Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

cool, well aren't you big and smart. or something.

Facts are offensive in a world of emotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

as you are saying is an absolute fact?

And we're all in agreement apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

gstack166 wrote: »
    Im yet to find anyone who said it wasn’t settled?

We’re all in agreement, hand it to Liverpool, put an asterisk next to it and let’s all move on. Everyone happy.

Sounds good to me wrap it up and rename this thread 20/21?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

So your opinion that all the stories that the PL is planning to return in June. That plans around the purchase of testing kits, plans around the number of tests to conduct etc. That is all made up lies.

Sure Aguero saying he is fearful of returning is based on absolutely no information that football is going to return - that actually he is fearful of returning despite there being no chance what so ever at all ever (according to you) that football is returning. Well... what a drama queen he is.

Can you link me stuff of PL people saying footballis 100% not returning anytime soon, as you are saying is an absolute fact?

I disagreed with you & asked you to prove me wrong with source quotes from managers or players & club names of those that confirmed they are planning to return to football in June (You said they were planning to return in June, not me) I said it’s impossible for them to restart it then based on my opinion, You can’t produce it the reports of clubs and players stating what you said so you shift the goalposts and ask me to provide links.

You’re convinced the papers, premier league, governments and clubs are preparing now for football in June so surely it won’t be hard to find me a quote from someone to back you up.

joe_99 wrote: »
    I always throw that number out to test the mindset of people. It's a number that always offends a certain type of person and exposes their agenda even though it is 100% acurate and verifiable.

Should change your name to joe_99.9999999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Who’s plan is it to return in June? Who has put their name to it? What club have stated they intend of resuming in June? That is BS. I’m yet to hear from a player/manager with their name attached to quotes that they expect to be back this season, in fact most snippets that are released anonymously are stating its impossible to do it.

Every soundbite coming out of the Premier League through the media has said that there will be a restart on June 8th, if it is safe to do so. I'm sure you have seen enough articles centred around 'Project Restart'. You actually shared a couple of these articles in this thread so I'm sure you are aware of this "gossip".

Arsenal are back training at their training base, training with social distancing, with a view to moving to more group based training sessions of 5 if the social distancing restrictions are lifted, and testing becomes more widely available.

Brighton & West Ham are doing the same.

Man United are setting a date of May 18th to return to team based training.

Chelsea have told players such as Willian, Pedro, Pedro Alonso, Kepa, Emerson & Pulisic to return to the UK, with a view to returning to training.

There are plenty examples of clubs making plans to return to training soon, so that the June 8th start can take place. When Britain make an announcement on May 7th with their plan moving forwards as a nation, there will be a lot more information available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I disagreed with you & asked you to prove me wrong with source quotes from managers or players & club names of those that confirmed they are planning to return to football in June (You said they were planning to return in June, not me) I said it’s impossible for them to restart it then based on my opinion, You can’t produce it the reports of clubs and players stating what you said so you shift the goalposts and ask me to provide links.

You’re convinced the papers, premier league, governments and clubs are preparing now for football in June so surely it won’t be hard to find me a quote from someone to back you up.

You did not claim it was just your opinion. You said it has been obvious for ages that this season is finished and people are just ignoring all the mass of evidence that it is finished.

this is what you said:
    This season is lost, it won’t be finished, countless posters have said it for weeks now and given clear evidence why it won’t be but it’s still not good enough for some.

All the reports from the PL meetings state clubs are still working to finish the season. Woodward said at a fans forum recently the club are commited to trying to finish this season.

Liverpool said yesterday they have been working with partners around what would be needed to finish the season.

But no, according to you this is all BS, its clear the season is finished.

So answer this one question.

If the season is finished, why has there been no official announcement by the PL, the FA or any club, that the season is finished.

Is it because the season is not finished?

8-10 wrote: »
    again.

I'm not gonna quote all your post no need but in all seriousness how can deadline be kept pushed back? I want football back as much as any other fan here I'm sure but at some stage it it has to be called off.

Some are suggesting that this season could be finished as late as next year, that's not going to happen. Yes we can say that players won't be allowed move but do people expect clubs that have no source of income to pay players that are out of contract just so there is a possibility of finishing a season next year? It's not going to happen. Over 1500 players are out of contract this summer.

If UK extends the lockdown to end of May I personally think that's going to be the final nail in the coffin for this season they will do similar to France.

No amount of testing or anything is going to keep clubs in business that were depending on prize money and TV revenue and season ticket sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

In Spain the government decided on a protocol for a return to play in which clubs could be back in training on 11 May, though that is dependent on the approval of the department of health. In Germany, meanwhile, which had been anticipated to resume play by 9 May, the chancellor Angela Merkel pushed back a decision on any resumption to next week.

They would want to get a move on in the UK for announcing a date.

However this is happening today so might expect something later
    At a meeting with its shareholder clubs on Friday, the Premier League will discuss new medical protocols devised to ensure a safe return to training and antigen testing for all players is one of the proposals. No defining votes are expected on training or return-to-play protocols. Instead it will provide an opportunity for clubs to air their thoughts on possible next steps while the league waits for the go-ahead from government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We may find out more at some stage today.

From the BBC
    English Premier League clubs remain committed to playing this season's 92 remaining fixtures, behind closed doors. The English Football League - which oversees the three tiers below - is waiting for government guidance. Premier League officials will join a video conference on Friday, which will include Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, to discuss the medical and safety aspects of a return.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    They would want to get a move on in the UK for announcing a date.

However this is happening today so might expect something later

Nah, gstack says the clubs aren't planning to return, so your second quote there is clearly made up.

You did not claim it was just your opinion. You said it has been obvious for ages that this season is finished and people are just ignoring all the mass of evidence that it is finished.

this is what you said:

All the reports from the PL meetings state clubs are still working to finish the season. Woodward said at a fans forum recently the club are commited to trying to finish this season.

Liverpool said yesterday they have been working with partners around what would be needed to finish the season.

But no, according to you this is all BS, its clear the season is finished.

So answer this one question.

If the season is finished, why has there been no official announcement by the PL, the FA or any club, that the season is finished.

Still not one single link to a single source from a player or a football club manager that states they’re preparing to be back playing football in June, 3rd time asking you. Please provide it when you get a chance.

From the BBC
    English Premier League clubs remain committed to playing this season's 92 remaining fixtures, behind closed doors. The English Football League - which oversees the three tiers below - is waiting for government guidance. Premier League officials will join a video conference on Friday, which will include Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, to discuss the medical and safety aspects of a return.

400 fixtures to be played. I would say zero chance.

Nah, gstack says the clubs aren't planning to return, so your second quote there is clearly made up.

Why are you making things up? I said I believe the season won’t be finished and I said not one player or club manager has stated they’ll be back playing football in June and are preparing for that.

Please provide the information I’m missing that some seem is wildly available to me to make me change my mind, besides smart remarks just because you don’t agree with what I said.

RasTa wrote: »
    400 fixtures to be played. I would say zero chance.

92 Premier league games, the PL will only care about their own games and not the 300 odd football league games

Still not one single link to a single source from a player or a football club manager that states they’re preparing to be back playing football in June, 3rd time asking you. Please provide it when you get a chance.

Look a post or two up for reports of the PL meeting today including the culture secretary to discuss the processes of returning to play.

But You don't believe that, so whatever.

You've also not provided quotes stating football is 100% not returning or planning to return. So right back at ya.

Its reported stories vs your opinion stated as fact.

Why are you making things up? I said I believe the season won’t be finished and I said not one player or club manager has stated they’ll be back playing football in June and are preparing for that.

Please provide the information I’m missing that some seem is wildly available to me to make me change my mind, besides smart remarks just because you don’t agree with what I said.

You said all the evidence says this season is finished.

you said reports that clubs and the PL are planning to return are BS.

Look a post or two up for reports of the PL meeting today including the culture secretary to discuss the processes of returning to play.

But You don't believe that, so whatever.

You've also not provided quotes stating football is 100% not returning or planning to return. So right back at ya.

Its reported stories vs your opinion stated as fact.

I never once said I don’t believe they’re meeting today, course I believe it. I’ve seen quotes with names attached of people attending so it’s obvious it’s happening, I’m just looking for the same where it says football clubs are preparing to resume in June but as of yet your still to provide it.

I also never said football wasn’t planning to return, where did I say that? Course it’s planning to return. I don’t know how many times I have to say it, I said I’m yet to see a player or manager state with their name attached that they are planning to play football in June.

What is wrong with-that statement and if it’s wrong then why can’t you produce 1 single link with a comment or statement to prove otherwise from a single player or manager.

You are demanding links but your source appears to be this forum. This forum has no input into the final decision of the PL.
    countless posters have said it for weeks now

A final decision is not made either way on the season. We should know more this month.

• Advertisement

I never once said I don’t believe they’re meeting today, course I believe it. I’ve seen quotes with names attached of people attending so it’s obvious it’s happening, I’m just looking for the same where it says football clubs are preparing to resume in June but as of yet your still to provide it.

I also never said football wasn’t planning to return, where did I say that? Course it’s planning to return. I don’t know how many times I have to say it, I said I’m yet to see a player or manager state with their name attached that they are planning to play football in June.

What is wrong with-that statement and if it’s wrong then why can’t you produce 1 single link with a comment or statement to prove otherwise from a single player or manager.
    Even if June 8th turned out to be wrong. Your contention is that clubs are not planning to complete this season. You have stated this season is finished, will not be completed, and that all evidence points to that.

June 8th could be wrong, and it doesn't matter. As example, Woodward said united want to complete this season.
    No decisions have been made yet but we think it is possible that the initial games, particularly the ones related to finishing or trying to complete this season, will probably have to be played behind closed doors. But that is not confirmed yet.

Trying to complete this season is still an objective. But all the evidecne is the season will not be completed, so why would there still be an objective to do so?

If the clubs are still looking to complete this season, then all evidence does not point to it being finished and discussion of how the season could be completed is valid.

92 Premier league games, the PL will only care about their own games and not the 300 odd football league games

Well they are going to have to care, not just football meeting the government today.

6 wrote: »
    You are demanding links but your source appears to be this forum. This forum has no input into the final decision of the PL.

A final decision is not made either way on the season. We should know more this month.

I was told football clubs, players, and managers were preparing to play football in June. I was told that. I asked for the link with the quotes by a player, club or manager that backed it up and can’t get it.

My source for the season being finished is my common sense, they can’t get it done by the August deadline, a deadline handed by UEFA with name attached.

On top of that I’m yet to hear any player this morning refute Agueros claim that players are scared to play, that makes me believe he’s speaking for them and if that’s the case then football is finished for the foreseeable. You can’t play football with footballers who won’t play if they’re worried for their health.

Of course I’ll hold my hands up if you find me a player, club, manager that says him, his team-mates/players aren’t worried about playing, are preparing to play next month & expect the season to be completed.

I was told football clubs, players, and managers were preparing to play football in June. I was told that. I asked for the link with the quotes by a player, club or manager that backed it up and can’t get it.

My source for the season being finished is my common sense, they can’t get it done by the August deadline, a deadline handed by UEFA with name attached.

On top of that I’m yet to hear any player this morning refute Agueros claim that players are scared to play, that makes me believe he’s speaking for them and if that’s the case then football is finished for the foreseeable. You can’t play football with footballers who won’t play if they’re worried for their health.

Of course I’ll hold my hands up if you find me a player, club, manager that says him, his team-mates/players aren’t worried about playing, are preparing to play next month & expect the season to be completed.

I have no issues with that being your opinion and I don't dispute the liklihood of it.

I have an issue with your assertion that it's settled and we're all in agreement.

Many think there's a possibility, however remote, of restarting

I have no issues with that being your opinion and I don't dispute the liklihood of it.

I have an issue with your assertion that it's settled and we're all in agreement.

But I never said it’s settled and we’re all in agreement it’s all over did I? The quote your referencing was my reply to the comment that ‘it’s settled then, Liverpool are the champions’

I said I’ve not seen anyone say that Liverpool being champions wasn’t settled, I’m in agreement with that. I’ve stated for weeks since this started they should be crowned champions whatever the outcome is. You’ve took a statement I made and twisted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It’s a pity Germany have now stalled on a decision about the season. Just when things looked up. Going by Quotes by Dortmund CEO they hope have it done by a June 30th but if it starts later than end of May it looks like it be finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

On this point I imagine its to do with breaking contracts with suppliers/ TV companies. If the premier league announce they are cancelling then they are breaking contracts.
    If the government announce that no football can be played then its not the league breaking the contract. That would be my guess anyway.

Clubs could be back training on the chance that the league resumes as it is almost impossible to say what the UK government will do.
    I think there's a chance we see the premier league back but i think its more likely this season is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

A number that is rarely said but good news to get it confirmed

One million recovered from Covid-19
    More than one million people have now officially recovered from Covid-19, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University.

The number of confirmed cases is more than three million. The vast majority will recover - but there is a lag between an infection being noted, and the recovery being confirmed.

dybala is not one of those 1m. hopefully he makes a full recovery

On this point I imagine its to do with breaking contracts with suppliers/ TV companies. If the premier league announce they are cancelling then they are breaking contracts.
    If the government announce that no football can be played then its not the league breaking the contract. That would be my guess anyway.

Clubs could be back training on the chance that the league resumes as it is almost impossible to say what the UK government will do.
    I think there's a chance we see the premier league back but i think its more likely this season is finished.

Dunno if the government deciding something would have that contract impact.

Canal+ and BeIn terminated their TV contracts on the 19/20 season for France, and it was the Government that effectively made that decision.

In the UK it would be the same, the government would not decide the season is finsihed, they would only decide football cannot return before a set date - it would be the PL and the clubs who then decide that set date makes it impractical to finish the season.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Every soundbite coming out of the Premier League through the media has said that there will be a restart on June 8th, if it is safe to do so. I'm sure you have seen enough articles centred around 'Project Restart'. You actually shared a couple of these articles in this thread so I'm sure you are aware of this "gossip".

Arsenal are back training at their training base, training with social distancing, with a view to moving to more group based training sessions of 5 if the social distancing restrictions are lifted, and testing becomes more widely available.

Brighton & West Ham are doing the same.

Man United are setting a date of May 18th to return to team based training.

Chelsea have told players such as Willian, Pedro, Pedro Alonso, Kepa, Emerson & Pulisic to return to the UK, with a view to returning to training.

There are plenty examples of clubs making plans to return to training soon, so that the June 8th start can take place. When Britain make an announcement on May 7th with their plan moving forwards as a nation, there will be a lot more information available.

if there is a restart by june 8th, will the players get a preseason (entirely different from training)?

that should happen now.

the attitude of 'fukkit, they'll be grand', is awful.

if there is a restart by june 8th, will the players get a preseason (entirely different from training)?

that should happen now.

The apparent plan/hope is to return to training (modified) next week or the week after, to gear up for a June return.

Chelsea have seemingly told their players who went back home to be back in the UK by sunday.

• Advertisement

you should start doing the lotto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This problem is being presented as a contest between "finish this season vs start next season". It's a false dichotomy imo. The current public health landscape is going to involve waves of infection and periods of lockdown that coincide with same. So we'll get past the first wave over the next couple of months (hopefully) and gradually loosen lock down measures in phases as part of that process. Somewhere in there will be a window for resumption of sporting activities behind closed doors, we hope.

What will inevitably happen is a second wave of infection and a resumption of lock down measures. Then loosening, then another wave and so on.

For professional football, this essentially means short windows within which a spate of games can be played. As such, the idea that cancelling the end of the current season will allow the next season to start and complete fundamentally misunderstands the situation. It is highly unlikely that a full 38 game season can be completed between now and the end of 2021. It is completely fanciful that European club tournaments can complete in full in the usual manner within that time frame.

However, it may be possible to finish the current season before the end of this year. Maybe, if they're lucky.

The entire "debate", such as it is, is pure nonsense therefore. An argument over incomplete information and unknowns fought on an entirely invalid premise.

What I can say with some degree of certainty is that if clubs are depending on next season starting and finishing in full to survive they're going bust.

The apparent plan/hope is to return to training (modified) next week or the week after, to gear up for a June return.

Chelsea have seemingly told their players who went back home to be back in the UK by sunday.

i mean playing preseason matches to slowly regain match fitness, so as not to risk player injuries. when will that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

From the BBC

From guardian
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/01/championship-plan-hold-play-offs-even-if-season-not-completed-promote-leeds-west-brom
    The English Football League’s preferred contingency for promotion from the Championship if the season cannot be completed as normal would be to promote Leeds and West Brom, who are clear in first and second place, and to play the play-offs as per current positions to determine the final spot.

The play-off semi-finals would see Fulham face Preston and Brentford take on Nottingham Forest and could be played as one-off ties on neutral turf behind closed doors, rather than the usual two legs.

The Championship occupies a kind of middle position between the Premier League, which is confident of finding the ways and means to finish the season, and League One and League Two, whose best efforts may not be enough. There are growing fears for the bottom two divisions because – with no widespread broadcast market for their games – playing behind closed doors would be a massive drain on finances.

you should start doing the lotto

Is the lotto ever won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

6 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for teams that are relegated if they decide to cut it short.

And that is what it comes down to.

Is the lotto ever won?

it is, but the odds are so against you it is sometimes called a tax on stupidity.

*not calling you stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This problem is being presented as a contest between "finish this season vs start next season". It's a false dichotomy imo. The current public health landscape is going to involve waves of infection and periods of lockdown that coincide with same. So we'll get past the first wave over the next couple of months (hopefully) and gradually loosen lock down measures in phases as part of that process. Somewhere in there will be a window for resumption of sporting activities behind closed doors, we hope.

What will inevitably happen is a second wave of infection and a resumption of lock down measures. Then loosening, then another wave and so on.

For professional football, this essentially means short windows within which a spate of games can be played. As such, the idea that cancelling the end of the current season will allow the next season to start and complete fundamentally misunderstands the situation. It is highly unlikely that a full 38 game season can be completed between now and the end of 2021. It is completely fanciful that European club tournaments can complete in full in the usual manner within that time frame.

However, it may be possible to finish the current season before the end of this year. Maybe, if they're lucky.

The entire "debate", such as it is, is pure nonsense therefore. An argument over incomplete information and unknowns fought on an entirely invalid premise.

What I can say with some degree of certainty is that if clubs are depending on next season starting and finishing in full to survive they're going bust.

That's a great point about Europe.

I dont think Euro 21 will happen either. Too much travelling.

it is, but the odds are so against you it is sometimes called a tax on stupidity.

*not calling you stupid

I'm exceptionally stupid don't worry about it

that should happen now.

FIFA are also looking into allowing teams to make 5 subs in each game to help that too basically changing half the outfield team in each game

• Advertisement

TBH, i'm not even sure if we were debating the same point, or against it.

its always a good soundbite - a tax on stupidity; without offering anything of value whatsoever.

Rugby league got a bailout. Not sure how long those funds will last https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/01/rugby-league-gets-16m-emergency-loan-from-government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

But if you finish this season sometime in 2021 is it really the same season? Clubs have different squads.

I'm in favour of finishing this season now. Its not because i don't want Liverpool winning the league. Its because the lower league team i support cant take the uncertainty. They can't keep paying players indefinitely in the chances a season starts up again sometime. So what do they do then, let all their players go and then they are screwed if the league does start up again in 4 weeks.

If you end this season now then you can have agreements in place before the start of next season so everyone is aware of the rules if the season cant finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Extract from a Times article
    Football matches would be played behind closed doors all next season under plans being considered by the sport’s authorities.

Senior figures believe that games in the top four divisions, including the Premier League, will be held without crowds until Christmas as Britain tries to control the coronavirus pandemic.

They think this could continue until May next year if government permission for mass gatherings is tied to production of a widely available vaccine. Other sports, music festivals and concerts would also be banned if Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson takes such a hardline stance.

Jonas Baer-Hoffman, secretary-general of the international footballers’ union Fifpro, said: “In terms of fans being back inside stadiums that might likely not be possible until people are vaccinated. So it may well be that we play a full season without spectators.”

TBH, i'm not even sure if we were debating the same point, or against it.

its always a good soundbite - a tax on stupidity; without offering anything of value whatsoever.

https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1256202072237780993?s=21

If he is correct then lower league clubs are going to wall regardless of whenever this season finishes/next season starts.

joe_99 wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/premier-league-clubs-to-hold-may-7-vote-on-project-restart-9jhwqtmwp

If that is true then Liverpool will just be awarded the title. No way WH are voting for a resumption.

So what’s happening with the meeting today? Scoring it a 0-0 draw again with the replay next Thursday where the same score line will be the result as the same meetings for the last 5 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Oliver Dowden.

"We just kicked off 1st of many detailed meetings to plan for a safe return of elite sport behind closed doors when, & only when, it is safe to do so on the basis of expert medical advice. Lots to consider, but today we step up planning."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

But if you finish this season sometime in 2021 is it really the same season? Clubs have different squads.

I'm in favour of finishing this season now. Its not because i don't want Liverpool winning the league. Its because the lower league team i support cant take the uncertainty. They can't keep paying players indefinitely in the chances a season starts up again sometime. So what do they do then, let all their players go and then they are screwed if the league does start up again in 4 weeks.

If you end this season now then you can have agreements in place before the start of next season so everyone is aware of the rules if the season cant finish.

Your lower league team is going bust, whether they "finish" this season now or not.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Oliver Dowden.

"We just kicked off 1st of many detailed meetings to plan for a safe return of elite sport behind closed doors when, & only when, it is safe to do so on the basis of expert medical advice. Lots to consider, but today we step up planning."

it will be interesting to see if they are transparent with the criteria for resumption.

i am guessing not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement