Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

NIMAN wrote: »
    Of course they will, but mark my words the viewing figures for this will not be good.

Initially we might get a surge in people watching of course, cos they have missed football and will watch a few matches.

But when the initial excitement dies off, and they are watching games with no atmosphere, listening to the players shout at each other etc, they will soon tire of it.

Football has a very tough time ahead. The TV companies are going to suffer big time.

Been saying this all along

After the novelty of the game being back wares off people will just not be that interested in watching teams play in empty stadiums.

It's a very different product from what they are used of.

Even the fans who used to go to game or had season tickets might tire of it
    A lot of the enjoyment of going to a sports event is being there, among the crowd, hearing the roars, feeling the excitement
    You might get some of that from TV if there is a big crowd at a game, but you get none of it from behind closed doors games.

As for the free to air games, well Sky and/or BT are not going to give up high profile games so it's going to be the dross of the league that will be on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Rock77 wrote: »
    I have to disagree, a lot of people will enjoy hearing the players/managers shouting. A lot of people enjoy watching Sunday league football.

I only really watch Man Utd and Ireland games these days (I don’t like good football!) but I watched Dortmund last week out of interest and I remember saying ‘if this was Utd it would be brilliant‘

Exactly. Like so much else in life at the moment, we will adapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Cardboard cutouts, pump in crowd sounds (like canned laughter in the big bang theory) and some 1/2 time fireworks, be grand.

What? No cheer leaders ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not denying that many will watch as normal, but there is a massive cohort of people who are neutrals when it comes to football and watch it for the excitement, the entertainment value, the passion etc, and these folk will not pay to watch it.

I consider myself a football fan, but I would easily find myself losing interest in televised football if it was the same as the Bundesliga last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bold (or not) prediction. There will be free to Air games, and at least one of them will be a League One or League Two play off game. Little cost to Sky, government get their kudos and Premier League don't lose too much/anything.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

eigrod wrote: »
    Exactly. Like so much else in life at the moment, we will adapt.
    But will people pay for it ?

Some obviously will, but not at the same price as they were charged pre COVID.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If the TV games were on a 15 minute delay then they could easily add the correct crowd noise to the play. Hell they could even "green screen" in a crowd

A lot of the enjoyment of going to a sports event is being there, among the crowd, hearing the roars, feeling the excitement.

I agree.

But judging by attendances at League of Ireland, the majority of Irish football fans aren't that bothered about the experience of live football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I'm not denying that many will watch as normal, but there is a massive cohort of people who are neutrals when it comes to football and watch it for the excitement, the entertainment value, the passion etc, and these folk will not pay to watch it.

I consider myself a football fan, but I would easily find myself losing interest in televised football if it was the same as the Bundesliga last weekend.

There is a massive worldwide audience for PL football, with or without crowds. There will be a temporary dip in audience figures at some point, and thus club income will dip which will likely result in a levelling off of wages and transfer fees which in itself is a good thing. However there’s plenty out there across the world who can’t wait for it to back and are willing to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

DM_7 wrote: »

There are some countries missing from the map such as Wales which is cancelled with Connah Quay champions and Slovenia and Croatia which are returning this or next weekend but it's a good map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

kksaints wrote: »
    There are some countries missing from the map such as Wales which is cancelled with Connah Quay champions and Slovenia and Croatia which are returning this or next weekend but it's a good map.

Wales and Ireland are not part of it hence they have no colour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Leagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I agree.

But judging by attendances at League of Ireland, the majority of Irish football fans aren't that bothered about the experience of live football.

Not as black and white as that. More Irish people support English teams than Irish teams.

I'd go to more live games if the team I support was local, affordable and demand was low enough that you actually could get a ticket if you wanted to!

I'd say a lot of fans here are the same. The team you support on TV is preferrable to a team you don't support live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Of course they will, but mark my words the viewing figures for this will not be good.

Initially we might get a surge in people watching of course, cos they have missed football and will watch a few matches.

But when the initial excitement dies off, and they are watching games with no atmosphere, listening to the players shout at each other etc, they will soon tire of it.

Football has a very tough time ahead. The TV companies are going to suffer big time.

And if figures are up , you'll just tell us it's because it's free to air or because people are stuck at home etc and dismiss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Any idea on the plans for when the CL and EL 20/21 campaigns will begin?

The qualifying rounds would normally be starting at the end of June. With the 19/20 campaign probably not being finished until August, I imagine 20/21 will be pushed back by a few months. It'd be mad to start the 20/21 qualifiers when the 19/20 tournament hasn't finished.

I know none of this affects the big money teams but LOI clubs are surely counting on that money as I imagine are clubs in similar sized leagues.

I can imagine that Uefa are determined to have the group stages start 'as usual' in September so as not to further mess up the 20/21 calendar, bearing in mind they now have to account for Euro 2020 as well.

Its all a big mess and I'm worried that smaller leagues and clubs will be ignored in order to get things back to normal. The rush to get big money football back up and running makes me worry that might be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Small leagues are dead with no fan revenue coming through the doors and no tv contracts or large sponsorship deals to keep things moving. The CL Qualifiers aren't going to save a couple of LOI clubs.

Small professional football is dead until a vaccine or effective treatment and end of social distancing. UEFA will be smart enough to know that teams from certain leagues will be unable to fulfil fixtures, and are probably waiting for some leagues to officially go on long term hiatus before publishing schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Small leagues are dead with no fan revenue coming through the doors and no tv contracts or large sponsorship deals to keep things moving. The CL Qualifiers aren't going to save a couple of LOI clubs.

Small professional football is dead until a vaccine or effective treatment and end of social distancing. UEFA will be smart enough to know that teams from certain leagues will be unable to fulfil fixtures, and are probably waiting for some leagues to officially go on long term hiatus before publishing schedules.

None of what you state is a guarantee at all. Personally I am optimistic the situation will look alot better in 8 weeks or so.Cases low in many European countries that have eased lockdowns

wadacrack wrote: »
    None of what you state is a guarantee at all. Personally I am optimistic the situation will look alot better in 8 weeks or so.Cases low in many European countries that have eased lockdowns

Good for you.

Brave will be the Public Health officials that sign off on putting thousands of people together in a stadium before a vaccine or treatment is available. You might say that would be a particularly aggressive display of optimism, were it to come to pass. :)

Good for you.

Brave will be the Public Health officials that sign off on putting thousands of people together in a stadium before a vaccine or treatment is available. You might say that would be a particularly aggressive display of optimism, were it to come to pass. :)

It will be possible if cases keep dropping. Its will be about weighing up the risk during a certain period of time. If LOI can get funding for streaming the league which they are optimistic about then 2021 crowds maybe permitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It will be possible if cases keep dropping. Its will be about weighing up the risk during a certain period of time. If LOI can get funding for streaming the league which they are optimistic about then 2021 crowds maybe permitted.

Not really... it’s a catch-22. Cases dropped because people were in lockdown and distanced. They will start to steadily rise now with lockdown measures being eased - every governments plan will be to walk the tightrope of allowing the economy to start up again, whilst keeping enough measures in place to keep the R-number around, or below, 1. As soon as you allow actual crowds, that Number will absolutely and undeniably rise, and then you’re back to square one again.

Next to impossible to see mass gatherings of any kind before a vaccine or reliable cure. The risk of doing anything else is just way too high, with way too much at stake.

Look at S Korea, who have handled this better than any other country in the world. So from a position a million times better than ours, they tentatively reopened nightclubs, still with some measures in place - the virus spread like wildfire, and now they’ve had to take multiple steps backwards. Considering actual crowds at events with tens of thousands of people is many steps beyond this, it just looks totally infeasible.

• Advertisement

France and Holland are not allowing sport till September so their clubs won't be involved if any cl qualifiers get going.

I can't see how the champions League can be run next season. Certainly not as it normally is.

France and Holland are not allowing sport till September so their clubs won't be involved if any cl qualifiers get going.

I can't see how the champions League can be run next season. Certainly not as it normally is.

How about they go old school and just have the actual Champions. Like it used to be, not just a payday for Uefa and the usual suspect clubs. The European Cup has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How about they go old school and just have the actual Champions. Like it used to be, not just a payday for Uefa and the usual suspect clubs. The European Cup has a nice ring to it.

Doesn’t really help the main issue though. How can they even finish this years champions league with PSG and Lyon still in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CSF wrote: »
    Doesn’t really help the main issue though. How can they even finish this years champions league with PSG and Lyon still in it?

Was there not some article posted here last week where both PSG and Lyon will be allowed play games at a neutral venue in another country.

Both of those will be way off the pace though without competitive games when they come up against German, Spanish or English opposition.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not really... it’s a catch-22. Cases dropped because people were in lockdown and distanced. They will start to steadily rise now with lockdown measures being eased - every governments plan will be to walk the tightrope of allowing the economy to start up again, whilst keeping enough measures in place to keep the R-number around, or below, 1. As soon as you allow actual crowds, that Number will absolutely and undeniably rise, and then you’re back to square one again.

Next to impossible to see mass gatherings of any kind before a vaccine or reliable cure. The risk of doing anything else is just way too high, with way too much at stake.

Look at S Korea, who have handled this better than any other country in the world. So from a position a million times better than ours, they tentatively reopened nightclubs, still with some measures in place - the virus spread like wildfire, and now they’ve had to take multiple steps backwards. Considering actual crowds at events with tens of thousands of people is many steps beyond this, it just looks totally infeasible.

Its not rising in Europe.
    League of Ireland crowds are not comparable to the leagues you mentioned.
    Outdoor tranmission is extremely low. In a study in Japan Indoor transmission was found to be 19 times more likely. 80% cases are linked to 10 % of the cases also. Super spreading events are all Indoors. I expect this findings to go more mainstream in the next few weeks as we know more about the virus. No foregone conclusion their will be a 2nd wave also according to almost every expert in the scientific community. Its why we are seeing no models now. Its extremely hard to predict what will happen. But their are good signs atm.

Strikingly, only one instance of outdoor transmission — involving two men talking together in the village of Shangqiu, Henan province — was found “among our 7,324 identified cases in China with sufficient descriptions.”

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/China-study-suggests-outdoor-transmission-of-15229649.php.

If Thomond Park, Tallaght, Aviva and a 4th venue are used. Social distancing could be possible with crowds outdoors. The benefits for me would outweigh the risk especially if community transmission remains very low in Ireland.

Talk of waiting for a vaccine or some sort of magic bullet to fix the situation is not feasible and it is too pessimistic. We need to be fully aware of the risks before ruling something out. I think the governments plan in this country is too cautious especially if cases continue to drop

Outdoor tranmission is extremely low. In A Study in Japan Indoor transmission 19 times more likel. I expect this findings to go more mainstream in the next few weeks as we know more about the virus. No foregone conclusion their will be a 2nd wave also according to almost every expert in the scientific community. Its why we are seeing no models now. Its extremely hard to predict what will happen. But their are good signs atm.

Strikingly, only one instance of outdoor transmission — involving two men talking together in the village of Shangqiu, Henan province — was found “among our 7,324 identified cases in China with sufficient descriptions.”

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/China-study-suggests-outdoor-transmission-of-15229649.php.

If Thomond Park, Tallaght, Aviva and a 4th venue are used. Social distancing could be possible with crowds outdoors. The benefits for me would outweigh the risk especially if community transmission remains very low in Ireland.

Talk of waiting for a vaccine or some sort of magic bullet to fix the situation is not feasible and it is too pessimistic. We need to be fully aware of the risks before ruling something out. I think the governments plan in this country is too cautious especially if cases continue to drop

We’re weeks away from actually seeing if the numbers rise In Europe - we’re only at the very very beginning of the reopening phases now. I don’t expect them to rise exorbitantly since, as I said, they still all have heavy distancing restrictions in place, and will be trying to balance the economy with the risk. But I can’t see the downward trajectory continuing in the same way.

The biggest thing to think about is risk vs reward. In comparison to society at large, mass gatherings are a luxury. Just really can’t see a government taking that risk when the cost of it going wrong is so so incredibly high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And if figures are up , you'll just tell us it's because it's free to air or because people are stuck at home etc and dismiss it.

I find it very unlikely that more people will watch the new football product compared to the pre-Covid one.

But sure time will tell.

Lets come back here in a few months time and see what the media are reporting about it all.
    If the figures are up, I'll be first to say I was wrong.

No great surprise but the EFL want relegation from League Two before they ratify the agreement. 51% majority agreement is all they want from League One to make a decision, since currently they can't. Non weighted points to clarify final positions and play offs to still go ahead.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/21/efl-board-calls-for-relegation-after-league-two-attempt-to-block-drop-promotion-play-offs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

We’re weeks away from actually seeing if the numbers rise In Europe - we’re only at the very very beginning of the reopening phases now. I don’t expect them to rise exorbitantly since, as I said, they still all have heavy distancing restrictions in place, and will be trying to balance the economy with the risk. But I can’t see the downward trajectory continuing in the same way.

The biggest thing to think about is risk vs reward. In comparison to society at large, mass gatherings are a luxury. Just really can’t see a government taking that risk when the cost of it going wrong is so so incredibly high.

Your last paragraph is a very good point. It is all about context of the country, who will be attending, to what level covid is an area and the event.

If Covid19 gets into a school it is a more local matter but large events have a much bigger range of people attending from a variety of locations.

That is not really an issue is terms of League of Ireland compared to a top level league game in England or Celtic or Madrid.

I don't see any more risk in an LOI game than having public transport in Dublin at capacity or people on Campus in Trinity.

Relative to the amount of people heading around london every day is a game between Palace and Watford a high risk game in that context?

Clubs, league and public officials can take steps to limit people travelling or attending events.

Only allow people from the locality into games, temporarily have no away fans allowed with a reduced capacity. Lots of options that would not normally be considered or acceptable could be implemented and in the public interest to get some level of normality back.

You make some good points - but ultimately I still can’t see it. Again, risk V reward.

People need to be able to use public transport, people need to be able to get back to their educations and work. So even where the risks of elements of these are higher, they’re also a necessity for society to recover, so you put every redundancy in place you can and see how it works.

So while you could compare people going through packed turnstiles to people getting on the underground, people don’t need to go to football matches. And I just don’t see risks being taken under circumstances where the gain is so low. At best, I could only see a situation with only a tiny fraction of capacity being allowed, and under circumstances where you couldn’t even call it a crowd, or mass gathering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's not going to be enough to lift large-fathering restrictions. Countries are going to want to be VERY sure there'll be no jump in cases before they even think about allowing crowds to congregate.

It'll start and end much later for one thing. It may even take on a new temprary format - I can see one-off qualfiers or maybe even short week long round robin tournaments at single venues, as they do in other sports.
    CSF wrote: »

This year's will finish with a mini-tournament if it finishes at all. Some clubs might have to play home games at neutral venues (if they can find one) or behind closed doors, if there's no large rise in cases.

----

This, by the way, all supposes there's no major second-wave impact in autumn/winter of next year, which is not a safe supposition at all.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Outdoor tranmission is extremely low.

The issue isnt the outdoor transmission while standing apart from each other for 90 mins though.

The issue, as has been proven , is that people are selfish and ignorant. If people could be trusted to act properly and with cop on, there would be no need for lockdowns. A few simple directions about how you should act would be enough. But instead , all the people with the "what harm is me travelling to x place going to do" attitude prove the problems. one person , or a family, or a few families, travelling somewhere isnt the problem. Hundreds of families all going "well theres no law against it, if they can do it why cant I" and packing in to places is the problem.

FFS look at the reaction to being told about regularly washing your hands at the start of this. Grown ****ing adults going on like this is some new, high brow concept instead of something they should have been doing all their lives.

Now look at a stadium full of people, all wanting to get a drink or food or go to the toilet at the same time (before the match and at half time). Then theres getting them all in and out.

You're suddenly willing to risk your health and the hygiene of the areas you're touching to the lads that couldnt wait a little bit longer in a toilet queue so piss in and on the sinks instead. (not that that wasnt already an issue btw)

It'll start and end much later for one thing. It may even take on a new temprary format - I can see one-off qualfiers or maybe even short week long round robin tournaments at single venues, as they do in other sports.

There isnt the room for it to end later, the Euro's will be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Biggest risk in football stadiums would be the food and drink concourse if that wasnt allowed and with a 30% capacity think it would be fine. No harm to get rid of that food and drink anyway can ruin a match experience people constantly going up and down from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I know they still have to sort and finish this season, but I am surprised there hasn't been any talk on next season - how the calendar will be adjusted to allow for all the different competitions.

We can speculate about reduced league cup, or removal of replays in FA Cup (nearly there anyway), or even single leg CL or EL - but i find it odd we've heard nothing about this stuff being done. Last I heard Uefa were looking at more international games next year to keep the Nations League alive!

The issue isnt the outdoor transmission while standing apart from each other for 90 mins though.

The issue, as has been proven , is that people are selfish and ignorant. If people could be trusted to act properly and with cop on, there would be no need for lockdowns. A few simple directions about how you should act would be enough. But instead , all the people with the "what harm is me travelling to x place going to do" attitude prove the problems. one person , or a family, or a few families, travelling somewhere isnt the problem. Hundreds of families all going "well theres no law against it, if they can do it why cant I" and packing in to places is the problem.

FFS look at the reaction to being told about regularly washing your hands at the start of this. Grown ****ing adults going on like this is some new, high brow concept instead of something they should have been doing all their lives.

Now look at a stadium full of people, all wanting to get a drink or food or go to the toilet at the same time (before the match and at half time). Then theres getting them all in and out.

You're suddenly willing to risk your health and the hygiene of the areas you're touching to the lads that couldnt wait a little bit ling in a toilet queue so piss in and on the sinks instead. (not that that wasnt already an issue btw)

Games being played with crowds social distanced (at least 2 seats or so space between etc with face masks would be very safe) Speculation it may be changed to one metre is do able.

Stewarding can help with compliance. I'm sure the LOI fans would adhere to it considering the alternative is that their club may not survive. I don't really see how people breaking rules in everyday life is relevant. Their is alot to gain with fans who would be compliant. I think its do able. If the cases remain low their will be a different atmosphere regarding mass gatherings. This general attitude towards this will change quickly.

Games being played with crowds social distanced (at least 2 seats or so space between etc with face masks would be very safe) Speculation it may be changed to one metre is do able.

Stewarding can help with compliance. I'm sure the LOI fans would adhere to it considering the alternative is that their club may not survive. I don't really see how people breaking rules in everyday life is relevant. Their is alot to gain with fans who would be compliant. I think its do able. If the cases remain low their will be a different atmosphere regarding mass gatherings. This general attitude towards this will change quickly.

You've a lot more faith in people en-masse than I do in that case! Especially lads who will have almost certainly been having cans beforehand.

Even if you maintain your two seat distance between each and every person (and do you really see this happening when your team scores a last minute winner? I don't), it's still a big difficulty to get them all into and out of the stadium while maintaining distancing. And again, for what? The benefits versus the difficulties and risks are just so low...

You've a lot more faith in people en-masse than I do in that case! Especially lads who will have almost certainly been having cans beforehand.

Even if you maintain your two seat distance between each and every person (and do you really see this happening when your team scores a last minute winner? I don't), it's still a big difficulty to get them all into and out of the stadium while maintaining distancing. And again, for what? The benefits versus the difficulties and risks are just so low...

Fair enough. Will agree to disagree. I do think teams would now be allowed back to train in some capacity and amateur teams also. If the community transmission drops further for a sustained period we may see some hope for Football in this country sooner rather than next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I know they still have to sort and finish this season, but I am surprised there hasn't been any talk on next season - how the calendar will be adjusted to allow for all the different competitions.

We can speculate about reduced league cup, or removal of replays in FA Cup (nearly there anyway), or even single leg CL or EL - but i find it odd we've heard nothing about this stuff being done. Last I heard Uefa were looking at more international games next year to keep the Nations League alive!

World Cup qualification is to start next September, so I am going to say this nations league will have to be missed out as they still have the play-offs for the Euros and the Euros themselves to get through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Well, the risk is what might happen 10 minutes after UEFA announce such a mad idea - Man City, Leicester, Real, Atleti, Dortmund, Lazio, Inter etc possibly organising their own competition this year, and getting better TV deals and sponsorship than your 'European Cup'. Because ultimately those mega sponsors will only pay peanuts for the champions of Malta against the champions of Luxembourg in a last 16 tie. Just the way it is.

Anyway, true 'old school' would be 16 teams picked by the sports writers at L'Equipe with nothing in the t&c to say they must be the champions.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955–56_European_Cup

It's mad stuff altogether. Seems like a complete air of delusion that somehow sports will return to normality in August.

But you know I reckon there are probably plenty of contingencies being drawn up in places, but not leaked to the press at this stage. They may also be waiting to see how resumptions go to understand the limits of what is possible for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's mad stuff altogether. Seems like a complete air of delusion that somehow sports will return to normality in August.

But you know I reckon there are probably plenty of contingencies being drawn up in places, but not leaked to the press at this stage. They may also be waiting to see how resumptions go to understand the limits of what is possible for the future.

Like two games in two days in two continents?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Like two games in two days in two continents?!

All jokes aside, I'm thinking competitions will be dropped; the season will be extended to an 18 month window; there will be an expectation of behind closed doors football for a long time; the dissolution of lower professional football; further suspensions of top level football.

All of this is being considered and modelled somewhere. I would be shocked if it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Austrian league leaders Linz’s training ground was broken into and cameras placed in there recording them training while not sticking to the guidelines and training protocols. They are now saying this is espionage by another team/s to try and derail there season.

All jokes aside, I'm thinking competitions will be dropped; the season will be extended to an 18 month window; there will be an expectation of behind closed doors football for a long time; the dissolution of lower professional football; further suspensions of top level football.

All of this is being considered and modelled somewhere. I would be shocked if it isn't.

Their is little chance this is happening . Clubs will not be modelling a completely unpredictable situation.

• Advertisement

Austrian league leaders Linz’s training ground was broken into and cameras placed in there recording them training while not sticking to the guidelines and training protocols. They are now saying this is espionage by another team/s to try and derail there season.

Bielsa operating cross borders now?

Zoom porn on a big screen in a stadium. Awesome. :)

Perspective needed in this thread . Their is currently a professional league playing atm. Belarussian Football league. Swiss, Czech, Polish and Swedish leagues all set to return in May/June.

Germany likely to return in May/June. Only 3 to 4 leagues have voided until September.

Football leagues will be played before a vaccine. Risks/ benefits will have to weighed up. Sports will adapt to live with the virus in time. Its been only 6 weeks or so since everything came to a sudden half. We are in the middle of a peak it will be easier in time.

I expect the Premier League to finish behind closed doors in June all reports suggest it will. English Government are indicating this will be the case.

This has come to fruition. Czech Rep,Armenia back this weekend. Poland and Denmark next weekend. The situation looked alot worse 6 weeks ago in the middle of a pandemic peak. Spain now set for early June. Premier league now back training and preparing for early June. In 8 weeks I think the situation will look alot better in Ireland. No football before a vaccine was never feasible and clubs/leagues are now adapting. The research on Outdoor transmission will be in this and I expect much more will be understood. This will benefit sport at all level greatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Duncan Castles did a good piece on Troy Deeney and others having issues about returning to play on his latest podcast.
    One issue was that the panel that Deeney questioned simply had no answers to some of those questions,not the fact that they didn't want to give answers,it was the fact that they didn't have any.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement