Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Speak Now wrote: »
    Only 6, that's surprisingly low. Was expecting more. I'm assume they were asymptomatic.

Given they should have been all isolating, that low number isn’t that surprising. It would have been more surprising if it was high after lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

In shocking news, Hull City are the first championship team to oppose restarting league due to Covid concerns
    Who would of thought that the team that sold its best players in January and were in free fall would want to wrap it up now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

No if any team deserves a slice of misfortune its them. Cheated their way around for few years. Wheel turning

Hearts were also one of the most vocal opponents of restructuring the leagues the last time it was up for discussion, now rowing in to support it when it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,487 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Those testing figures mention only tests rather than people tested is how I read it

Could be, but I don't see why you would test someone twice, without a result from the first.

Second batch of testing to be conducted, report on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Could be, but I don't see why you would test someone twice, without a result from the first.

Second batch of testing to be conducted, report on Saturday.

Experience has shown that people sometimes need multiple swabs to get a decent test. Maybe who ever organised this insisted that two swabs were taken for every person just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I would say the Premier league saying they'd only need isolate for 7 days goes against any guidance I've seen. HSE suggest fever free for 5 days and 14 days from onset of symptoms.

It's probably more of a communication issue than protocol, and they probably are in truth following similar time frames, but they've over simplified the press release. (stating that 7 days for each, when in reality it will entirely depend how far along they are with the virus)

UK government have been saying 7 days since it started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

eigrod wrote: »
    Nothing out of the ordinary so far anyway. Good to see comprehensive testing firmly underway

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1262760751619379200?s=21

0.8% of all people tested have the virus. The number was around 0.6% in Germany at the start, so very similar numbers.

Ensuring those people are isolated from teammates and family at home to stop the spread is the next step and hopefully the spread is curtailed from here and also that they can make a recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,487 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Experience has shown that people sometimes need multiple swabs to get a decent test. Maybe who ever organised this insisted that two swabs were taken for every person just in case

currently would only work out at as 40 tests per club.

Considering players and Staff, I'd see 40 as low on average - so I can't see how clubs could be doing less than that in terms of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Give Liverpool the title and move on.

Zico wrote: »

Posts like these are more annoying than the null & voiders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Zico wrote: »

Not that simple. Champions League places? Pormotion? Relegation? Other leagues?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not that simple. Champions League places? Pormotion? Relegation? Other leagues?

And also, move on to what? This stuff has to be done at some point regardless, whether it's next month to finish the season, or 2 months later to start the next one.

Makes much more sense to trial their measures now over the remaining games to see hwo sustainable/successful they are, so they know what they're dealing with when it comes to a full season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    And also, move on to what? This stuff has to be done at some point regardless, whether it's next month to finish the season, or 2 months later to start the next one.

Makes much more sense to trial their measures now over the remaining games to see hwo sustainable/successful they are, so they know what they're dealing with when it comes to a full season.

I've said my bit about my preference for finishing now(not voiding), and starting next season as close to normal time, and I'm really skeptical about finishing this season, for health and practical reasons. Which don't need repeating. :pac:

Saying all that, to be honest your post makes a great deal of sense and maybe it is best to get everything up and running, with regards to protocols testing planning etc. If things pan out like I fear, then they have a head start on planing for next season, or if as most feel, and games continue safely and successfully to conclusion, the lead time for next season can be greatly reduced and prep all but in place.

Don't think I can go any further down the road to Damascus though. :)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe Deeney knew his team mates were not sticking to lockdown and that is the reason he didn't want to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Watford will be changing tack and asking for season to be ended as is :pac:

Gonna be tough for them to stay up even if only missing Deeney, but if more players stay away also, hard to see them staying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Maybe Deeney knew his team mates were not sticking to lockdown and that is the reason he didn't want to go back.

Where did it state that his teammates weren't sticking to lockdown?

That's a bit of a slur against the Watford team and their staff without any proof.
    Maybe they got it shopping or exercising like they were allowed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

That's a bit of a slur against the Watford team and their staff without any proof.
    Maybe not his teammates but several players recently have been caught breaking distancing rules including prostitutes and random hookups. He is expected to be on the field tackling sweating near them etc. Burnley, Arsenal and Chelsea are just 3 teams with previous confirmed cases that Watford are due to play. Add in Hudson-Adoi allegedly having relations with a complete stranger only a few days ago I wouldn't blame him for being worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Maybe not his teammates but several players recently have been caught breaking distancing rules including prostitutes and random hookups. He is expected to be on the field tackling sweating near them etc. Burnley, Arsenal and Chelsea are just 3 teams with previous confirmed cases that Watford are due to play. Add in Hudson-Adoi allegedly having relations with a complete stranger only a few days ago I wouldn't blame him for being worried.

From what I hear Troy Deeney has lost three family members to Covid-19 including his father. He also has a 5 month old child that has had breathing difficulties. If all that is true if I was him there is no chance I would be playing football.

Hardly a slur, more of an observation.

If you're adhering to lockdown strictly your chances of infection are very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Rock77 wrote: »
    From what I hear Troy Deeney has lost three family members to Covid-19 including his father. He also has a 5 month old child that has had breathing difficulties. If all that is true if I was him there is no chance I would be playing football.

His dad died in 2012.

Who belonging to Deeney died from Covid19?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

His dad died in 2012.

This is how conspiracy theories start :):)

On a serious note if Deeney has a kid with breathing difficulties I wouldn't blame him he is totally in his right.

The one thing i would say is if a footballer is not gping to play i dont think they should be picking up full wages. You cant say im not risking my family playing football but next day happily taking a huge wage every week.

jayo26 wrote: »
    This is how conspiracy theories start :):)

This is why I said ‘from what I hear’ and ‘if it’s true’ I was sure I read that yesterday... my bad, I’ll have to look it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Three positive tests at Watford - would indicate Deeney defnitley made the right choice.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52726278

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

He said he had lost people close to him but I don't think they were recent or virus related. He didn't say so anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I read about three deaths yesterday in a story where Deeney was talking about covid19.

I think that while he was talking about Covid19 and mentioned he has lost three important people it was in the sense of how important his family is now, as others are gone, rather than Covid19 causing their deaths.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    I read about three deaths yesterday in a story where Deeney was talking about covid19.

I think that while he was talking about Covid19 and mentioned he has lost three important people it was in the sense of how important his family is now, as others are gone, rather than Covid19 causing their deaths.

Yeah just looked it up.. my bad.

Nobody belonging to Deeney died due to Covid19.

I do still think that he’s right not to go training when he has a 5 month old at home who has or had breathing difficulties, and he has already stated he doesn’t care if he gets paid or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mariappa has confirmed that he's the Watford player who tested positive.

He seems fairly shocked at his result too.
    "Ever since I got my positive result back on Tuesday, I’ve been scratching my head to try to work out how I might have got the coronavirus. It was a big surprise because I haven’t really left the house."

Of the 4 people named from the 6 confirmed cases in the PL, he is the 1st player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

FitzShane wrote: »
    He seems fairly shocked at his result too.

Of the 4 people named from the 6 confirmed cases in the PL, he is the 1st player.

A tiny percentage affected so.

Most of those involved in football clubs seem to have followed the restrictions.

NIMAN wrote: »
    A tiny percentage affected so.

Most of those involved in football clubs seem to have followed the restrictions.

Yeah most have, although I see that Aurier is under investigation by Spurs for a third time for undertaking more non-essential services.

The worry I would have, for the next phases of football returning, is that players will see all these negative tests and low numbers and think that everything is fine and that they can return to a 'normal' life pretty soon. No different to all walks of life I guess. Still have to remain vigilant though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

FitzShane wrote: »
    Yeah most have, although I see that Aurier is under investigation by Spurs for a third time for undertaking more non-essential services.

The worry I would have, for the next phases of football returning, is that players will see all these negative tests and low numbers and think that everything is fine and that they can return to a 'normal' life pretty soon. No different to all walks of life I guess. Still have to remain vigilant though.

I think this is where information and education will be vital. Not just on the virus, but on the reality of the situation for football, and for the players themselves... the difference between this going well or going poorly will have a huge impact on their professional careers, and football in England in general. If everyone takes it seriously, it works out, and we can launch into a full new season, it means their value is largely maintained. They’re still worth their massive wages. But if this thing has to be halted again and again, with more uncertainty for clubs, the players very quickly go from assets to millstones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jurgen Klopp back at Melwood today about players not wanting to play:
    It is the players' choice and that is clear

I said before the session, 'You are here on free will. Usually you sign a contract and you have to be in when I tell you, but in this case if you don't feel safe, you don't have to be here'.

There are no restrictions, no punishment, nothing. It's their own decision and we respect that 100 per cent.

Hard to disagree with him as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great words again from Klopp during these hard times. He truly is a class act of a person.

Chelsea have given Kante compassionate leave after he felt it wasn't safe to train in the UK, He turned up for training Tuesday and had been tested and cleared however he didn't turn up today and trained at home.

Dowden hopeful of deal to show Premier League matches free-to-air

Deal for free-to-air games a ‘win-win situation’, says Dowden
    ‘Productive discussions’ held between government and football
    Fans have been given encouragement that some Premier League matches will be televised free-to-air after “productive discussions” between the government and English football authorities.

Oliver Dowden, the culture secretary, believes such a deal could be a “win-win situation” for supporters and clubs.

ky and BT Sport have exclusive rights to show live Premier League matches in the UK with the BBC holding a deal for highlights. But with the planned resumption of top-flight football only possible behind closed doors, talks have been held over widening the television access.

Although stressing that the existing broadcast rights have to be respected, Dowden believes the absence of a Saturday afternoon blackout, which is enforced between 2.45 and 5.15 during the regular season but would not apply to any further games in this campaign, can provide some “flexibility”.

“I think that creates an opportunity for us to be able to get some sport, some Premier League free to air,” Dowden said at the UK government’s daily coronavirus briefing. “Those discussions are ongoing. I am having productive discussions – a couple of weeks ago and now the latest ones with Premier League, the EFL and the FA..........

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/20/dowden-hopeful-of-deal-to-show-premier-league-matches-free-to-air

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/20/dowden-hopeful-of-deal-to-show-premier-league-matches-free-to-air

Fingers crossed. It'd be an overdue boost for a lot of people, and a fantastic feast of football.

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed. It'd be an overdue boost for a lot of people, and a fantastic feast of football.

In empty stadia it'll not be a feast by any means.

It'll make hard watching.

A lot of the epl games were turgid with packed houses and atmosphere, imagine them now when they are like training sessions..

Count me out.

Just listening to the story from last weekend where Paul Dempsey was commenting on the Dortmund vs Schalke game from home when the Tesco delivery guy called to the door :)

Ian Drake commentating from home.

ewzzzdbxqacw60-6881283858396841645.jpg

In empty stadia it'll not be a feast by any means.

It'll make hard watching.

A lot of the epl games were turgid with packed houses and atmosphere, imagine them now when they are like training sessions..

Count me out.

They'll still be playing football though right? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Chelsea have given Kante compassionate leave after he felt it wasn't safe to train in the UK, He turned up for training Tuesday and had been tested and cleared however he didn't turn up today and trained at home.

Yeah if I were nervous about going back I'd still an least go back the first day as it's a way of getting tested.

Mariappa at Watford tested positive and said "If it wasn't for the fact I had gone back to training and had this test, then I'd never have found out that I had the virus and I would just be getting on with things as normal"

In fairness they're creating an environment around these players where they're giving them everything they can to feel comfortable. When you or I go to work now we have to take as many precautions as possible. For these guys they know everybody they interact with is tested, they have doctors around for advice and presumably immaculately cleaned facilities.

If there's still a player not yet comfortable then so be it, they stay at home and it's hard to be critical of such a personal decision, but overall I think it's a good thing that they're getting back this week.

6 wrote: »
    They'll still be playing football though right? :)

Of course they will, but mark my words the viewing figures for this will not be good.

Initially we might get a surge in people watching of course, cos they have missed football and will watch a few matches.

But when the initial excitement dies off, and they are watching games with no atmosphere, listening to the players shout at each other etc, they will soon tire of it.

Football has a very tough time ahead. The TV companies are going to suffer big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i wonder what the session was like on tuesday that he felt it was unsafe to return on wednesday. possibly chelsea player/staff tested positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Read where it says ky and Bt sport have the rights. ??
    Are they planning to pull a slippy one and fcuk Liverpool out of the title ? :)

ricero wrote: »
    Great words again from Klopp during these hard times. He truly is a class act of a person.

I like Klopp but it's a pretty facile comment by him.

It's very easy for him to say it. He's not the employer and then club is coasting to the title, so they can afford to leave players on 100 or 200k sit it out.

Now, if the manager of Watford or West Ham said it, that would be far more interesting, because there could be consequences for those clubs...

Of course they will, but mark my words the viewing figures for this will not be good.

Initially we might get a surge in people watching of course, cos they have missed football and will watch a few matches.

But when the initial excitement dies off, and they are watching games with no atmosphere, listening to the players shout at each other etc, they will soon tire of it.

Football has a very tough time ahead. The TV companies are going to suffer big time.

I have to disagree, a lot of people will enjoy hearing the players/managers shouting. A lot of people enjoy watching Sunday league football.

I only really watch Man Utd and Ireland games these days (I don’t like good football!) but I watched Dortmund last week out of interest and I remember saying ‘if this was Utd it would be brilliant‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Cardboard cutouts, pump in crowd sounds (like canned laughter in the big bang theory) and some 1/2 time fireworks, be grand.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement