Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Reports the Bundesliga are considering cancelling the season. No champion, no relegation.

A bit tighter in the EPL than the Bundesliga.
    I think that the decent thing would be for the other 19 clubs to agree that Liverpool won the league and let them be crowned champions.
    If needs be, schedule 2 of their fixtures against mid table teams that agree in advance not to turn up and forfeit the fixture, so that they get the 6 points they need.
    Void everything else.
    I'm a United Fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Reports the Bundesliga are considering cancelling the season. No champion, no relegation.

Bayern Munich's game this weekend is currently going ahead so some conflicting reports out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

8-10 wrote: »
    God help this forum

Not when it starts but how it restarts

I'd be surprised if it's as long as October if the idea is to let the peak subside. If it is a case of only restarting when the cases hit zero and everyone is recovered, then we may never see football played again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Bayern Munich's game this weekend is currently going ahead so some conflicting reports out there.
    Rumminige the Bayern chairman just finished the pre matchday press conference

Made a point very strongly that the next TV cheque hasnt been paid over yet and that any decision on Monday (meeting of the clubs to decide the next move) should take consideration of that fact AND that small clubs will be driven over the edge if that cash isnt forthcoming.

in a nutshell, if theres no games then Sky will not pay, and if sky doesnt pay, clubs will quickly go bust.

With that in mind, I cant see the season being cancelled. After the next round theres only 7 to go so even if its a mad scramble in May and June (presuming the euros get postponed) and deal with the cup then in the Autumn or as a season kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dfx- wrote: »
    we may never see football played again.

Champions of the World Emeritus

Not a bad way to bow out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Made a point very strongly that the next TV cheque hasnt been paid over yet and that any decision on Monday (meeting of the clubs to decide the next move) should take consideration of that fact AND that small clubs will be driven over the edge if that cash isnt forthcoming.

in a nutshell, if theres no games then Sky will not pay, and if sky doesnt pay, clubs will quickly go bust.

With that in mind, I cant see the season being cancelled. After the next round theres only 7 to go so even if its a mad scramble in May and June (presuming the euros get postponed) and deal with the cup then in the Autumn or as a season kick off.

Pretty much my thoughts, there will be a world and life still after this whenever it ends. The wage to turnover ratio of some clubs in the PL is unmanagable without the TV money. Will players take a wage cut? Highly unlikely.

The leagues have to be played out when ever that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If football isn't played Sky don't get paid by advertisers.

Everyone has a skin in this game and a hard luck story. I don't know what the answer is because the last thing anyone wants to see is clubs going to the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

This is all mental.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

imo this virus is at least 9 months from being finished. We are no where near the peak of this - this is just the beginning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If football isn't played Sky don't get paid by advertisers.

Everyone has a skin in this game and a hard luck story. I don't know what the answer is because the last thing anyone wants to see is clubs going to the wall.

The don't get paid by subscribers either. If season's are cancelled everyone will cancel their subscriptions. When seasons are paused for a few weeks they'll string people along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

rob316 wrote: »
    Pretty much my thoughts, there will be a world and life still after this whenever it ends. The wage to turnover ratio of some clubs in the PL is unmanagable without the TV money. Will players take a wage cut? Highly unlikely.

The leagues have to be played out when ever that will be.

This whole thing might see a resetting of how things are valued and what people wish to spend their money on.

We all know the money in the top end of sports is obscene, it might start to normalise somewhat as people take stock of Shi+ that actually matters, because it's not football as much as I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Just thinking the amount of cases the UK must currently really have. The only reason we are hearing about the football cases is because they are all getting tested. Footballers wouldnt be particularly high risk compared to your average person that needs to use public transport and spend their day stuck in an office. Its obviously rampant in the UK at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Just thinking the amount of cases the UK must currently really have. The only reason we are hearing about the football cases is because they are all getting tested. Footballers wouldnt be particularly high risk compared to your average person that needs to use public transport and spend their day stuck in an office. Its obviously rampant in the UK at the minute.

And as a few others have said, that's before the Cheltenham people spread.

Going to be ridiculous high then. People thinking they've a comedown from drugs/alcohol etc thinking they're fine and then going about there daily business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Hyzepher wrote: »
    imo this virus is at least 9 months from being finished. We are no where near the peak of this - this is just the beginning.

Sorry, but can you just stop with this nonsense. Unless you have some specialty in the area, your opinion (like mine) counts for NOTHING.

It's not helpful to anyone and these type of posts contribute to the general disinformation and confusion which idiots repeat ad nauseam to give themselves some sort of self worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hyzepher wrote: »

Twice that from being finished, maybe longer. The earliest a known and licenced vaccine can be ready for production will be in about 12-15 months, then you have to produce it, distribute it and administer it to the populus. Each part of that chain takes time, esp the last bit if governments judge it's better to adopt a universal application, though obviously the high risk groups (over 60s, chronic illness, suppressed immunity, pregnant, doctors/nurses) come first in any event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

That's actually untrue. You only get tested if a doctor certifies that you meet the risk criteria for testing. The notion that clubs are constantly having their players and staff tested en masse is a myth.

This article is from yesterday:
    The Athletic understands several clubs have tried and failed to have their players tested as the public authorities are prioritising those who have come into direct contact with a carrier or visited a high-risk country, and you cannot have the tests done privately. There is no jumping the queue in a national crisis.

https://theathletic.com/1669393/2020/03/13/coronavirus-and-football-games-closes-doors-euros-champions-league/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

MaceFace wrote: »
    Sorry, but can you just stop with this nonsense. Unless you have some specialty in the area, your opinion (like mine) counts for NOTHING.

It's not helpful to anyone and these type of posts contribute to the general disinformation and confusion which idiots repeat ad nauseam to give themselves some sort of self worth.

Unfortunately its the reality of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That's actually untrue. You only get tested if a doctor certifies that you meet the risk criteria for testing. The notion that clubs are constantly having their players and staff tested en masse is a myth.

This article is from yesterday:

https://theathletic.com/1669393/2020/03/13/coronavirus-and-football-games-closes-doors-euros-champions-league/

If you think that Premier League clubs are having their players tested via the public system.... you can guarantee they'll be having their multimillion pound assets tested privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Cancelled my sports this morning with sky, they told me it would be back April 3rd. I said we both know that wont happen. She told me if they are closed because of the virus I wont be able to get my football back on the 3rd. I said if ye are closed we have bigger issues than football. She said fair enough I'll cancel it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Twice that from being finished, maybe longer. The earliest a known and licenced vaccine can be ready for production will be in about 12-15 months, then you have to produce it, distribute it and administer it to the populus. Each part of that chain takes time, esp the last bit if governments judge it's better to adopt a universal application, though obviously the high risk groups (over 60s, chronic illness, suppressed immunity, pregnant, doctors/nurses) come first in any event.

The road to an effective treatment may be quicker however

Maybe, There are labs working on combination therapies right now. Sometimes it turns out the silver (plated) bullet already exists and is actually two separate "active ingredients" which together work as a treatment.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Cancelled my sports this morning with sky, they told me it would be back April 3rd. I said we both know that wont happen. She told me if they are closed because of the virus I wont be able to get my football back on the 3rd. I said if ye are closed we have bigger issues than football. She said fair enough I'll cancel it now.

They are unreal. I cancelled mine last year. I literally had to tell ur man to stop trying to coax me out of it. Process the cancellation and I'm putting the call on mute until it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

niallo27 wrote: »

Did they say you wont be eligible for discounts if it comes back? And saying this after they put you on hold to definitely not confirm what to do with a supervisor? Cos that's what happened me. Said theyd be dishing out discounts for people to sign up whenever it returns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

They are unreal. I cancelled mine last year. I literally had to tell ur man to stop trying to coax me out of it. Process the cancellation and I'm putting the call on mute until it's done.

I wish they'd bring in a law that if you offer an online way to add subscriptions that you must offer an online way to unsubscribe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BT not offering any refunds for this either, will fill schedule with WWE and Sports films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

BT not offering any refunds for this either, will fill schedule with WWE and Sports films

A bunch of sweaty men rolling around when they haven't been hit?

Be just like football is still on so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Cancelled my sport there with Sky. Wasn't sure if I was in a contract or not but it's gone now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Mushy wrote: »
    Did they say you wont be eligible for discounts if it comes back? And saying this after they put you on hold to definitely not confirm what to do with a supervisor? Cos that's what happened me. Said theyd be dishing out discounts for people to sign up whenever it returns

She was actually ok, usual crap then fair enough I'll cancel it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The first bit of good news in an absolutly ****e week - Arteta is fealing better - excellent news - from a blue
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51878050

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Why are people paying sky for sports packages in 2020 when you can get a box with all channels for 12 months for the same price as sky and bt charge for a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why are people paying sky for sports packages in 2020 when you can get a box with all channels for 12 months for the same price as sky and bt charge for a month

Some people don't enjoy funding criminality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

thebaz wrote: »
    The first bit of good news in an absolutly ****e week - Arteta is fealing better - excellent news - from a blue
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51878050

Him being young and fit was certainly a help in him feeling better,I would be getting really worried if he couldn't fight it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Some people don't enjoy funding criminality.

Rupert Murdoch is the biggest criminal going.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If people didn't pay sky for sports packages, then there wouldn't be any sky sports to pirate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Oat23 wrote: »

[inserts customary Murdoch hasn't owned any part of Sky since 2018 comment here]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In my case, it's a new estate with no phone lines installed to get broadband yet so internet through 3 sim card is diabolical.

As soon as can get broadband in, will be changing totally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Multiple reasons.

There is no come back with an illegal service, if it's gone it's gone.

Quality issues, you have no guarantee what quality of stream you will be getting.

People might have poor broadband.

Personally I'm not a fan for paying for an illegal service. I'd watch free illegal streams any day and suffer the poor quality, buffering,dead links etc, but I would not pay for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why buy anything? Just get some local scummer to rob whatever you need for a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

Does anyone think this season could be finished in late summer/Autumn and start next season late and have it slightly more condensed eg scrap international breaks for friendlies and Nations league. No league cup etc. A Champions league and Europa with less teams for a season. They got too big anyway. There will be ramifications beyond this season anyway no matter what way they do it.

• Advertisement

henke wrote: »
    Does anyone think this season could be finished in late summer/Autumn and start next season late and have it slightly more condensed eg scrap international breaks for friendlies and Nations league. No league cup etc. A Champions league and Europa with less teams for a season. They got too big anyway.

No, there's rules in place and we'll have to wait until the UEFA meeting on Tuesday for as near to a definitive answer as we can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Oat23 wrote: »

No fan of his but that doesn’t excuse people funding criminal gangs.

Like all the cokeheads who don’t think they contribute to the gangland killings.

The indo is a rag and both those lads aren't credible whatsoever. There's better in the atlethic and telegraph.

Its all speculation at this point until UEFA rule.

Is the telegraph and some lad on Twitter more reliable?

Let's apply some credibility to it

ITK twitter accounts

I remember getting hammered for sharing a very credible source only a few weeks ago.
    Not gonna dig it out but it's there with a simple search it can be found.

Funny how this very similar situation is not being questioned by the exact same posters who are now backing a similar source in the same light

The hypocrisy continues :)

ITK twitter accounts

I remember getting hammered for sharing a very credible source only a few weeks ago.

Funny how this very similar situation is not being questioned by the exact same posters who are now backing a similar source in the same light

The van dijk leaving guy? There is plenty bluffers on twitter who make educated guesses on things.
    Remember that account Duncan Jenkins? He even got a visit from Liverpools PR officer and was threatened I believe? He didn't have a single ITK source.

Ya guys like Burt in the telegraph I would consider credible.

Ah Rob,you are picking and choosing media articles to suit your agenda.
    For a while there you started to sound reasonable after all the hysteria but quickly are reverting to type while all around you are accepting the situation.

Ah Rob,you are picking and choosing media articles to suit your agenda.
    For a while there you started to sound reasonable after all the hysteria but quickly are reverting to type while all around you are accepting the situation.

I spent more time posting about the consequences for the rest of the league than Liverpool. The indo is a rag, a tabloid I dont see anything wrong in saying that.
    Twitter is a medium not a source.

My best mate is a long suffering leeds fan I'd be gutted for them if they don't go up which it looks like they will.

Im avid that you have to finish out the leagues some way or another until you start the next or there isnt any credibility to the following one.

Over 75% is done its not like its December where they're wouldn't be much protest to voiding the league. You can't just forget this season.

rob316 wrote: »
    I spent more time posting about the consequences for the rest of the league than Liverpool. The indo is a rag, a tabloid I dont see anything wrong in saying that.
    Twitter is a medium not a source.

My best mate is a long suffering leeds fan I'd be gutted for them if they don't go up which it looks like they will.

Im avid that you have to finish out the leagues some way or another until you start the next or there isnt any credibility to the following one.

Over 75% is done its not like its December where they're wouldn't be much protest to voiding the league. You can't just forget this season.

75% is not 100%

That's like a woman saying she's a bit pregnant and should have a baby anyway.

What about relegation, UCL qualifications? These are also important to those involved.

75% is not 100%

That's like a woman saying she's a bit pregnant and should have a baby anyway.

What about relegation, UCL qualifications? These are also important to those involved.

What a ridiculous analogy.

Go back through my posts. I've spent the day posting about those issues. Those are bigger problems to solve than Liverpool been crowned champions.

Sky will not pay the PL for an incomplete season. If you write off a league then they will be entitled to the season for nothing. Could you imagine 150m written off most clubs balance sheets?

Rendering the league void is the nuclear option for every club in the efl and pl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ITK twitter accounts

Yeah you linked a guy that said VVD was leaving this summer and joining juventus. It was all arranged months ago. Before any virus made its way to these shores. So no virus affected the transfer whatsoever

We have not forgotten. It was arranged as you happily said, and the transfer is done. So we should hear some announcement in the next few weeks or months. don't worry, we will be sure to keep it in mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement