Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

osarusan wrote: »
    I haven't followed this all that closely, so maybe somebody can fill me in on what contingency plans are in place. What happens if/when a player tests positive? Is the whole squad quarantined? Can they still play games without that player? Seemed like a few weeks ago, when a player tested positive the whole squad went into quarantine, but more recently it's just the player who test positive.

In a way, it's not so much of an issue for the title as Liverpool will obviously get over the line, but for those involved in the European spots and relgation spots, it'd be a bitter pill to have to play without certain players while the opposition has a full squad to choose from. Would legal threats arise?

Or would clubs just agree that there is no perfect way and that if it is to be finished at all, such things have to be accepted.
    current thinking is only positive player will go into isolation (as is the case for most German sides)

I think that is the only way in which football can return. If the squad has to go into isolation, then you may as well not bother. Which is currently going to be the case for all sides in Italy, so I don't see SA starting up (unless the Govt. change their mind/guidance)

As for why it was the case previously but not going forward. Essentially because testing will be available, and there is less of a shock factor now than there was (maybe incorrectly)

If a player misses games because of it, its unfortunate, but tough luck? Is it really that different from Rashford missing games through a back injury, or Laporte missing a large chunk through injury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

current thinking is only positive player will go into isolation (as is the case for most German sides)

I think that is the only way in which football can return. If the squad has to go into isolation, then you may as well not bother. Which is currently going to be the case for all sides in Italy, so I don't see SA starting up (unless the Govt. change their mind/guidance)

As for why it was the case previously but not going forward. Essentially because testing will be available, and there is less of a shock factor now than there was (maybe incorrectly)

If a player misses games because of it, its unfortunate, but tough luck? Is it really that different from Rashford missing games through a back injury, or Laporte missing a large chunk through injury.

100%, same as loads players miss games through sickness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Managers are being Diva's. I think it's too soon to go back anyway but their reasoning for putting it back and even the notion of friendly matches is nonsense. Everyone is on the same boat. Its not like the players have been off in Ibiza for 2 months living it large.

The reasoning why Pre-Seasons were 6 weeks long was because the Gazzas and Razor Ruddocks of this world used to go off on a mad one for weeks on end. Now a days the players just go off, relax and generally top up their fitness.

If a player was injured for 2 months, they wouldn't put him on a 1 months training plan to get back. The player would be back within a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Portugal league is looking to start back in June to and one team will be playing their home games nearly 900 miles away from home.

Santa Clara play in the top division but are from the Azores so to avoid the 14 days quarantine they have agreed to play homes games at the Portugal FA head quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Regarding the Champions League and Europa League games, has there been much news regarding these? Are they waiting to see how the main leagues get on over the next few weeks?

Also what will happen with next seasons competition. There are a lot of rounds of 2 legged qualifications to even start to get to the main competition. Unsure if there has been anything said about this.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

osarusan wrote: »
    I haven't followed this all that closely, so maybe somebody can fill me in on what contingency plans are in place. What happens if/when a player tests positive? Is the whole squad quarantined? Can they still play games without that player? Seemed like a few weeks ago, when a player tested positive the whole squad went into quarantine, but more recently it's just the player who test positive.

In a way, it's not so much of an issue for the title as Liverpool will obviously get over the line, but for those involved in the European spots and relgation spots, it'd be a bitter pill to have to play without certain players while the opposition has a full squad to choose from. Would legal threats arise?

Or would clubs just agree that there is no perfect way and that if it is to be finished at all, such things have to be accepted.

That will form part of the agreement to restart (if it can be agreed). The PL will put those protocols in place, presumably with input from health officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

An antibody test has passed UK health checks,this could speed up a return to normal if it is implemented soon and gives figures for people who may have had the virus and been asymptomatic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

An antibody test has passed UK health checks,this could speed up a return to normal if it is implemented soon and gives figures for people who may have had the virus and been asymptomatic.

In broad terms it could help society return to normal, will it help one unique area like elite football matches return any earlier? I am not sure it will when the plan is to return under strict conditions anyway (no fans, restricted movements, heavy testing)

DM_7 wrote: »
    In broad terms it could help society return to normal, will it help one unique area like elite football matches return any earlier? I am not sure it will when the plan is to return under strict conditions anyway (no fans, restricted movements, heavy testing)

Plus, no indication how long (if at all?) you are protected from it, if you've had it previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

John Barnes: 'Without relegation, Liverpool shouldn't be given the league’
    Former Liverpool and England midfielder John Barnes says he thinks the league should be restarted “when we’re able to safely play again”.
    Speaking to 5 Live’s Clare McDonnell, the Liverpool legend said the season “isn’t like Christmas Day has to be December 25th… the football season doesn’t have to be August to May, you can actually adjust”.
    When asked if Liverpool should be given the league, John said “not if teams aren’t going to be called to be relegated, no."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

John Barnes: 'Without relegation, Liverpool shouldn't be given the league’
    Former Liverpool and England midfielder John Barnes says he thinks the league should be restarted “when we’re able to safely play again”.
    Speaking to 5 Live’s Clare McDonnell, the Liverpool legend said the season “isn’t like Christmas Day has to be December 25th… the football season doesn’t have to be August to May, you can actually adjust”.
    When asked if Liverpool should be given the league, John said “not if teams aren’t going to be called to be relegated, no."

I don't necessarily agree that the one equates to the other, but to try to play on the season without relegation would feel kind of pointless alright, given that it's by miles the biggest thing left to play for - even including qualification to European competitions that look fairly iffy as to if they'll be able to take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Liverpool are champions as far as I'm concerned. That one is pretty much beyond doubt in any scenario and should be at the bottom of any thought with regards to resuming and the ramifications being considered elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Its been agreed that clubs and players can extend contracts short term for out of contract players until the season is finished.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

6 wrote: »
    Plus, no indication how long (if at all?) you are protected from it, if you've had it previously.

My understanding is that typically, immunity would be an 18-24 month scenario for Covid viruses, and that WHO has said while they aren't 100% sure it will work that way, they are very confident it will.

If it didn't.....I think the world as a whole would be screwed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My understanding is that typically, immunity would be an 18-24 month scenario for Covid viruses, and that WHO has said while they aren't 100% sure it will work that way, they are very confident it will.

It was certainly reassuring the news from Korea, that the significant reinfected numbers in screening that were first declared, are more than likely just non infectious remnants of people's original infection, and not a second infection.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lord TSC wrote: »

Have they checked what happened with the previous 18 Coronaviruses?

Liam O wrote: »

LOL.

They banded together and formed a super-virus, seemingly.

Virus' Together, Strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Football in England: Government 'opens door for safe return in June'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52665805

Feel nauseous saying it, but the Tory Sport & Culture minister has done well for the EFL and wider game. Making sure part of the restart agreement is at least a bit of money flows down the pyramid. Free to Air games also a condition.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/14/premier-league-must-show-free-to-air-games-and-share-money-to-restart-government

Feel nauseous saying it, but the Tory Sport & Culture minister has done well for the EFL and wider game. Making sure part of the restart agreement is at least a bit of money flows down the pyramid. Free to Air games also a condition.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/14/premier-league-must-show-free-to-air-games-and-share-money-to-restart-government
    I find it odd they can ask for this.

Surely his remit should just be health and safety aspects. Will the government be asking Starbucks to share cash with local coffee shops?

It's BS. The government using football as a punch bag, as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liam O wrote: »

I'm not sure if you're serious but you do know that Covid-19 is named based off the year it originated?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

COVID-19. 'CO' corona, 'VI' virus, 'D' disease, '19,' 2019.

Surely his remit should just be health and safety aspects. Will the government be asking Starbucks to share cash with local coffee shops?

It's BS. The government using football as a punch bag, as usual.

Same as when they went after the Premier league footballers. It's all about PR, seen to be the strong decisive decision makers, and for the people. They're nothing of the sort of course, but I'm not complaining as a fan of a small League Two team if the Premier league do help with the rest of football's financial black hole.

Same as when they went after the Premier league footballers. It's all about PR, seen to be the strong decisive decision makers, and for the people. They're nothing of the sort of course, but I'm not complaining as a fan of a small League Two team if the Premier league do help with the rest of football's financial black hole.

It's not that I think the government demands are wrong. I have said before the pl needs to actively help the lower leagues, and not just an advance on money they would have got anyway. And games more accessible on TV makes complete sense when fans can't go.

Both are things the fa should be pushing.

I just find it distasteful that the government are demanding it.

What if the pl say no? Government don't allow them to return? On what grounds? Is it saying they'll losen health requirements as long as pl play ball? And if they don't then it wasn't safe? Shocking position from the government.

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Eh, Chineese Originated Viral Infectious Disease. Wake up Sheeple! :pac:

It's not that I think the government demands are wrong. I have said before the pl needs to actively help the lower leagues, and not just an advance on money they would have got anyway. And games more accessible on TV makes complete sense when fans can't go.

Both are things the fa should be pushing.

I just find it distasteful that the government are demanding it.

What if the pl say no? Government don't allow them to return? On what grounds? Is it saying they'll losen health requirements as long as pl play ball? And if they don't then it wasn't safe? Shocking position from the government.

Completely consistent from the Government, they've been shocking all along, hence the worse death rate in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The Premier League has been told by the government it must show some matches on free-to-air TV and put more money into the Football League and grassroots game as a condition for restarting this season.'

thats horse$hit. its either safe to return or its not.

giving money to the lower leagues, is that some form of blackmail? more akin to extortion as far as google goes:

the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

free to air. thats fine. will keep a certain proportion of people from congregating around the stadiums.

I wonder why not all (sky/bt games excepted) FTA though if thats an actual health and safety concern ?

Sky and BT have a certain games that they have paid for, it is the other games that could be on normal TV or even the Youtube channels for BT and Sky

Can't see how the pl can push fta, it has to be entirely in the control of sky, bt and amazon. They paid fortunes for the tv deals, can't give up a huge proportion of the games without a huge contractual issue.

Maybe sky and bt could be persuaded to put some fta under their own platforms, probably in exchange for additional games on their subscription platforms.

• Advertisement

ive money on BM, so easy decision for me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dortmund and Rb - normally guaranteed goals galore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think we should all pick a team to hate together... It might be great for moral.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think we should all pick a team to hate together... It might be great for moral.

liverpool? :pac:

Dortmund and Rb - normally guaranteed goals galore.

Actually interested to see a bit more of Werner and the few lads at Dortmund too. Hope it's not ruined too much as a spectacle.

Actually interested to see a bit more of Werner and the few lads at Dortmund too. Hope it's not ruined too much as a spectacle.

Most fans will have an eye on Werner because he's in the transfer news so much.
    Dortmund have some very nice players and are normally easy on the eye.
    Don't like RB at all, they aren't much liked in Germany either apparently but they can be a very good watch.
    As a spectacle it might not be as good as we want and will give us a better inside into what games could be like in the Prem when it returns but it will certainly be better than no footie at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Be interesting to watch Werner as an lfc fan. Think he would add even more dynamism to our attack. Hopefully the rumours are true and the club sign him.

ricero wrote: »
    Be interesting to watch Werner as an lfc fan. Think he would add even more dynamism to our attack. Hopefully the rumours are true and the club sign him.

whats the story with his clause, has that expired now?

the transfer window will be interesting in general.

utd were linked with jude bellingham for a hefty enough amount i think. wonder will they try leverage a lower deal, if the rumours are true of course.

whats the story with his clause, has that expired now?

the transfer window will be interesting in general.

utd were linked with jude bellingham for a hefty enough amount i think. wonder will they try leverage a lower deal, if the rumours are true of course.

I always had feeling that the bellingham deal was done maybe not but it was just a bit too public him driving out of Carrington with his parents.

Id imagine the mega money deals will be non existent this summer mostly because they haven't a clue for definite whats gonna happen next season it could end up like this.

Might see plenty of loam deals with clubs trying to get big money wages off the books.

• Advertisement

Most fans will have an eye on Werner because he's in the transfer news so much.
    Dortmund have some very nice players and are normally easy on the eye.
    Don't like RB at all, they aren't much liked in Germany either apparently but they can be a very good watch.
    As a spectacle it might not be as good as we want and will give us a better inside into what games could be like in the Prem when it returns but it will certainly be better than no footie at all.

No RB are hated in Germany because they are against the grain. Most if not all the rest of the clubs are fan owned or have shares in the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Errr..... It's Kung Flu actually

Errr..... It's Kung Flu actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Chy-Na!!!

I always had feeling that the bellingham deal was done maybe not but it was just a bit too public him driving out of Carrington with his parents.

Id imagine the mega money deals will be non existent this summer mostly because they haven't a clue for definite whats gonna happen next season it could end up like this.

Might see plenty of loam deals with clubs trying to get big money wages off the books.

didnt know that happened. have no idea about him. might check him out on FM20, they have a decent record! :pac:

i dunno about the 2nd paragraph. bigger clubs will look to capitalise, with smaller struggling clubs needing the $$$. i agree about the mega transfers, i think the volume of transfers could increase though. the bigger clubs could fill their ranks for cheaper. but yeah, a lot will depend on a vaccine, and what the 20/21 season may look like.

what are we referring to as this season and last season? i'm getting confused! (i know the technical answer!)

didnt know that happened. have no idea about him. might check him out on FM20, they have a decent record! :pac:

i dunno about the 2nd paragraph. bigger clubs will look to capitalise, with smaller struggling clubs needing the $$$. i agree about the mega transfers, i think the volume of transfers could increase though. the bigger clubs could fill their ranks for cheaper. but yeah, a lot will depend on a vaccine, and what the 20/21 season may look like.

what are we referring to as this season and last season? i'm getting confused! (i know the technical answer!)

Wont link the story because of where it is but this is his parents and he was in back on 9th of march.

NINTCHDBPICT000569599867.png

Yeah I'd imagine lots of clubs will be looking to bring in money someway with no gurantee of tv money id say. All a big mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Surely his remit should just be health and safety aspects.

Why? He's the Sport Minister. His remit is to look after the wellbeing of sport in the country. If that includes making sure clubs don't go under, so be it.

Chy-Na!!!

love the way he asks the reporter to repeat herself. kung flu, china!

Why? He's the Sport Minister. His remit is to look after the wellbeing of sport in the country. If that includes making sure clubs don't go under, so be it.

not really. he's holding the bigger clubs to ransom, knowing their desperation to get going again.

if (for example) asda failed. imagine the government saying to tesco you can only open up if you bail asda out.

or something more realistic. ryanair, you can only fly into england if you give virgin a bail out.

its not their remit at all. clubs are run as businesses. maybe the government should step in and provide the funds? its so important to the community and the well being of all the locals afterall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If the new league season won’t start until September the schedule is going to be crazy. 5 PL games a month plus CL for the top teams.

The injury list will be long, who has the best under 23 squad this year? There could be a few surprises.

If the new league season won’t start until September the schedule is going to be crazy. 5 PL games a month plus CL for the top teams.

The injury list will be long, who has the best under 23 squad this year? There could be a few surprises.

right now the euros are due to start on 11/06/2021. thats the deadline uefa are working to, bout 13 months.

can you do the remainder of this season and next by then (+ 2 mini preseasons, internationals, international friendlies + warmup camp)?

i dont think so. they can push the euros back by about 6 weeks i reckon (taking into account Qatar - bet they wished they didn't take those bribes now!)

i dont think there's enough time to fit all that in. based upon that, i think this season could be the one to go. like, somethings gotta give.

if the entirety of 20/21 is written off, then thats a different story. Something I have been staunchly against from the get go. but frankly will never happen due to $$$.

ETA: didnt even mention CL/Eurpoa league, which is yet more congestion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement