Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ah not really in fairness though... if it were as simple as that they simply wouldn't even be discussing bringing it back. They'll have tonnes of redundancies built into it i'm sure to mitigate against spread. I'd say the only time a whole squad will be together is on match day, which they'll doubtless be tested before anyway. I'd say at worst you lose a cell of players, probably no more than 3 or 4, and thats only if it spreads through all of them. Think training in general will be vastly different to what they used to do.

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1254719195683717120

Thats where I read it. So many unknowns though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There must be a happy medium between the normal polished production unit, and the terribleness that is TG4's production values for a GAA league match. Or some poor TV3 sod doing a completely uninformative commentary from a studio.

Something in between maybe, cause honestly the TV3/TG4 examples given are a bad scenario.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Normality as we know it has changed completely now. Getting football back behind closed doors and finishing the season would be great, as long as it's safe obviously. But going foward to next season they will somehow have to start allowing fans to games in some manner. In a couple of months time, if there isn't a second wave, things should be a lot clearer. If a second wave comes we would be back to square one again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There must be a happy medium between the normal polished production unit, and the terribleness that is TG4's production values for a GAA league match. Or some poor TV3 sod doing a completely uninformative commentary from a studio.

Something in between maybe, cause honestly the TV3/TG4 examples given are a bad scenario.

Probably comes down to the money put into them. TG4 have fantastic coverage of a serious amount of games. The quality of production could do with improvement, yes, but without them, these games would not even be covered, which would be a far worse scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wouldn't read too much into what the Italian Minister for Sport says.
    Its generally a low position, probably not in the top 20 ministerial posts and with no power to actually make those kind of decisions.
    Bit like if Shane Ross says something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If italy are going to shut down if one player tests positive they are wasting their time restarting as its inevitable that players will test positive. Are Italy planning on applying that rule to every business they allow open up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Normality as we know it has changed completely now. Getting football back behind closed doors and finishing the season would be great, as long as it's safe obviously. But going foward to next season they will somehow have to start allowing fans to games in some manner. In a couple of months time, if there isn't a second wave, things should be a lot clearer. If a second wave comes we would be back to square one again.

Unlikely crowds will be allowed until 2022/23 at the earliest. Without a vaccine big crowds congregating will be a public health disaster and no govt will take that risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

What's this second wave about ?

I dont think there will be 50,000 at games, but surely there could be 10,000 spread around safely in most prem grounds by ticket/seat allocation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

celt262 wrote: »

When restrictions are lessened the infection rate will go up again. Then another lockdown to some degree follows.

• Advertisement

Apparently, the first wave of the Spanish flu was not as bad as the second wave that came later. The fear is if we go back to normal Too quickly, a second wave of the virus might hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

Apparently, the first wave of the Spanish flu was not as bad as the second wave that came later. The fear is if we go back to normal Too quickly, a second wave of the virus might hit.

Sure is that not guaranteed to happy anyway unless the virus is completely gone?

Probably wrong thread for this so it's my last non football comment.

Sure is that not guaranteed to happy anyway unless the virus is completely gone?

Probably wrong thread for this so it's my last non football comment.

It's very much the right thread. Countries are reacting at the moment with a view to the virus Possible erupting again. Slow tentative steps are happening. Football will be very much governed by the virus numbers, as it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

When restrictions are lessened the infection rate will go up again. Then another lockdown to some degree follows.

Second wave is when the virus mutates and come back more deadly. There is no evidence of this occurring with this corona virus, past Corona viruses have been slow to mutate and have come back weaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

niallo27 wrote: »
    Second wave is when the virus mutates and come back more deadly. There is no evidence of this occurring with this corona virus, past Corona viruses have been slow to mutate and have come back weaker.

What about this new one that's affecting kids in England?
    Not much information on it yet but cases are being reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What about this new one that's affecting kids in England?
    Not much information on it yet but cases are being reported.

Affecting kids, first I heard of it. Where did you read that.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Affecting kids, first I heard of it. Where did you read that.

There's no confirmed link afaik. It's a possible link, but they don't know yet. Increase in kids presenting what looks like Kawasaki disease, which can supposedly make arteries swell. It's completely treatable.

There was something on ITN news earlier about the rise in the number of kids needing ICU with similar overlapping conditions to covid-19.

There was something on ITN news earlier about the rise in the number of kids needing ICU with similar overlapping conditions to covid-19.

I saw it on BBC news, there's a sudden spike in kids being treated with the condition. Not great news if it's actually linked to covid 19.

Belgian league have postponed making a decision on whether to officially end their league as they had planned. Also the governor of new york saying it would be good if they could find a solution that would mean players get paid more than sitting at home and club owners could find a way to generate revenue. Encourages people to be creative and figure it out. This is what all industries have to do adapt to the new way of living but still try and generate some money sport is no different.

• Advertisement

London Standard.

Danny Ceballos has said that Arsenal players were not tested despite Arteta's positive diagnosis with covid 19.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

London Standard.

Danny Ceballos has said that Arsenal players were not tested despite Arteta's positive diagnosis with covid 19.

Do you have a link for this? If true this is ludricrous.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

London Standard.

I think that was at the stage just after a lot of celebrities and well known people were testing positive and folk were asking if they were jumping queues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is it though? Had they been going off to play or train together again or head out into the world something, then it would be, but iirc, they all went straight into quarantine isolation so it couldn't be spread regardless.

At that stage especially, people were only getting tested if there were some complications or underlying issues. The treatment for 80+% of people is just quarantine anyway... it's interesting, and surprising that they were treated the same as 'normal people', but I wouldn't go so far as to say ludicrous.

Daily Mail. EPL clubs face £4 million bill for testing kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's all a bit ludicrous in my opinion. All it takes is one player or member of staff to test positive and everything is back to square one again.

Arghus wrote: »
    It's all a bit ludicrous in my opinion. All it takes is one player or member of staff to test positive and everything is back to square one again.

Only if they do a really bad job of planning everything... in reality, players will likely only all come together on match day, with a test the previous day to make sure they're all clear. For training, it's likely they'll just train in small cells of a few people, so at worst you would lose the few players in that persons cell - and they may well mitigate against it even further than this.

If it was as simple as "one player or member of staff to test positive and everything is back to square one again" they wouldn't even be trying. It's almost a guarantee that some players will test positive at some point. Everything they do before it will be to mitigate against that being able to lead to a domino effect.

It's going to be complicated, no doubt, and will be a huge upheaval to everything about the way they used to do things, but there will be health and safety redundancies to stop easy spread.

Large scale companies with thousands of people are managing this in Ireland as we speak. Surely these guys can manage it too, particularly with the benefit of regular testing. They don't know how good they'll have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Only if they do a really bad job of planning everything... in reality, players will likely only all come together on match day, with a test the previous day to make sure they're all clear. For training, it's likely they'll just train in small cells of a few people, so at worst you would lose the few players in that persons cell - and they may well mitigate against it even further than this.

If it was as simple as "one player or member of staff to test positive and everything is back to square one again" they wouldn't even be trying. It's almost a guarantee that some players will test positive at some point. Everything they do before it will be to mitigate against that being able to lead to a domino effect.

It's going to be complicated, no doubt, and will be a huge upheaval to everything about the way they used to do things, but there will be health and safety redundancies to stop easy spread.

They're trying because there is a lot of money involved and they figure the risk can be managed. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will work in practice.

They might be right, but more or less everything as to work perfectly.

There's a lot there that has to work flawlessly and all it takes it one cluster of infections, which is far from an impossible event, for things to get knocked sideways.

The players training in "cells" is something that will be done I'm sure.

Maybe a positive case will only result in players in the immediate cell being quarantined - what happens if there's two or even three "cells" thst are out of commission simultaneously, could potentially be a large chunk of a squad.

I don't know if for all the best laid plans players are going to be the most stringent people in the world when it comes to maintaining protocols. Who knows, I just think there's a lot of variables and plenty of scope for human error or just general carelessness.

They're trying because there is a lot of money involved and they figure the risk can be managed. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will work in practice.

They might be right, but more or less everything as to work perfectly.

There's a lot there that has to work flawlessly and all it takes it one cluster of infections, which is far from an impossible event, for things to get knocked sideways.

The players training in "cells" is something that will be done I'm sure.

Maybe a positive case will only result in players in the immediate cell being quarantined - what happens if there's two or even three "cells" thst are out of commission simultaneously, could potentially be a large chunk of a squad.

I don't know if for all the best laid plans players are going to be the most stringent people in the world when it comes to maintaining protocols. Who knows, I just think there's a lot of variables and plenty of scope for human error or just general carelessness.

Yeah it'll definitely be tricky and complicated, and I think it's likely we'll see little pockets of players ruled out from time to time through illness, but I just don't think it'll be as simple as--

Yeah it'll definitely be tricky and complicated, and I think it's likely we'll see little pockets of players ruled out from time to time through illness, but I just don't think it'll be as simple as--

If a player is tested positive, they'll surely find his close contacts and test them. If players are being tested regularly and maintaining social distancing it should be straightforward to do this. Quarantine said player, and positive close contacts,if any.

I don't get the argument everything is suddenly reset again if one person tests positive. Doesn't make sense.

*My assumption is a fairly quick turnaround of tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Looks like the Premier League will resume going on yesterday’s comments. I’m pleasantly surprised. Will be nice to have the distraction of it back again tho. I can’t see it being as straight forward as yesterday’s announcements make it seem but when I’ll hold on any comments until they formally announce the proposals as I’ve been over the hypotheticals already here a few times and just look forward to it resuming

6 wrote: »
    If a player is tested positive, they'll surely find his close contacts and test them. If players are being tested regularly and maintaining social distancing it should be straightforward to do this. Quarantine said player, and positive close contacts,if any.

I don't get the argument everything is suddenly reset again if one person tests positive. Doesn't make sense.

*My assumption is a fairly quick turnaround of tests
    Players are going to get it the same way teachers will get it, office workers will get it, lads on a building site will get it. They will have to quarantine and are unavailable the same way the teacher, office worker and builder would. We are at a different stage of this now then we were back in March . For football if a certain number of players on the same team had it Id imagine they would have a plan in place for postponing games. Same way if a certain percentage of teachers in a school got it you would have to shut it down, same with a building site .
    If the idea/plan is that if one player, staff member gets it everyone off that team needs to go into isolation for 2 weeks restarting football is pointless and we may aswell wait till there is a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

It was at the start of the pandemic. Not ludicrous if they had no symptoms. Testing was limited at that time and needed for healthcare workers and people at risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Germany get football up and going successfully behind closed doors there will be huge societal and political pressure for the U.K. to achieve the same thing.

The politics and ideology of the current government probably makes it more likely football will resume in June than not imo.

25 May as the deadline for leagues to come up with a final answer on what they are going to do.
    Sky sports.

6 wrote: »
    Large scale companies with thousands of people are managing this in Ireland as we speak. Surely these guys can manage it too, particularly with the benefit of regular testing. They don't know how good they'll have it.

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Link?
    Link? none.

Tesco.
    SuperValu
    Lidl
    Aldi.

Link? none.

Tesco.
    SuperValu
    Lidl
    Aldi.

Swab tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Swab tests?

Was 6 not referring to large scale companies working at the moment where one staff memeber being positive hasn't ground the entire company or industry to a halt.

The fact they go on to mention regular testing being something footballers would be getting over and above these large companies, I don't understand how regular swabbing is part of the initial claim.

Please explain.

Was 6 not referring to large scale companies working at the moment where one staff memeber being positive hasn't ground the entire company or industry to a halt.

The fact they go on to mention regular testing being something footballers would be getting over and above these large companies, I don't understand how regular swabbing is part of the initial claim.

Please explain.

His reply was very ambiguous,it inferred that Irish companies were partaking in large scale testing that football clubs were planning to do.
    I merely asked for clarification but it's grand because you chose to answer for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

25 May as the deadline for leagues to come up with a final answer on what they are going to do.
    Sky sports.

Great news we will hopefully know one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't think this is necessarily a good thing. I don't understand the pressure to make a definitive stance on a specific date given that nobody knows what the governments involved will be planning and at what point.

What will UEFA do if a league doesn't have an answer on 25th May?

Take the League of Ireland as our closest example - they have no idea when restart can happen - what's the point in pressurising them into declaring something if the Government extend restrictions to June? They won't know how things can resume until restrictions start getting lifted and they know how much staff they can get back and the likely financial state of the clubs and ability to participate

Edit: I should read the article...
    But UEFA's top officials will be sympathetic to any league that is unable to provide clarity by May 25, due to ongoing government uncertainty over the coronavirus pandemic

So if the league is in a country where the government is still uncertain, they won't need to be definitive

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't think this is necessarily a good thing. I don't understand the pressure to make a definitive stance on a specific date given that nobody knows what the governments involved will be planning and at what point.

Take the League of Ireland as our closest example - they have no idea when restart can happen - what's the point in pressurising them into declaring something if the Government extend restrictions to June? They won't know how things can resume until restrictions start getting lifted and they know how much staff they can get back and the likely financial state of the clubs and ability to participate

The LOIs European qualifiers are already known from the 2019 season so they don't need to inform UEFA of anything . The 2020 season results will count for 2021/22 European season.

Premiership rugby hoping to restart in the first week of July, might be a yardstick for the soccer.

8-10 wrote: »

Edit: I should read the article...

So if the league is in a country where the government is still uncertain, they won't need to be definitive

LOI could even look at moving back to traditional season aug -may would give them till may 2021 to finish the season as they already have the european qualifiers from the 2019 season.

Link?

:confused:

Link for what? Businesses that are working in Ireland?

Edit, Mitch beat me to it. Add in pharmaceutical and medical companies. All working with huge work forces. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/1255115723896209408?s=19

Could be another major league ended for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Premiership rugby hoping to restart in the first week of July, might be a yardstick for the soccer.

Wouldnt like to be playing rugby on rock hard pitches in the summer.😖

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement