hurt and the doctor treating them has picked it up in a hospital where they were the day before and pass’s it on to a club/team?

I want football back locally and internationally as much as the next person but it’s not just as easy as saying we will lock the doors and it’ll be grand.

There’s approx 9 games left each. Say we get through match day 1 and that week a few people report symptoms. They will hardly be allowed to compete in match day 2 until its proven they are all clear. Would it be fair then to continue to play match day 2 with teams missing players due to the virus?

I accept there’s a lot of what if’s in above but these need answering before BCD match’s can begin. Bare in mind the numbers I quote above do not include people like Chefs,waiters,cleaners,kit men,physios,referees etc etc that will all be in close contact also

Here’s a better breakdown of just how many people would need to be present to put on a PL match

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4085774/premier-league-games-behind-closed-doors-here-how-many-people-would-have-to-be-present?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lots of voices online starting to say behind closed doors in June is likely to be an actual thing now. Of course lots of voices doesn’t actually mean anything until they’re the right voices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is there a problem playing these games in a training pitch or ground with lesser resources required in terms of manpower?

Even giving a few quid to smaller clubs to use their stadiums would benefit more clubs and theoretically facilitate the games.

Still think uefa and Lesgues can keep talking all they want but it’s all pie in the sky until countries see how their own reduction in restrictions work out.

European cups are even worse because some countries might be not so bad and others riddled. Don’t see how that’s gonna be resolved anytime other then maybe having all euro games in countries that aren’t too bad. Would football squads outside UK be happy going to UK to play a euro game? Not a chance if it’s still lagging behind everybody else...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The way I see it football cant stop until there is a vaccine if thats a year away as reported. I view football at the top level as an industry. Industry cant stop until there is a vaccine ways have to be found to get by as best we can with all industries adapting. The measures we have taken have meant there has been financial hardship for a proportion of society however if these type of measures are to go on for another few months financial hardship will hit the majority of society. The government will have to cut the pension, the dole, the 350 payment, public sector wages, the people still working will have to pay more taxes etc etc. Will society still be as compliant in a few months I just cant see it. Even in Dublin the last week I can see people taking more chances and doing things they werent doing 2 weeks ago. So for me football comes back behind closed doors the decision is do they prioritise this season or next season. What is sacrificed as they wont get this season and next season fully finished by June 21. Choices are 1 write off this season in the hope that they can complete a full 20/21 season . 2 Complete this season and have a shortened season next year something like just play each other once or a CL group stage competition for PL. 3 finish this season and move to calendar season for next year . 4 Dont play football again till the virus is gone which more than likely means starting a season in aug 21.
    Option 3 is what Id go with it gives us till december 2021 to finish 1 and a quarter seasons and would allow some time for further disruption due to the coronavirus. Going with option 1 is a big risk of ruining 2 seasons. Option 4 means hardly any football club can survive .

CSF wrote: »
    Lots of voices online starting to say behind closed doors in June is likely to be an actual thing now. Of course lots of voices doesn’t actually mean anything until they’re the right voices.

Is that from the FPL lad that works in broadcasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would say that talk of football behind closed doors in June is because if football is played in June it could only be done behind closed doors.

It is still very possible that government guidance as well as health and safety advice (and insurance reasons) mean that playing behind closed doors in June is also not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liam O wrote: »

I asked a question, not a statement. I asked can sport continue if the virus is even more contained in communities than it currently is.

I'm fully aware of flattening the curve means too.

So I'll ask another question - what's the threshold needed in order for any sport to continue? Is it 0 positive active cases in Ireland for all sport to continue?

Another question - would 1 positive case, with a person who is in hospital in a Dublin City put a stop to all sport in the rest Ireland being called off? Does that 1 case mean that restrictions have to stay in place for everyone all over the country with no travel in or out of the country until a vaccine is found?

As I said last night, there is a reason why all the sporting bodies are putting measures in place for sport to resume this year's behind closed doors. Social distancing is working and we can't all put our lives on hold for 18 months until a vaccine is found. We have to work with the restrictions, not against them.

There's talks today that our peak has already passed in Ireland's which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is that from the FPL lad that works in broadcasting.

That’s one of the sources alright. And you wouldn’t know if all the other people saying it have just read that and decided to act like they also have a scoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All sport behind closed doors could be what we are in for till a vaccine is found and delivered around the world.

Then you have the anti vaxxers who won't take it which may delay mass social events even longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

All sport behind closed doors could be what we are in for till a vaccine is found and delivered around the world.

Then you have the anti vaxxers who won't take it which may delay mass social events even longer.

By the time a vaccine is available we'll probably have had 1 or 2 more cycles of peaking followed by lockdown followed by easing of restrictions etc. You'd have to think that by that time a lot of the population will have gained immunity.

Comes back to the question Fitzshane asked - basically what's the cut-off point. Is one confirmed case in the country enough to shut everything down? I can't imagine one case would do that, especially when you consider that this virus is not as dangerous as, say, the Spanish flu was. Is it 100 cases? etc

Rhetorical questions btw, I don't expect anyone on here to have the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

gstack166 wrote: »
    There is a cluster here who just can’t accept some posters point of view or arguments that they think the season won’t be completed also, it’s tiring. Getting so worked up over it, especially when there’s every chance if not a greater chance that the season doesn’t finish than actually finishing.

There's a cluster alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

gstack166 wrote:
    There is a cluster here who just can’t accept some posters point of view or arguments that they think the season won’t be completed also, it’s tiring. Getting so worked up over it, especially when there’s every chance if not a greater chance that the season doesn’t finish than actually finishing.

Couldn't agree with you more if I tried. And these same posters shout down any and all opinions suggesting football be placed in the back burner. They keep requesting behind closed doors games sololy to finish just one competition (to hell with everything else which they've been knocked out of already) with complete disregard for the resources needed for a game to take place. Policing, security, tv personnel, medical staff, not forgetting the teams and their backroom staff and players. And how are you going to keep fans away?? How much of a drain will that put on policing? Can anyone seriously tell me that if Liverpool are playing a game at Anfield to win the league (their first in 30+ years) their fans will stay away from the ground.

I wouldn’t worry about it mate, this years competitions in Europe & England aren’t getting completed & you can take that to the bank, no matter what other arguments against the contrary the usual suspects will put forth here.

Sounds like you've a hard time accepting other posters viewpoints yourself.

Most on here, both LFC & Utd supporters, are giving their opinions on what will happen. You're presenting your opinion as fact.

noodler wrote: »
    There's a cluster alright.

I'd say singular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

No one knows how or when this is all going to end, ultimately it will come down to finances and clubs will decide what best suits them regardless how fair or unfair it is. Each option has it's own risks and will benefit some clubs more than others.
    Finishing the season behind closed doors is probably the least worst option and fairest as teams will be rewarded and relegated on the pitch; there are issues around player contracts and how long can teams can wait to complete the season and the risks associated with playing behind closed doors. One advantage is when the season was completed the league could review what they want to do regarding next season.

Finishing the season as it stands and rewarding and relegating teams is not ideal but, has some merit however, not all teams have played the same amount of games and alot could change over the course of the remaining fixtures; there would definitely be legal challenges.
    Finishing the season and declaring it null and void and starting next season is probably the worst option as it would lead to legal challenges, it rewards the teams that underperformed and there's no guarantee that next season would be unaffected by Covid-19. It would also be difficult to start a new season behind closed doors knowing that the full season may have to remain behind closed doors.

I'd say singular

There's at least three of ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

noodler wrote: »
    There's at least three of ye.

One who seems to get away with stirring a lot

• Advertisement

Thinking about the effect Co-Vid 19 is having and the people saying “but it has to finish” got me thinking of other sports and rain affected cricket match’s.

Say, a odi cricket match (50-overs each) is interrupted after the first 60 (50+10) overs due to sudden rain and the rain does not stop. In some instances, teams may continue to play the game the following day, but by in large, such one-day matches are abandoned. And no winner is declared.

Do the spectators ever get refunded in such a situation? No. (A complete or a sizable washout is different.)
    Do cricket boards ever refund TV money for that match ? No.
    Are the records from such abandoned matches, like wickets taken and runs scored, erased from history books? No.

This happens all the time in cricket, in every single country. I have never heard anyone say something like “loss of integrity of cricket because of abandonment”.

I am amazed by the sheer number of people still rambling about “game integrity”. And more so by folks, who are so blindly driven to push a certain agenda which is the PL has to finish. No engagement on anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Thinking about the effect Co-Vid 19 is having and the people saying “but it has to finish” got me thinking of other sports and rain affected cricket match’s.

Say, a odi cricket match (50-overs each) is interrupted after the first 60 (50+10) overs due to sudden rain and the rain does not stop. In some instances, teams may continue to play the game the following day, but by in large, such one-day matches are abandoned. And no winner is declared.

Do the spectators ever get refunded in such a situation? No. (A complete or a sizable washout is different.)
    Are the records from such abandoned matches, like wickets taken and runs scored, erased from history books? No.

This happens all the time in cricket, in every single country. I have never heard anyone say something like “loss of integrity of cricket because of abandonment”.

I am amazed by the sheer number of people still rambling about “game integrity”. And more so by folks, who are so blindly driven to push a certain agenda which is the PL has to finish. No engagement on anything else.

They have the Duckworth-Lewis method to determine winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You kind of answered your own question. An ODI is one day not 7/8 months as the football season has been before the plug was pulled.

No agenda here. I would just prefer to finish something that is already 75% complete rather than pretending it didn’t happen.

What I would like to happen has no bearing on what will happen though.

Looks like no mass gatherings for the rest of 2020 in Ireland. Expect the UK to be the same. Behind closed doors it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Backup days in one day cricket are only used in knockout tournaments settings and even then there’s been occasions where semi finals have been decided by means other than actually playing the game. One day game series and World Cup group stage games are just declared no result if no play is possible. Think you need 20 overs (120 balls) per side to constitute a game and then they can start applying mathematical formulas to try make it fair.

Refunds are 100% if less than 15 overs
    50% if between 15-30 overs
    None over that

So to get even 50% back you can have no more than 30% of the game played

You're talking about two different scenarios there, though. People are suggesting that integrity of football will be called into question if the season is voided, not just abandoned. As you said yourself, the results in cricket still stand after abandonment. So, why should the football season, which is 75% done, just have the results etc erased? People suggesting that are just as 'blindly driven by agenda' as people on the other side.

If the season is abandoned with results standing, such as in Scotland, so be it. I'll take the PL title for Liverpool and all the imaginary asterixes that lads will throw at it, and I won't care. I would just be a little saddened that it meant that the reality of the situation in Europe is so bad with this virus that we couldn't even manage to play games behind closed doors.

People have an agenda now it seems if they want to the season finished? Is it a bad thing to want the season finished?

Does the same apply to people who want it cancelled? Have they an agenda? If so what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

People have an agenda now it seems if they want to the season finished? Is it a bad thing to want the season finished?

Does the same apply to people who want it cancelled? Have they an agenda? If so what is it?

Every football fan should want the season finished. Behind closed doors on TV would surely be good for everyone mentally. A break from the more serious issues at present would be great

In a nutshell...

Scenario 1: League completed behind closed doors. Disaster as LFC will wrap up the league. Doesn't matter that it implies that Europe, and the UK, is getting back on its feet.
    Scenario 2: League abandoned with results standing: Bad as LFC crowned champions, but some positives as neutrals can at least get creative with meme's and asterixes and the like, about LFC not crossing the finishing line on the pitch etc.
    Scenario 3: League abandoned and voided: Dream scenario. No title for LFC and hilarious banter for the neutrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Looks like no mass gatherings for the rest of 2020 in Ireland. Expect the UK to be the same. Behind closed doors it is.

You can't just say sh1t like this and provide no source.

Please link to the story and government comments you must be referring to.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    In a nutshell...

Scenario 1: League completed behind closed doors. Disaster as LFC will wrap up the league. Doesn't matter that it implies that Europe, and the UK, is getting back on its feet.
    Scenario 2: League abandoned with results standing: Bad as LFC crowned champions, but some positives as neutrals can at least get creative with meme's and asterixes and the like, about LFC not crossing the finishing line on the pitch etc.
    Scenario 3: League abandoned and voided: Dream scenario. No title for LFC and hilarious banter for the neutrals.

Scenario 3. Even at the expense of your own club? Doubt anyone but fake fans want that to happen if their own club is still in contention for anything. This scenario is the least supported Id imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0419/1132436-harris-its-unlikely-well-see-mass-gatherings-in-2020/

Simon Harris. Ireland Health Minister

It's highly unlikely we're going to be seeing very large kinds of mass gatherings this year," he said.

Link here

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0419/1132436-harris-its-unlikely-well-see-mass-gatherings-in-2020/

Scenario 3. Even at the expense of your own club? Doubt anyone but fake fans want that to happen if their own club is still in contention for anything. This scenario is the least supported Id imagine.

Seemingly so, yeah. LFC is hated that much by some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

Cant see that happening either.

Install the rte app on your phone.

To apply to football they would just call every remaining game a draw that finishes this season off. The teams that just miss out on europe, get relegated and just miss out on promotion would be very unhappy. So now the next problem is can we guarantee that next season will be finished by May 2021 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Behind closed doors is almost impossible to achieve as pointed out in the SI article I posted a few days ago.

First you would have to isolate every player on the books for 2 weeks.
    You would also have to isolate every essential backroom employee, coaches, medical, logistics etc.
    You have to isolate every media person.

Each would have to isolate individually and tested before they start isolation.
    If any one is positive they have to be replaced with someone again who is isolating and is not positive.

Rinse and repeat until you are sure no one is positive.

Then they can isolate in groups.

As for the logistics of playing games they would have to train totally isolated from the outside world, play totally isolated from the outside world, travel to and from locations totally isolated from the outside world.

Their facilities would have to be 100% inaccessible from the outside world for weeks before they could be used, training grounds, stadiums, hotels, transport etc.

And what about medical assistance, firstly can they be spared from the NHS and secondly how do you deal with a player that has to attend hospital
    Do they isolate again for 14 days before rejoining the squad.

All of that is a huge task, it's mindbogingly massive.

And not worth it IMO.

If mass gatherings aren’t allowed then closed doors is the best possible scenario. The alternative is no football at all and clubs going under.

Hopefully this won’t put Irish clubs out of business. Although it won’t be only small country worried of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

What if matches behind closed doors weren't allowed to return until September or October, should we still finish the current season or start a new one?

Its a hard call.

What if matches behind closed doors weren't allowed to return until September or October, should we still finish the current season or start a new one?

Its a hard call.

Finish this one, but June 30th + people out of contracts might make things a minefield.

I don’t know though as know expert but seen nothing to see that it could be resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Seemingly so, yeah. LFC is hated that much by some.

You're right. People not allowed outside for months, go to any sporting or music events for a year and loved ones potentially dying but it's all about "LFC".

Really is the most up it's own hole fanbase in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Premier league clubs are spending on average close to £50m a week on wages and with no income coming in it won't be long before most cannot afford to pay and will start to release players to save the clubs from going under.

If no football is played again this year then next season is done as well and football as we know it is finished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement