Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The training is in small groups BECAUSE you have to play a full match that week. You can’t test every day realistically, so you keep the players distanced so the risk of infection is low - then you test at the end of the week before the match to make sure everyone is clear. If someone tests positive, at most you only lose 3 or so players - and you know every player taking the field is clean.

Maybe by then they’ll be able to carry out daily testing easily, in which case they could train more like normal... as I understand it though, the current most accurate tests take a fair bit of time.

Ah sure that is grand so, once the match goes ahead eh?

If they have to train in small groups due to medical advice/public health rules then there shouldn't be 22 players on the pitch playing a match at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RasTa wrote: »
    no no no no, it's not "great" to see at all and completely misleading. You sound like Gove or Hancock with that statement

What's misleading about it, genuine question.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Ah sure that is grand so, once the match goes ahead eh?

If they have to train in small groups due to medical advice/public health rules then there shouldn't be 22 players on the pitch playing a match at the weekend.

Yes but we are talking 2 or 3 months time, not next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

poppers wrote: »
    Wouldnt like to be playing rugby on rock hard pitches in the summer.😖

They do water the pitches you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but we are talking 2 or 3 months time, not next week.

The post I responded to said the following:
    The training is in small groups BECAUSE you have to play a full match that week.

If they still have to do that in 2 months, then they shouldn't be playing football behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why enter and exit the field of play separately? They're going to be playing a match.

Yeah once the players have passed their pre-match test, I think you have to assume they are all clean and can grapple with/shadow each other the same way as they would in any high-level match. Otherwise what's the point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Don’t like the man personally, but he does raise some valid points here, I disagree with the voiding though, I feel the best way is to finish it as it is now position wise.

https://twitter.com/talksport/status/1255113965811761152?s=21

Dave0301 wrote: »
    The post I responded to said the following:

If they still have to do that in 2 months, then they shouldn't be playing football behind closed doors.

He saying it should be done as a precaution so only a few players could get infected rather than the whole team if they trained together

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Does simon jordan consider what will happen to all the footballers when they are told they will have no income till a vaccine is found and what the negative knock on effects of that might be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Does simon jordan consider what will happen to all the footballers when they are told they will have no income till a vaccine is found and what the negative knock on effects of that might be.

He wasn’t asked that question. He was asked what his opinion is on if/when football would be back in England & what does he think will happen to this season & gave his answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

joe_99 wrote: »
    They do water the pitches you know.

Plus, Rugby League has been a summer league for years, its nothing new

It is much worse but we are comparing like with like by comparing hospital deaths since the crisis started.

Absolutely. Hospital deaths falling is without a doubt positive trending. Hopefully it continues.

It's from the NHS website so I'd assume it's as accurate as you'll get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Those figures are from the NHS in the UK. They are not following the same protocols as the health authorities in Ireland are.

I wasn't comparing them to Irish figures.

I was discussing them as a standalone figure and commenting on the delay in reporting and how it affects the real time figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

gstack166 wrote: »
    He wasn’t asked that question. He was asked what his opinion is on if/when football would be back in England & what does he think will happen to this season & gave his answer.

His point at the end was what happens when a player gets infected and it will happen until we get a vaccine and what do we do if somebody dies. So he is ultimately saying no football till a vaccine. He cant be saying cancel this season because somebody might die but you can kick off next season because somebody wont die then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

6 wrote: »
    It's from the NHS website so I'd assume it's as accurate as you'll get anywhere.

Only reporting deaths of people who died in hospital and have confirmed to have the virus. Although I think that's changing from tomorrow.

Real deaths closer to 41k atm.

If tests are fast and reliable and are done before every training session, then I could see this happening. If a player tests postive he is deemed injured until he tests negative. I know it all sounds simplistic but this is a multi billion pound industry it can be done.

His point at the end was what happens when a player gets infected and it will happen until we get a vaccine and what do we do if somebody dies. So he is ultimately saying no football till a vaccine. He cant be saying cancel this season because somebody might die but you can kick off next season because somebody wont die then.

What if it takes 3 years to make one? Or 5? Or they can't make a vaccine? I wonder what Simon proposes then?

It's too black and white with some people who can't think outside the box. They need to figure out ways to work around it, the same way the rest of the world will.

Only reporting deaths of people who died in hospital and have confirmed to have the virus. Although I think that's changing from tomorrow.

That's fair enough but hospital deaths reducing is postive news, it's not misleading. It was clear in the post it was just hospital deaths.

• Advertisement

So they haven't reported any of those figures yet then? So the figures reported is all people can go on

6 wrote: »
    So they haven't reported any of those figures yet then? So the figures reported is all people can go on

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Yeah once the players have passed their pre-match test, I think you have to assume they are all clean and can grapple with/shadow each other the same way as they would in any high-level match. Otherwise what's the point?

If they've passed the "tests" before the match why enter the field/leave separately? I don't know the answer to that, more so on the leaving the pitch part after they've played 45/90mins of football.

On another note, zero mentioning of spitting/clearing the nose on the field? Or is that just obvious that it doesn't need to be said..

If tests are fast and reliable and are done before every training session, then I could see this happening. If a player tests postive he is deemed injured until he tests negative. I know it all sounds simplistic but this is a multi billion pound industry it can be done.

That'd be ideal. Doubt they'll have that many tests to begin with but who knows.

If they've passed the "tests" before the match why enter the field/leave separately? I don't know the answer to that, more so on the leaving the pitch part after they've played 45/90mins of football.

On another note, zero mentioning of spitting/clearing the nose on the field? Or is that just obvious that it doesn't need to be said..

If they tested negative, why would it matter about spitting or anything like that.

If they tested negative, why would it matter about spitting or anything like that.

If they've tested negative, why are they suggesting following social distancing with regards entering and leaving the field? Separate showering after games etc.. like you say they've "tested" negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This just isn't possible. Testing is extremely limited and thats going to be the case for months. Sports are way down the priority list. Its not a question of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Everything I’ve read references “English football” coming back, are they making the same effort to get the lower leagues back as they are the PL?

There's no mention of tests for LOI players, only mentioning looking out for symptoms/temperature. The only story I've seen about players being tested was Italy, for every test taken the clubs donate X amount of tests back into the healthcare system no idea if this is on the cards with EPL. No chance of that being a viable option for LOI clubs, they'll already be losing money having no fans coming through the gates.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/serie-a-clubs-to-donate-five-test-kits-for-every-one-they-use-1.4238230?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Everything I’ve read references “English football” coming back, are they making the same effort to get the lower leagues back as they are the PL?

I'd doubt it,never mind the integrity of football this is all about money with the EPL.
    Every other country has added the caveat that a resumption of football is down to government where in England it's suddenly the government want football back asap. It's as if they are being put under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Coronavirus and football: Fifa medical chair does not want restart this season.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52462233

• Advertisement

The above article, doctor worrying about spitting.. niallo response "what does it matter" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There are 3 options to determine the final positions in France.

From what I can make out of these (my leaving cert pass level French is not helping me here), the options are;

1. Points Per Game to work out final positions.
    2. Take the table as now as final
    3. Take the table from having played each team once as final.

The relegation spots don't seem to be affected at all as the same 3 teams are involved in every scenario. The same applies to the top 4 positions. The only relevant changes to the table apply in positions 5&6.

https://twitter.com/ActuFoot_/status/1255140317965070344?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

FitzShane wrote: »

Interesting, I hadn't seen that type of scenario mentioned before. Anyone managed to work that out for the PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

stesaurus wrote: »
    Interesting, I hadn't seen that type of scenario mentioned before. Anyone managed to work that out for the PL?

The half way point would be

1. Liverpool
    2. Leicester City
    3. Man City
    4. Chelsea
    5. Wolves
    6. Spurs
    7. Sheffield United
    8. Man United

There could be some issue with Liverpool playing someone twice before they played West Ham as that game was rearranged but I don't it would actually change anything as they won both games anyways.

The half way point would be

1. Liverpool
    2. Leicester City
    3. Man City
    4. Chelsea
    5. Wolves
    6. Spurs
    7. Sheffield United
    8. Man United

There could be some issue with Liverpool playing someone twice before they played West Ham as that game was rearranged but I don't it would actually change anything as they won both games anyways.

For the first half of the season for United that seems generous lol I'd take it and move onto the next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There's no mention of tests for LOI players, only mentioning looking out for symptoms/temperature. The only story I've seen about players being tested was Italy, for every test taken the clubs donate X amount of tests back into the healthcare system no idea if this is on the cards with EPL. No chance of that being a viable option for LOI clubs, they'll already be losing money having no fans coming through the gates.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/serie-a-clubs-to-donate-five-test-kits-for-every-one-they-use-1.4238230?mode=amp

The LOI already has its European spots sorted and essentially have until next June to finish the current season.

The reason why everyone is rushing the decision to end their leagues is entirely on UEFA. They want the champions league to go on as close as normal and to fit in with Euro 2021. UEFA need cash flow to filter through to the associations, who can filter it through to the leagues. For all the attention people pay to Liverpool or Real Madrid etc, the associations are struggling, the leagues outside of the Top5 are struggling, even the big clubs.

UEFAs needs are paramount right now, as its benefits the most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

There are 3 options to determine the final positions in France.

From what I can make out of these (my leaving cert pass level French is not helping me here), the options are;

1. Points Per Game to work out final positions.
    2. Take the table as now as final

The relegation spots don't seem to be affected at all as the same 3 teams are involved in every scenario. The same applies to the top 4 positions. The only relevant changes to the table apply in positions 5&6.

Points per game would be the fairest way to take into account any games in hand teams might have, I wonder could it be worked out as home and away number which could make it fairer again especially for teams in the bottom half

The LOI already has its European spots sorted and essentially have until next June to finish the current season.

The reason why everyone is rushing the decision to end their leagues is entirely on UEFA. They want the champions league to go on as close as normal and to fit in with Euro 2021. UEFA need cash flow to filter through to the associations, who can filter it through to the leagues. For all the attention people pay to Liverpool or Real Madrid etc, the associations are struggling, the leagues outside of the Top5 are struggling, even the big clubs.

UEFAs needs are paramount right now, as its benefits the most people.

"Uefa needs are paramount right now"

My point of view will strongly differ from a game of football at this moment in time.

This whole nonsense of giving people a break from the boredom so we can watch a game of football being played out in an empty stadium is fairly funny..

What has happened to the game that "needs" the fans? This pandemic has created the need of TV is more important then what has gotten the game to this point, the fans..

I think, this is the moment where everyone takes stock that the game has passed everyone by, you may sit in the stands at every game but it's not your game anymore the game is beholden to TV..

I'll not be tuning into empty stadiums, a few players shouting and managers screaming their heads off on the sidelines.

Best of luck to UEFA''s needs being paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

This is a few weeks old but provides a detailed picture of the EFL situation:

'Clubs at every level are at risk' - the financial nightmare facing football (BBC Sport)
    On 3 April, the Premier League agreed to advance £125m in payments to the EFL and National League, although only £2m of it will go to the 68 National League clubs.

In Leagues One and Two, the deadline for payment of April's wages is approaching and mass furloughing of players is being threatened. Meanwhile, in the Championship, business plans are under even greater strain than normal.

Of the 21 Championship clubs who competed in the EFL last season, the latest published accounts for five of them included parachute payments that came with relegation from the Premier League. In 13 instances out of the remaining 16, the club's wage bills exceeded their income.

It has been reported that in order to protect themselves, if agreement can not be found between individual clubs and the Professional Footballers' Association over wage cuts and deferrals, a "nuclear option" of all 24 clubs going into administration was being considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The FT has some very grim reading about the excess deaths in relation to the virus in UK

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1255183452527374337?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

stesaurus wrote: »

I said they should count the table for 19 games played and where teams played twice to aggregate the scores and count that as one game as was laugh out of here. Ok maybe take the 2nd games out for those who played twice but count the 19 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would just leave it as is, essentially.

Its not fairer, or worse than going back to Match day 19. On the one hand that means everyone a played each other once. But you are still missing the fairness of home and away matches. What if one side had played City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc away from home, and another side player them all at home. Sure they played against the same sides, but there is massive context around that.

Without actually completing the league there is not fair way of deciding final places that will please everyone.
    ]I've neer been on board with the integrity talk, to be honest, I felt it was being thrown around to claim so moral high ground. But for anyone that does claim to care about integrity, I've no idea how you argue for anything at all at this point.

Points Per Game, doesn't account for fixture schedules - integrity?
    Role back to game 19? So just forget about the 10 matches since then - integrity?
    End season as is? Forget about the last 9 games - integrity?

Even where there is talk of finishing the season. Nuetral grounds (losing home advantage) and 5 subs? Would create a different context to all that matches than the previous 28/29 games, where is the sporting integrity in that? Also give clubs like City and Liverpool, who have greater squad numbers and higher quality on the bench an advantage over smaller clubs with smaller squads. (I don't think any club would be upset to see Andreas Pereira and Lingard come on as subs 4 and 5!)

I've no base issue with football returning - I'd love to see it back, but i do see a whole host of problems with every way you could bring it back, as well as every way you end it.

And also, I don't think calls of it being based on greed are fair either. Greed would have it about profit. As I see it football returning is about football surviving. I don't see wanting your business to survive this crisis as being greedy. I hope my bosses are doing all they can to keep my company going (I know they are), and I don't think that is greed on their part - so if if I don't think my boss is being greedy trying to keep the company alive I don't see why I should ascribe that mentality to Woodward or the PL bosses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My point of view will strongly differ from a game of football at this moment in time.

This whole nonsense of giving people a break from the boredom so we can watch a game of football being played out in an empty stadium is fairly funny..

What has happened to the game that "needs" the fans? This pandemic has created the need of TV is more important then what has gotten the game to this point, the fans..

I think, this is the moment where everyone takes stock that the game has passed everyone by, you may sit in the stands at every game but it's not your game anymore the game is beholden to TV..

I'll not be tuning into empty stadiums, a few players shouting and managers screaming their heads off on the sidelines.

The associations are getting hit hard and need cash to fund the grassroots of the game. So UEFA needs to generate cash Quickly.

Even look at the FA, probably the wealthiest of all the associations. The FA Cup looks like its done this year. That's revenue for 2 semi finals and a final at Wembley, 240,000 tickets at about 50 quid a pop. They lose Their England home games that they had planned, any concerts due to take place at Wembley. That's a lot of money for a non profit organisation that is there to fund the game. That money has already been allocated to whatever they are funding.

If they can get next season started by August, that would be great and everything can lead nicely to Euro2021

If football was FTA and we didn't have TV contracts I think the arguments would be different.

The issue isn't so much that football doesn't need fans - it obviously does. But no matter what happens re. TV there will not be football with fans in the stadium any time soon. So there simply isn't the possibility of generating match day revenue in that way.

The other, huge (for some) revenue stream that they can look to protect is TV money. TV money will keep the lights on.

Clubs need money to survive, and the TV contracts will provide money as long as there is a product for the TV companies to pay out on.

I want football to return with full stadiums at some point, and I don't think that will be possible without playing behind closed doors first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

After the positive news from a few country’s the last few days here’s some not so good news as we await a potential lifting of restrictions from Leo

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-germanys-rate-of-covid-19-infections-grows-after-lockdown-eased-11980194

After the positive news from a few country’s the last few days here’s some not so good news as we await a potential lifting of restrictions from Leo

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-germanys-rate-of-covid-19-infections-grows-after-lockdown-eased-11980194
    The numbers will be based on data from 7 to 10 days ago, so prior to the restrictions being lifted.

However, anyone who thinks the rate of infection won't rise (and significantly) after the ending of lockdown is a moron.

Lockdown wasn't about irradicating the virus, it was about stretching the length of times infections would occur, hopefully reducing the number overall (as people will to a large extent continue to practice social distancing and isolation out of lockdown too) and building up capacity to deal with any predicted spikes.

Increases in daily cases should 100% be expected after the easing of restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A potential spanner in the works for the restart of football in England?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/clubs-threaten-to-revolt-over-project-restart-gpsbzg55g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

If and this is a big if, multimillionaire footballers can get tested quicker then frontline medical staff in the NHS/HSE then society has failed.

• Advertisement

Yeah it won't sit well with many.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement