Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

If clubs go under they go under.

That's the reality of any business in and outside of football.

I see nothing happening on a mass scale or even "closed doors" football until an actual vaccine is done.

It's already been discussed what "closed doors" football would take and it could involve hundreds of people.

Not feasible and not safe.

The vaccine is actually in phase 3 clinical trial so it is probably a year or so off if successful submission to the FDA happens on the basis of the trial results.

Gilliad in the US are the pharma company leading this from what I read.

Marketing for different territories would be required and actual costing adds loads of time on top of that but still. It's being worked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hopefully this won’t put Irish clubs out of business. Although it won’t be only small country worried of course.

The one thing that might actually save a lot of them is that they aren’t actually full time. All those part time and 9 month contracts will definitively end In the near future and that’s all they may be obliged to honour depending on any future club/league/player/fai agreements.

Whereas in other countries you have lower divisions clubs with players tied to multi-year deals and no way out of them. If they don’t get an income stream generated again, and/or players don’t agree to voluntarily waive a certain amount of earnings and/or league or association don’t provide a bailout to clubs, then they’ll go to the wall.

The semi-pro/amateur clubs here might just be able to moth ball themselves long enough to stick it out and hopefully this FAI will be more sensible with registration fees whenever the day comes for the leagues to get going again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

First you would have to isolate every player on the books for 2 weeks.
    You would also have to isolate every essential backroom employee, coaches, medical, logistics etc.
    You have to isolate every media person.

They already are doing this. They have been doing it for the last 4+ weeks.

At the start of the outbreak in the UK, there was a high number of active football players & coaches who were testing positive - Arteta, Hudson-Odoi, West Ham players & Brighton players all within the first week if memory serves me right.

How many has there been in the last 3 weeks since? Not many that I can think of off hand, if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Liam O wrote: »
    You're right. People not allowed outside for months, go to any sporting or music events for a year and loved ones potentially dying but it's all about "LFC".

Really is the most up it's own hole fanbase in the world.

Is there nothing that can be done to stop this blatant trolling by utd fans?

(And indeed the less blatant by the usual suspects).

Closed doors will happen if fans aren't allowed. Not a hope will the game just be allowed to fall apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

6 wrote: »
    Closed doors will happen if fans aren't allowed. Not a hope will the game just be allowed to fall apart.

Will wait and see I personally dont think it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I see nothing happening on a mass scale or even "closed doors" football until an actual vaccine is done.

It's already been discussed what "closed doors" football would take and it could involve hundreds of people.

The vaccine is actually in phase 3 clinical trial so it is probably a year or so off if successful submission to the FDA happens on the basis of the trial results.

Marketing for different territories would be required and actual costing adds loads of time on top of that but still. It's being worked on.
    no chance clubs will just accept they have to go under.

At some stage society will start to come out pf lockdown in the next few months.

A lockdown cannot last near a year.

Also some new studies show 50% of people develop no symptoms. Am anti body test will determine how many people have had the virus.

celt262 wrote: »
    Will wait and see I personally dont think it will.

Whats the alternative? Wrap up football until a vaccine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Premier league clubs are spending on average close to £50m a week on wages

No they aren't.

It would be less than a tenth of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

What if matches behind closed doors weren't allowed to return until September or October, should we still finish the current season or start a new one?

Its a hard call.

Sept/Oct is part of the 2020/21 season so it’s obvious that you start a new league competition then, provided it’s safe to do so and matches can be adequately policed, with security and all the requisite personnel in place.

As Kew said the legal minefield of over lapping seasons starts on July 1. Players out of contract are free to move. Players who’ve signed pre contracts are free to join their new clubs. By my reading of things there’s only two transfer windows allowed in a season, so you can’t have another one in the 2019/20 season.

The last time this happened was in 1939/40 and the outbreak of WWII the season was abandoned. Only three games had been played in the season but the precedent is there. I see no difference between what happened the. And what’s happening now.

And no you can’t award league titles, it’s not set out in any rule book that after a certain number of games a champion can be crowned. I know if it was Manchester United top of the table and were deemed champions, I’d never count it as a title won or earned.

Unless it’s earned on the pitch it’s not a title won. Anyone claiming differently for their club needs to really look in the mirror. Some things in life are bigger than football. As Klopp said football is the most important of the least important things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A vaccine may possibly not happen for maybe 2-3 years or they may not develop one at all

Everyone stay in lockdown until then?

Clubs and competitions all over Europe are in planning for behind closed doors play. If it wasn't possible they would know that

Who cares what the clubs think
    There is every chance they go under
    That's what happens in a global recession to any business

A lot of people think Football does not come before a pandemic

It's already been discussed the restrictions will be in place for 2020 at ant very least in many countries

This could go through multiple phases during outbreak

Flattening the curve is to allow the hospitals to cope and not about elimination of the virus

A vaccine does that

And then the potential risk of virus mutation

Staying grounded in reality does not mean being negative. Another generated narrative

MD1990 wrote: »
    A vaccine may possibly not happen for maybe 2-3 years or they may not develop one at all

Everyone stay in lockdown until then?

People love being negative. Football will return soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This thread has been closed for the moment. As I am sure you are aware there is a global pandemic going on and not everyones focus is on boards whilst at the same time this thread itself is generating more reported posts than any other in the forum.

This thread wil be reviewed by our team, agreed actions taken and if deemed appropriate re-opened with an updated set of guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ok, the thread is open on condition that this is in the common interests of soccer to discuss what happens next. Any sniping or trolling or tribalism will be met with a no questions asked removal of posting rights.

Normal totting up rules no longer apply in this thread, bans will be instant.

Following discussion with the mod team the following users are threadbanned:

brinty
    T.Hanks
    MD1990

Threadbanned users posting further in this thread will result in a permanent soccer forum ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The chief health official in Italy said there should be very little risk of COVID-19 spreading through playing football. “The contact isn’t solid enough.”

President of the Consiglio Superiore di Sanità Franco Locatelli made the comment during this evening’s press conference when asked about the football season resuming.

“I don’t think a football can represent a vehicle to spread coronavirus when there are 22 players, plus six who could come off the bench and three referees,” said Locatelli.

“You need solid contact and this doesn’t seem solid enough.”

A protocol has already been drawn up by the FIGC for how teams can resume training and eventually games, including regular testing of players and staff, keeping them in a training retreat and maintaining social distancing for the first week at least.

Training planned for May 4 but season may not be completed until August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The chief health official in Italy said there should be very little risk of COVID-19 spreading through playing football. “The contact isn’t solid enough.”

President of the Consiglio Superiore di Sanità Franco Locatelli made the comment during this evening’s press conference when asked about the football season resuming.

“I don’t think a football can represent a vehicle to spread coronavirus when there are 22 players, plus six who could come off the bench and three referees,” said Locatelli.

You need solid contact and this doesn’t seem solid enough.”

A protocol has already been drawn up by the FIGC for how teams can resume training and eventually games, including regular testing of players and staff, keeping them in a training retreat and maintaining social distancing for the first week at least.

Training planned for May 4 but season may not be completed until August.

can you give a source for that, because its seems its in contradiction of every health agency in the world.

listen to gary neville talk about that point re the testing:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11977640/nev-redknapp-doubtful-on-football8217s-returnmp4

plus the rest of the bench, the rest of the backroom, and the paramedics required to be on scene. the tv people, the manager?

can you give a source for that, because its seems its in contradiction of every health agency in the world.

listen to gary neville talk about that point re the testing:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11977640/nev-redknapp-doubtful-on-football8217s-returnmp4

plus the rest of the bench, the rest of the backroom, and the paramedics required to be on scene. the tv people, the manager?

I just copied the statement that was given this evening. None of it is my own opinion.
    Personally I wouldn't be going around bumping into people for a while yet,I don't know how footballers would be different.
    One asymptomatic player or coach would bring them back to square one by infecting others in full contact training or in games.

I just copied the statement that was given this evening. None of it is my own opinion.
    Personally I wouldn't be going around bumping into people for a while yet,I don't know how footballers would be different.
    One asymptomatic player or coach would bring them back to square one by infecting others in full contact training or in games.

its hard to find the full statement. he also said the following:

The reopening of schools in September. It is the opinion of Franco Locatelli, president of the Superior Council of Health yesterday evening host of the show ‘che tempo che fa’, aired on ‘Rai 2’: “I – said – I believe that at this moment you can make a reflection to maybe postpone the reopening of schools at the beginning of the next school year”.

there is also this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/03/italian-health-chief-resigns-over-anti-scientific-policies

where the original health minister resigned in protest.

call me a cynic, and i tried to google it; if Franco Locatelli doesn't have a financial stake in Serie A continuing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Might put an end to lads hanging out of each other at corners:D

its hard to find the full statement. he also said the following:

The reopening of schools in September. It is the opinion of Franco Locatelli, president of the Superior Council of Health yesterday evening host of the show ‘che tempo che fa’, aired on ‘Rai 2’: “I – said – I believe that at this moment you can make a reflection to maybe postpone the reopening of schools at the beginning of the next school year”.

there is also this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/03/italian-health-chief-resigns-over-anti-scientific-policies

where the original health minister resigned in protest.

call me a cynic, and i tried to google it; if Franco Locatelli doesn't have a financial stake in Serie A continuing.

It did sound like pie in the sky stuff alright, that's why I posted it.
    A bit like builders working on social housing going back to work already as they are "essential". Are they like these footballers, somehow immune to the virus that they can go ahead to work and come into contact with each other without fear of infection with covid 19 or it's spread?
    Vested interests as you say seem to be behind these motions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Thats an absolute mental quote.

Not enough contact? Just sweat and spit all over the place. Weird thinking by him.

As you said yourself pie in the sky stuff.

Have the government announced anything further in Germany? Think they're just waiting on the officia green light for May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Thats an absolute mental quote.

Not enough contact? Just sweat and spit all over the place. Weird thinking by him.

As you said yourself pie in the sky stuff.

Have the government announced anything further in Germany? Think they're just waiting on the officia green light for May?

I said the below in another thread but it’s more suited here now I believe
    We’re only fooling each other if we think they aren’t several footballers who if games returned in the current climate would not try and gain an advantage by coughing around an Opponent.

I said the below in another thread but it’s more suited here now I believe

thats an interesting one. if you do it in the supermarket you're bagged and gagged, potential jail sentence. in soccer i doubt it.

sorta the same way you can get away with assault on a pitch, be it rugby or football, or whatever sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It did sound like pie in the sky stuff alright, that's why I posted it.
    A bit like builders working on social housing going back to work already as they are "essential". Are they like these footballers, somehow immune to the virus that they can go ahead to work and come into contact with each other without fear of infection with covid 19 or it's spread?
    Vested interests as you say seem to be behind these motions.

In fairness there's an awful lot more you can do with builders on site. No tool sharing, working together only in small groups of 2 or 3 whilst still maintaining social distancing and isolation in the rest of their lives, meaning it should be far less likely for any them to get the virus to be able to spread it. Keeping these groups working far apart from each other. Also simply being able to wear masks makes a huge difference - close contact without masks = 70% chance of infection, while if both parties are wearing masks along with regular hand cleansing, chances of infection drops to 1.5%

These things will make building go slower, but it can actually start reasonably safely.

Football would be an altogether different kettle of fish. What would likely have to happen is that while the rest of the country starts to open up, footballers would have to agree to stay in total lockdown away from matches, to decrease the chances of any of them getting infected to as low as possible. Will be very interesting to see how Germany tackles it.

We’re only fooling each other if we think they aren’t several footballers who if games returned in the current climate would not try and gain an advantage by coughing around an Opponent.

Whilst they could do that, one would think that everybody would get tested before a game or camp or whatever precedes a match and be cleared of the Virus. My wife is a key worker and has had the test recently and the results are quite quick so all on the pitch and around it would know that the person coughing did not have the virus or they would not be on the pitch ion the first place I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Whilst they could do that, one would think that everybody would get tested before a game or camp or whatever precedes a match and be cleared of the Virus. My wife is a key worker and has had the test recently and the results are quite quick so all on the pitch and around it would know that the person coughing did not have the virus or they would not be on the pitch ion the first place I would have thought.
    How quickly would results have to be in order to ensure that nobody there including management, players and security would be infected in the meantime between tests?

thats an interesting one. if you do it in the supermarket you're bagged and gagged, potential jail sentence. in soccer i doubt it.

sorta the same way you can get away with assault on a pitch, be it rugby or football, or whatever sport.

Sent off and banned. Simple enough. Come down hard on the players.

• Advertisement

look at the last ~15s of that clip.

your wife, a front line worker (key), had a test recently. You're on about testing everyone involved in every match, all the time?!

your wife should get as much protection/precautions as is necessary, but soccer players (just cos? is there a better reason? money maybe). if tests are abound, then fair enough.

more like criminal proceedings. too many sports people get away with;if done in public, would be a crime.

How quickly would results have to be in order to ensure that nobody there including management, players and security would be infected in the meantime between tests?

Think its around 4 hours right now to get tests results, if they started testing right away... if tests were the same day as matches, i don't think there would be time to both get infected, and for it to have developed enough for you to be able to pass it on.
    your wife, a front line worker (key), had a test recently. You're on about testing everyone involved in every match, all the time?!

your wife should get as much protection/precautions as is necessary, but soccer players (just cos? is there a better reason? money maybe). if tests are abound, then fair enough.

Yeah, I mean, I think we have to work off the assumption that this will only be happening when the numbers of infections have significantly dropped, the testing capability has vastly increased, and the resources are actually there to test players without impacting upon the health service. 2 months or whatever from now.

Tricky one though... grand if they're hacking up a lung in someones face or something, but if someones a bit surreptitious with their bit of a cough, how do you prove he isn't just coughing?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Think its around 4 hours right now to get tests results, if they started testing right away... if tests were the same day as matches, i don't think there would be time to both get infected, and for it to have developed enough for you to be able to pass it on.

And what happens if it's a relegation decider and Grealish tests positive 1 hour before the game? Does it go ahead without him? Or does everyone go home? It sounds very wishy washy and a drain on testing resources but if they can do it in a way that gets around that then fair play.

I see your edit and you address the above :)

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Yeah, I mean, I think we have to work off the assumption that this will only be happening when the numbers of infections have significantly dropped, the testing capability has vastly increased, and the resources are actually there to test players without impacting upon the health service. 2 months or whatever from now.

Tricky one though... grand if they're hacking up a lung in someones face or something, but if someones a bit surreptitious with their bit of a cough, how do you prove he isn't just coughing?

its a 20 min vid, and is about US law, but its interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sSslPwV3Oc&t=613s

they have a full blown anti terrorism law, dealing with the spread of a biological agent, being used to prosecute people for coughing. it is deliberate coughing in someones direction, but extends to food/consumables.

the mens rea test would be used (in english football, along with their own equivalent of that law). basically if you acted with intent or not.

And what happens if it's a relegation decider and Grealish tests positive 1 hour before the game? Does it go ahead without him? Or does everyone go home? It sounds very wishy washy and a drain on testing resources but if they can do it in a way that gets around that then fair play.

I see your edit and you address the above :)

Yeah, this stuff will get awkward alright... at a total guess, I suppose they'd be kept apart that day prior to the testing process, until they get their results, so if Graelish tests positive but the others are clean, you're good to go and treat Graelish as if he caught any other virus or injury, with him being whisked off for treatment.

It's gonna be a tricky one regardless though, with a whole bunch of redundancy measures in place to keep the risk low. Will be interesting to get more detail on the German approach... I know they're training with the squad split into loads of small groups that don't interact with each other, but would love to know all the other measures they're putting in place.

Will be the same in all walks of life... I see Neighbours has started shooting again in Australia, with their cast and crew split into distinct cells, and their sound stages divided up, so if someone comes down with it in one cell, they can still shoot in the others in the meantime. Actors kept apart from crew entirely, and they're writing and shooting their scenes so they don't ever come within 5 or 6 feet of each other - between camera blocking and forced perspective. Interesting stuff.

• Advertisement

And what happens if it's a relegation decider and Grealish tests positive 1 hour before the game? )

It's an injury, just like pulling a muscle in the warm up

look at the last ~15s of that clip.

Every key worker and their household have access to book and take a free test from tomorrow if they haven’t already. I cannot imagine it will be all that long before people who can pay for them can get them, and with apparently 100k test per day by end of the month and Hancock confirming that target is still on track, by end of May that would see quite a few people tested and the facility to test increasing.

It's an injury, just like pulling a muscle in the warm up

I don't think it's anything like pulling a muscle in the warm up unless you know of a pulled muscle that could affect everyone else on the team who've been sitting in the dressing room with him the last couple of hours and then the entire other team.

What if the entire squad comes up infected?

I don't think it's anything like pulling a muscle in the warm up unless you know of a pulled muscle that could affect everyone else on the team who've been sitting in the dressing room with him the last couple of hours and then the entire other team.

What if the entire squad comes up infected?

Is there really a point in all this? There'll be a what if for everything.
    Football will be back at some stage. I'll defer to the doctors involved to make the decision when and I'll just go along with it by watching .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Not sure of the mechanism of transfer can the virus be spread though sweat?

If coughing or exhalation is the only transfer method how feasible would it be for players to wear a mask, might slow the pace of a game certainly toward the end of course, I wear them at work quite often and don't find them uncomfortable - but then I am not running around for 90 minutes in fairness.

• Advertisement

Not sure of the mechanism of transfer can the virus be spread though sweat?

If coughing or exhalation is the only transfer method how feasible would it be for players to wear a mask, might slow the pace of a game certainly toward the end of course, I wear them at work quite often and don't find them uncomfortable - but then I am not running around for 90 minutes in fairness.

You can catch it through fluid transfer, that's why medical professionals say not to touch your face,it can enter the body through the mouth,nose and eyes.
    Sweat is a fluid ergo you'd have to think that the virus would happily survive in it. The damn thing can live on everyday surfaces for days on end.

Stopped being lazy and looked it up myself. As I thought it is not transferred by sweat according to Johns Hopkins University who tend to be up on these things, so when testing is up to speed (and health workers come first followed by police / security services of course) players with suitable masks may be an option.

They can play with casts, magic masks and scrum caps so why not a mask? Not ideal but a possibility I think, the masks would have great marketing potential in Asia also.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-frequently-asked-questions

My wife is a nurse and I was chatting to her about it the other night.

She reckons you would need to be testing (and doing a full test) 36 hours before a game to have a proper result. The 'quick' tests that are done that she has seen would only have accurate positive results, there would be cases where they don't pick up a positive case, so i negative result isn't proof you're good.

She reckons the best way of handling it would be tests 36 hours before the game, and then also the quicker result test the day of the game.

But she also reckons it isn't practical for football to return as the incubation period is too high, tests taking too long (for a completely accurate result) and too much sweat/contact etc.

You are looking at up to 600 tests per match - (200 staff per match, 3 tests prior). So 55,000 tests just to complete the league matches. The clubs would need to be able to source and conduct the tests themselves, without taking away from any testing the NHS is looking to do (even taking into account that there should be less stress on the NHS when football is allowed to return)

EDIT: And while saying my wife is a nurse I'm not claiming she is an expert on all of this, just that she would have a much better understanding of testing and results that I would (and how to make a bed)

Indeed testing is the key and we are not there yet.

If we had something like the drink driving test for Covid there possibly would never have been a lockdown in the first place.

Stopped being lazy and looked it up myself. As I thought it is not transferred by sweat according to Johns Hopkins University who tend to be up on these things, so when testing is up to speed (and health workers come first followed by police / security services of course) players with suitable masks may be an option.

They can play with casts, magic masks and scrum caps so why not a mask? Not ideal but a possibility I think, the masks would have great marketing potential in Asia also.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-frequently-asked-questions

I'm entirely unconvinced by their view on sweat.

I understnd sweat itself wouldn't be an issue in isolation (you don't sweat out the virus) - but if a player had microbes on their body already, or wiped their face etc, sweat would transmit it as well as any other material or object.

I just don't understand how sweat couldn't be a issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just inject all the players with disinfectant, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If football returns footballers will get it. Footballers will get it even if football doesnt return. If we move from the current stage we are at to opening up more industries including football its because the numbers in hospitals have subsided and they are confident that the hospitals can deal with cases. The virus is going to still be here and people are going to continue getting it. There are lots of other really negative things that will happen if we continue as we are till a vaccine is found. So its a balancing act weighing up the pros and cons of both sides and making sure our hospitals arent overwhelmed. If they deem football can return we will have to accept a footballer will get it obviously a certain number of the same team they would have to then have the option to cancel. If they open up schools and one teacher or one student gets it would they then close down the school or the same for a building site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

RasTa wrote: »
    Just inject all the players with disinfectant, job done.

let them dope.

Im an advocate for that in sport. There is a good % doping already, just their pharmacist is a few years ahead of the testing. Thats why blood samples are frozen now, so you can retrospectively test.

My view, lets see how fast they can run/cycle/etc. Entertaining at the very least (imagine a 5s 100m); possibly in their pursuit of glory they might discover a cure to something.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement