Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

not really. he's holding the bigger clubs to ransom, knowing their desperation to get going again.

if (for example) asda failed. imagine the government saying to tesco you can only open up if you bail asda out.

or something more realistic. ryanair, you can only fly into england if you give virgin a bail out.

its not their remit at all. clubs are run as businesses. maybe the government should step in and provide the funds? its so important to the community and the well being of all the locals afterall

Football is quite obviously more than business. If it wasn't, how do you explain the 3pm broadcasting rule? That's a government mandate, and this can be too.

Other businesses are irrelevant. Nothing to do with a Sport Minister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Football is quite obviously more than business. If it wasn't, how do you explain the 3pm broadcasting rule? That's a government mandate, and this can be too.

what is the broadcasting rule again? what was the genesis of that rule? dont know!

the highlighted bit, really? if they're so concerned about the community; have the community been consulted upon re league resumption? i massively doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

what is the broadcasting rule again? what was the genesis of that rule? dont know!

the highlighted bit, really? if they're so concerned about the community; have the community been consulted upon re league resumption? i massively doubt that.

Well, football is more than a business - it's the most popular sport in the UK. Football going to the wall would be like the GAA going to the wall here - the social impacts to the community of football not running at every level would be hard to calculate. Add to this the fact that beyond a certain level football then also becomes a massive business, it's clear that the sport would be reasonably high on the governments agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

3pm blackout is nothing to do with the government. It's in uefa regulations & requested by the FA, they could stop looking for it any season they want.

Started by smaller clubs fearing their business would be affected by lower attendance because of games on TV

I don't think Downen or the government are demanding this as suggested, just using it as an opportunity. If it doesn't happen the big rich PL, sky + BT are to blame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One more sleep to live football,none of this Bate Borisov stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Did anybody watch that Belarus stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dortmund v Schalke is a great first match too. Leipzig v Freiburg won't be a bad game either.

No real affiliations to the league but think I'll look at Dortmund because Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If I was still a betting man I'd be looking at Under 2.5 goals every game this weekend :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

batistuta9 wrote: »
    3pm blackout is nothing to do with the government. It's in uefa regulations & requested by the FA, they could stop looking for it any season they want.
    Huh, always thought that was law. Guess not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Downen made a few soundbites but I'd be surprised if much of it happened.

If he really wanted to help the lower leagues he could offer government support instead of expecting EPL teams to do it.

It all sounds great with FTA matches and money from EPL going towards lower teams but actually doing it will be another issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

League One chairmen unable to reach a decision on ending the season or not. Also, yesterday Peterborough, Oxford, Sunderland, Fleetwood, Portsmouth and Ipswich released a statement saying they had "no desire for voiding the season, points-per-game scenarios or letting a computer decide our footballing fate". Presumably that means most other teams want it finished.

League Two meeting shortly.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looking forward to watching some live football this weekend even with lack of crowd atmosphere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Drumpot wrote: »

Yeah, sure did. Better than nothing and 8 goals in the last match!

Speak Now wrote: »
    Looking forward to watching some live football this weekend even with lack of crowd atmosphere.

Whatever about my misgivings about sport restarting which don't need restating, it is honestly quite a dull spectacle watching on TV without crowds.

The last round of Rugby League in Oz before lockdown was behind closedown doors and it was surprising how poor it was compared with having the usual crowd noise.

I might even prefer the Belarus league with a bit of ambient noise to just the footballers/coach shouting at each other that we are going to get with the Bundesliga.

Even if I'm not at all convinced, I'm sure most are, that any football is better than none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Stick on music and watch the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If the new league season won’t start until September the schedule is going to be crazy. 5 PL games a month plus CL for the top teams.

The injury list will be long, who has the best under 23 squad this year? There could be a few surprises.

Next season, in the way that we understand it, is not going to be a thing. It'll be underway a few weeks when the second wave of infection and associated lockdowns take hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Virgin Media customer.

Am I right to assume the only way I can get the channels for the Bundesliga is the Sports Extra pass on Now TV?

Yeah I watched lots of it.Standard is OK and a bet or two adds to the excitement

howiya wrote: »
    Virgin Media customer.

Am I right to assume the only way I can get the channels for the Bundesliga is the Sports Extra pass on Now TV?

Are the BT Sports channels on Now TV ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Are the BT Sports channels on Now TV ?

Yes as Sports Extra.

Yes as Sports Extra.

Ahh up here you can get a BT Sports pass like now tv but i have my boardband with bt so get them on my tv anyways

League Two appears all but confirmed as done. Apart from playoffs, which I'm surprised about, thought they'd just have 4th place go up. The way the points are weighted will decide whether Northampton sneak in to playoffs or not.

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1261281245000056840?s=20

Edit: looks like the mighty Cobblers are in the play offs, if they happen. No relegation from League 2, so not sure what'll happen promotion wise from them conference. They need to add a team to replace Bury, and also Macclesfield may go out of business before next season (as may be other clubs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I really think the FA/PL and EFL need to band together on testing and pay for it, i don't think it should be on the individual clubs to pay for it. Even for just the fact it would dissuade clubs low on cash from doing as many tests as needed.

Easier for the PL clubs to foot the 4million bill through the end of the season (not sure if the PL are paying for it or each club) but in lower leagues, it becomes difficult through impossible. Won't be much easier next season either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I really think the FA/PL and EFL need to band together on testing and pay for it, i don't think it should be on the individual clubs to pay for it. Even for just the fact it would dissuade clubs low on cash from doing as many tests as needed.

Easier for the PL clubs to foot the 4million bill through the end of the season (not sure if the PL are paying for it or each club) but in lower leagues, it becomes difficult through impossible. Won't be much easier next season either.

Youd like to see a contribution from the TV providers too imo, they are making money off the back of having games to televise, no games = massive hit to advertising income. Sky et al need the teams playing as much as the teams need their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

At the least, if lower league clubs put forward average attendances and expected revenue for their remaining games, get this dollar amount together and let the PL or FA or FL give some money to the clubs. It could be the difference between saving clubs or not.

In Ireland, the FAI haven't a hope of doing it with every club unfortunately, but there was some money given by UEFA to each individual football organisation, so hopefully a lot of this money can find its way to the clubs who heavily rely on people going through the turnstiles.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    At the least, if lower league clubs put forward average attendances and expected revenue for their remaining games, get this dollar amount together and let the PL or FA or FL give some money to the clubs. It could be the difference between saving clubs or not.

Give money to CL,League 1 and 2 only or what about National leagues?

If you include all those teams it near 120 teams .Who decides what leagues get help?

Best I can see is some cash getting paid to tide clubs over for a few months at most.Wont surprise me to see plenty of clubs go to the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

In Ireland, the FAI haven't a hope of doing it with every club unfortunately, but there was some money given by UEFA to each individual football organisation, so hopefully a lot of this money can find its way to the clubs who heavily rely on people going through the turnstiles.
    Think i read on here that the ufea money was already spent by the fai before this blew up.

Reports in Spain that August 7th has been set as the date of the second leg of the Champions League game between City and Madrid.

I wonder how Aguero feels about playing in that game since he hasn't won a Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Reports in Spain that August 7th has been set as the date of the second leg of the Champions League game between City and Madrid.

I wonder how Aguero feels about playing in that game since he hasn't won a Champions League.

You're going to hold him to the same opinion he had in August which will be months old and potentially new things discovered and the likes?

Sounds like he can't win with you.

They have announced the infection rate has increased in the UK this evening and now there are over 41k deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They have announced the infection rate has increased in the UK this evening and now there are over 41k deaths.

it's pretty much incrasing every day, or are you refering to the R0 number?

If the later, where are you getting this (not that I don't believe you, I just want to keep an eye on it myself)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

it's pretty much incrasing every day, or are you refering to the R0 number?

If the later, where are you getting this (not that I don't believe you, I just want to keep an eye on it myself)

Coronavirus infection 'R' rate in UK creeps up
    The infection rate in the UK has gone up and is close to the point where the virus starts spreading rapidly, government scientific advice says.

The so-called "R-number" is now between 0.7 and 1.0 - it needs to be kept below one in order to stay in control.

The rise in the figures is thought to be driven by the virus spreading in care homes and hospitals.

The effect of the changes to lockdown announced by the prime minister on Sunday is still unknown.

R is the number of people each infected person passes the virus on to, on average.

The R-number had been sitting between 0.5 and 0.9. Any increase limits the ability of politicians to lift lockdown measures.

Health secretary Matt Hancock said the R-number was an "incredibly important figure" and it was important to note "we don't think that it is above one".

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-52677194
    The UK’s R rate is still dangerously close to one, having risen in the past week to between 0.7 and 1, bringing lockdown-easing moves into question. An R value above 1 means the epidemic will start to grow exponentially again, which wold result in a second wave of cases. The latest data from Sage is based on the levels of transmission from two to three weeks ago, calling into question whether England should be easing its lockdown restrictions just yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/15/uk-coronavirus-live-union-leaders-to-meet-government-about-reopening-english-schools

Club Brugge confirmed champions of Belgium.

There were 15 points clear when the season was suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Most deaths outside of the States by a significant margin and if the infection rate is steadily increasing then in all likelihood that's going to increase substantially too. Boris has made some bags of things there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

League Two appears all but confirmed as done. Apart from playoffs, which I'm surprised about, thought they'd just have 4th place go up. The way the points are weighted will decide whether Northampton sneak in to playoffs or not.

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1261281245000056840?s=20

Edit: looks like the mighty Cobblers are in the play offs, if they happen. No relegation from League 2, so not sure what'll happen promotion wise from them conference. They need to add a team to replace Bury, and also Macclesfield may go out of business before next season (as may be other clubs).

Bit cheeky to say 'we're going to promote 3, plus another through the play-offs but not relegate anyone'?
    That gets very interesting if League One above them says the same thing.

Bit cheeky to say 'we're going to promote 3, plus another through the play-offs but not relegate anyone'?
    That gets very interesting if League One above them says the same thing.

Wouldn't be as easy for League One because they're in the same Organisation, National Conference isn't in the EFL so the EFL can decide who does or doesn't join their league. It is crap for the Conference though. Still think at least one will come up though, to fill the gap Bury left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going get messy if things go to plan in League 1 and Championship

League of Ireland making plans to return, initially through the 4 teams involved in European competition.

I like the idea of the 4 teams trialing a tournament, it might give a bit of an unfair advantage with longer training periods as a team but on the other hand if there are any problems or further spread of the virus then isolating the problem between 1-4 teams rather than 10 teams would help combat a mass outbreak amongst the clubs and league.

https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1261381361618677761?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oh interesting news on the Eredivisie that the judge upholds Dutch Football Association's decision to end the season without promotion or relegation

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/05/14/dutch-eredivisie-suspend-promotion-relegation-judge-ruling

Could be a catalyst for other leagues

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Oh interesting news on the Eredivisie that the judge upholds Dutch Football Association's decision to end the season without promotion or relegation

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/05/14/dutch-eredivisie-suspend-promotion-relegation-judge-ruling

Could be a catalyst for other leagues

What other leagues?

Bundesliga is starting back tomorrow. Portuguese League is confirmed to be returning in June. Danish league is resuming at the end of May. There are plans being put in place for Serie A, Premier League, La Liga & Turkish leagues to return in June. French, Belgian & Dutch leagues are finished. That's pretty much all of the European divisions at the top end of the scale that are either finished or have plans in place to resume the league and finish the season as normal, just behind closed doors.

Edit: or do you mean that Belgian & French teams that were relegated from their respective leagues will also be bringing that decision to court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What other leagues?

Bundesliga is starting back tomorrow. Portuguese League is confirmed to be returning in June. Danish league is resuming at the end of May. There are plans being put in place for Serie A, Premier League, La Liga & Turkish leagues to return in June. French, Belgian & Dutch leagues are finished. That's pretty much all of the European divisions at the top end of the scale that are either finished or have plans in place to resume the league and finish the season as normal, just behind closed doors.

Edit: or do you mean that Belgian & French teams that were relegated from their respective leagues will also be bringing that decision to court?

Belgium, France and The Netherlands all have new TV deals starting next season. There's much less penalty not finishing this season under the old deal than there is with not starting next season, the first under the new deal, on time

It's pretty clear to me that this is the reason these leagues aren't attempting to restart. They want to give next season every chance of starting on time. For some of the other leagues, the financial hit is nearly the opposite with potential rebates for not finishing.

It's just money. The only league I know of that has a new TV deal starting next season that hasn't yet ended the league is Scotland. Watch out for that one I bet you'll see the same thing happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Headshot wrote: »

Wants testing to go to frontline workers but doesn’t want to go back because the government just want the £4 billion in tax it makes of football. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Wants testing to go to frontline workers but doesn’t want to go back because the government just want the £4 billion in tax it makes of football. :pac:

I think you’re completely misquoting him there. He’s worried about his health and the health of his family and he (rightly or wrongly) thinks the restart is for that tax. The tax wasn’t his reason for objecting.

Collie D wrote: »
    I think you’re completely misquoting him there. He’s worried about his health and the health of his family and he (rightly or wrongly) thinks the restart is for that tax. The tax wasn’t his reason for objecting.

I can see a scenario where a player or players get the virus from playing the sport and there is a death (possibly in their family) as a result. The football “community” will rally round have some sort of “isn’t it awful” lip service moment and plough away when the 30 second attention span of the public moves on.

I’m not sure what can be done to mitigate the virus and make the environment safe for footballers. But I think it’s unfortunate that a lot of people will be taking pops at the players who are genuinely worried. If anything I’d have more respect and time for those who are thinking more of their families and their health then players who don’t give it the same amount of consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

In all likelihood with the constant testing the players will be safer than your average Tesco employee but I certainly wouldn’t hold it against them if they don’t want to play.

The lads on the pitch are the main stakeholders here. Not the chairmen, not the league and not the fans at home. They definitely need to be a part of the discussion for any restart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Safety is vital and football must only return safely.

I am not too worried about premier league footballers though. They are privileged compared to lots of people in society who earn far less, don't have the means to look after their family or put processes in place to protect them, have had no choice but to go to work throughout the pandemic. They are in a much better position than people earning so so much less and denied the chance to work at all.

Deeney talking about how be okay to go broke does not stack up when he earns 5 figures per week. I expect he just got carried away rather than meaning to be so ignorant of the people keeping countries functioning.

The premier league can put in systems to make it relatively safe. That is not something that can be done lower down the football ladder or in other places, look at the meat factory story from this week.

So yeah bohoo Troy Deeney and the other footballers should not be a message created for or by them. They are right to look for safety, right to resist going back and to look out for themselves and family but they need to manage their message better considering the starting point they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can see a scenario where a player or players get the virus from playing the sport and there is a death (possibly in their family) as a result. The football “community” will rally round have some sort of “isn’t it awful” lip service moment and plough away when the 30 second attention span of the public moves on.

I’m not sure what can be done to mitigate the virus and make the environment safe for footballers. But I think it’s unfortunate that a lot of people will be taking pops at the players who are genuinely worried. If anything I’d have more respect and time for those who are thinking more of their families and their health then players who don’t give it the same amount of consideration.
    I agree with you, and I think it is a valid concern players have. But i just don't know what the possible solution would be. Not to say that there is one, of for Deeney there could be one.

If Deeney worked in Ikea, would he not return to work until a vaccine is found, proven and widely distributed to the entire population? By the sounds of it, no he wouldn't, and that is a choice he would be able to make (same as I feel he can make now).

Has Deeney and his family 100% isolated, not leaving the house etc, for the duration or has Deeney gone out for runs etc keeping his fitness up (as one small example). Has he taken, albeit small, risks already?

Absolutely everyone is going to have to wrestle with the risk factor of Covid-19 over the next 12 months. And most won't be working in environments with such wide ranging, and actually enforced, safety protocols.

With German football returning today, what has the discourse there been? If you take away arguments over PPE for frontline workers (as, imo, that is a very different argument and has essentially nothing to do with safety and the return of football), have the players in germany been bullied in to it? are they not as smart as PL players? Do they not share the exact same concerns, and if they don't... why don't they? Lewandowski has family just as much as Deeney does.

Deeneys comments on bringing home the virus and being the source of ilness or death in their family - is no different from the guys delivering pizza, delivering post or parcels, working in restaurants, super markets or pharmacys.

There really isn't a right or wrong side on this, it is a very tough situation for absolutely everyone.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the PL does return. Will someone like Deeney refuse to play? If he does, what are the ramifications of that decision. Can he nullify his contract on health grounds? If he does, is that him done with football completely? I would guess Watford would still hold his registration and could demand compensation if Deeney looked to return to football following distribution of a vaccine. If deeney doesn't refuse to play, what would that say of the stance he has put forward now? Would deeney be quiet if he was absolutely forced to return against his wishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If a footballer doesnt want to play they just need to say I wont accept payment until Im ready to return to play. Should be treated like a career break. I get why a footballer wouldnt want to return to play everyone has a different take on the virus and different circumstances at home. However the majority of players do want to return and if its deemed by authorities safe to do so let them go back and earn money.

• Advertisement

I agree with you, and I think it is a valid concern players have. But i just don't know what the possible solution would be. Not to say that there is one, of for Deeney there could be one.

If Deeney worked in Ikea, would he not return to work until a vaccine is found, proven and widely distributed to the entire population? By the sounds of it, no he wouldn't, and that is a choice he would be able to make (same as I feel he can make now).

Has Deeney and his family 100% isolated, not leaving the house etc, for the duration or has Deeney gone out for runs etc keeping his fitness up (as one small example). Has he taken, albeit small, risks already?

Absolutely everyone is going to have to wrestle with the risk factor of Covid-19 over the next 12 months. And most won't be working in environments with such wide ranging, and actually enforced, safety protocols.

With German football returning today, what has the discourse there been? If you take away arguments over PPE for frontline workers (as, imo, that is a very different argument and has essentially nothing to do with safety and the return of football), have the players in germany been bullied in to it? are they not as smart as PL players? Do they not share the exact same concerns, and if they don't... why don't they? Lewandowski has family just as much as Deeney does.

Deeneys comments on bringing home the virus and being the source of ilness or death in their family - is no different from the guys delivering pizza, delivering post or parcels, working in restaurants, super markets or pharmacys.

There really isn't a right or wrong side on this, it is a very tough situation for absolutely everyone.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the PL does return. Will someone like Deeney refuse to play? If he does, what are the ramifications of that decision. Can he nullify his contract on health grounds? If he does, is that him done with football completely? I would guess Watford would still hold his registration and could demand compensation if Deeney looked to return to football following distribution of a vaccine. If deeney doesn't refuse to play, what would that say of the stance he has put forward now? Would deeney be quiet if he was absolutely forced to return against his wishes?

I agree with that but at premier league levels , players in their 30s don’t have to work as most have made their money. Maybe some will retire but I think they should be allowed to take breaks (not paid during it).

If you were a professional footballer which country do you think you would feel more comfortable playing the game? Germany or UK?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement