Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

MD1990 wrote: »
    But still better than no football.

Yeah this is the point. And like it or not it's going to be the reality.

There's no big bang return to full stadia for games, it won't happen and it shouldn't happen. So we'll just have to accept that we'll be watching games on tv with no fans initially and in the grand scheme of things, particularly for Irish people who likely go to a handful of PL games at most per year, that's not the worst price to pay for a normality that means it's safe to play football again.

then have plenty of time in the off season to plan a measured and safe return

And at the point of safe return why would you not want to play the remaining 9 games? What does ending it now give you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Parents are not internet connected and I say there is people who would like to so their own shopping to pick up fresh food with the longest use by date to minimise the need for shopping more.

Players are going to be tested so they are going to be in a much safer environment than your average Joe so I think it is worth the risk

I think part of the concern would be not knowing the effect of playing football.

When you go to the shops, you can practice social distancing. You can't practice that on a football pitch.

You probably aren't going to bash into a sweaty shopper - footballers will collide.

If you get covid 19, you are likely to recover (as is a footballer), but there are (as far as I am aware) concerns over lung function in following recovery (in some)

There is of course going to be a greater knowledge that everyone on the pitch is very likely to not be infected - due to being tested.

But there are concerns footballers will face that regular shopping or offices won't. Similar to the reasons Gyms are closed, to be honest. Lack of Social Distancing and possible sweat transfer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

8-10 wrote: »
    And at the point of safe return why would you not want to play the remaining 9 games? What does ending it now give you?

A closer to normal season next season. Why have two fcked up seasons.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

So when are you saying next season starts?

• Advertisement

The ability to end player contracts.
    The ability to sell players.
    The shut down of various club activities that would need to be kept up at the moment.
    A concrete costs analysis. United have paid Casual MatchDay staff as is, and will pay them again if needed for BCD matches. If there are no BCD matches then they know match day expenses are finished.
    A better outlook on what money will come in, and (likely) when with regards 20/21 TV money.

You can't keep the season going forever, it simply isn't practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

fair to say some in this thread just don't enjoy football anymore.
    maybe just stop watching & following it if you are so against it coming back.

going to the supermarket is as big as risk or if not bigger as everyone will not be tested unlike the pro clubs.

Of course the top leagues are coming back for money just as other business's will as well.

Didnt take long.

If you have a pair of balls call out people who say what your accusing or stop making wild claims

So when are you saying next season starts?

I haven't got a crystal ball, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The truth is football will eventually have to return earlier than everyone will want to as the sport itself is ran so f**king sh!t that most teams will go bust if you wait until all this has blown over in a year or so. Most clubs paying dozens of people a multimillion contract during a global pandemic with an economic recession are going to struggle with that when there is no money coming in during that time. People will say oh if they take paycuts it will hurt taxpayers but if they are exercising on Teams in December it probably ain't sustainable for the clubs to pay them without help from external sources.

When it does come back I don't see an issue with neutral venues as there shouldn't be fans for some time and having away fans is something that will have to be eased back over time as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

finishing this season is probably the best chance at finishing a 38 game season for quite a while.

Next winter will be a very very tough time.
    The winter flu along with the virus will mean millions out of work around the world if no lockdown during this time. So many people will have symtoms.

I dont see football being played next winter another lockdown oeriod may likely happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Until a vaccine is found, football will be start stop, I can see them doing away with the years and re-branding the league as something like a TV show "All New Premier League - Season 1"

Didnt take long.

If you have a pair of balls call out people who say what your accusing or stop making wild claims
    calm down

thanks & gstack would be the 2 who I think dont think enjoy football too much.

Didnt mention names at first because I wont be engaging in a back & forth.

finishing this season is probably the best chance at finishing a 38 game season for quite a while.

Next winter will be a very very tough time.
    The winter flu along with the virus will mean millions out of work around the world if no lockdown during this time. So many people will have symtoms.

I dont see football being played next winter another lockdown oeriod may likely happen.

It's as valid a guess as mine, I don't see it like that, but we will only find out with time, that's why this thread will continue to go around in circles. We're all guessing.

Trigger wrote: »
    Until a vaccine is found, football will be start stop, I can see them doing away with the years and re-branding the league as something like a TV show "All New Premier League - Season 1"

Given football is coming back in the early stages of reopenings where-ever, I don't know if top level football is going to be as effected as you say.

Governments are going to be very wary of going into full lock downs again. they are more likely to rely on mass testing, social distancing etc - with possibly some stuff like mass gatherings (Gigs, football matches with fans etc) knocked on the head.

My opinion could be wrong, just as yours could be wrong.

But I think a lot of what is discussed at the moment will be to put processes in place for football to continue as unscathed as possible. European football is the one I think will see a big issue going foward, with international travel.

European football is the one I think will see a big issue going foward, with international travel.

A good point, worrying over the "top four" may turn out to be a complete irrelevance for a while to come. Open borders will be much less open and countries much keener on biosecurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Honestly this may actually lead to the European Super League as only the top clubs will survive from the main leagues somewhat just about financially ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Didnt take long.

Really?
    calm down

thanks & gstack would be the 2 who I think dont think enjoy football too much.

Didnt mention names at first because I wont be engaging in a back & forth.

Really?

What the F?

If you can't talk to each other in a civil manner then don't. Otherwise you are both gone - permanently.

Last warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Sigh...

Kids can go back to school and social distance in a classroom. Coordinate breaks and space out desks and arrange classes to split groups up etc. Education is also a necessity. They have an interim plan in place in online teaching in most places (I think) however I know if I was in that situation I would be doing Sweet f*ck all.

No they can't, there is no way a teacher can keep a class of 4,5,6,7,8 year olds socially distant and schools anyway are built for 30ish kids in a small space. My wife is currently working in a school and whilst they try their best kids will not stay away from other kids, they are also not very good with hygiene so will sneeze on hands and cough all over the place, we are lucky that at the moment she is less exposed to it because there are only kids of key workers in schools however there is no chance that with a full compliment, any school bar those with only 6-10 in a class and unlimited space for them to eat and distance each other in the playground will be able to go back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Honestly this may actually lead to the European Super League as only the top clubs will survive from the main leagues somewhat just about financially ok.

"European Super League -Season One" sponsored by Netflix and Prime, available on your selected clubs streaming App.

The ESL was already close enough on numerous times to being agreed if reports at the times were to be believed, the only issue with it would be the international travel, especially with the UK leaving the EU properly in December.

• Advertisement

It's as valid a guess as mine, I don't see it like that, but we will only find out with time, that's why this thread will continue to go around in circles. We're all guessing.

yes its is all guess work.

If they had a vaccine by sept that would be incredible.

I then think they should just finish the season now & call it after 29 games.

If some definite information came out about a vaccine it could help teams & leagues plan.

yes its is all guess work.

If they had a vaccine by sept that would be incredible.

I then think they should just finish the season now & call it after 29 games.

If some definite information came out about a vaccine it could help teams & leagues plan.

Closer to September 2021 probably be a better bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gstack166 wrote: »
    Dean Smith said yesterday that he has 2 players in his squad, one with a pregnant partner and the other living with an vulnerable mother-in-law. Think it’s mostly to do with those players worries over it.

That’s a separate issue to the neutral venues one though. I’d imagine clubs have both a concern for their players, but also a huge interest to ensure their club aren’t disadvantaged, particularly those in top 4/bottom 3 battles where the difference between winning and losing is so much money.

Imagine all the clubs want football to be back as soon as possible for many reasons, but some will want to take a stand for their player’s sake and others for their Premier League safety. Will be interesting to see which way the vote goes.

OK, we tried. Seems that a select few of you cannot get it into your head that there are rules.

Sorry, going home, the ball is burst.

Following the feedback thread - part 1 - (part 2 will follow) I am re-opening this.

Previous rules and thread bans are still in effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Championship aiming for a 12th June restart, with training resuming from 25th May (pushed back from 16th).

https://theathletic.com/1812442/2020/05/13/efl-championship-leeds-westbrom-charlton-restart?source=user-shared-article

Mushy wrote: »
    Championship aiming for a 12th June restart, with training resuming from 25th May (pushed back from 16th).

https://theathletic.com/1812442/2020/05/13/efl-championship-leeds-westbrom-charlton-restart?source=user-shared-article

Think they're the only hope for the EFL and I just wish Parry et al. had been more honest with League One and League Two about their prospects, and still no official confirmation it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think they're the only hope for the EFL and I just wish Parry et al. had been more honest with League One and League Two about their prospects, and still no official confirmation it's done.

Yeah L1 and 2 wouldnt be possible behind closed doors. I'd even be wary of some clubs in the championship too though. Parry has said 31st july deadline apparently for completion.

Vote on league 1 and 2 is seemingly on Friday

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah L1 and 2 wouldnt be possible behind closed doors. I'd even be wary of some clubs in the championship too though. Parry has said 31st july deadline apparently for completion.

Vote on league 1 and 2 is seemingly on Friday

Be interested to see how close any vote goes. Players have differing opinions, unsurprisingly some are linked to where they sit in the league but others are not. Southend and Shrewsbury players have said they're reluctant to play as things are looking, Peterborough very anxious the other way. Forest Green and Peterborough chairman keen to see things continue, Southend and Stevenage the opposite.

Heard on the radio the Premier League are probably going to have to push their restart back a week. I'm quite fearful about how numbers are going to go in the UK, and may affect football as a result. There seemed to be a lot of people back on the trains and buses again watching the news, and this is much earlier (going by death numbers) than any other country has started to ease restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leagues 1 & 2 players are the mostly likely to lose their jobs and be out of football for a longtime if not forever if this continues into the start of next season. Finishing the league and at least getting a pay check and bonus for completing a league season might be on a lot of players minds.

Leagues 1 & 2 players are the mostly likely to lose their jobs and be out of football for a longtime if not forever if this continues into the start of next season. Finishing the league and at least getting a pay check and bonus for completing a league season might be on a lot of players minds.

Yeah, very true, players have been let go already, and new contracts are going to be significantly worse. Going part time is my guess for a good few clubs. Tough for the journeymen and lads who never quite cut it further up, League Two footballers on the whole on the industrial average wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Newstalk reporting the proposed restart for Premier League is being pushed back a week to 19th of June.

Collie D wrote: »
    Newstalk reporting the proposed restart for Premier League is being pushed back a week to 19th of June.

Did they say why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Did they say why?

I’m still half asleep but training time and testing was mentioned. They mentioned “testing pools of 40” but not quite sure what they meant by that.

Did they say why?

Rpeorts from yesterday is that Jose Mourinho was leading the charge for the proposed return to be pushed back a week.

The earliest we would see players returning to small group training would be May 25th, and Jose (and others) felt that wouldn't provide enough time for players to get their fitness levels back up for a June 12th return.

• Advertisement

Rpeorts from yesterday is that Jose Mourinho was leading the charge for the proposed return to be pushed back a week.

The earliest we would see players returning to small group training would be May 25th, and Jose (and others) felt that wouldn't provide enough time for players to get their fitness levels back up for a June 12th return.

All going to feel very pre-seasony whenever they come back. Empty stadia and half cooked footballers, with very little left for some of them to play for.

If it's a case that they think it's a week's delay to get more training in then I don't get why they don't consider using the original date for a set of friendly games to help with the match fitness.

We are kind of in pre-season territory with the gap between the most recent PL game and the next one's they're planning so why wouldn't you have a 'pre-season' friendly.

Fitness aside, it's also a way of pressure testing a lot of the new protocols around staging a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Better to push it back a week and do it properly than just rush it.

Looking forward to seeing a few games now and next month hopefully it will be like a March again.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm presuming warm up games will be within clubs with different age groups involved. Shouldn't really be much different in terms of fitness terms anyway I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If it's a case that they think it's a week's delay to get more training in then I don't get why they don't consider using the original date for a set of friendly games to help with the match fitness.

We are kind of in pre-season territory with the gap between the most recent PL game and the next one's they're planning so why wouldn't you have a 'pre-season' friendly.

Fitness aside, it's also a way of pressure testing a lot of the new protocols around staging a game

I don't think adding more games forms any part of a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I like the idea but who would they play in friendly games? They're not gonna play a PL team so it would probably have to be a championship team and taking into account the arrangements for everything it's probably a lot more hassle than it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Absolutely no point playing friendly games.Use the reserves to get your first team up to speed if needed.

Adding more games isn't really viable, I think everyone just wants the 9/10 rounds played with minimal fuss and call it a day.

I'd like clarity on when they intend to start next season, and what plans they have in place for that. A plan about next season should hopefully be explained when they explain the detail's of finishing this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

At the outset of the virus I always envisaged a scenario where players could effectively go into a lockdown where they only go to training and go to matches. Then you hear of someone like Stephen Quinn and his wife working in the NHS and you realise it is not just about the players and their family and general social circle rule out a scenario where they won't come into contact with people who are out in society. Throw in the likes of Grealish and Walker and we see some players are just going to make mistakes.

That to me says the premier league have to continue to work towards getting going again but, like the leaving cert here, those plans are going to continue to change as the virus scenario changes.

The first step is to get them back training and see how well clubs manage that, until that has happened then any plans to play matches can be treated as an ideal rather than certain scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd like clarity on when they intend to start next season, and what plans they have in place for that. A plan about next season should hopefully be explained when they explain the detail's of finishing this one.

One that is broken up, I would think, if the threat of Wave 2 is still present. There could even be plans for a roving Winter break. So let's just say there is a Wave 2 in October, then the Winter break moves to that period.

Tha last part is probably even more important than the fitness.

A match between United and City or Burnley who they have already played twice, are close to each other, could help those clubs figure things out, one how to host, for the other how to prepare and travel to a game.

Would imagine that will be part of the planning, but fook knows with the way the PL, EFL and FA have handled the planning thus far.

I would guess it is still difficult to put in place firm plans for next season, as so much is up in the air on this season.

1. When is this season restarting (assumption that it is).
    2. With a start date decided, what is the planned end-date.
    3. Is there contingency needed on the end date, to head off any further suspensions - or is it a case that it either goes to plan or its ended.
    4. With the end-date decided (maybe!), then you need agreement on rest time and a new pre-season start time. I would imagine players looking to 6 weeks between 19/20 end and 20/21 start - 2 week break and 4 week pre-season.

On top of that, starting from a PL perspective, you then have EFL to worry about.

Champ season will need longer than PL, apparently, and there is a chance L1 and L2 just don't restart. That means EFL maybe needs a further buffer on restart while L1 and L2 could be 'ready' to go sooner. But I would think all need to restart at essentially the same time.

I would guess in reality they will need to get football back, and review how it is going from a scheduling and execution perspective, and then plan for next season based on those factors.

At beast I reckon you would hear about a plan to start next season in September, but no fixed dates, and flexible.

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1260837773508063237?s=19

A couple of weeks training like this may be needee before full training can resume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I haven't followed this all that closely, so maybe somebody can fill me in on what contingency plans are in place. What happens if/when a player tests positive? Is the whole squad quarantined? Can they still play games without that player? Seemed like a few weeks ago, when a player tested positive the whole squad went into quarantine, but more recently it's just the player who test positive.

In a way, it's not so much of an issue for the title as Liverpool will obviously get over the line, but for those involved in the European spots and relgation spots, it'd be a bitter pill to have to play without certain players while the opposition has a full squad to choose from. Would legal threats arise?

Or would clubs just agree that there is no perfect way and that if it is to be finished at all, such things have to be accepted.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Tha last part is probably even more important than the fitness.

A match between United and City or Burnley who they have already played twice, are close to each other, could help those clubs figure things out, one how to host, for the other how to prepare and travel to a game.

You could have 30min halves :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement