Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

niallo27 wrote: »
    The whole thing is ****ed anyway, dates and contracts will all be up in the air.

Em, no. Contracts will be what they say on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

But can they.
    If it has already been agreed that the new window to transfer/register players starts on the 1st July and Chelsea have already a contractual obligation to sign on a player on this date should/can they be stopped.

Personally I see it getting very messy if the season isn't over/called by the end of June.
    No disputing its messy. Is it messier than ending a 75% completed season I would say no. Its exceptional times it wouldnt be very sporting for any team to have any complaints about not being able to use a player that they werent due to have till the 20/21 season. Willian one of the players in question has already said he will play on with Chelsea after his contract expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No disputing its messy. Is it messier than ending a 75% completed season I would say no. Its exceptional times it wouldnt be very sporting for any team to have any complaints about not being able to use a player that they werent due to have till the 20/21 season. Willian one of the players in question has already said he will play on with Chelsea after his contract expires.

And what if Chelsea don't want to pay his large wages and would prefer to have Ziyech? Given they'll likely have to pay him too?

Is it not something that could be sorted out on a case by case basis?

Surely this is something that can be worked out, and isn't a show stopper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Moise Kean entertaining his friends with lap dancers at a private party during the lockdown.

Everton have registered their disgust, but he cost €25m.

They can't exactly cancel his contract and throw away €25m.

One of the biggest flops of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Take the case of Dean Henderson.
    He's on loan at Sheffield United until the 31.05.2020.
    Would it be in the interest's of Man Utd to extend his loan of call him back.
    (info from transfermarket.co.uk)

That's just one example, I'm sure there are many more which will cause trouble come the 1st June or July.

With Man Utd being such a good club I'd say they will extend the loan but they don't have to is the point.

Liam O wrote: »
    And what if Chelsea don't want to pay his large wages and would prefer to have Ziyech? Given they'll likely have to pay him too?

Well I dont think they can expect to be able to play Ziyech and Id imagine Uefa/PL would say that. If a club wants to release a player on Jun 30th thats their choice again I think that would be in bad faith. Its a two way thing you would expect a player to see out the season and for the PL the club to pay that player. Its an issue but a minor issue compared to actually ending the league early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That's just one example, I'm sure there are many more which will cause trouble come the 1st June or July.

With Man Utd being such a good club I'd say they will extend the loan but they don't have to is the point.

I think the only way around half the scenarios being mentioned is to delay the opening of the registration window, meaning lots of players/teams will have the option to avoid the delay, but it probably won’t be in their interest to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

City lose David Silva and both back up keepers as well on June 30th.

If the keepers are let go and Ederson gets injured for the remaining games who goes in goal a 16 year old?

Or will City offer them huge shiny new contracts to stay.

• Advertisement

Again if thats something that Utd want to do they can. However I think its unlikely they would . Worst case scenario they do that is it fairer to continue with the league in that instance or scrap the season because of a few issues like that ,that may never even arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd say we would. Personally would like Henderson going in as number 1 next season but Ole seems to want to go with DDG again, giving Henderson another loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liam O wrote: »
    Em, no. Contracts will be what they say on them.

Well the season must finish so, the tv companies all have contracts with the premier league for x amount of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Thought we were gonna make it through the day without this being mentioned again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Thought we were gonna make it through the day without this being mentioned again :D

Has Henderson's loan deal been mentioned much?

Just trying to figure out your issue with my post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Clubs can already sign players in the middle of a season, its called the January window. Signing players this summer would be no different. And for how many decades before a window was ever introduced where teams able to buy players mid season to boost their chances of achieving their objectives? It didn't make those seasons unfair.

I think the idea of a "window" might be ended for a while until things get back to normal but far more likely is that clubs will reign back on spending cos they won't have the money to do what they had planned to do and out of contract players won't be in a rush to leave if there's nowhere to go either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Well the season must finish so, the tv companies all have contracts with the premier league for x amount of games.

They have contracts with Premier league for x amount of games before x date..

Sky TV won't want this dragging on into September or October with no games been played and they after paying money and still money to pay.

I hope season gets back and football gets played but listening to them on talksport today even talking about Germany and Spain plans the amount of details that have to still be planned put is frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

258 players past & present have contacted PFA for mental health support in the two weeks since a welfare survey went out - that’s almost 40% of figure for entirety of 2019. 12 current players in PL, Champ, L1, L2 & WSL sought help for depression/addiction

https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/1254310162162233344?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Which they are prepared to let go. This has been pointed out too you several times before in this thread.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8211063/amp/Sky-Sports-not-ask-371m-rebate-Premier-League-season-cancelled.html

Which they are prepared to let go. This has been pointed out too you several times before in this thread.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8211063/amp/Sky-Sports-not-ask-371m-rebate-Premier-League-season-cancelled.html

To me, first I have heard of it. Last line says they hope they will only have to pay 150 million.

Have Sky and BT officially waved nearly 400m? Seen it mentioned before, but wondering if is it actually official. That would definitely surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

6 wrote: »
    Have Sky and BT officially waved nearly 400m? Seen it mentioned before, but wondering if is it actually official. That would definitely surprise me.

Why would they make an official announcement?

Everyone in football is still on the same page that this season finishes,no point making an announcement on waiving the money until that changes.

yabadabado wrote: »

Everyone in football is still on the same page that this season finishes,no point making an announcement on waiving the money until that changes.

Which is my point that contracts and timelines are all up in the air.

Which is my point that contracts and timelines are all up in the air.

What is your point ?

None of us here are privy to what the sky/bt deal is and id expect it to be a lot different to player contracts.

yabadabado wrote: »

For their shareholders for one. 400m isn't small money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

City lose David Silva and both back up keepers as well on June 30th.

If the keepers are let go and Ederson gets injured for the remaining games who goes in goal a 16 year old?

Or will City offer them huge shiny new contracts to stay.

They were in that position either way bar the games being on. Presumably they have plans to sign a keeper or 2 and by then may well have one coming in.

Or they could just offer one of them a short term deal if they dont have anywhere to go. Players are not going to disappear in to thin air come June 30th.

Clubs can and will sort this stuff out if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some tentative reports that Serie A teams will return to team training on May 18th.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Some tentative reports that Serie A teams will return to team training on May 18th.

Good stuff. They need some positive news in that country.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1254489970972262400?s=19

EDIT: seems as if the prime minister has given the team training to go ahead.

6 wrote: »
    For their shareholders for one. 400m isn't small money.

I'm sure it has been discussed at board level but they are hardly going to make an official announcement when by all accounts everyone involved is saying this season will be played out at some stage.

Isn't the EPL deal worth about 3 billion per season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

seems so accroding to this
    https://twitter.com/MKWilliamsRome/status/1254486320401047552

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thats good to see. Hopefully it works out there now.

Presume Ireland will do nothing similar within next month at some point.

Plans stepped up for a possible restart of the PL in June. UK gov in favour for ‘morale’ reasons. Remaining games may be played at a number of ‘approved’ neutral venues.

https://twitter.com/anfieldedition/status/1254518510513946624?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I can't see clubs agreeing to neutral venues. Even with an empty stadium they will still want to play their home games at home,not at an approved venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I can't see clubs agreeing to neutral venues. Even with an empty stadium they will still want to play their home games at home,not at an approved venue.

It all depends really on the options available I guess... like, if it's neutral venues or nothing, they may well be ok with neutral venues. They're gonna have to be pragmatic about the logistics of it all... whatever makes this thing easier to make happen kind of has to be what they pursue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It all depends really on the options available I guess... like, if it's neutral venues or nothing, they may well be ok with neutral venues. They're gonna have to be pragmatic about the logistics of it all... whatever makes this thing easier to make happen kind of has to be what they pursue.

It really takes away from the whole thing tho, a weak regulation team at home is way different to playing away, but if there going to be no fans then sure why not I suppose .

Id like something to watch but this could be dull to say the least, saying that Im going to watch it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm sure they would but I'd also imagine it's better than nothing for them and there'll be in understanding that everything will be eased back.

Since all teams are in the same boat there shouldn't be any disadvantage.

I hope they're creative about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Given the circumstances. Im sure most will just accept and play. Especially with so much TV money at stake. Their professional players they need to get back playing. 6-10 months without training/games could end some players careers

There were complaints in here about playing games in clubs home grounds because of fears that thousands would congregate around the stadium before, during and after games. There was even some posts talking about "riots".

Playing games in a neutral venue negates this threat.

So which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There were complaints in here about playing games in clubs home grounds because of fears that thousands would congregate around the stadium before, during and after games. There was even some posts talking about "riots".

Playing games in a neutral venue negates this threat.

So which is it?

1. There are many different people here.
    2. Different people have posted different opinions.
    3. Not one single view has been [ut forward on any subject so....

Why The Eff are you infering that there is some giant hypocrisy here.

Also...

1. Clubs will want to be playing at home for various reasons - advertising as much as anything else I would think.
    2. Playing games at home comes have certain practicalities to over come (such as policing of Behind Closed Doors)
    3. Playing at a neutral venue solves some issues but has some draw backs.
    4. These are not incompatible points or views.

Absolutely fed up with people trying to score some internet points with rediculous black/white arguments. Its pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Looks like there is a provisional plan now at least, I’m glad the PL’s claim that they could get the league finished within 30 days has been dropped, it was just nonsense talk.

I think we are still 4 weeks away from any concrete decision, mid June really is a best case scenario and I think that will change.

Hopefully the UK have gotten their **** together and a month will see vast improvement on numbers, deaths will need to be way down.

1. There are many different people here.
    2. Different people have posted different opinions.
    3. Not one single view has been [ut forward on any subject so....

Why The Eff are you infering that there is some giant hypocrisy here.

Also...

1. Clubs will want to be playing at home for various reasons - advertising as much as anything else I would think.
    2. Playing games at home comes have certain practicalities to over come (such as policing of Behind Closed Doors)
    3. Playing at a neutral venue solves some issues but has some draw backs.
    4. These are not incompatible points or views.

Absolutely fed up with people trying to score some internet points with rediculous black/white arguments. Its pathetic.

Not trying to point score at all, but it's gotten to the point (IMO) that every single idea put forward in this thread to get football back is being shot down instantly.

1) It started off with the idea that all football should be voided and act as if the season never happened.

2) When football was proposed to be starting back in the Bundesliga, it was just me with either sarcastic replies or how it will never work in the UK. We were met with a hoard of posts about the UK death numbers. 'The peak won't come for weeks away', 'people are dying' etc.

3) When football in the UK was proposed to return, when it would be safe to do so, and players are regularly tested, all the other replies was that football cannot return because the PL will be taking tests and using them when the NHS needs them instead.

4) Likewise, when PL football was mooted to return behind closed doors, the next flaw was the number of ambulances and medical personnel needed at each ground. It would obviously be smaller as there would be no crowds in attendance and the majority of ambulances needed are for crowds but again behind closed doors football was shot down as that one ambulance needed for a player for games would be needed urgently in the general public.

5) Then, there was a lot of talk about crowds congregating outside stadiums for all these games behind closed doors and how this would be serious strain on police force having to stop people travelling to the areas around the stadium, and travelling to closed pubs.

6) There was also objection to playing games behind closed doors as games should not take place without fans being present.

7) There is plenty talk around what will happen regarding player contracts and transfer windows. There was also objection to the league games being played after June as it would impact and 'ruin' next season. As if next season was just going to magically kick off ok as normal in August if we did not play this season.

8) and now the idea that games take place behind closed doors, in neutral venues to help combat the threat of fans congregating outside their club's stadium and this is also being shot down.

9) The same as the idea of playing games in St. George's Park - a facility that was neutral for all, had all the facilities to run multiple games at once and in a safe and secure location with no threat of groups congregating. Also a lower number of match day staff required. The number of match day staff required was ironically also a sticking point to why football should not return.

Now some of these are genuine and can actually have a decent conversation and debate but to me, it seems like some posters are just trying to create negative aspects to football returning and will shoot down every positive solution or poke holes in everything in order to help combat the return of football. Things are bad enough these days with the negativity so having sport to look forward to, for a number of a reasons, should be a positive. Sport returning would be a light of the end of the tunnel - a show that the world is somewhat returning to normal again. But there is a constant negative vibe in here. 'We can't do that', 'that won't work' etc etc.

I can see the objections to playing games in neutral venues alright myself. I would prefer if clubs could use their own home stadium for home games. But if neutral games have to be used, then hopefully an agreement between clubs can be used to have pitches/stadiums etc as close to their original home ground. For example Villa Park / Goodison / Anfield are very closely aligned in terms of pitch diameters and pitch surface so an agreement could be in place for those clubs to use each others stadiums as their 'neutral' home ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any idea what the neutral ground idea is based on?

I'm guessing that the out-of-town grounds like Brighton, Southampton, Leicester, Man City may be considered OK whereas the city centre grounds (Liverpoolx2, Central London) might be more problematic, for sealing off purposes.

But maybe it's something different.

Any idea what the neutral ground idea is based on?

I'm guessing that the out-of-town grounds like Brighton, Southampton, Leicester, Man City may be considered OK whereas the city centre grounds (Liverpoolx2, Central London) might be more problematic, for sealing off purposes.

But maybe it's something different.

Using nuetral grounds means you use less grounds. Less overall staff needed, less overall police etc needed. Higher concentration of resources, more control over variables.

Soccer returning would be a great morale boost.

If it's safe to do so on June 8th then I don't see why anyone would want to object. That would be a good thing.

8-10 wrote: »
    Soccer returning would be a great morale boost.

If it's safe to do so on June 8th then I don't see why anyone would want to object. That would be a good thing.

My concern is that football will be pushed out the door as a morale boost - when its maybe a month away from being ready for it (nationally).

Its no way the same thing, but I think back to United going to Brazil (and forever killing the FA Cup) at the behest of the government for the WC bid.

I can see the government allowing and encouraging football to go ahead, and then letting football take any flack for it.

"Man United came from behind to beat XXX, meanwhile 554 people are reported to have died today from Covid-19".

Saw an article yesterday bemoaning Premierhsip clubs leaving St. John's Ambulance to suffer 1.4million a week losses while they battle on the front lines with the NHS.

That was the headline.

In the article they state St.John's ambulance get 29k a week from the PL during the season. 29k vs a 1.4million.... the obvious issue is the government isn't paying them for the work they are doing. Obvious who the problem are. But nope, its football they target.

And regardless of the government position, Football will take all of the blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw on Sky an idea put forward to have double headers with the women's games being played before or after the men's games if they are behind closed doors.

My concern is that football will be pushed out the door as a morale boost - when its maybe a month away from being ready for it (nationally).

Which is exactly the timeframe they're talking about - June 8th is over a month away - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/how-premier-league-plans-to-be-back-in-action-by-june-8-with-project-restart-fnn7990fk

Project Restart
    • Approved stadia only
    • Max of 400 in attendance - rigorously tested
    • Half of the games televised
    • July 27th deadline to complete

8-10 wrote: »
    Which is exactly the timeframe they're talking about - June 8th is over a month away - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/how-premier-league-plans-to-be-back-in-action-by-june-8-with-project-restart-fnn7990fk

Project Restart
    • Approved stadia only
    • Max of 400 in attendance - rigorously tested
    • Half of the games televised
    • July 27th deadline to complete

By month away I mean that football comes back on June 8th (for example) when July 8th is a more realistic date (arbitrary dates from my perspective, just to illustrate my point).

I don't know what a realistic time frame is for Football and the UK - i'm just saying I'd have a worry that football will be pushed out there for, essentially, PR reasons for the government, and if it backfires it will be football that takes the flack for it.

By month away I mean that football comes back on June 8th (for example) when July 8th is a more realistic date (arbitrary dates from my perspective, just to illustrate my point).

I don't know what a realistic time frame is for Football and the UK - i'm just saying I'd have a worry that football will be pushed out there for, essentially, PR reasons for the government, and if it backfires it will be football that takes the flack for it.

Apologies took up your timeframe wrong.

I think it's a fair worry, especially if they are hell bent on Aug 22nd being the start of the new season.

I think it's fair to have a plan for June 8th at this point but yeah I think we all hope that if that turns out not to be realistic closer to the time that it gets sensibly reevaluated and the PR doesn't play a part in the decision making

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

It really takes away from the whole thing tho, a weak regulation team at home is way different to playing away, but if there going to be no fans then sure why not I suppose .

Id like something to watch but this could be dull to say the least, saying that Im going to watch it .

It will be very dull wherever they are played, feck all left to play for.
    Saying that I will also be watching!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement