Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Don't worry, the greed in the Premier League will ensure they finish the season somehow.

For almost 30 years now people have been railing against the evil premier league, the evil owners, the evil TV companies that have ruined the game.

Well celebrate, because your day has come.

The top level professional game as we know it is f**ked.

We all knew it was a bubble but did not know how it was going to burst.

You are going to see all the money just drain from the game.

Clubs can no longer afford to buy and pay players and the prices they were because they have no revenue coming in.

TV companies cannot pay the huge money for rights because their subscription base will have collapsed due to the overall economic depression.

Behind closed doors is a fantasy.

It's dead folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

UFC going ahead on May 9th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

FitzShane wrote: »
    It's not about Liverpool - that's literally the easiest decision to make in European football.

The decision is centred around promotion and relegation. Why should Norwich , Villa, Bournemouth & West Ham etc be rewarded with another season in the PL when they don't deserve it? They'll get another 100m in the bank and will drive another wedge into the gap between the PL and the rest of the leagues, who's clubs will be worse off for this.

Why should Leeds & WBA not be promoted again this season after putting the work in for multiple seasons. They have pumped big money into getting promoted this season too. This is the last year of WBA getting parachute payments and so have spent accordingly to get them into the PL. They have spent big getting in Slaven Bilic as manager and Leeds have done the same getting in Bielsa, both in the expectation that they gain promotion.

Talk within UEFA seems to be to award final positions based on "sporting merit" if the season can't be completed - this likely means 'points per game'. It works out ok for Utd as they'd finish in 5th which is likely to be good enough for CL next season considering City's ban. Bournemouth would join Villa and Norwich in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Behind a paywall so I can't see it, but the Premier League are planning to restart, once they get government green light.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-plan-for-project-restart-in-bid-to-resume-season-kt8lzzvqx#Echobox=1587749826

You couldn't do relegation in that manner, same points as West Ham and Watford

RasTa wrote: »
    You couldn't do relegation in that manner, same points as West Ham and Watford

Bournemouth have a worse GD apparently. Though it might be fairer just to relegate 2 and have only 2 come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Bournemouth have a worse GD apparently. Though it might be fairer just to relegate 2 and have only 2 come up.

Thats a good shout that cos the playoffs will be a lot harder to sort out to find the third promoted team.

.G. wrote: »
    Thats a good shout that cos the playoffs will be a lot harder to sort out to find the third promoted team.

I think so. You shouldn't be relegating a team on GD before the season has been completed, imo. And it's not like the team in 3rd feel like promotion was theirs. Any club in the 3rd to 6th spots would have had a chance to be promoted but nothing concrete enough to feel they've been robbed.

No chance, they are all on the same points and only 2 goals separate the trio with a possible 27 points to play for

• Advertisement

Behind a paywall so I can't see it, but the Premier League are planning to restart, once they get government green light.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-plan-for-project-restart-in-bid-to-resume-season-kt8lzzvqx#Echobox=1587749826

I'm planning on having a birthday party in the function room of a local pub with just close family and friends.

Once I get government green light.

I think so. You shouldn't be relegating a team on GD before the season has been completed, imo. And it's not like the team in 3rd feel like promotion was theirs. Any club in the 3rd to 6th spots would have had a chance to be promoted but nothing concrete enough to feel they've been robbed.

Yeah I agree. There's too many games left to call that one definitively. FC Utrecht have started legal proceedings in the Netherlands which goes to show any outcome will have its issues.

I'm planning on having a birthday party in the function room of a local pub with just close family and friends.

Once I get government green light.

Good for you. You can to the pub with that Osama bin dipper lad who oddly enough had the exact same reply to me when I posted about the Bundesliga planning on starting their league again once the government allowed it.

I want to return to my family too whenever that is able to happen and even in the future the pub too. But this thread is for football, which I also would like to see return, hence why I posted about football returning in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fairer for who? Certainly not the teams in the play off places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RasTa wrote: »
    UFC going ahead on May 9th

Each EPL team should nominate a player to take part in it. One round fights and the title and relegation could be awarded on the outcome of the bouts.

Chelsea have said that players won't be asked to contribute towards the club financially (pay cut) but will be asked to donate to charities.

Each EPL team should nominate a player to take part in it. One round fights and the title and relegation could be awarded on the outcome of the bouts.

Can Everton register Big Dunc as a player ?

Don’t know how far behind they are but I’d still make them title favourites.

The only outcome that will be fair on everyone is waiting until such time as games can be played and then playing them. It might be very late this year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Suddenly Troy Deeney is a problem. I don't know why he sprung to mind but if I was in a UFC match I wouldn't want him facing me.
    probably VVD from our lot because he's great at everything.

• Advertisement

Fairer for who? Certainly not the teams in the play off places.

I think it would be fairer not to relegate Bournemouth on GD than promote one of the teams in the play-off position, yes. I didn't say it was fair though! The least worst option, imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Don't worry, the greed in the Premier League will ensure they finish the season somehow.

What is the urgency to decide to end the season and move onto the next one?

Football will be coming back at some stage and the way you do it is to play on from where you were.

Football is not coming back better off or less greedy or earlier because it restarts with a new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Suddenly Troy Deeney is a problem. I don't know why he sprung to mind but if I was in a UFC match I wouldn't want him facing me.
    probably VVD from our lot because he's great at everything.

Ha, unfortunately he was a bit of a problem for us on the pitch not so long ago too.

Good for you. You can to the pub with that Osama bin dipper lad who oddly enough had the exact same reply to me when I posted about the Bundesliga planning on starting their league again once the government allowed it.

I want to return to my family too whenever that is able to happen and even in the future the pub too. But this thread is for football, which I also would like to see return, hence why I posted about football returning in the Premier League.

The so called news about the EPL coming back pending a government green light is not actually worth anything.

Because no matter what the EPL say it's all depends on them convincing the government that the measures they are taking are safe with regards to public health and not impacting the health services etc.

So while things like behind closed doors, players being tested regularly, masks etc are all good measures in their own way, doing it on an industrial level, which a return to football is, is not that simple.

Sometimes I think sporting organizations just put out these statements just to appease fans, clubs, business partners etc, knowing full well that the logistics are huge and expensive and that the real battle is convincing the government that it can be done and done safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Welp, there goes Arsenal's streak in the top flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Welp, there goes Arsenal's streak in the top flight.

Maybe this was the plan behind signing Luiz all along. I’d say he could do some of damage with a bit of limb-flailing capoeira!

• Advertisement

The so called news about the EPL coming back pending a government green light is not actually worth anything

Well it's a lot different to the Premier League saying that they want to finish up the league, irrespective of what the government directive is. So I think it is somewhat worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Well it's a lot different to the Premier League saying that they want to finish up the league, irrespective of what the government directive is. So I think it is somewhat worth listening to.

When did they say they intent to go against government directive. Surely that's not allowed! Can't see it happening myself.

The PL and relative associations have to release some sort of statement every so often just to be seen to be putting plans in place.
    They keep them completely non-committal and its just a press release for the sake of a press release.

They could just as easily say..... No Change, chat next week!

When did they say they intent to go against government directive. Surely that's not allowed! Can't see it happening myself.

The PL and relative associations have to release some sort of statement every so often just to be seen to be putting plans in place.
    They keep them completely non-committal and its just a press release for the sake of a press release.

They could just as easily say..... No Change, chat next week!

Every statement from footballing bodies around the world have the caveat that it's up to the government. If leagues are void then those bodies can say at least we tried every possible avenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Maybe this was the plan behind signing Luiz all along. I’d say he could do some of damage with a bit of limb-flailing capoeira!

Liverpool should put Firmino in the ring (octagon) . He's be like that little triad guy in the simpsons when its all kicking off in the garden. People would know what to do but theyd be waiting for him to just go nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea fail to reach agreement with players in ongoing wage reduction talks

Club reject offer put forward by captain César Azpilicueta
    Azpilicueta negotiating as Frank Lampard sits out
    Chelsea have still not reached an agreement with their first team players over pay cuts after rejecting a proposal put forward by the club captain César Azpilicueta.

The club insists negotiations are both amicable and continuing, but after originally asking players to take the 30% cut suggested by the Premier League during the coronavirus crisis, Chelsea are unwilling to approve what the players have offered, which is believed to be less than the 10% figure that has been reported.

Arsenal recently agreed a 12.5% cut that was subject to performance incentives, whereas Chelsea players were apparently willing to take an unconditional reduction in wages for the next four months, but the Stamford Bridge dressing room and board have been unable to agree on a precise figure.

Frank Lampard has not been involved in discussions about possible pay cuts, with the head coach preferring not to take sides between players and club management, but after “extensive talks” between Azpilicueta and the Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia, the situation remains unresolved.

Chelsea’s impasse is in stark contrast to Aston Villa whose first-team coaches and senior management have agreed to defer 25% of their salaries for four months........

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/25/chelsea-first-team-players-coronavirus-wage-cut-talks-cesar-azpilicueta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Chelsea have said that players won't be asked to contribute towards the club financially (pay cut) but will be asked to donate to charities.

Do you have a link for this as the post above seems to say different.

Do you have a link for this as the post above seems to say different.

It was Sky who had the story,it was also on the sport news on the radio today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Was looking at the news earlier.

20,000+ dead in the UK so far and that's just hospital deaths, a lot more in nursing homes etc.

They were saying that the frontline staff can't be tested due to lack of test kits.

Football are getting 50,000 test kits so they can resume football.

That's just not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Twenty thousand people dead and they still push on with this league finish nonsense

It's obscene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

20k dead and if they figures of deaths in nursing homes is anything similar to here then it could be another 8-10k .
    I think its 45% of the deaths here have been from nursing homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Twenty thousand people dead and they still push on with this league finish nonsense

It's obscene

Nobody is pushing for it right away, all saying when it is safe to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

It's obscene

That’s what the league was saying last week. This week it’s finish if the government agrees. It’s passing the blame, like holland did, so when the government says no sport until X the league can say “we done everything in our power to complete it”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

dfx- wrote: »
    What is the urgency to decide to end the season and move onto the next one?

Football will be coming back at some stage and the way you do it is to play on from where you were.

Football is not coming back better off or less greedy or earlier because it restarts with a new season.

At some stage, you have to accept that the season was already over for a solid half of the league. Teams secure in mid table but with little chance of pushing into Europe spaces will have very little need or desire to finish the season. If they make it no one can be relegated, that’s another third of the teams who will happily move on to the next.

The remaining games will probably only have any impact on about five or six teams. A few of whom seem to be doing well in different circumstances being discussed (for example, a good few of the scenarios see United get CL football f the season is ended. City are unlikely to win the league and are out of Europe next season anyway. Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal achieve different levels of satisfaction depending on solutions on offer).

So....who is really motivated to finish the season to the detriment of the next one? Very few teams, if we are honest.

So why would most teams WANT to finish a season they can’t really get much more out of. The majority will probably want nothing to impact the next season if possible, because then every team is back playing for something. It’s not an “urgency” to end this season. It’s the desire to actually progress into planning for a season they can have something to play for.

Anything to be said for the 4 teams with games in hand to play those 2 games (behind closed doors, of course, when safe to do so), and then call the league table as is? The Sheff. Utd vs Villa game would be absolutely massive!

At this stage though, wouldn't care if the league is just shut down. Liverpool wouldn't have the opportunity to break the points record but the title would be fine. Fire a million asterik's at it - couldn't care less :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

We can't be pointing fingers at the UK when there are ques a mile long out side Supermac drive thru's up and down the country this weekend as soon as they announced they were reopening if people in this country call going to Supernmacs essential travel that is obscene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We can't be pointing fingers at the UK when there are ques a mile long out side Supermac drive thru's up and down the country this weekend as soon as they announced they were reopening if people in this country call going to Supernmacs essential travel that is obscene.

In fairness a drive thru is about as safe as it can get in term of social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

The greed of football in England is shining through, get the league finished so they can claim their tv money, no mention of finishing the FA cup, because the money is not there, 100's of people dying everyday in England yet they are desperate to finish a league season, I hope this pandemic is the death of football, the greed and selfishness is sickening..........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At this stage though, wouldn't care if the league is just shut down. Liverpool wouldn't have the opportunity to break the points record but the title would be fine. Fire a million asterik's at it - couldn't care less :)

Thats the spirit! I know if we could get our first title in seven years, I wouldn't care about it. And it's obviously been four times longer for you lot. That's a way healthier attitude than some I've seen online.

Was looking at the news earlier.

20,000+ dead in the UK so far and that's just hospital deaths, a lot more in nursing homes etc.

They were saying that the frontline staff can't be tested due to lack of test kits.

Football are getting 50,000 test kits so they can resume football.

That's just not right.

If football teams can obtain 50,000 kits, then why the hell cant the UK government get 50k kits. Why blame football for the uk government not being able to provide basic supplies to the NHS.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    The greed of football in England is shining through, get the league finished so they can claim their tv money, no mention of finishing the FA cup, because the money is not there, 100's of people dying everyday in England yet they are desperate to finish a league season, I hope this pandemic is the death of football, the greed and selfishness is sickening..........

There a business, what do you expect. Everyone forgets the astronomical taxes footballers and football clubs pay. Why is everyone so quick to knock football.

niallo27 wrote: »
    There a business, what do you expect. Everyone forgets the astronomical taxes footballers and football clubs pay. Why is everyone so quick to knock football.

Sure open all the hotels,the resorts,concerts and festivals,everything. They are all businesses too why pick and choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

then they should be treated like every other business, if it is not safe to reopen, like ( pubs, cinemas, restaurants ) then they should remain closed till those other places can open, football thinks it is above every other business, it is about time it was put in its place....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

If football teams can obtain 50,000 kits, then why the hell cant the UK government get 50k kits. Why blame football for the uk government not being able to provide basic supplies to the NHS.

There's a pandemic, PPE and the materials for the tests are in short supply.

If the Premier League can get their hands on 50,000 test kits, do you think they'd be better off donating them to the people who are caring for those that are dying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ziggyman17 wrote: »

Jasus more drama in that post than a cheesey soap opera.

I love football. Hope it survives and is back asap. Times like this when you can reflect, make you realize why its called the beautiful game.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
      Thats the spirit! I know if we could get our first title in seven years, I wouldn't care about it. And it's obviously been four times longer for you lot. That's a way healthier attitude than some I've seen online.

Honestly, the way things are going it's just looking a little less likely every day that the league will finish.

From a Liverpool point of view, the difference between voiding and abandoning the league with results standing, is massive. If the league is voided, I don't think the squad could come back from two seasons of relentless point-gathering, only for no league titles to show for it - it would be absolutely devastating. However, if the title was to be awarded now, there would be a desire among the players to go again next season to win it on the pitch, dare I say "properly", and all that that entails... trophy lift, parade etc. It could be galvanising.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement