Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Another footballer can't stick to the lockdown rules, if you cant stick to the rules don't take pictures :pac:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52524677

Some players are just silly.

I remember reading somewhere of one who thinks this Covid19 is spread by 5G. Can't think of the player at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

So continue the men’s but void the ladies for safety? Hardly seems like the integral thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

harsh on kalou...

The Bundesliga club said the incident came after the team returned negative tests for coronavirus, which Kalou reacted to by shaking the hands of his team-mates, contrary to instructions from medical staff.

so they all test negative, but still cant touch them? how will they play football?

10 players from the top 2 leagues in germany have also tested positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Peterborough's (boooooooooooo) chairman has come up with some good ideas for the EFL clubs. Basically looking for an advance on tv money, with a sweetener for Sky of 10% discount on what they're currently paying. Even more sensible would be salary cap and maximum fee % for agents. Northampton's (yaaaaaaay) chairman has also said much lower contract offers are going to be the reality for the next couple of years at least. Unsurprisingly.

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1257384994495967234?s=20

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So continue the men’s but void the ladies for safety? Hardly seems like the integral thing to do.

I mean, it’s the same reason as not completing the lower leagues in England for men either. The cost of running vs the money to be earnt are huge factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

10 players from the top 2 leagues in germany have also tested positive.

Hopefully the 10 people can make a full recovery. But, those 10 people at the clubs in the top 2 divisions are not necessarily all players as that information has not been released yet.

10 positive cases from 1724 people tested cases across 36 clubs. That's a positive % of 0.005% of all people tested.

The people that have tested positive will be isolated from the rest of the squads and another round of testing will be undertaken again next week on the remaining squad members and staff before any return to training can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

RasTa is thread-banned, I've updated the first post.

To explain:
    RasTa wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Liverpool not really winning the league myself

This is not acceptable.

Condition of re-opening this thread was:

Ok, the thread is open on condition that this is in the common interests of soccer to discuss what happens next. Any sniping or trolling or tribalism will be met with a no questions asked removal of posting rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

According to latest reports in Germany from tonight the federal and state governments have agreed that the Bundesliga 1&2 can continue from next weekend (15/05), obviously without spectators.

Formal announcement to be made on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

DubDani wrote: »
    According to latest reports in Germany from tonight the federal and state governments have agreed that the Bundesliga 1&2 can continue from next weekend (15/05), obviously without spectators.

Formal announcement to be made on Wednesday.

Wahey.. footy on the TV

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Trigger wrote: »
    Wahey.. footy on the TV

Should be an improvement on having to watch Belarusian games!

Bundesliga is Premier Sports or BT Sports? With the UFC on Saturday night also, things are looking up from a purely entertainment perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spain's footballers to return to training this week, La Liga confirms

Return is start of month-long process towards playing
    Plan is to start first and second division in mid-June

La Liga has confirmed that Spain’s footballers will go back to training this week, the first step in a month-long process towards a return to competition. The hope is that First and Second Division games can begin in mid-June. It is not yet clear how competition in the third tier down will be resolved, with a proposal currently in place to play only a set of accelerated play-offs involving the top four rather than any regular season games.

Training grounds will be prepared, disinfected and inspected over the next two days — a process which is already under way — and players will undergo Covid-19 antibody tests before returning.

In the first phase players will work alone, arriving at the facilities already in their kit. There will be no contact with coaching staff or each other. Small group sessions of not more than six players together will begin in the following phase. In the final phase, clubs will eventually be allowed to carry out sessions in which no more than 14 players can participate. In total, the league anticipates that there will be a month of preparation before competition gets under way. In the first phase players will return home daily, but in the final two training stages and after the return to competition clubs will adopt a training camp structure.........

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/04/spains-footballers-to-return-to-training-this-week-la-liga-confirms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

FitzShane wrote: »
    Hopefully the 10 people can make a full recovery. But, those 10 people at the clubs in the top 2 divisions are not necessarily all players as that information has not been released yet.

10 positive cases from 1724 people tested cases across 36 clubs. That's a positive % of 0.005% of all people tested.

The people that have tested positive will be isolated from the rest of the squads and another round of testing will be undertaken again next week on the remaining squad members and staff before any return to training can happen.

Are you sure on your maths because I'm getting that to give a positive % of 0.58% of all people tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

CSF wrote: »
    Bundesliga is Premier Sports or BT Sports? With the UFC on Saturday night also, things are looking up from a purely entertainment perspective.

BT anyway, maybe Premier show some too...

Are you sure on your maths because I'm getting that to give a positive % of 0.58% of all people tested.

You are correct, my maths are off. 0.0058 is 0.58%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

https://twitter.com/swearimnotpaul/status/1257573586065375235

Spain also going to return soon. The Premier league now under pressure to get underway. Many more leagues also scheduled for May/June .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

wadacrack wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/swearimnotpaul/status/1257573586065375235

The Premier league now under pressure to get underway..

Please explain why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

gstack166 wrote: »
    Please explain why?

Because if they take too long it might delay the transfer window, pre-season, beginning of European comps and the start of next season.

Augme wrote: »
    Because if they take too long it might delay the transfer window, pre-season, beginning of European comps and the start of next season.

They’re going to be delayed anyways. There’s a deadline of the end of August to have the seasons completed or else they’re cancelled.

Who is putting pressure on the Premier League to restart ASAP?

• Advertisement

They’re going to be delayed anyways. There’s a deadline of the end of August to have the seasons completed or else they’re cancelled.

Jesus, you come across very very demanding.

It’s just as well people don’t attempt to hold you to the standards that you try and hold others to.

Are you ever chilled ?

Jesus, you come across very very demanding.

It’s just as well people don’t attempt to hold you to the standards that you try and hold others to.

Are you ever chilled ?

It’s a simple question, what’s demanding about it? I read they were under pressure to restart the league & I asked why & from whom seeing as I missed that report.

One would think it’s an easy question to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It’s a simple question, what’s demanding about it? I read they were under pressure to restart the league & I asked why & from whom seeing as I missed that report.

One would think it’s an easy question to answer.

Explain how you made that assessment.

Immediately!

Please explain why?

Teams will be at a huge economic disadvantage if the games are now not played especially with two major competitor's finishing their season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I remember reading somewhere of one who thinks this Covid19 is spread by 5G. Can't think of the player at the minute.

I think it was Lovern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sure teh season is cancelled anyway. Been clear for months, all evidence points to it. Don't know why people in this thread aren't accepting it.

Sure teh season is cancelled anyway. Been clear for months, all evidence points to it. Don't know why people in this thread aren't accepting it.

Its more than likely going to be finished. The lack of revenue for teams next season with significantly reduced match day revenue means it has to. No crowds likely obviously will have a huge financial impact. No TV revenue money to finish this season will see clubs in massive trouble.

noodler wrote: »
    Explain how you made that assessment.

Immediately!

Because he wouldn’t of posted it without reading an article about it surely, it’s easy to post the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Because he wouldn’t of posted it without reading an article about it surely, it’s easy to post the link.

Only joking.

I would actually agree with you, which I don't always do, I'd say it puts more pressure on the league to make a decision rather than to restart.

• Advertisement

PFA head honcho, the always delightful Gordon Taylor has suggested games might be shorter. Mid June is earliest restart from his pov.

Next idea jumpers for goalposts and next goal wins.

That'll maintain the integrity of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Please explain why?

Brexit Britain isn’t going to stand for Germany (of all people) finding a way to get football up and running successfully while their inability to do so is used as another stick to beat the government with and compare poorly in relative terms to their defeated WW2 foes.

The political pressure will dovetail with the financial pressure. Quite the set of incentives.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Brexit Britain isn’t going to stand for Germany (of all people) finding a way to get football up and running successfully while their inability to do so is used as another stick to beat the government with and compare poorly in relative terms to their defeated WW2 foes.

The political pressure will dovetail with the financial pressure. Quite the set of incentives.

If the current government could fcuk over any football team, Liverpool would be it. Maybe they'll delight in seeing the city's local authority go bankrupt while at the same time deny one of their football teams glory. I'm sure some in power would rub their hands at the prospect. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

PFA head honcho, the always delightful Gordon Taylor has suggested games might be shorter. Mid June is earliest restart from his pov.

Next idea jumpers for goalposts and next goal wins.

That'll maintain the integrity of the competition.

Next up

Fly Goalkeeper
    No heading
    Goal to count as 2 if scored outside box

Think that less than 45 minute a half proposal is a non-runner myself. And it shouldn't be a rule brought in either.

Did he actually specify what the time would be? 35 minutes? 40 minutes? Or just not have the referee stop the clock when the ball goes out of play for corners, free kicks etc?

Think that less than 45 minute a half proposal is a non-runner myself. And it shouldn't be a rule brought in either.

Did he actually specify what the time would be? 35 minutes? 40 minutes? Or just not have the referee stop the clock when the ball goes out of play for corners, free kicks etc?

He didn't specify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

why doi you think players would be any different to the rest of the pouplation. im sure if you asked everyone in any proffesion then youd find 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You'd think the head of the PFA, the players union, would be saying "No chance, its not safe for the players to return to work yet".

There's also nothing about the fact that under the plans proposed, the elite players will be playing up until the end of July. 1 weeks break, back for the jam packed 20/21 season which will incorporate last seasons FA Cup, Champions League etc, then the Euros in June. Back early again for the 21/22 season to start manoeuvring seasons for the 2022 World Cup in November/December. Finish the 21/22 season, then back early for the 22/23 season, a world cup in the middle, finish the 22/23 season late. Back early to reconfigure the seasons in 23/24, with Euro2024 at the end of it.

You'd think the head of the PFA, the players union, would be saying "No chance, its not safe for the players to return to work yet".

There's also nothing about the fact that under the plans proposed, the elite players will be playing up until the end of July. 1 weeks break, back for the jam packed 20/21 season which will incorporate last seasons FA Cup, Champions League etc, then the Euros in June. Back early again for the 21/22 season to start manoeuvring seasons for the 2022 World Cup in November/December. Finish the 21/22 season, then back early for the 22/23 season, a world cup in the middle, finish the 22/23 season late. Back early to reconfigure the seasons in 23/24, with Euro2024 at the end of it.

Will be on the back of 3 month break . Basically 2 months of no activity at all. It will be fine

I wonder what the reasoning behind allowing EFL games take place at a team's home ground, but a PL team cannot play at their home ground?

Just play the remaining games left, at the original stadium, when it is safe to do so and stop the farce of neutral grounds, PPG, shorter games and no relegation & promotions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I wonder what the reasoning behind allowing EFL games take place at a team's home ground, but a PL team cannot play at their home ground?

Just play the remaining games left, at the original stadium, when it is safe to do so and stop the farce of neutral grounds, PPG, shorter games and no relegation & promotions.

I thought it was pretty obvious that it was to stop that teams fans gathering outside the stadium.

A lot of them are probably worried about the potential loss of income. I don’t think thered be any kind of consensus between the players who are nervous to go back, and the ones who are worried about losing more and more money. Much like in most aspects of society.

I thought it was pretty obvious that it was to stop that teams fans gathering outside the stadium.

Is there not as much risk with fans doing that in the EFL than in the PL?
    Some clubs in the Championship & League One average higher home attendances than Premier League teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There's no jam packed 20 / 21 season coming. Everyone can see there will be periods of lockdown ahead as subsequent waves of infection rise and fall. The players will be serving their best interests to play in the limited windows available.

Rick Parry talking in Parliament today.
    The chairman of the EFL, Rick Parry, has criticised the Premier League for failing to help lower-league football as he admitted to a potential £200m black hole in club finances by September.

Parry, appearing before the House of Commons digital, culture, media and sport committee, called for a “complete reset” of the way football is run, including the introduction of a wage cap and an end to parachute payments, which he described as “an evil that must be eradicated”.

Parry said talks with the Premier League over a “rescue package” for the lower leagues had not proved fruitful. “I would love to see money trickling down but I’ve not seen any evidence of it yet,” he said. “The Premier League’s position is that if they are allowed to play we will be able to talk; we await that day. Discussions to date have been limited.”............

The last paragraph is what will happen if there is no promotion and relegation.
    He added that relegation from and promotion to the Premier League should take place in full. “We expect three Championship clubs to be promoted – the Premier League are aware of our position on that. The Premier League expects three clubs to be relegated.

“The lawyers are going to get wealthy [if relegation from the Premier League was removed]. There would be a degree of outrage from a number of clubs in our Championship, and it would be a breach of the tripartite agreement. The safe answer is that it would get very messy.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/05/efl-chief-parachute-payments-evil-eradicated-football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

I can see the leagues being finished off but can't see cup competitions being finished this season I think they will be written off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the only way relegation could be scrapped if the league expanded to 23 sides for the following season, which I don't think will happen. But I don't see how you relegate anyone without huge legal problems too.

Even finishing out the season - neutral grounds makes it unfair, and a potential legal issue, too.

I think they should scrap the transfer windows till after the 2022 World Cup now and go back to the old system where you could buy and sell a player till around the final 3rd of the season.

This might help keep money flowing throughout the season with no fans at stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

the only way relegation could be scrapped if the league expanded to 23 sides for the following season, which I don't think will happen. But I don't see how you relegate anyone without huge legal problems too.

Even finishing out the season - neutral grounds makes it unfair, and a potential legal issue, too.

Wonder would they just promote 2 teams? Promoting 3 is a mess for fixtures, having uneven numbers means time off for 1 club each gameweek.

There'll be legal threats everywhere, wont be an easy decision to make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's a whole bunch of great reasons (discussed here yesterday or the day before) why neutral grounds are a great idea - what's weird isn't so much that the Premier League teams are doing it, it's that the EFL teams are not. I can't quite make sense of that to be honest.

<edit> Having trouble finding any sources saying EFL games will take place in their own stadiums though... can anyone point me in that direction?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement