Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

if club medics can carry out tests they should be deployed to the front line to carry out testing on people who actually need to be tested

That's a stretch.
    By the same logic I shouldn't be programming for profit at home, when there may be something useful for me to do for the health service instead.

And ironically in the UK they do appear to need logistic experts more than medics at the moment. Someone to point out the folly of having test centres at out of-town locations when low-level health-care staff tend not to have cars. Or to work out the correct times to have their test centres open, and to convey the information to the people who need the tests.
    Actual test kits and lab time doesn't seem to be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That's a stretch.

Actual test kits and lab time doesn't seem to be a problem.

Yep, much like ireland the carrying out of Testing is a logistical and administrative issue, not a bottle neck on the number of tests they have.

There are issues around PPE such as masks and gowns (everywhere) but I don't see evidence that Testing kits (any there are many different types) are low in numbers themselves.

It is also a point that is claimed to have been raised by the PL during their meetings - that testing of football should have zero impact on testing elsewhere.

UK is seeing a much greater roll out of testing, in terms or who can avail of tests, in the last couple of weeks, which will increase further over time as capacity to run and report on the tests has increased.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

https://twitter.com/honigstein/status/1257976801617379331?s=21

It’s all becoming a bit of a mess over in Germany.there was players and managers uneasy about returning the end of May, not sure how they’d feel being told it’s actually 10 days time instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Portsmouth chairman said that football below Championship level could be over as clubs don't have the finances for constant testing,hotels as quarantine zones and BCD football.

The Portsmouth chairman said that football below Championship level could be over as clubs don't have the finances for constant testing,hotels as quarantine zones and BCD football.

I mentioned that a couple weeks back and was told If it comes down to buying tests and paying hotels over going bust that they would manage it.

Mentioned the same myself, don't think there was any real argument agaisnt such considerations.

People have been saying for a while that the costs of running lower leagues behind closed doors would outweight the money made from it.

Lower League football is in huge trouble if the FA, PL and PL Clubs don't do something drastic to help them survive until fans can return to the stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

gstack166 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/honigstein/status/1257976801617379331?s=21

It’s all becoming a bit of a mess over in Germany.there was players and managers uneasy about returning the end of May, not sure how they’d feel being told it’s actually 10 days time instead.

I don't know where you get that impression from. Most of the Info that has been "leaked" was never part of the plans. I follow the German press quite closely and actually haven't heard of any players feeling uneasy with restarting the season, more to the contrary as in that they are mostly raring to go. Clubs are well prepared by the looks of it, teams have been training for the last week in small groups, and team training will likely start this weekend following the results of the next testing round. All the teams have already booked Hotels where they will quarantine in preparation for restart of the season.

DubDani wrote: »
    I don't know where you get that impression from. Most of the Info that has been "leaked" was never part of the plans. I follow the German press quite closely and actually haven't heard of any players feeling uneasy with restarting the season, more to the contrary as in that they are mostly raring to go. Clubs are well prepared by the looks of it, teams have been training for the last week in small groups, and team training will likely start this weekend following the results of the next testing round. All the teams have already booked Hotels where they will quarantine in preparation for restart of the season.

Even if today’s rumours about the end of May were wrong it’s still been pushed back twice now in the last 10 days has it not?

I posted a link to Uwe Rosler a few pages back of his interview with talksport this morning and you wouldn’t get the impression him or his players are raring to go, he mentioned players including himself that are uneasy with restarting so soon.

There's going to be setbacks until a vaccine is around, that's inevitable. Not just in football. Overcoming the setbacks will become less of an obstacle as time moves on, and as better prevention, treatment and processes are in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The big news is the Estonian FA are hoping to restart their league by the 19th May.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The big news is the Estonian FA are hoping to restart their league by the 19th May.

Woo-hoo! In your face Belarus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

At the end of this we could end up with as little as 40 professional clubs in uk.

Would make sence then if premier league was to take the remaining outside clubs under it's wing and to scrap football league and have Premier league one and two you may even see them locking it up so there is only relegation and promotion between the two leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Football below Championship level is over barring a comprehensive government bailout. There is no prospect of a complete next season within the usual window and certainly no fans for whatever portion of next season is played. It's over. Multiple clubs to go bust and we'll see what reforms post vaccine / conclusion of the public health crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

https://twitter.com/mailsport/status/1258014929405251584?s=21

Have to wonder what the teams fighting relegation would think of that? I’m sure the teams outside the relegation zone will rather it cancelled and the 3 at the bottom would rather take their chances in court fighting the relegation than actually having it confirmed by a disadvantaged plan to resume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bundesliga officially allowed to return now, in the second half of May. The league can chose it's own start date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mod note:
    Following discussion, MD1990's thread ban lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Have to wonder what the teams fighting relegation would think of that? I’m sure the teams outside the relegation zone will rather it cancelled and the 3 at the bottom would rather take their chances in court fighting the relegation than actually having it confirmed by a disadvantaged plan to resume.

I brought this up ages ago but was instantly dismissed by several as nonsense. I used the example that West Ham still have Villa at home. Playing at home holds several distinct advantages. If the season was resumed BCD there’s an argument as to how much advantage is lost with out your home fans in attendance. Moving it to neutral venue a few hundred miles away removes all advantages hence the theory behind cup finals and the likes at neutral venues.
    West Han would be losing a distinct advantage in this case and I cannot see them taking the chance and agreeing to such conditions with so much at stake.
    Posters here conveniently talk about integrity when it suits their agenda but where is the integrity in this?
    Others use “they are a Business” when it suits their argument where is the Business sense in gambling on relegation by playing games at a disadvantage.

Again using West Ham as an example against the other 5 in the relegation battle with them they have
    Watford H
    Norwich A
    Villa H to come.
    That’s 2 big old fashioned 6 pointers they lose advantage in I think personally they’d rather fight it out in court.
    In the case of Aston Villa, they will be watching things at the other end of the table. Should Liverpool be awarded the league without it being mathematically won and hence the PL awarding them points Villa will point to their game in hand (assuming the PL call it quits as is like other leagues) and ask why they aren’t awarded 3 points and thus leaping above 3 clubs above them and surviving. It’s a legal nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i think they should use all the grounds.
    It is what Germany are doing.

quite strange seeing Liverpool vs Everton played in Manchester or wherever it could be played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’m guessing the league will get the go ahead after 15th of June, UK are about a month behind where Germany are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bundesliga set for go-ahead to resume season in second half of May

Green light expected from prime minister Angela Merkel
    League has confirmed 10 positive tests from 36 clubs

The Bundesliga is set to receive approval for resumption in the second half of May after a meeting involving the prime minister, Angela Merkel, and state premiers.

Under the plan the league (DFL) will be able to choose the appropriate date for games in the first and second divisions to restart and matches will be held behind closed doors.

Clubs in Germany’s top division have been training for a month amid Covid-19 testing and the league has been keen to finish the season by the end of June, when contracts expire.

The push to resume has not been universally welcomed. The DFL said on Monday that there had been 10 positive tests for coronavirus among 36 clubs in the Bundesliga and second division, adding that 1,724 tests were carried out over two rounds among players and staff..............

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/06/bundesliga-set-for-go-ahead-to-resume-season-in-second-half-of-may

Bundesliga set for go-ahead to resume season in second half of May

Green light expected from prime minister Angela Merkel
    League has confirmed 10 positive tests from 36 clubs

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/06/bundesliga-set-for-go-ahead-to-resume-season-in-second-half-of-may

German government gives the go ahead.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11881/11984035/bundesliga-cleared-to-restart-season-later-this-month-after-government-approval

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Setting aside all the will they cancel etc.
    I'm intrigued what will happen with players whose contracts are due to expire at the end of june.
    I seen that the PL have said they will extend until the end of the season, but surely that cannot be done unilaterally especially if a player has a pre contract agreement signed with another club?
    If you had a precontract signed with a team that you are due to face and your current team is in a relation dogfight with the team you are signing would this potentially cause issues as technically you could be contracted to your new club at the time of the game being played.
    Where does this leave players and clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fantastic news from Germany. Not long now until the premier league is back to lift all of our spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Time to dust off my FC Köln jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

ricero wrote: »
    Fantastic news from Germany. Not long now until the premier league is back to lift all of our spirits.

You can't just assume that because one country is doing something, other countries will soon be doing it.
    In terms of the Coronavirus, the UK isn't so much a few weeks behind Germany as being hit in a way that Germany simply never was. The highest daily death toll in Germany was a month ago, at 333 deaths. 333 would be considered a brilliant figure for the UK today, despite having 80% of Germany's population and the UK outbreak happening at roughly the same time.

I'd be surprised if the Premier League returned soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You can't just assume that because one country is doing something, other countries will soon be doing it.
    In terms of the Coronavirus, the UK isn't so much a few weeks behind Germany as being hit in a way that Germany simply never was. The highest daily death toll in Germany was a month ago, at 333 deaths. 333 would be considered a brilliant figure for the UK today, despite having 80% of Germany's population and the UK outbreak happening at roughly the same time.

I'd be surprised if the Premier League returned soon.

How soon is soon?

I think any resumption of the current PL season is 5 weeks away myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I can safely assume that the current UK government will be desperate to match social progress made in Germany, as failing to do so will highlight how relatively poorly they are handling things in a way the unthinking mass of their voting base will pick up and notice.

I do love this whole take that football will lift spirits, what a load of tripe. People who are directly affected by this (and i don't mean people who are stuck at home) won't have their spirits lifted by a football. There are people who have had loved ones pass away, who haven't been able to see those people in their last moments or since, there are people who haven't been able to see their spouse as they are key workers who are isolating form the rest of the family, people that have not seen their own children for over a month. This has got absolutely nothing to do with raising the nations spirits

There are much more important parts of the economy who are completely ****ed due to this, what makes football any more important to them? That's right, **** loads of powerful people losing money.

I do love this whole take that football will lift spirits, what a load of tripe. People who are directly affected by this (and i don't mean people who are stuck at home) won't have their spirits lifted by a football. There are people who have had loved ones pass away, who haven't been able to see those people in their last moments or since, there are people who haven't been able to see their spouse as they are key workers who are isolating form the rest of the family, people that have not seen their own children for over a month. This has got absolutely nothing to do with raising the nations spirits

There are much more important parts of the economy who are completely ****ed due to this, what makes football any more important to them? That's right, **** loads of powerful people losing money.

Football will provide entertainment and distraction for millions. same way movies and tv shows are.

Should we scrap tv as well, TV isn't helping people who have had loved ones die.

• Advertisement

Football will provide entertainment and distraction for millions. same way movies and tv shows are.

Should we scrap tv as well, TV isn't helping people who have had loved ones die.

Could’ve used a better analogy but I take your point. I don’t disagree it provides entertainment and distraction, my argument is the bs that it’s being done for the moral or wellbeing of the country.

It’s far from it, it’s been done for money, simple as. There’s nothing wrong with that either but I wish it would be called out for what it is which is greed.

Not raising spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We all want football back asap. But I rather see it delayed month or 2 if it meant football takes 2 steps forward and not 2 steps back by rushing it.

Hopefully Bundesliga goes ahead without any problems cause one outbreak and its back square one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

By all accounts, Villa are the main club vehemently opposed to the neutral venue thing. And they’re right.

The Premier League could turn around and go on current standings and PPG instead though, which would affect Villa worse, but this would also be unfair given Villa have played 2 less home games than about half the teams in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Neutral thing is load of bollock. Either play home and away and do it right or dont do it at all. If got to take those measures things ain't right in first place.

CSF wrote: »
    By all accounts, Villa are the main club vehemently opposed to the neutral venue thing. And they’re right.

The Premier League could turn around and go on current standings and PPG instead though, which would affect Villa worse, but this would also be unfair given Villa have played 2 less home games than about half the teams in the league.

Dean Smith said yesterday that he has 2 players in his squad, one with a pregnant partner and the other living with an vulnerable mother-in-law. Think it’s mostly to do with those players worries over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Some just do not want football back or is it they do not want the current season back?

Life has to go on, yes there is huge money behind the PL and if they start to allow children back into schools and open offices again then why can sport not start, why protect them and send kids off to school or the average Joe back into the office to work?

fair to say some in this thread just don't enjoy football anymore.
    maybe just stop watching & following it if you are so against it coming back.

going to the supermarket is as big as risk or if not bigger as everyone will not be tested unlike the pro clubs.

Of course the top leagues are coming back for money just as other business's will as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Some just do not want football back or is it they do not want the current season back?

Life has to go on, yes there is huge money behind the PL and if they start to allow children back into schools and open offices again then why can sport not start, why protect them and send kids off to school or the average Joe back into the office to work?

Sigh...

Kids can go back to school and social distance in a classroom. Coordinate breaks and space out desks and arrange classes to split groups up etc. Education is also a necessity. They have an interim plan in place in online teaching in most places (I think) however I know if I was in that situation I would be doing Sweet f*ck all.

Average joe back in office - Similar to above offices will be spaced out for social distancing and likely be brought back in phases. That's what my companies plan is. I don't need to be in office to work so I believe a guideline for me to return is October/November. I also live with my partner who works in the health industry and deals with COVID19 daily so I will be very late back to reduce risk.

Life does have to go on you're absolutely right. However it has to be done in phases and as I said before football is not a priority. Unfortunate for those that aren't footballers and work in the industry.

Nobody is saying they don't want football back. Literally nobody, they're saying they don't want it back yet because of the health and safety implications. It's really that simple.

You're essentially arguing that people don't want it back because Liverpool win the league. I can assure you if Liverpool were mid table, you wouldn't give a flying b0llix when it was returning

Sigh...

Kids can go back to school and social distance in a classroom. Coordinate breaks and space out desks and arrange classes to split groups up etc. Education is also a necessity. They have an interim plan in place in online teaching in most places (I think) however I know if I was in that situation I would be doing Sweet f*ck all.

Average joe back in office - Similar to above offices will be spaced out for social distancing and likely be brought back in phases. That's what my companies plan is. I don't need to be in office to work so I believe a guideline for me to return is October/November. I also live with my partner who works in the health industry and deals with COVID19 daily so I will be very late back to reduce risk.

Life does have to go on you're absolutely right. However it has to be done in phases and as I said before football is not a priority. Unfortunate for those that aren't footballers and work in the industry financially.

Nobody is saying they don't want football back. Literally nobody, they're saying they don't want it back yet because of the health and safety implications. It's really that simple.

You're essentially arguing that people don't want it back because Liverpool win the league. I can assure you if Liverpool were mid table, you wouldn't give a flying b0llix when it was returning due to lack of emotional investment.

Probably the most sensible post I’ve read on this thread.

Sigh...

Life does have to go on you're absolutely right. However it has to be done in phases and as I said before football is not a priority. Unfortunate for those that aren't footballers and work in the industry.

You're essentially arguing that people don't want it back because Liverpool win the league. I can assure you if Liverpool were mid table, you wouldn't give a flying b0llix when it was returning

There is lots of health and safety issues each time you go to the super market, yes you queue up outside to go in, there is less people in the super market but people will still walk behind you and join you at the counter or worse handle food and put it back.

Speaking from my own experience i am still working which i am thankful for. My parents are shielding as one is asthmatic and beaten cancer and other has just finished cancer treatment. Another family member is working on a Covid ward at the hospital as they are a nurse so it has been a struggle to keep them fed. While losing an aunt during this leaving one parent devastated they could not say bye to their sister.

Anything that is a distraction from that worry as it is worse at the weekend when i do not have work to distract me is most welcome, i shall be looking forward to the German league games starting even though i rarely watch it will be welcome. There is only so much crap tv you can watch and so many times you can clean the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Interesting take by the UK Government, if true

https://twitter.com/migueldelaney/status/1258030601359278080?s=21

Spain yesterday had 2260 confirmed new cases, today they’ve announced 3121 new cases which accounts for yesterday 1 day after they eased restrictions.

England today broke the 30k deaths barrier & have a confirmed 6111 cases.

Now to me that would seem like either a) lifting restrictions is too soon at the moment in England & b) if so then the Premier League is well away from restarting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm wondering how many people excited about football returning have actually watched a ghost game in Italy, Germany or one of the CL ones before the lockdown.

Think you'll all be disappointed and not watch half as many games as you might think you will. They're very boring and I can't see myself watching many that don't involve my club.

It's going to be rough watching the sport until fans are allowed back and there is some atmosphere in the stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

There is lots of health and safety issues each time you go to the super market, yes you queue up outside to go in, there is less people in the super market but people will still walk behind you and join you at the counter or worse handle food and put it back.
    Will you die without football? Food you will. You can also order it online to reduce risk which many people are doing.

Speaking from my own experience i am still working which i am thankful for. My parents are shielding as one is asthmatic and beaten cancer and other has just finished cancer treatment. Another family member is working on a Covid ward at the hospital as they are a nurse so it has been a struggle to keep them fed. While losing an aunt during this leaving one parent devastated they could not say bye to their sister.

Anything that is a distraction from that worry as it is worse at the weekend when i do not have work to distract me is most welcome, i shall be looking forward to the German league games starting even though i rarely watch it will be welcome. There is only so much crap tv you can watch and so many times you can clean the house.

Sorry to hear of your situation. I understand you're looking for a welcome distraction but by looking for those players to play you are looking for them to take an unnecessary risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I took ricero's post to mean lift the spirits of people on this football forum, and by entention football fans in general - not necessarily the general public at large. Of course we all know it's about money at the end of the day, but it doesn't change the fact that we enjoy it.

As an aside, football can raise spirits in the worst of times. My mothers funeral was the same day as Ireland’s opening game in Euro 2012. Regardless of the result, I watched that game that evening in the hope of a little lift/distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MD1990 wrote: »
    fair to say some in this thread just don't enjoy football anymore.
    maybe just stop watching & following it if you are so against it coming back.

going to the supermarket is as big as risk or if not bigger as everyone will not be tested unlike the pro clubs.

Of course the top leagues are coming back for money just as other business's will as well.

You replying to anyone in particular or just throwing stuff out there?

There is a difference in people wanting football back safely and people not wanting football back. All I see is people showing concern and been challenged on it and accused of not wanting football back??

I want football back because I think united have a fitter squad now then they did 2 months ago and they could have a really strong finish and make top four but I'm also aware that football could be back one weekend and if someone from the community tests positive and ends up in icu there will ne a clamour for all to be stopped and questions why it was ever allowed restart.

But if they start effecting the rules of shorter halves or more subs and stuff then I actually don't want it back I believe thats a total different set of rules from beginning of season.

Sorry to hear of your situation. I understand you're looking for a welcome distraction but by looking for those players to play you are looking for them to take an unnecessary risk.

Parents are not internet connected and I say there is people who would like to so their own shopping to pick up fresh food with the longest use by date to minimise the need for shopping more.

Players are going to be tested so they are going to be in a much safer environment than your average Joe so I think it is worth the risk

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm wondering how many people excited about football returning have actually watched a ghost game in Italy, Germany or one of the CL ones before the lockdown.

Think you'll all be disappointed and not watch half as many games as you might think you will. They're very boring and I can't see myself watching many that don't involve my club.

It's going to be rough watching the sport until fans are allowed back and there is some atmosphere in the stadiums.

I watched Juve vs Inter.

it was a very good game & both teams did not let the lack of attendance affect. Prob Juve's best performance of the season.

This was the best 2 sides in Italy though so games with nothing riding on it could be quite poor. But still better than no football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm the opposite. I'd say it would be a lot harder for the PL to return if another large European country hasn't done it first.

I think if a major league in Europe shows it can go ahead it will be hard for the PL to justify not following.

Obviously the timeline will be determined by ensuring the country overall is at the same stage as Germany is, but if you get to that point and Bundesliga has resumed then hard not to follow.

I'd say if Bundesliga resumes it definitely makes PL returning more likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well I don't think they should be letting people back to offices or school, so I'd say I'm pretty consistent in saying I don't think football should be back yet or in the near future. I think this season should be finished now, awarding Liverpool the title and however they want to sort the rest then have plenty of time in the off season to plan a measured and safe return. Be it behind closed doors or not, because you'd hope by that time hundreds aren't dying daily.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement