Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Duncan Castles did a good piece on Troy Deeney and others having issues about returning to play on his latest podcast.
    One issue was that the panel that Deeney questioned simply had no answers to some of those questions,not the fact that they didn't want to give answers,it was the fact that they didn't have any.

This is a question - is it not also the case that the type of questions Deeney is raising are very specific to his own concerns and they would not represent the majority who are more silent on the matter? We see this all the time where the most extreme views (in terms of the scale of opinion) are heard the most.

It seems to me a high % of players are keen to get back towards playing football. Like in any job some people are going to be left more isolated, worried by decisions made on behalf of what is suitable for the majority. It is a tough situation and impossible to have a solution for 100% of people to be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DM_7 wrote: »
    This is a question - is it not also the case that the type of questions Deeney is raising are very specific to his own concerns and they would not represent the majority who are more silent on the matter? We see this all the time where the most extreme views (in terms of the scale of opinion) are heard the most.

It seems to me a high % of players are keen to get back towards playing football. Like in any job some people are going to be left more isolated, worried by decisions made on behalf of what is suitable for the majority. It is a tough situation and impossible to have a solution for 100% of people to be happy.

It seems that a lot of what was asked was simple common sense, not unlike anyone might ask going back to work where there's close contact.
    Contract issues were also raised by Castles with a hypothetical scenario of a player who might be looking for a big move and signing a short term contract at their current club to play the remaining games and getting a serious injury thus ending the hopes of a move and possibly a final big money deal at another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Another consideration in Spain will be the heat. I live in the south and its 37 degrees in the sun at seven in the evening. It is the hottest part of the country but Seville isn't much different and Madrid gets quite hot too, especially in June/July/August.

It regularly passes 40 degrees here during the day. Its a bit cooler on yhe coast and up North but it'll still be in the 30s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

UEFA’s deadline for FAs to submit plans is next Monday.

Was that to say whether they plan to proceed or not or for restart dates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Collie D wrote: »
    UEFA’s deadline for FAs to submit plans is next Monday.

Was that to say whether they plan to proceed or not or for restart dates?

Supposed to include restart dates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Two more Watford players have to self isolate after members of their family tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Corholio wrote: »
    Two more Watford players have to self isolate after members of their family tested positive.

It's interesting that Watford who are just out of the bottom 3 seem to be putting up the most resistance/ having most difficulties with the league restarting, it's almost as if they want the league to finish now with the current standings deciding relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Girly Gal wrote: »
    It's interesting that Watford who are just out of the bottom 3 seem to be putting up the most resistance/ having most difficulties with the league restarting, it's almost as if they want the league to finish now with the current standings deciding relegation.

I don't quite understand what you mean?

I don't think the players testing positive or others isolating due to being in contact with known cases can be counted as Watford being difficult, its part of what is going on around the whole world and standard responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don't quite understand what you mean?

I don't think the players testing positive or others isolating due to being in contact with known cases can be counted as Watford being difficult, its part of what is going on around the whole world and standard responses.

That doesn't suit conspiracy theories Dave :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You don't really believe that now do you?

• Advertisement

You don't really believe that now do you?

Watford have been more vocal than almost the rest of the clubs put together since the league stopped, the chairman, manager and captain have all either stated or implied a reluctance for the league to restart. I think the failed test is just a coincidence and can happen and probably will happen at more clubs. If the league doesn't re start they will get to retain premier league status. It may be more beneficial to take financial hit for this season, knowing they definitely have premier league status next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Watford have been more vocal than almost the rest of the clubs put together since the league stopped, the chairman, manager and captain have all either stated or implied a reluctance for the league to restart. I think the failed test is just a coincidence and can happen and probably will happen at more clubs. If the league doesn't re start they will get to retain premier league status. It may be more beneficial to take financial hit for this season, knowing they definitely have premier league status next year.

This is more suited to the conspiracy forum than the soccer forum. If Watford are falsifying test results it would very quickly become public knowledge. Its a global pandemic, some people including those directly involved just don't feel the risk of returning to football is worth it. I very much doubt their league position is something coming into their consideration

NITRO95 wrote: »
    This is more suited to the conspiracy forum than the soccer forum. If Watford are falsifying test results it would very quickly become public knowledge. Its a global pandemic, some people including those directly involved just don't feel the risk of returning to football is worth it. I very much doubt their league position is something coming into their consideration

I didn't say they falsified the results, in fact I'd be surprised if most clubs don't have some failed tests. It's more the comments coming out of the club from various people, chairman, manager and captain, other clubs haven't been as vocal. It's not beyond reason to suggest the season not restarting might benefit some clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's not that Watford players tested positive, it's that 2 players were in close contact with people who had tested positive. Not so much that they are falsifying test results, more so that they could be exaggerating who players were in contact with.

It could just be a big coincidence that it is Watford are the club involved again, and are one of the clubs with the most to gain if the season is stopped But yeah, that could be one for the conspiracy theory forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

NITRO95 wrote: »
    I very much doubt their league position is something coming into their consideration

You don't think protecting their place in the pl and the millions upon millions that would provide over relegation comes into consideration in their response to covid and finishing the league?

If they were a point off CL qualification you think their view world be exactly the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Troy Deeney has a 6 months old baby who is suffering from breathing difficulties.
    To suggest that he is only speaking out against restarting the PL so that his club won't get relegated is just beyond comprehension. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the BAME watford captain has a young child with lung or breathing difficulties

it's absolutely disgusting to be saying that he's "being vocal" for reasons other than the health of his kid

abysmal take really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why is only Deeney taking this heat? Why not Kante?

the BAME watford captain has a young child with lung or breathing difficulties

it's absolutely disgusting to be saying that he's "being vocal" for reasons other than the health of his kid

abysmal take really

Fair point, if he doesn't want to go back that's fine and I do understand his health concerns, players are not being forced back they are being given a choice and can opt out. Kante at Chelsea is not going back, but, he and Chelsea haven't made a huge issue of it in the same way Deeney and Watford have.

• Advertisement

Are the Watford outbreaks linked to the same cluster, or is it multiple different outbreaks?

Are they properly following protocol?

Follow the rules properly and the chance to get infected should be pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Portsmouth also had players with Corona and they are in a playoff spot.

Its not surprising to see players from Greater London and other areas at higher risk then other areas.

Again as another poster said why is Kante not getting the slack others are getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

La liga returns on June 8th.

Not long now until the return of the best league in the world, the premier league is announced.

Was just thinking it will probably have record tv viewers when it returns. The most watched league triumph and relegations in football history.

ricero wrote: »

Not long now until the return of the best league in the world, the premier league is announced.

Was just thinking it will probably have record tv viewers when it returns. The most watched league triumph and relegations in football history.

Viewing numbers will be massive for sure

Portsmouth also had players with Corona and they are in a playoff spot.

Its not surprising to see players from Greater London and other areas at higher risk then other areas.

Again as another poster said why is Kante not getting the slack others are getting?

I'm gonna guess it's because Kante made no fuss about it. A quiet and simple 'I don't feel comfortable about playing boss' behind the scenes statement. Deeney was quite public & vocal about it. He also brought money into it, which was a bit strange as surely if the issue is about health, then that should be it.

Now for the record, I've no problem with Deeney or Kante or any other players not wanting to play because of health fears.

I guess also because Watford were one of the teams who were seeming to be opposed to all types of options put forward to project restart with the neutral ground issue and even restarting the league originally. The cynic in all of us will see their league position and see them (Watford as a club) trying to push in favour of the league being cancelled to save their Premier League place. Watford were the club that made up half of the 6 positive cases, a very vocal captain against restarting the league and now they have said that 2 players could have been in contact with positive cases is just adding more fuel to the fire.

As i said, I've no problems with individual players objecting to playing on health grounds but Watford just seem a bit off to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Half and half scarves, champions t shirts, tin foil hats, all available.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »

Portugal's Premeira Liga is due back on the 3rd June too. Hopefully the PL will announce a firm enough date next week when the contact training protocols are clarified. Club chairmen due to meet on Tuesday I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

FitzShane wrote: »
    I'm gonna guess it's because Kante made no fuss about it. A quiet and simple 'I don't feel comfortable about playing boss' behind the scenes statement. Deeney was quite public & vocal about it. He also brought money into it, which was a bit strange as surely if the issue is about health, then that should be it.

To be fair though, the money aspect only really came into it as a qualifier for the health thing - as in health is more important than money, and if he has to take a financial hit to be sure of his families health, then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

A series of presentations on the UK figures on their daily update now. All graphs going in the right direction (hospital admissions, ICU, new cases, deaths etc). All at a time of a significant increase in testing. Hopefully they too are now gaining some control on this and those trends continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

people believing any numbers presented by tories need their heads examined

not to be trusted

not to be trusted

They've started lifted restrictions way earlier than virtually every country too. It's going to come back and bite them on the arse. Football might suffer as a result, though obviously that's much less important than the wider suffering of the population that could occur.

• Advertisement

not to be trusted

It was a presentation by the Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Jenny Harries.

eigrod wrote: »
    It was a presentation by the Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Jenny Harries.

Dr. Jenny "yeah Cheltenham is grand we don't want to disrupt people's lives" Harries.

Her credibility is fukced.

Dr. Jenny "yeah Cheltenham is grand we don't want to disrupt people's lives" Harries.

Her credibility is fukced.

What do you think the figures are so, and from what source?

What do you think the figures are so, and from what source?

The Times, hardly an unfriendly to the government newspaper says the figures are grossly inaccurate and far more people have died than the government portray.

For weeks they discounted hundreds of death from their official figures

For weeks they compared the UK rates with other countries, until the UK rates became less favourable than virtually everywhere else and mysteriously those graphs never appeared again.

For days they were saying they'd tested 100,000 a day when in fact they'd only achieved this once.

They counted a test as being done by when it was posted out to someone, not when it was returned.

They counted 2 rubber gloves as two pieces of PPE in the millions they stated they'd procured, maybe the nurses only needed one hand corona free.

Time, and time again their figures have been shown to be, charitably put, "misleading".

You are welcome to take everything they say as gospel, that is absolutely your prerogative.

Sorry eigrod that post was very ranty, not aimed at you, more the way the government has gamed the facts and figures, and I don't think Harries is probably a bad doctor or anything, I think she's been railroaded by some very strong personalities in and around government. I mean, is this kind of thing that you'd expect from someone in public health, or a TV talk show doctor?

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1237848177425805321?s=20

Don’t know why you are apologising - your reply was fine. I am still confident that their figures are going in the right direction as per the Deputy CMOs presentation earlier and as per my post. How the Tories are dealing with this is a completely different matter and i am not making any point in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

They've started lifted restrictions way earlier than virtually every country too. It's going to come back and bite them on the arse. Football might suffer as a result, though obviously that's much less important than the wider suffering of the population that could occur.

After the disaster that was the first 2-3 weeks herd immunity and Johnson going around hospitals shaking everyones hands, then doing a complete U-turn and expecting the population to fall in line, what they needed to do was a complete lock down like Italy and Spain. They could have a second wave thats even worse. Football not restarting is the least of their problems.

Don’t know why you are apologising - your reply was fine. I am still confident that their figures are going in the right direction as per the Deputy CMOs presentation earlier and as per my post. How the Tories are dealing with this is a completely different matter and i am not making any point in that regard.

Good post.

The numbers are going in the right direction. That's been clear for a good few weeks now. It's still an interesting absolute mess,that's for sure.

Wait until they have Brexit fully in place too. Unfortunately they voted to put these chancers in charge.

More positive news. If the clubs can keep this up, a June return is looking good.

https://twitter.com/daveockop/status/1264298574457733128?s=21

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Simon Stone reporting two new cases out of 966 tests of PL player and staff, spread over two clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

More positive news. If the clubs can keep this up, a June return is looking good.

Return looking increasingly likely in June. Could be a good month for Football fans. La Liga, Championship, Premier league and Serie A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I do love, how the same facts can divide opinion so much. On Twitter I’m seeing lots of ‘2 more cases, it’s time to shut it down’.

Would agree that it’s basically a certainty at this point that it’s coming back in June now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The low number is good in isolation.

It could also be bad news.

If the two positives are in new clubs when it was already in three clubs while they were not training then one in 5 or one in 4 clubs have people impacted by Covid 19.

Even if it is not in new clubs then it may be spreading further despite protective steps.

DM_7 wrote: »
    The low number is good in isolation.

It could also be bad news.

If the two positives are in new clubs when it was already in three clubs while they were not training then one in 5 or one in 4 clubs have people impacted by Covid 19.

Even if it is not in new clubs then it may be spreading further despite protective steps.

2 new clubs according to Ornstein.

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1264321018845433856?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

FitzShane wrote: »

have the PL said if there is there any cut off, or just regarded as a normal injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wonder if Johnson announces an end to lockdown to bury the Cummings stuff could it end up in a spike in deaths and effecting everyone's plans (which could result in even deeper burying).

Killing people to hide your **** ups is tight.

Wonder if Johnson announces an end to lockdown to bury the Cummings stuff could it end up in a spike in deaths and effecting everyone's plans (which could result in even deeper burying).

Killing people to hide your **** ups is tight.

Much easier to just sacrifice Cummings, which is what will probably happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

CSF wrote: »
    I do love, how the same facts can divide opinion so much. On Twitter I’m seeing lots of ‘2 more cases, it’s time to shut it down’.

Would agree that it’s basically a certainty at this point that it’s coming back in June now.

Watford and Hull will be gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

2 more PL positive tests.

the % is prob a fair representation of society given how gen pop only get tested if showing symptoms.

seems to be rock n roll from here come what may. gonna try to enjoy but its hard to, seeing as the UK numbers are still ****ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement