Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bit of an insight into how a League Two team are preparing to go back (for maximum of three games in the play offs). Hopefully they're televised to help recoup the money for testing etc.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-players-could-be-tested-three-times-week-when-training-returns-2857021

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Bookies have too much sponsorship at the moment in football, with the delay in streams people will stop doing live bets, which maybe a good thing for them but the bookies will not like it.

Past experience of PP live footie betting, it says streams are not live they're delayed (1/2mins) reason being so markets can be locked before the action be bet on after the fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Sky Germany with record viewing numbers for Bundesliga football the games also drew record viewing numbers in the States.

Bundesliga Return Draws Record Numbers For Sky In Germany

https://deadline.com/2020/05/bundesliga-return-draws-record-numbers-for-sky-in-germany-1202936949/

Bundesliga viewing figures were high for BT in the UK in contrary to this article in the Mirror

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bt-sport-suffer-disappointing-bundesliga-22044318

Dortmund Schalke had 500k. Previous high for Bundesliga this season was 80k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bookies have too much sponsorship at the moment in football, with the delay in streams people will stop doing live bets, which maybe a good thing for them but the bookies will not like it.

In-running is a small enough market.
    The bulk of the bookies money is still in pre-match bets - coupons, fgs, accums.
    Digital TV is noticeably behind anyway, if you ever switch to a radio commentary it can be a 30 sec difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The bulk of the bookies money is still in pre-match bets - coupons, fgs, accums.
    Digital TV is noticeably behind anyway, if you ever switch to a radio commentary it can be a 30 sec difference.

Amazon was worse. 2/3 minute delay.

Suspect they'll need to get that right first streaming wise if PL go down that route.

Lots voiced their concern about it online and was one of the main negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Digital TV 30 seconds difference where are you watching that? It is at most 1 or 2 seconds behind.

Bit of an insight into how a League Two team are preparing to go back (for maximum of three games in the play offs). Hopefully they're televised to help recoup the money for testing etc.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-players-could-be-tested-three-times-week-when-training-returns-2857021

Sky have the rights to all the play-offs so of course they will be on tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Generally, I agree - time to move on. But let's be honest, if the null & void option was looking more and more likely, you'd have plenty of lads on here giving it large.

Who knows what will happen - null/void could yet end up being an option if things go horribly wrong over the next while, and it was reasonable to have a discussion about it at the time, but there were lads on here who were giving their opinion as fact and implying that people who thought the league would continue BCD were simply delusional or idiotic.

Nobody is talking about nulling and voiding the season and I don't think they ever were tbh.

Why do you think people would be "giving it large"? It would de-base the whole meaning of an entire season so not really sure how anyone would be overly excited by it.

Not the first time you've mentioned similar in this thread if I remember correctly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some people have definitely been talking about nulling and voiding the season, we can debate how many and how seriously but it has been suggested on here multiple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Rock77 wrote: »
    And in my opinion Steven Gerrard is correct, who knows what could have happened.. crazy stuff awarding trophies to teams that haven’t won them

In all probability, Celtic would have increased their lead to clinch the title by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Some people have definitely been talking about nulling and voiding the season, we can debate how many and how seriously but it has been suggested on here multiple times.

I see I left out a word in my reply, was supposed to say seriously/really talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The past few pages is peek reading for Steve in terms of what happens in the forum once someone has an opinion at a time and then something changes.

1 post was all it took.

Surprised Celtic got awarded the title but premier League is expected to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Surprised Celtic got awarded the title but premier League is expected to play.

I've posted this a couple of times, Scotland have a new TV deal starting 2020/21 season with Sky (previously was BT)

Similar to Holland, Belgium and France - all have tv deals just expired and new ones starting next season and all have ended their leagues to maximise the chances of the new season starting on time.

It's no surprise that the SPL is treating this differently to the EPL. The financial incentives are on next season not this one, with the EPL it's nearly the opposite with threats of rebates if season finishes with fixtures outstanding

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46264665

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Oliver did a piece on sport and Coronavrius last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

In all probability, Celtic would have increased their lead to clinch the title by now

I have little doubt that Celtic would have won the title had the season been completed. I would hate to see Rangers win the title but I am certainly of the opinion they should be given the chance to.

Yes and I wish my holiday was not cancelled but it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You're not wrong.

But you're not right either :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11990643/premier-league-to-support-liverpool-trophy-presentation-if-safe-to-stage-one

Hopefully this can be allowed not only in England but in other major leagues concluding this summer.

Good talk

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11990643/premier-league-to-support-liverpool-trophy-presentation-if-safe-to-stage-one

Hopefully this can be allowed not only in England but in other major leagues concluding this summer.

If the games can go ahead surely they can have a trophy presentation..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rock77 wrote: »
    If the games can go ahead surely they can have a trophy presentation..

You would think so, it seems like a non-issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Whether you think he's right or wrong, it's admirable that he's stuck with convictions. Easier to do when you're financially well off but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As right as it was to award Celtic the spl, I see Hearts are threatening legal action over their relegation.

This is what will happen with lots of null and void cases. There is too much at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Whether you think he's right or wrong, it's admirable that he's stuck with convictions. Easier to do when you're financially well off but still.

yeah many won't be as lucky as him where they can just tell their employer they won't be coming in to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Relegating hearts was a ridiculous decision in the current climate. There’s only 12 teams in the SPL. They could easily have had no relegation and a 14 team league next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TV isn't actually Live as it is, it is on a minute or so delay - for reasons of Directing and security.

Anything I cant find suggests the only delay is a few seconds for transmission delays. Nothing like a minute or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Anything I cant find suggests the only delay is a few seconds for transmission delays. Nothing like a minute or more.

There was definitely a game I watched this season, West Ham v Liverpool, and the TV was about a minute behind real time. And my TV is legal too, not a stream or dodgy box!

Nunu wrote: »
    Relegating hearts was a ridiculous decision in the current climate. There’s only 12 teams in the SPL. They could easily have had no relegation and a 14 team league next season.

And mess up the rest of the leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would have to look against but I am convinced live footie is delayed for broadcast reasons. So they don't show streakers or anything problematic - they can direct to show a different feed to TV viewers than would have gone out fully live.

Remember it also being discussed when Rooney got suspended for swearing - that the TV Comps essentially chose to broadcast that.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    There was definitely a game I watched this season, West Ham v Liverpool, and the TV was about a minute behind real time. And my TV is legal too, not a stream or dodgy box!

Amazon was running about 1 minute behind alright. But that was down to being streamed.

EDIT, iirc they were over a minute behind Premier sports on sky. I switched to Premier for matches they had. The delay got annoying and the score apps were flashing goal alerts long before teams even looked like they might score on Prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

A mess up the rest of the leagues?

Not in a disasterous sense no. Both League 1 & 2 have 10 teams.

2 promoted from both leaves SPL 14 teams, League 1 stays on 10 teams and admittedly League 2 goes down to 8 teams for a season.

All very manageable.

Not in a disasterous sense no. Both League 1 & 2 have 10 teams.

2 promoted from both leaves SPL 14 teams, League 1 stays on 10 teams and admittedly League 2 goes down to 8 teams for a season.

All very manageable.

Why should the lower league go to 8 teams? Would it be fail on that league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No if any team deserves a slice of misfortune its them. Cheated their way around for few years. Wheel turning

Good on him for making a choice.

Rest of my post is anout the scenario rathet than aimed at you Kew.

I think the converstation and general decisons by clubs cannot be strictly be limited to his concerns or his situation, the general scenario will drive decisions.

The kit and things like that are no big deal in general, players could easily change in the car park, put their gear in a bag and leave it in the garage for a few days before washing it.

In his scenario he does not want to take any risk and as I said already well done to him on deciding what is acceptable risk.

For most players and family it is relatively safe when the strong awareness is there, the strict steps to protect people and players will be tested.

When tests go away, restrictions ease due to herd immunity, antibodies, vaccines and so on - this virus will still be there and able to attack the percentage of people with weak immune systems. The issue is not going away and the pro football industry is entitled to try and get back to business - just like any sector some people may not be able to continue to be a part of it if they believe the risk is too great to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Delighted Deeney stood up. He's in a good position that he's a club legend, he's to valuable to be ostracised by the club and that he probably has enough financial security to take wage hit for a few months.

He sets the benchmark for other players of less power to stand up and say I don't feel comfortable coming back.

It is amazing how one guy can achieve more than an entire PFA who are absolutely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think I heard recently that UK government said if professional sport is coming back then it will be an opt-in protocol for players. It kinda covers both parties in that if a player doesn't decide to come back they are protected from sanctions (although probably not entitled to wages) and that if they do opt-in and get the Virus the clubs are not liable.

My work place had a similar system just before the lock down, although it was an opt-out system. We all took it as we were facing the general public every day.

I think I heard recently that UK government said if professional sport is coming back then it will be an opt-in protocol for players.

They arent slaves. Everything they do is opt in.

They arent slaves. Everything they do is opt in.

Why did you ignore and remove the next part of the post that explains what opt in means?

They are important things that need to be aknowledged as part of the process of returning or electing not to return.

• Advertisement

It is amazing how one guy can achieve more than an entire PFA who are absolutely useless.

Deeney is the PFA rep for Watford, its why he is part of these discussions and why he had a platform to directly express these opinions as part of the discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Deeney is the PFA rep for Watford, its why he is part of these discussions and why he had a platform to directly express these opinions as part of the discussions.

he said he expressed this at a PL Team Captains meeting, not a pfa rep meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Nothing out of the ordinary so far anyway. Good to see comprehensive testing firmly underway

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1262760751619379200?s=21

6 positive tests over 3 clubs out of 748 tested in pre training testing.

Club staff, doesn't specify what role, or what's club

Edit: what he said^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Only 6, that's surprisingly low. Was expecting more. I'm assume they were asymptomatic.

I would say the Premier league saying they'd only need isolate for 7 days goes against any guidance I've seen. HSE suggest fever free for 5 days and 14 days from onset of symptoms.

It's probably more of a communication issue than protocol, and they probably are in truth following similar time frames, but they've over simplified the press release. (stating that 7 days for each, when in reality it will entirely depend how far along they are with the virus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would say the Premier league saying they'd only need isolate for 7 days goes against any guidance I've seen. HSE suggest fever free for 5 days and 14 days from onset of symptoms.

It's probably more of a communication issue than protocol, and they probably are in truth following similar time frames, but they've over simplified the press release. (stating that 7 days for each, when in reality it will entirely depend how far along they are with the virus)

I wonder if there's an "at least" missing or something? Where someone could be at the very tail end of it when the test/result is done, but still mandated to stay away for 7 days?

I believe it's in conjunction with further testing.

I think you are 7 days and retested, and re isolate if positive again.

2 weeks is in absence of a testing process.

I believe it's in conjunction with further testing.

I think you are 7 days and retested, and re isolate if positive again.

2 weeks is in absence of a testing process.

As I say I'm sure their systems are sound, but with such an emotive topic, they might have taken a bit more time with the press release. We shouldn't have to surmise anything, they should tell us.

• Advertisement

6 positive tests over 3 clubs out of 748 tested in pre training testing.

Club staff, doesn't specify what role, or what's club

Edit: what he said^

Those testing figures mention only tests rather than people tested is how I read it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement