Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

Wtf hahaha

That is some mutation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Wtf hahaha

That is some mutation

Are you replying to me or someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

rob316 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous analogy.

Go back through my posts. I've spent the day posting about those issues. Those are bigger problems to solve than Liverpool been crowned champions.

Sky will not pay the PL for an incomplete season. If you write off a league then they will be entitled to the season for nothing. Could you imagine 150m written off most clubs balance sheets?

Rendering the league void is the nuclear option for every club in the efl and pl.

You've spent the day coming up with every permutation you can think of that sees Liverpool be handed the title and only in the last hour have decided to think about other club's situations after being basically pressured into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You've spent the day coming up with every permutation you can think of that sees Liverpool be handed the title and only in the last hour have decided to think about other club's situations after being basically pressured into it.

My mother always said help the blind.

I posted this 9 hours ago
    You could declare Liverpool champions, relegate no one, bring up the 2 championship teams, play 22 the following season and relegate 5.
    The problem will remain though is the CL places, you could never get the clubs to agree especially with Man City after opening the possibility 5th place gets it, there is only 8 points between 4th and 9th as it stands, all of them have a legitimate chance of getting it. We all know the CL is a game changer in finances and attracting players.
    And all that is before you even consider the loss of revenue from Sky for cutting off a quarter of the season and bringing no conclusion.

I'm of the opinion you can't start a new season until you finish out the current, whenever that maybe. Even if it delays next season's starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Why declare Liverpool champions when they haven’t won anything and you’ve touched on it with the champions league/EL places.... no one will concede anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I think the timing of when they can play again will dictate what options are available and what solution they can come up with. So at the minute, it's pure speculation.

If they went with what you suggest (Liverpool champions, no relegation) and lets say football could recommence in mid-summer could they look at expanding the CL somehow. I realise this is a bit "John Delaney 33rd team" but could you look at expanding the comp and giving the existing teams in the qualifying spots a place in the competition. Then for anyone else who can qualify, have a play off for x amount of spots and format it in a way that too many clubs from a single country can't make it.

There are downsides - the money would have to be shared by more teams, the extra fixtures and so on. But this is a crazy situation - I don't think there is a clean solution to this mess whatever way it plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I think the timing of when they can play again will dictate what options are available and what solution they can come up with.

Exactly. As many people have said there's other things to focus on right now. Why the need to rush a decision?

Suspend it for a few weeks, get everybody safe, then reassess the situation.

All the speculation is going to continue simply because the sports pages have nothing else to write about. There should be no pressure to cancel or rejig future fixtures right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I said this yesterday and I’ll repeat it over the context of the chat now.

A lot will depend on UEFA and how they manage the CL & EL. Who they “award” the position of champions to will have a knock on effect. Not necessarily with the champions league as if it’s Real/Liverpool they both get in over their league positions domestically but the EL more so. Do Chelsea “retain” it as champions or United as the highest ranked team left? The FA will probably need these questions answered before they sort the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What needs to happen now is the CL/Euros need to be cancelled.
    No CL winner this year.
    No Euros, try again next summer.

Leagues may as well wrap up, because there is no way it will be clear soon enough to resume matches.

Each FA can decide whether to award the league title as positions currently stand, or else declare no winners.

If any teams try to mount legal challenges, they should be shamed into withdrawing them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Fifth tier games in England going ahead today. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If UEFA care about the game more than money they could resolve this. Euros will probably need to be moved to next summer. Individual countries could finish their current leagues and start new one as whenever that’s done. Make the European competitions a straight knock out - one legged ties if necessary.

Use the freed up days for internationals or domestic games - there’ll be reduced window for leagues and Euro playoffs will still need to be decided. All competitions can be resolved by summer of 2021 if this is resolved by August. Nations League can be scrapped if necessary.

NIMAN wrote: »
    What needs to happen now is the CL/Euros need to be cancelled.

Why?

8-10 wrote: »
    Why?

You think they should both go ahead?

You think they should both go ahead?

I think there's nothing to achieve by cancelling it today

Surely there's more important things to decide?

Why is it a must to immediately cancel things? It's not like they're happening this week or next month.

There's plenty of time. I don't see what the urgent pressure is to cancel the Euros today?

Collie D wrote: »
    If UEFA care about the game more than money they could resolve this. Euros will probably need to be moved to next summer. Individual countries could finish their current leagues and start new one as whenever that’s done. Make the European competitions a straight knock out - one legged ties if necessary.

Use the freed up days for internationals or domestic games - there’ll be reduced window for leagues and Euro playoffs will still need to be decided. All competitions can be resolved by summer of 2021 if this is resolved by August. Nations League can be scrapped if necessary.

Nobody knows how long this is gonna last so making suggestions like this is all a bit pointless atm.

I think there's nothing to achieve by cancelling it today

Surely there's more important things to decide?

Why is it a must to immediately cancel things? It's not like they're happening this week or next month.

There's plenty of time. I don't see what the urgent pressure is to cancel the Euros today?

Fair enough, but it is only delaying the inevitable.

The Euro's will be cancelled on Tuesday.
    I don't see the point of teams arsing around trying to fit in a knockout game behind closed doors when a lot of European countries will likely be in shutdown mode soon.

Several events for May are already called off locally cos the organisers know that it'll not be gone by then. You could leave it to a week before to cancel, but that is not allowing time for the public to cancel hotels, travel etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Nobody knows how long this is gonna last so making suggestions like this is all a bit pointless atm.

All with the proviso it’s resolved over the summer. I wasn’t suggesting they go ahead in the middle of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If any teams try to mount legal challenges, they should be shamed into withdrawing them!

If I was involved with a club in any capacity (from supporter up to chairman) that faced going out of existence as a result of having large amounts of money taken away at the whim of the FA, I'd happily back the taking of shame over extinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Whatever happens with league position and if there is a champion will have to be taken by UEFA as it will have to be the same for every league. I think if leagues can not be finished in the summer then all teams in champion league positions in all leagues will be given them. As a Liverpool not sure if they can be declared champions but then again if all other leagues declare champions I dont see why they would not. Teams to be relegated could be tricky.

If leagues finished I see no reason for an asterisk beside it.

I predict new UEFA laws like if x percentage is complete say 70% then that is final league position.

The panic of people not wanting to see Liverpool title and its delight of it happening rather then why it is happening says more about them which is not a good luck
    martingriff is online now Report Post

If I was involved with a club in any capacity (from supporter up to chairman) that faced going out of existence as a result of having large amounts of money taken away at the whim of the FA, I'd happily back the taking of shame over extinction.

I agree. FIFA , UEFA and countries own football bodies have to do everything that all clubs get financial help for yhis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A couple of hacks on MOTD seemed to think the Euros will be moved to clear the decks in the summer. Rob Harris sounded quite confident of it but only Tuesday (or a planned leak beforehand) will tell us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Why is it a must to immediately cancel things?

You know the answer to this.

Many rivals who protest to have the interest of public health at heart, just want to see Liverpool with no title. That's it. Bottom line.

Everything is speculation. If you're coming down hard on one side or the other, you're probably exhibiting bias and self interest.

The whole situation is the definition of 'wait and see', because it is unprecedented that there is a threat like this, with 80% of the season done, with a stupid amount of money at stake.

Everything this season could be voided.
    Euros could be moved to 2021.
    Games could go behind closed doors - this could include these games happening in a small time frame.
    Everything could stop as is, Liverpool get the title, and other positions worked out.
    There could be play offs.
    There could be a 22 team Premier League next season.

Anything could happen as long as the powers that be, including clubs, agree.

We know fúck all about what will actually happen, so just accept that any theory we put forward as to what will happen, is speculation.

SlickRic wrote: »

Many rivals who protest to have the interest of public health at heart, just want to see Liverpool with no title. That's it. Bottom line.

Everything is speculation. If you're coming down hard on one side or the other, you're probably exhibiting bias and self interest.

The whole situation is the definition of 'wait and see', because it is unprecedented that there is a threat like this, with 80% of the season done, with a stupid amount of money at stake.

Games could go behind closed doors - this could include these games happening in a small time frame.
    Everything could stop as is, Liverpool get the title, and other positions worked out.

We know fúck all about what will actually happen, so just accept that any theory we put forward as to what will happen, is speculation.

Go away with your reason approach:D:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Hopefully players in England follow this kind of example

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1238798259730165762?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

DM_7 wrote: »

Brighton have said they"ll cover staff wages for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

SlickRic wrote: »

****in deluded. Liverpool have won the league, everyone knows this. People are concerned about keeping safe, and just slagging about ye not winning the league. Relax.

Los Lobos wrote: »
    ****in deluded. Liverpool have won the league, everyone knows this. People are concerned about keeping safe, and just slagging about ye not winning the league. Relax.

Liverpool haven't won the league. The season isn't over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lol at the idea of taking the current table as final

If the season doesn’t resume on the 4th of April then it is voided and next season begins as if it were August 2019, realistically that’s the only thing you can do here

If the season doesn’t resume on the 4th of April then it is voided and next season begins as if it were August 2019, realistically that’s the only thing you can do here

There it is folks. Rayne Wooney has spoken.

If this things drags on a day more than 3 weeks, the whole thing is scrubbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Just awarding the league to Liverpool and having no relegation makes it very messy for next season assuming it can even start on time at end of August.

I'd prefer to have this season finish properly whenever it can, then have a shorter season next season. Maybe only play each team once in the league. Homes and aways seeded by where you finish this season.

Same for champions league group stages, etc.

It’s just simple logic really, IF the league doesn’t start back up on the 4th of April you can probably assume **** has hit the fan and it’s going to be a few months before there is a handle on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

DM_7 wrote: »

Some of the stuff billionaires get away with is mad. They should be the ones paying the arena staff, not a 19 year old kid.

Fair play to Zion but it's ridiculous that the 76ers owners, who are worth $5bn between them, haven't done anything.

It’s just simple logic really, IF the league doesn’t start back up on the 4th of April you can probably assume **** has hit the fan and it’s going to be a few months before there is a handle on this

Voiding the season is far from logical and is the worst case scenario. It has huge ramifications for every level of the league pyramids in every country, as well as European competitions.

I get that Utd fans have an enormous hard on for the possibility of Liverpool being denied the title, but this goes far beyond petty **** like that.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Brighton have said they"ll cover staff wages for the remainder of the season.

Theres no excuse for any PL club, at least , not paying their staff. Could probably include championship too. could be a couple of clubs below that level on shakey financial ground though, but players should be the first ones to not get paid (maybe a week each or something)

Voiding the season is far from logical and is the worst case scenario. It has huge ramifications for every level of the league pyramids in every country, as well as European competitions.

I get that Utd fans have an enormous hard on for the possibility of Liverpool being denied the title, but this goes far beyond petty **** like that.

Does it have significant ramifications if next season the leagues begin just as the August 2019 seasons did??

Turning back the clock 7 months makes far more sense than the delusional idea of finishing the leagues as they are with 9 games to play and 27 points to play for.

• Advertisement

Does it have significant ramifications if next season the leagues begin just as the August 2019 seasons did??

Of course it does. You'll have clubs getting european football money (participation money, gate receipts etc )they wouldnt have gotten and others missing out on millions. You have clubs that invested to make a push for promotions that now wont happen, giving them a full year of higher costs and lower income. It gives the teams that wouldnt have gone down from the PL for instance 10's of millions of a boost over the Championship ones.

Theres no reason to not finish out the leagues during the summer, should it allow.

Voiding the season is the absolute nuclear option for all invovled.

Take Utd. Getting CL qualification this season either through the league or Europa league, will alter the clubs short to medium term ambitions. Higher income, possibly different players signing etc.

Theres 3 clubs still in the FA cup that wont qualify for europe through the league, as it stands.

Talking about potential earnings is the problem, key word being potential, as in we don’t have a clue what difference 27 points will make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Utd fans should be careful what they wish for especially as they are sitting in 5th. Premier League owners, with the exception of Karren Brady, have no qualms with awarding Liverpool the league. The EPL would want it that way too as anything else would make a mockery of their competition.

Im not concerned about Liverpool being awarded it as I think its going to happen. Only a fool would argue with a 25 point lead and the other PL owners are pragmatic on that point. Once you take the tribalism out of it then it becomes obvious its the sensible thing to do.

I think fans of teams in the relegation zone and positions 5th to 8th have far more to worry about. West Ham are only outside the relegation zone on goal difference so its no surprise that Karen Brady is calling for the season to be voided. But Villa, Norwich and Bournemouth are not going to take that lying down. A solution will have to be found, even if it means a 23 team/44 games PL next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So if the season gets voided, do the players hand back all their salaries back to the clubs? Bonus payments for scoring X number of goals, or making X number of appearances etc.

Will clubs give back the TV money from the TV companies?

What about reimbursing season tickets that have been paid.

Some players are transferred and the buying club has to make an additional payment to the selling club after 50 games. f this threshold was met in the 19-20 season, should the club send that money back as the player didn't make those appearances.

Will Man City hand back the League Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is the cheat Daniel Sturridges ban now frozen as well until football restarts.

• Advertisement

Is the cheat Daniel Sturridges ban now frozen as well until football restarts.

Wouldnt think so. I'd imagine the lawyers would argue the ban is for specific dates. Whether football happens during those dates is irrelevant to that. He just lucks out imo.

If it was , say , a 10 game ban, they might have cause to say the games actually have to take place for him to be banned from them.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Premier League owners, with the exception of Karren Brady, have no qualms with awarding Liverpool the league.

When were the PL owners asked about that?

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1238883425324617729
    Uefa will consider moving Euro 2020 to December in a bid to allow the Premier League and other club competitions to catch up this summer following the unprecedented sporting chaos caused by coronavirus.

With the whole of Europe now in sporting lockdown, sources say the Uefa emergency meeting will discuss moving the international tournament as well as potentially the Champions League and Europa League. While the summer of 2021 is free of major men’s tournaments, the possibility of playing the international tournament later this year will also be raised for discussion amongst Uefa’s 55 member associations.

Moving the European Championship to December would mirror Fifa's plans for the 2022 World Cup, which also disrupts domestic competitions by beginning in November to help players cope with the heat in Qatar. Premier League clubs have already joined France, Germany, Italy and Spain in holding a winter break and plans have already started to shorten or move the break in two years when the World Cup gets played in November and December.

Those plans of a mid-season major tournament would be brought forward in the event of the Euros getting a six-month delay rather than being scrapped or played in 2021. Officials will thrash out a plan on Tuesday when they hold their meeting through video conference calling.

Why do UEFA dick around and not just do the sensible thing and announce its moving to next summer.

Theres a couple of seasons of maneuvering to try get the **** show of a Qatar WC on in December. They van hardly just drop a Euros in with 6 months notice.

Why do UEFA dick around and not just do the sensible thing and announce its moving to next summer.

Theres a couple of seasons of maneuvering to try get the **** show of a Qatar WC on in December. They van hardly just drop a Euros in with 6 months notice.

Everything should be on the table as options anyway, silly not to.

But id imagine after the dust settles we could be in for a lasting shift. Calendar year leagues across Europe like Ireland has with the big international tournements in December has to be a consideration.

Having a winter world cup could actually be a blessing in disguise. A bit more time to play with.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the world cup moved back a few months if possible.

If you really want to watch some decent football here it is KO 9 PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Move the euros to line up with African Cup of Nations allowing time to finish PL, EFL, CL etc start new season after the Euros, ACON to run into the winter World Cup in 2022 before gradually staggering it back to normal of 2 seasons?

Everything should be on the table as options anyway, silly not to.

But id imagine after the dust settles we could be in for a lasting shift. Calendar year leagues across Europe like Ireland has with the big international tournements in December has to be a consideration.

You think the Euros will attract huge crowds in the winter?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Oat23 wrote: »
    Some of the stuff billionaires get away with is mad. They should be the ones paying the arena staff, not a 19 year old kid.

Fair play to Zion but it's ridiculous that the 76ers owners, who are worth $5bn between them, haven't done anything.

He doesn't play for the 76ers?

It is a fair point in general that you make.

For me the players have the profile to get positive attention on what people can do to help each other.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement