Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SlickRic wrote: »
    it would be tough to take as a Liverpool fan, but the more this goes on, the more a voiding of the League looks like the best bet.

I agree with any decision, initially, to postpone, and see where we are in three weeks. voiding it right now is probably jumping the gun slightly. sure, Serie A haven't even done that yet.

but this is way more serious than football. i know people have been taking the mick for the last few weeks that Liverpool still won't manage to win the title, but I genuinely believe that for most people, it's just that - taking a bit of mick - before realising just how serious this could get. and if it gets more serious, and the UK can't keep it under control, then there will be little option left. and i would like to think that club rivalries go out the window.

it is simple.

Just finish this season whenever safe to do so.
    Whether it is 2 Months time 6 months or even a year until a vaccine is out.

Clubs can easily sue their leagues if they are not finished.
    It is not as things will be ok to start in August anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,371 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MD1990 wrote: »
    iClubs can easily sue their leagues if they are not finished?

i'm the furthest thing from a legal expert, but can they?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I wouldn't be surprised to see the center of the outbreak move from Italy to England at this rate.
    Looking at the state of Tom Hanks the other day it could be the US....

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jesus christ will the children stop trying to poke the Liverpool fans, it's so ****ing small time and pathetic. People are dying and ye are trying to hold ye're sides from splitting as Liverpool could miss out.

The league will be postponed for now and we will see where we are at then. If its has to be ruled null and void it'll be so bad then no one will give a **** and I certainly won't.

It's football lads, its an interest, most us sit in our armchair and watch it, we don't even attend games regularly. You just turn off the TV and tune into the real world.

Models and projections mean **** all right now and I just wish everyone would stop been pandemic experts, ye ****ing aren't, your just part of the rest of us sad ***** on here.

Beasty wrote: »
    Looking at the state of Tom Hanks the other day it could be the US....

:pac:

giphy.gif

rob316 wrote: »
    Jesus christ will the children stop trying to poke the Liverpool fans, it's so ****ing small time and pathetic. People are dying and ye are trying to hold ye're sides from splitting as Liverpool could miss out.

The league will be postponed for now and we will see where we are at then. If its has to be ruled null and void it'll be so bad then no one will give a **** and I certainly won't.

It's football lads, its an interest, most us sit in our armchair and watch it, we don't even attend games regularly. You just turn off the TV and tune into the real world.

Models and projections mean **** all right now and I just wish everyone would stop been pandemic experts, ye ****ing aren't, your just part of the rest of us sad ***** on here.

I don't see any poster doing this.

You are imaging things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'll post this again. No one is enjoying the spread of the coronavirus and no one wants it even if it stops Liverpool winning the league.

But we can't control the spread of it so if Liverpool lose out as a consequence, rival fans will enjoy that by-product because, looking at it purely through sporting eyes, it's so unfair on them. Liverpool fans would be the same if the shoe was on the other foot. Enjoying your rivals' misfortune is part of supporting a club.

Doesn't mean anyone is cheering on coronavirus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Funny that people mentioning voiding the season are only thinking it affects Liverpool.

What happens next seasons CL?
    Which English team enters? Surely Leicester deserve a spot. Surely Utd deserve a chance of catching Chelsea considering their recent runs.

What about the EPL teams and the money the promoted teams will miss out on?
    What about all the performance related contracts for clubs and players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,371 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

basically, if this coronavirus issue ends in May or June, the powers that be have to decide whether it makes more sense to:

a. finish the European and domestic seasons around Europe, and rebuild the football calendar around that, or;

b. void everything and just start again.

i know I said voiding was the best bet, but looking at it again written down, the first option is probably what they'll go for. too much has been invested by clubs in the season just started for it to just be wiped from memory.

it's easy to say 'void', but the ramifications are pretty hefty. it's a massive call.

if the coronavirus goes on until August / September, well then all bets are off. i've no idea what they'll do at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

CSF wrote: »
    How has there been this many English football cases overnight and none before late yesterday evening? This is bonkers.

Increased testing I would guess, probably since the first football case and it takes a couple of days I think.

Like the HSE seem to have only been considering cases that are linked to travel and not testing those who were not. There are probably a lot more cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Premier league suspended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

English Premier League side Everton confirmed on Friday that their entire first-team squad has been placed into self-isolation following medical advice after a first-team player reported symptoms consistent with coronavirus.

The football club said it was in regular contact with the player in question and is monitoring the wellbeing of all players and staff and had closed down all of its workplaces, including its Goodison Park stadium and USM Finch Farm training ground.
    CNN reporting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You are imaging things.

What? Me he says like butter wouldn't melt.

You know exactly what you are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

MaceFace wrote: »
    Funny that people mentioning voiding the season are only thinking it affects Liverpool.

What happens next seasons CL?
    Which English team enters? Surely Leicester deserve a spot. Surely Utd deserve a chance of catching Chelsea considering their recent runs.

What about the EPL teams and the money the promoted teams will miss out on?
    What about all the performance related contracts for clubs and players?

We don’t get to the point in the conversation where we can speak about that. Every time a poster says the season will be voided, a Liverpool fan comes in talking about how they can’t do that etc and takes it away from the topic.

Ultimately it will boil down to the FA to resolve if/when that happens.
    The Italian FA have said they won’t have a champion and will nominate the teams for Europe to UEFA. I don’t believe they’ve stated the criteria used to establish those yet.
    The German sources are saying no champions and similiar about European places but that they may still promote teams from tier 2 to tier 1. It will mean additional games with more relegation spots next year.
    Rightly so the health and safety of people should take priority in the FA’s around Europe at the moment and only have a small section working on the resolutions to a void season.
    Ultimately the FAs will probably await directive from UEFA for things like champions league “winners” if the season is voided. Do Liverpool retain or is it awarded (for the purposes of rankings etc) to Real Madrid
    The EL is similar, do UEFA “award” it too Man United thus putting them into the champions league next year or not.
    I guess once a few of these questions are answered FA’s around Europe can make their arrangements then to try and appease (mission impossible I know) their member clubs.

Edit * just to be clear, by award, I don’t mean present with the trophy or have it listed in the history books. The history books will show no winner. I mean for the purpose of European rankings, teams to play in champions league next year automatically, how many slots each country gets to give to clubs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

And it's off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

namloc1980 wrote: »
    English Premier League side Everton confirmed on Friday that their entire first-team squad has been placed into self-isolation following medical advice after a first-team player reported symptoms consistent with coronavirus.

Well we know Pickford didn't catch it

What? Me he says like butter wouldn't melt.

You know exactly what you are doing.

Care to elaborate?

You are imaging things.

It's definitely happening
    FixitFelix wrote: »
    Sometimes I like to throw a grenade a stand back, the fact you're getting so wound up about Liverpool fans having a tantrum over what I said makes me smile :).

And I am delighted and on a wind up, but Liverpool fans are too easy and just dive in with 2 feet

8-10 wrote: »
    It's definitely happening

One poster

Anyone else

One poster

Anyone else

that's enough to prove it's not imagining things no?

That's the only poster I've seen openly admit that their posting, which is along the lines of 'sorry but it's going to be cancelled' and 'no-one will get the title its just tough' in the Liverpool thread is actually doing it specifically to wind up Liverpool fans and is happy with how everything is going.

Any other one I point to you'll be able to just say they're being genuine but I strongly suspect otherwise. You're free to believe what you want but it's not being imagined. There's many posters with comments along the same lines - all supporters of rival clubs - and the fact that one admits it to be a wind-up is enough for me to know it's not being imagined.

Faux sympathy is hardly a new thing on this forum as you should know by now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Realistically this season is over and probably next season. We have only seen the start of this virus and its impact on all of us.

that's enough to prove it's not imagining things no?

That's the only poster I've seen openly admit that their posting, which is along the lines of 'sorry but it's going to be cancelled' and 'no-one will get the title its just tough' in the Liverpool thread is actually doing it specifically to wind up Liverpool fans and is happy with how everything is going.

Any other one I point to you'll be able to just say they're being genuine but I strongly suspect otherwise. You're free to believe what you want but it's not being imagined. There's many posters with comments along the same lines - all supporters of rival clubs - and the fact that one admits it to be a wind-up is enough for me to know it's not being imagined.

Faux sympathy is hardly a new thing on this forum as you should know by now
    I'd rather deal with factual information that next level Whataboutery

If Wales can play Scotland in front of 75,000 people I'm not sure why there's a rush to postpone some of these games?

Ones involving Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester and Everton I understand. But what's the difference to a Rugby game which is more of a contact sport in a stadium bigger than any football game planned in England this weekend?

I'd rather deal with factual information that next level Whataboutery

Well you said you hadn't seen any poster and that it was being imagined.

You have a fact to dispute that now. Ignore the rest.

If Wales can play Scotland in front of 75,000 people I'm not sure why there's a rush to postpone some of these games?

Ones involving Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester and Everton I understand. But what's the difference to a Rugby game which is more of a contact sport in a stadium bigger than any football game planned in England this weekend?

What an absolutely farcical decision

Well you said you hadn't seen any poster and that it was being imagined.

You have a fact to dispute that now. Ignore the rest.

Thanks for clearing that up about that one poster
    The poster implied everyone was at it
    Therefore incorrect
    Factual

People here will lose family members from this. That's the sad part. :(

Thanks for clearing that up about that one poster
    The poster implied everyone was at it
    Therefore incorrect
    Factual

Unfortunately common sense is needed to assess facts on the basis of probability. I don't think I'll get anywhere with you on that so let's move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What is the likelihood of games going ahead in April?

At best, I feel if the spread has stopped amongst the clubs and players then they can play games behind closed doors.

But if they can't resume in April then I can't see how they can schedule games unless they use it as preparation for shifting the football calendar for Qatar 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

murpho999 wrote: »

At best, I feel if the spread has stopped amongst the clubs and players then they can play games behind closed doors.

But if they can't resume in April then I can't see how they can schedule games unless they use it as preparation for shifting the football calendar for Qatar 2022.

Minimal to be honest, schools wont be back till end of April at the earliest, we are in a whole different stage now and I dont see mass crowds being allowed back anytime soon.

On a side note, its farcical that the UK are allowing the Wales Scotland game, Cheltenham and the like go ahead. I mean there was a quicker reaction and more restrictions with foot and mouth years ago than to this

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it's only going to escalate further. They can't put far out dates as people will be put into a bigger panic than they already are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

duffman13 wrote: »
    Minimal to be honest, schools wont be back till end of April at the earliest, we are in a whole different stage now and I dont see mass crowds being allowed back anytime soon.

On a side note, its farcical that the UK are allowing the Wales Scotland game, Cheltenham and the like go ahead. I mean there was a quicker reaction and more restrictions with foot and mouth years ago than to this

UK schools are still going ahead.

UK seems to be adopting a Brexit mentality approach and seem to value their economy over lives.

I'm sure their approach will change soon.

UK seems to be adopting a Brexit mentality approach and seem to value their economy over lives.

I'd argue it's either too late or it was on purpose for some medical reasoning about immunization.
    They want it like Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Something I read on twitter recently...

Last year there were only two epidemiologists around these parts. Last month there were a dozen. Now there is 500. What will it be like next week?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Scottish football the latest to be suspended indefinitely.

If football can resume before October I'll be pretty surprised.

PARlance wrote: »
    UK schools are still going ahead.

England are in denial

Scottish football the latest to be suspended indefinitely.

I assume it's the individual governing bodies of football doing this against the current will of the UK government.

Surely that indicates to the leaders they are getting it wrong.

• Advertisement

Just a pity we have to share an island with their car crash approach

6 wrote: »
    If football can resume before October I'll be pretty surprised.

God help this forum

God help this forum

That'll be the least of our worries tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Whats the argument against simply having a shortened season, awarding titles/europe spots based on current standings and bunkering down until next season? I find the idea of making the entire season null and void silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I assume it's the individual governing bodies of football doing this against the current will of the UK government.

Surely that indicates to the leaders they are getting it wrong.

The UK government have come out and said anyone with symptoms should self isolate for 7 days........half the recommended time that the rest of the world are going with. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

chupacabra wrote: »
    Whats the argument against simply having a shortened season, awarding titles/europe spots based on current standings and bunkering down until next season? I find the idea of making the entire season null and void silly.

It happened at the outbreak of WW2. Season is recorded as null and void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

chupacabra wrote: »

Are you familiar with Daniel Levy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's especially problematic ending the league now when, for example, Villa have a game in hand and a win would lift them out of the relegation zone. Doesn't seem at all fair (or legal?) to relegate them with a game less played.

Same goes for Sheffield United who could make Champions League with their game in hand.

Ultimately it's just 9 more matches, I think they have to look into finishing the league barring a situation where this goes on well into the autumn.

Scrapping the League Cup next season might be one way they could deal with a potentially late start to next season's league.

It happened at the outbreak of WW2. Season is recorded as null and void.

Slight difference is that the only played 3 league games rounds and war was declared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Morzadec wrote: »
    It's especially problematic ending the league now when, for example, Villa have a game in hand and a win would lift them out of the relegation zone. Doesn't seem at all fair (or legal?) to relegate them with a game less played.

Reports the Bundesliga are considering cancelling the season. No champion, no relegation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement