Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Are UEFA also going to give their definitive plan on how to finish this year's CL and EL?

8-10 wrote: »
    Are UEFA also going to give their definitive plan on how to finish this year's CL and EL?

I'd say that they are waiting until the 25th to see what leagues come up with and go from there.
    If leagues give a definite date for resumption or declare them void,then UEFA will have a timeframe to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There’s probably no club over there that would contest that.

I’d imagine there will be a few powerful clubs in the PL that would contest handing out the title with 10 games left in some cases, it waters down every other league title. You win it in the games agreed at the beginning of the season, it doesn’t get any simpler than that really.

Yeah totally. Unless something crazy big happens to disrupt the world on a massive scale and you can use a bit of common sense.

Waters down every other league title? Or else people will just remember this is the one that took place during a global pandemic. Literally no-one will feel like this impacts other leagues in any way whatsoever - especially given that it was the most dominant run-away performance in the history of the league.

I know some people really don’t want them winning it, but it’s going to happen. Whatever way you look at it, they’ll get it. If you call it now and it literally no longer becomes a 38 game season, they win by a landslide. If you extrapolate ppg up to 38 games, they still win it by a landslide. And on top of this, from a cynical POV, if they just straight up end it as you say and leave it at that, every headline will be doom and gloom “PL fails to finish”, “PL gives up”, “PL dead in the water”. If they call it and name a champion, that’s what the headlines will be about, and you end with something approaching a positive story. It’s ideal for the league that someone is so far out ahead that they can claim a winner without any credible complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great news from France. No need for this null and void rubbish being spouted about.

Hopefully the rest of the top leagues follow suit if the league seasons cannot be played behind closed doors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

ricero wrote: »
    Great news from France. No need for this null and void rubbish being spouted about.

Hopefully the rest of the top leagues follow suit if the league seasons cannot be played behind closed doors.
    Great to see Uefa have again backed the completion of league campaign's this season from their latest conference call.

*The integrity of the game is lost forever if season cant be complete*.

You’ve changed your tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What kind of TV deal is in place in France ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah totally. Unless something crazy big happens to disrupt the world on a massive scale and you can use a bit of common sense.

Waters down every other league title? Or else people will just remember this is the one that took place during a global pandemic. Literally no-one will feel like this impacts other leagues in any way whatsoever - especially given that it was the most dominant run-away performance in the history of the league.

I know some people really don’t want them winning it, but it’s going to happen. Whatever way you look at it, they’ll get it. If you call it now and it literally no longer becomes a 38 game season, they win by a landslide. If you extrapolate ppg up to 38 games, they still win it by a landslide. And on top of this, from a cynical POV, if they just straight up end it as you say and leave it at that, every headline will be doom and gloom “PL fails to finish”, “PL gives up”, “PL dead in the water”. If they call it and name a champion, that’s what the headlines will be about, and you end with something approaching a positive story. It’s ideal for the league that someone is so far out ahead that they can claim a winner without any credible complaints.

So Liverpool won it in December but not in April, according to some :pac:

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1255831283885838338?s=21

Even the Mayor of Liverpool knows what would happen if games resume behind closed doors, a comment that was shot down by posters here during the week and accused them of ‘not wanting Liverpool to win the league’

• Advertisement

gstack166 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1255831283885838338?s=21

Even the Mayor of Liverpool knows what would happen if games resume behind closed doors, a comment that was shot down by posters here during the week and accused them of ‘not wanting Liverpool to win the league’

Wouldn’t so much say ‘shot down’, as there were pages and pages and pages of debate about it... everyone recognizes that it’s a likelihood that some will gather there if you don’t do anything. There wouldn’t be ‘riots’ as was claimed here by some at the time, but some people are jerks and do jerk things.
    So it’s good that the mayor is aware of it, so hopefully he and his colleagues can do their utmost to police the situation, and coordinate with the club to dispel people from gathering. They’ve plenty of time to get sorted anyway.

Feel sorry for teams that are relegated if they decide to cut it short.

Wouldn’t so much say ‘shot down’, as there were pages and pages and pages of debate about it... everyone recognizes that it’s a likelihood that some will gather there if you don’t do anything.
    So it’s good that the mayor is aware of it, so hopefully he and his colleagues can do their utmost to police the situation, and coordinate with the club to dispel people from gathering.

Liverpool city mayor and Everton fan Joe Anderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Couldn't disagree more.

1st option should be to finish it no matter when.
    2nd void it and start again next season.

Did you read the article or just hell bent of putting it down to him conspiring against Liverpool because he’s an Everton fan?

He’s stated Liverpool should be awarded the title, so his club allegiance shouldn’t matter, or are you questioning his integrity by assuming if it was a Liverpool supporting mayor he would be willing to jeopardise people’s health by allowing them gather in numbers to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

6 wrote: »

To be honest, in some cases I don't really. Well moreso, one example.

Toulouse in France are bottom of the league, 17 points away from safety with 10 games to go. Their previous form is 17 losses and 1 draw in 18 games.

Do Toulouse deserve relegation or to be rewarded by having another season in the top flight and a chance to start all over again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bundesliga's return pushed back until at least May 16

Something tells me that you'll forget about them very quickly.

Feel sorry for Liverpool not really winning the league myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

RasTa wrote: »

If it makes you sleep better than its all good.

I cant wait to see the league title return to Anfield one way or another :D.

Still think it will be won on the pitch. Too much money in the english game.

Would also be fantastic to smash City's points record.

This is another mental stat from the states. 30m people unemployed since this started

EW2s4PNXQAI3XRn?format=jpg&name=medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Who someone supports shouldn't come into it? That's what I've heard before?

There wouldn’t be ‘riots’ as was claimed here by some at the time

Can't let Liverpool win the league as it would cause riots.

Solution to avoid riots: deny Liverpool the title.

Can't see a flaw in the argument

If it makes you sleep better than its all good.

I cant wait to see the league title return to Anfield one way or another :D.

Still think it will be won on the pitch. Too much money in the english game.

Would also be fantastic to smash City's points record.

Earlier in the year, we had the possibility of Liverpool winning the title at the earliest date in PL history. Now it could be the latest ever win! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Lads, Liverpool don't win the league unless the season restarts and they get to the stage that they mathematically win it.

Other that that if the season is called as it stands then they get awarded the title.

The other option is no winner announced, places in Europe awarded on ppg position and no teams relegated.

I feel that if they award the title they will relegate teams. If they don't relegate they can't award the title.

• Advertisement

Lads, Liverpool don't win the league unless the season restarts and they get to the stage that they mathematically win it.

If the number of games is cut short they would have enough points to mathematically win it.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Earlier in the year, we had the possibility of Liverpool winning the title at the earliest date in PL history. Now it could be the latest ever win! :)

Technically if the league is ended and ye got the title next week,it wasn't won. It was awarded.

The funny thing is,Klopp banged on about wanting a winter break,he got his wish. Had there been no break ye probably would have had the title sewn up before the football ground to a halt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

League title was done and dusted ages ago. If people were really honest with themselves then they wouldn't contest liverpool getting it.

Although just for the lol's and meltdowns it would be interesting to see null and void done :pac:

Other parts of the league such as relegation and champions league spots is where it's a tough and probably unfair call to just award based on standings now

If the number of games is cut short they would have enough points to mathematically win it.

I agree, depends on what way they terminate the season.

Currently with all other Leagues they seem to be using the term "Awarded the Title".

Time will tell but I think its a more accurate description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why is that rubbish?

1. What PSG decide to accept or reject has no impact on what clubs below them do.
    2. You can call final positions as is, but not crown a champion. So positions are determined without a league winner. Juve have said they would not accept the title, but are in first. in Holland two sides finished level on points, but one is in 1st - title has not been given to them.

the statement that PSG not accepting being named champions means clubs below them can't accept euro qualification is utter rubbish.

• Advertisement

I agree, depends on what way they terminate the season.

Currently with all other Leagues they seem to be using the term "Awarded the Title".

Time will tell but I think its a more accurate description.

They seem to be using the term 'declared Champions'

Technically if the league is ended and ye got the title next week,it wasn't won. It was awarded.

The funny thing is,Klopp banged on about wanting a winter break,he got his wish. Had there been no break ye probably would have had the title sewn up before the football ground to a halt.

Awarded or rewarded?

You make it sound like a pity trophy being handed out just to keep them quiet. Do you not think that Liverpool deserve to be champions this season, based on the season so far?

I don't think there's much ground to stand on when arguing against Liverpool being rewarded the title and being 25 points clear. As I've said before, that is literally the easiest football decision in Europe to be made. I think there is a greater concern surrounding relegation/promotion and European spots myself.

They seem to be using the term 'declared Champions'

So we use Declared.. not win.. for now.

Okay

The final wording will be what ever the PL official release is i suppose.

Declared Asterix champions. Covers all bases!

Cricket has called off its "Hundred" comp until 2021.

A game that could be played behind closed doors, on the TV and arguable with the most social distancing between players as you could possibly get.

No, its not safe so its off.

Well done cricket.

So we use Declared.. not win.

Okay

'win Champions' doesn't sound right. But there's also 'declared winners'

As much as I dislike PSG too, they're still the league champions

Works particularly well in France too!

2. You can call final positions as is, but not crown a champion. So positions are determined without a league winner. Juve have said they would not accept the title, but are in first. in Holland two sides finished level on points, but one is in 1st - title has not been given to them.

To be fair, I think what happened in Holland, and what you say may happen in Italy are different to France, England and countries like Scotland where there is a clear and obvious leader. Holland & Italy is too difficult to split, and even Spain too.

Spain, Germany, Italy & England seem to be more open to returning to action than shutting down the leagues.

Holland: top 2 separated by goal difference
    Italy: top 2 separated by 1 point
    France: top 2 separated by 12 points + 1 game in hand
    England: top 2 separated by 25 points - 1 game in hand
    Scotland: top 2 separated by 13 points - 1 game in hand
    Spain: top 2 separated by 2 points
    Bundesliga: top 2 separated by 4 points.

Declared that they have been rewarded with the award of the Asterix Title.

Should keep everyone happy...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So that is now Celtic and PSG crowned champions two leagues decided not to null and void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cricket has called off its "Hundred" comp until 2021.

A game that could be played behind closed doors, on the TV and arguable with the most social distancing between players as you could possibly get.

No, its not safe so its off.

Well done cricket.

It's the first season of the event, running under a new city franchise system rather than the traditional county cricket system. And a completely new format of the game.
    It's entire financial basis was attempting to get people in the door.
    It clearly needs to launch at a better time.

No comparison at all with the EPL.

So that is now Celtic and PSG crowned champions two leagues decided not to null and void.

Have we seen an official release from The french league confirming this?

To be fair, I think what happened in Holland, and what you say may happen in Italy are different to France, England and countries like Scotland where there is a clear and obvious leader. Holland & Italy is too difficult to split, and even Spain too.

Spain, Germany, Italy & England seem to be more open to returning to action than shutting down the leagues.

Holland: top 2 separated by goal difference
    Italy: top 2 separated by 1 point
    France: top 2 separated by 12 points + 1 game in hand
    England: top 2 separated by 25 points - 1 game in hand
    Scotland: top 2 separated by 13 points - 1 game in hand
    Spain: top 2 separated by 2 points
    Bundesliga: top 2 separated by 4 points.

Yes the points differences are different. but that makes zero difference to the comment made by the poster, nor my rebuttal.

You can decide on Euro Qualification and Relegation, without declaring a champion. Its really simple. You just don't declare a champion.

A team can also decide (or declare they are) rejecting the title being awarded to them - without that meaning no one is allowed be qualified for europe.

The statement was utter rubbish.

My comment has nothing to do with whether a team could or should be declared as champions.

To be honest, in some cases I don't really. Well moreso, one example.

Toulouse in France are bottom of the league, 17 points away from safety with 10 games to go. Their previous form is 17 losses and 1 draw in 18 games.

Do Toulouse deserve relegation or to be rewarded by having another season in the top flight and a chance to start all over again?

I expect the bottom club will sue if they're relegated on average points per game - what have they got toulouse?

I expect the bottom club will sue if they're relegated on average points per game - what have they got toulouse?

BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yes the points differences are different. but that makes zero difference to the comment made by the poster, nor my rebuttal.

You can decide on Euro Qualification and Relegation, without declaring a champion. Its really simple. You just don't declare a champion.

A team can also decide (or declare they are) rejecting the title being awarded to them - without that meaning no one is allowed be qualified for europe.

The statement was utter rubbish.

My comment has nothing to do with whether a team could or should be declared as champions.

Exactly. Some of the posts about "if they do A, they must do B", like this one--
    I feel that if they award the title they will relegate teams. If they don't relegate they can't award the title.

--are just flawed logic. They'll award as much as they can get away with in each league, but each choice will be decided on its own merits. If 3 teams were totally cut loose down at the bottom of the league, I think they'd be happy to relegate. As it stands with it being as close as it is, they might not. Equally, if it was tight at the top, I think they might refrain from naming a champion. The only thing they have to declare is the European spots.

It's the first season of the event, running under a new city franchise system rather than the traditional county cricket system. And a completely new format of the game.
    It's entire financial basis was attempting to get people in the door.
    It clearly needs to launch at a better time.

No comparison at all with the EPL.

Plus players spit on the ball to shine it up for bowling.

This is another mental stat from the states. 30m people unemployed since this started

EW2s4PNXQAI3XRn?format=jpg&name=medium

Yeah, it's a total disaster! And that's without anything even close to the social safety net provided here and in England, with furlough/unemployment funding.

On top of that, healthcare is heavily tied into your job in the US, so a huge number of those people are no longer covered. They're all a broken leg, or minor surgery away from lifelong crippling debt.

If this doesn't start finally pushing people away from the "bootstraps" anti-socialist mindset, nothing will.

Exactly. Some of the posts about "if they do A, they must do B", like this one--

--are just flawed logic. They'll award as much as they can get away with in each league, but each choice will be decided on its own merits. If 3 teams were totally cut loose down at the bottom of the league, I think they'd be happy to relegate. As it stands with it being as close as it is, they might not. Equally, if it was tight at the top, I think they might refrain from naming a champion. The only thing they have to declare is the European spots.

Or as little as this might lead to less legal cases after.

Isn't it great we are all entitled to our opinions on the matter until there is an official declaration from the PL.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/jeremysmith98/status/1255865215402627080

followed by:

https://twitter.com/RorySmith/status/1255867581967319042

An easy view into why clubs want to try play out the season if they can, their ability to survive may depend on it.

The french league could be finished, forever, as a result of the season not finishing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement