Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

niallo27 wrote: »
    The player in question said he will was feeling perfect and fully able to train despite testing positive. Listen if you are young and fit, this thing will hardly bother you, this cant be news to you.

What is this based on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What is this based on.

Which point.

Which point.

The fact that it will hardly bother you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Only isolation if they test postive though. Also they would test as early as they can before the game starts. This is all dependant on faster tests.

PCR Tests that are in use have a decent enough false negative rate. A negative test isn't a guarantee that the virus isn't present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The player in question said he will was feeling perfect and fully able to train despite testing positive. Listen if you are young and fit, this thing will hardly bother you, this cant be news to you.

Is there not a young, fit footballer playing in the French league that is in bad shape with C19?

And are there not numerous instances of people dying that are well under 50 and that have no underlying conditions?

This cant be news to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Listen if you are young and fit, this thing will hardly bother you, this cant be news to you.

There are teenagers and people in their 20s dying in the UK most days of Covid. A Northern Irish semi pro player was hospitalised and other amateur sportspeople have ended up in ICU. You're way off the mark with your assertion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

gstack166 wrote: »

Who exactly are they lobbying? I’m pretty sure most FAs are following government instructions and will only proceed once given the go ahead by their respective governments.

Sounds like a news outlet with no news

Is there not a young, fit footballer playing in the French league that is in bad shape with C19?

And are there not numerous instances of people dying that are well under 50 and that have no underlying conditions?

This cant be news to you.

Does he have underlying conditions. Why are you mentioning under 50s, we are talking about young footballers.

Amirani wrote: »
    There are teenagers and people in their 20s dying in the UK most days of Covid. A Northern Irish semi pro player was hospitalised and other amateur sportspeople have ended up in ICU. You're way off the mark with your assertion.

https://www.corona24.news/c/2020/04/25/the-first-ligue-1-player-with-coronavirus-is-in-a-coma-anesthetics-have-stopped.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/20/dont-take-it-lightly-charlie-austin-says-he-has-acute-coronavirus-symptoms

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Was watching First Take earlier on ESPN (An American tv sports talk show) & Max Kellerman a very well respected boxing reporter mentioned without providing sources that there’s a belief in America that there’s side effects from the virus showing in young people in their mid 30’s of having strokes and male infertility (which I found strange, how would they have come to that conclusion on fertility so quickly)

Must have a look for more information on it later tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Listen if you are young and fit, this thing will hardly bother you, this cant be news to you.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/08/young-people-coronavirus-deaths/%3foutputType=amp

More stuff you’ve just pulled plucked from obscurity

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/coronavirus-ireland-update-symptoms-cases-21733674.amp

If it could hardly affect young and fit people then why hasn’t football restarted all over the world

Does he have underlying conditions. Why are you mentioning under 50s, we are talking about young footballers.

He is a professional footballer so I would say likely not any underlying conditions. As Amirani said above, there are people dying that fall within the bracket of what you seem to think is bullet proof against any even minor issues with C19. You seem to be completely ignoring the facts as they are reported and its utterly bizarre tbh.

With underlying conditions, I know some people are dying that are younger but the 99% of them either had underlying conditions or were over 44.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

With underlying conditions, I know some people are dying that are younger but the 99% of them either had underlying conditions or were over 44.

And what if a player has an underlying condition that hasn't been discovered yet and contracts covid-19?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What about support staff that come into contact with them? Not everyone on football is young fit and a pro footballer. Imagine the Leeds manager for example.

So only a small chance a professional athlete could die from it, sure open the stadiums now so, it's clearly worth the risk to some.

Sorry I calculated it wrong its 99.66% of people are over 44 and have no underlying conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jayo26 wrote: »
    What about support staff that come into contact with them? Not everyone on football is young fit and a pro footballer. Imagine the Leeds manager for example.

Roy Hodgson is over 70.

• Advertisement

1% of deaths being in that age group without underlying conditions is not the same as 99% of people in same group getting it and being fine.

Sorry I calculated it wrong its 99.66% of people are over 44 and have no underlying conditions

Care to elaborate on where you pulled this nugget of information below from?
    niallo27 wrote:
    Listen if you are young and fit, this thing will hardly bother you, this cant be news to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

pjohnson wrote: »
    Roy Hodgson is over 70.

Steve Bruce had a health scare recently too and is fairly obesse I'd imagine.

Care to elaborate on where you pulled this nugget of information below from?

It's in the link I shared.

jayo26 wrote: »

That's why we test test test, if we cant then football cant come back.

It's in the link I shared.

No it doesn’t state anywhere in it “Listen if you are young and fit, this thing will hardly bother you, this cant be news to you”

Please show me where it does
    Thanks

• Advertisement

No it doesn’t state anywhere in it “Listen if you are young and fit, this thing will hardly bother you, this cant be news to you”

Please show me where it does
    Thanks

It's my opinion from icu numbers and death numbers. Do you think being young and fit doesnt make a make a massive massive difference

It's my opinion from icu numbers and death numbers. Do you think being young and fit doesnt make a make a massive massive difference

Are you a doctor?

Absolutely, the elderly are in the highest risk category aswell as those with respiratory ailments but it's dangerous, bordering on Trumpism, to try and wave away the real and possible risks to EVERYONES health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Gary Neville on the football show is echoing what many have said already and that if football comes back it may not be completed as once a player or manager contracts CoVid due too football he can’t see that club continuing on and fulfilling fixtures

Based on Gary's logic we won't see football for 3-4 years. Covid vaccine could take that long and may only give 80% immunity etc. Football needs a solution that works with Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Are you a doctor?

Absolutely, the elderly are in the highest risk category aswell as those with respiratory ailments but it's dangerous, bordering on Trumpism, to try and wave away the real and possible risks to EVERYONES health.

Agree

I actually cant believe you had say it though.

But that's what its come to

Are you a doctor?

No but i work with data, hang on I never waved away the risk to everyone's health, I am just pointing out the risk if getting seriously ill from this if your young and fit is minuscule, that is a fact from the data we have. Do you disagree with this fact.

• Advertisement

Oh so firstly it was “this can’t be news to you,” implying that it widely known if you are “young and fit it’ll hardly affect you” but now it’s your opinion

So which is it?

Also your opinion contradicts everything medical professionals have told us.
    I’d also imagine professional footballer Lee Duffy would disagree with your opinion

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/coronavirus-ireland-update-symptoms-cases-21733674.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If football is off for the rest of the year, here's an idea

A penalty shootout league :D

Only goalkeepers travel and they can play against each other via big screens. Only 10 players from the home team turn up, all Socially distant, all turn up in their gear and travel home straight after the game.

So David Gea goes to Anfield, Allison goes to Old Trafford. Liverpool take a penalty at Anfield, United respond at Old Trafford.

TV can show a whole round of games in 2-3 hours

I'm trademarking this :pac:

Oh so firstly it was “this can’t be news to you,” implying that it widely known if you are “young and fit it’ll hardly affect you” but now it’s your opinion

So which is it?

Also your opinion contradicts everything medical professionals have told us.
    I’d also imagine professional footballer Lee Duffy would disagree with your opinion

The data is there, if you are young and fit the chances of getting seriously ill are minuscule. Do you dispute this fact. How is Lee Duffy now by the way. Why are people getting so worked up, I'm not saying inject every player with the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

gstack166 wrote: »
    Was watching First Take earlier on ESPN (An American tv sports talk show) & Max Kellerman a very well respected boxing reporter mentioned without providing sources that there’s a belief in America that there’s side effects from the virus showing in young people in their mid 30’s of having strokes and male infertility (which I found strange, how would they have come to that conclusion on fertility so quickly)

Must have a look for more information on it later tonight.

That was brought up when tests were done in China too,it somehow can affect male fertility and lead to compromised lung capacity even when victims recover.
    As I posted earlier,Paulo Dybala is still carrying traces of the virus a month after he initially tested positive.
    This thing is so new that professionals worldwide are still only getting to grips with the problems it's causing to people. Even ethnicity and race are factors.

Agree

I actually cant believe you had say it though.

But that's what its come to

All the utd boys thanking this, **** me you lot really want this league not to continue. Just come out and say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The data is there, if you are young and fit the chances of getting seriously ill are minuscule. Do you dispute this fact. How is Lee Duffy now by the way. Why are people getting so worked up, I'm not saying inject every player with the virus.

What data? You’ve referred to data plenty of times. You made a statement of “if you are young and fit it will hardly affect you” show me where anyone reputable has stated this anywhere.

IF your statement was correct then professional sports through out the world would be continued as the majority are “young and fit” but alas neither of this is true.

What data? You’ve referred to data plenty of times. You made a statement of “if you are young and fit it will hardly affect you” show me where anyone reputable has stated this anywhere.

IF your statement was correct then professional sports through out the world would be continued as the majority are “young and fit” but alas neither of this is true.

Ok your right. No sports for the next 2 to 5 years. Wrap it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

All the utd boys thanking this, **** me you lot really want this league not to continue. Just come out and say it.

Not really no.

Just dont want see Football come back till its safe
    I'm happy wait bit longer so it is complete rather then go in too soon and back square one
    Dont like see people get it as they could die.

I know mad **** right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

If the league is finished now. Liverpool are champions, that is not in doubt. Utd fans just want an asterisk against it for bragging rights.

I am more worried about next season. That will not happen unless a solution is found. Cancelling this season although great for Liverpool is not helping in finding a solution. At least finishing this season will allow the premier League to trial solutions that will have to be in place for years to come.

Edit: the solution should be as safe as possible. Nothing in life is risk free including football.

• Advertisement

No but i work with data, hang on I never waved away the risk to everyone's health, I am just pointing out the risk if getting seriously ill from this if your young and fit is minuscule, that is a fact from the data we have. Do you disagree with this fact.

Below is what you said.

If you are young and fit this thing will hardly bother you.

That is an absolute statement and with all due respect, it is absolute baloney and imo is absolutely waving away the risks to their health.

The risks may be lower to younger people developing serious illness were they to contract C19 but young and other wise healthy people have contracted it and developed serious illness and in some cases died from it. Nobody knows how one person to the next will react to getting the virus. They can feel fine for a few days then it hits them like a tonne of bricks. It will be literally years before the world has a real idea of just exactly how this virus behaves, mutates and the effect it has on particular demographics yet you are bandying around statements that are no more than wishful thinking as if they were law.

Ok your right. No sports for the next 2 to 5 years. Wrap it up.

There you go making more stuff up as I never said no sports for 2-5 years.

Now I’ll await the Data you claim to have on how it doesn’t affect young fit people if you could furnish it please and we can move along thanks

Complete and utter horse****. You do know that (shock, horror) not everyone sees the entire world based on which football club they like.

Post says more about you to be honest.

Can’t believe people are still trotting our that line.

There you go making more stuff up as I never said no sports for 2-5 years.

Now I’ll await the Data you claim to have on how it doesn’t affect young fit people if you could furnish it please and we can move along thanks

How could there possibly be sport before a vaccine though, genuine question.

Please furnish the alleged data you Possess before trying to change the topic or else own up to the fact you made it up as a number of posters have asked you and you keep avoiding the question

Thanks

Below is what you said.

If you are young and fit this thing will hardly bother you.

That is an absolute statement and with all due respect, it is absolute baloney and imo is absolutely waving away the risks to their health.

The risks may be lower to younger people developing serious illness were they to contract C19 but young and other wise healthy people have contracted it and developed serious illness and in some cases died from it. Nobody knows how one person to the next will react to getting the virus. They can feel fine for a few days then it hits them like a tonne of bricks. It will be literally years before the world has a real idea of just exactly how this virus behaves, mutates and the effect it has on particular demographics yet you are bandying around statements that are no more than wishful thinking as if they were law.

Ok my statement was over the top, I'll admit that and retract it. I still think the chances of a professional footballer actually getting the virus with routine testing in the first place and then getting seriously ill are so minuscule that it is worth getting back playing football. How are Italy and Germany contemplating going back in the next few months if its such a risk. Why are arsenal back training in small groups if its such a risk.

Please furnish the alleged data you Possess before trying to change the topic or else own up to the fact you made it up as a number of posters have asked you and you keep avoiding the question

Thanks

Ok what I said was daft and over the top, can we move on from it now.

Ok what I said was daft and over the top, can we move on from it now.

Fair play on the partial admittance but would fantasy and fabricated be more accurate phrases then Daft and over the top as neither are admission the statement was completely made up?

Fair play on the partial admittance but would fantasy and fabricated be more accurate phrases then Daft and over the top as neither are admission the statement was completely made up?

Stop changing the subject, genuine question how do you see football coming back before a vaccine. I'd like to know your opinion.

• Advertisement

I don’t know. I’m not a doctor and I don’t have experience in any sector related to disease prevention. The experts are still coming to terms with this virus. Untill it’s fully understood I can’t see any safe way for sport to restart in any capacity. People I know in pharma on lines say their factory’s research department are flat out working on cures/antivirus/antibiotics

I couldn’t even guess a time line tho

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement