Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

great news for real football fans.

bad day for football trolls

Yes yes yes. Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

ERG89 wrote: »
    There wont be football played this summer, practically every sports event worldwide has been cancelled with the exception of lowly respected sports ran by morons in Trump's pocket. Olympics, Euros, Copa America, Wimbledon all got postponed by 12 months, not for 2 months.

The idea then of players agreeing to huddle up in camps like guinea pigs away from family for a few months as they will have to train for weeks to gain match fitness and then play out these games is a laugh, they are not idiots. Then after the leagues are done getting teams from Spain, Italy, France, England, etc. to meet up and play in a neutral venue is just daft. Just imagine it? Try it.

I don't know when football will return, I think it only can if there is a significant drop in cases for an extended period of time or a vaccine has been mass distributed.
    If UEFA or any league runs a game but one single player, official or coach tests positive I assume everyone involved with that game will have to isolate for 14 days and they delay those teams fixtures and training.
    How in the name of God would you handle that if you are trying to run a competition over a short period of time??

I don't know what clubs are going to do with paying players wages, it will help if players become free agents as who the f**k wants to sign anyone on a free now. Clubs will probably all have to agree to accept a reduced cut of this current seasons fees as if they don't I reckon a lot more clubs will disappear. What happens with the current league tables will be up to each league as they won't be sorted out on the pitch anytime for the forseeable future.

If it wasn't blatantly f**king obvious we'll be eating another recession after this blows over so whether or not the 19/20 CL or leagues get finished isn't exactly high on lists of concerns there are right now.

This aged well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Police are looking to have big games moved to neutral venues to avoid crowds gathering outside stadiums.
    Just an opinion but I wonder if it would mean Liverpool might just play one home game after the restart if this comes to pass? The temptation for fans to hit the streets to celebrate might be too much. In fairness,they couldn't be blamed under the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,339 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MD1990 wrote: »

This is exactly the type of comment that has caused so many problems.

wadacrack wrote: »
    This aged well

zero need for gloating sh---posts.

for the love of god there was two weeks of boring feedback crap back and forth on this crap.

Yet here we remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Liverpool 1 Null and Void FC 0

Mane 96 min

for the love of god there was two weeks of boring feedback crap back and forth on this crap.

Yet here we remain.

its not a big deal. Banter in a thread without insulting anyone is fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Some of the stuff on here is hilarious. The same people would be writing long paragraphs in the feedback thread about how it can be improved and how all the big, bad, nasty people should stop posting stupid.

Also 'real football fans' is a phrase that has an infinite amount of cringe.

Will be good to see football back though. Pity about some of the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Difficult to know if people are more pleased that an article has a return date for football listed, or that they've got one over on another tribe.

All about point scoring, in both options.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Football hasn't started yet, btw. I hope it goes ahead safely and finishes, but the virus is still about with restrictions relaxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Any word on when a full fixture list will be issued?

Can finally sort out my LMS - the most important priority. That prize fund sitting in my account is getting tempting.

Need a reality check. Football will be played before a vaccine and yes it will be a risk but healthcare and shop assistants are taking that risk every day.

South Korea returning nxt weekend, Belarus ongoing atm.

Switzerland confirmed for June 8th
    Poland confirmed for May 29th
    Czech Rep confirmed for May 25th
    Faroe Islands confirmed May 8th
    Austria confirmed for June

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/may/02/premier-league-critics-should-recognise-football-cannot-wait-for-ever?fbclid=IwAR1Hfeo2CN1FNh3TJnsUocrlv-ukRd9u6ZnKq8VeFs-STnGNR_hFtciekEM

Top leagues like the Premier League Bundesliga and La Liga is likely to have much safer regulations than the leagues listed. Eventually most leagues are going to have to take the risk and try to get back. Their is no point in waiting for a magic bullet to fix this situation. Hopefully it goes well but if not it is truly disastrous for the game at the elite level

Also aged quite well. I was told at the time " I plucked these dates out of my arse" I didnt reply and took it as banter. Glad to be proven right in this case. Hopefully now all goes well with the virus and maybe crowds could be back at some stage nxt season. Prepare for the worst hope for the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Difficult to know if people are more pleased that an article has a return date for football listed, or that they've got one over on another tribe.

All about point scoring, in both options.

Wait, whose tribe didn't want football back?

Are we not all fairly collectively delighted? :confused:

Hopefully all goes well in the next few weeks.

For Liverpool to not be able to finish off the league after the greatest points total after 29 games would be very unfair.

Man Utd with Pogba & Rashford back I think will make the top 4. Chelsea will be without Kante.
    I suspect Brighton will go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Would love to see West Ham go down and Deeney and Watford.

Also love Norwich to make a great escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great news but steady as she goes. Still best part of a month away so hopefully the virus in the community will continue on its current trajectory and everything will proceed as planned. Never thought I’d crave for hearing Martin Tyler’s voice again

Hopefully all goes well in the next few weeks.

For Liverpool to not be able to finish off the league after the greatest points total after 29 games would be very unfair.

Man Utd with Pogba & Rashford back I think will make the top 4. Chelsea will be without Kante.
    I suspect Brighton will go down.

Be interesting to see how form continues in general after such a long gap. We've seen before how over the course of a summer a high-flying team from season's end can look completely different as the next one starts up. I'd say we might well have some fairly madcap jumbles down in the bottom 6, and from 3rd to 8th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Football hasn't started yet, btw. I hope it goes ahead safely and finishes, but the virus is still about with restrictions relaxing.

Yes it has, 2 weeks ago in Germany, next week in Portugal, week after in Spain, week after England.
    Its already started

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how form continues in general after such a long gap. We've seen before how over the course of a summer a high-flying team from season's end can look completely different as the next one starts up. I'd say we might well have some fairly madcap jumbles down in the bottom 6, and from 3rd to 8th.

I'm veryinterested to see how players perform and teams differ.

With fitness having dropped I would expect a drop in pressing tactics or effeciency.

I think game pace could be slower, and suit more creative players, and players who spend a bit more time on the ball.

From a United perspective I could see Pogba, Bruno, Mata doing better in this version of football than the 'normal' season. At a lower intensity, I think players like them (and KDB for example) will have more time on the ball. A guy like Ozil could be a 9 game super-star.

I could be very wrong on that, obviously, but I do think there is very much a chance that the players who excel over the next 9 games could be ones that get lost a bit normally. (not saying KDB gets lost)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As I said before on this thread, we can only definitely say it's started when it's actually finished.

The Bundesliga seems to be going well, and others will be starting soon.

Hopefully they get finished and not postponed again due to a resurgence of the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Where is gstack with his insistence that this season was finished and that anyone discussing otherwise was just ignoring reality?
    This is exactly the type of comment that has caused so many problems.

Yet here we remain.

Spot on Mitch well said.

Great advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

With fitness having dropped I would expect a drop in pressing tactics or effeciency.

I think game pace could be slower, and suit more creative players, and players who spend a bit more time on the ball.

From a United perspective I could see Pogba, Bruno, Mata doing better in this version of football than the 'normal' season. At a lower intensity, I think players like them (and KDB for example) will have more time on the ball. A guy like Ozil could be a 9 game super-star.

I could be very wrong on that, obviously, but I do think there is very much a chance that the players who excel over the next 9 games could be ones that get lost a bit normally. (not saying KDB gets lost)

I think the opposite. You would hope that players have maintained a level of fitness, it will probably be quite clear who has quite quickly though with 3 weeks to get upto fitness (hopefully without disruption) you will see the players who've maintained peak condition excel in their ability to get around the pitch. Players coming off injuries like Rashford and Kane who maybe rely on pace and power to varying degrees could go either way I guess.

Ultimately it's really exciting for me. Delighted we have this sort of stuff to think about rather than just the viruses affect on the game.

Germany the ball has been in play more often & no drop in intensity (Sprints per game,distance covered).

I think the 5 subs in the last 20 mins of games will be a bigger factor for the bigger squads.

I expect Liverpool,Man City & Man Utd with players back to win nearly all of their games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Cant wait for it to he back now hopefully teams carry on the kinda form they showed before the break.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Spot on Mitch well said.

Great advise.

Yeah... I reported my own post looking back on it, to be fair. Didn't want to just delete it.

Germany the ball has been in play more often & no drop in intensity (Sprints per game,distance covered).

I think the 5 subs in the last 20 mins of games will be a bigger factor for the bigger squads.

I expect Liverpool,Man City & Man Utd with players back to win nearly all of their games.

So UNited won't have to chose between Lingard and Pereira as the 3rd sub? We can bring on BOTH? Oh my days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Police are looking to have big games moved to neutral venues to avoid crowds gathering outside stadiums.
    Just an opinion but I wonder if it would mean Liverpool might just play one home game after the restart if this comes to pass? The temptation for fans to hit the streets to celebrate might be too much. In fairness,they couldn't be blamed under the circumstances.

I can slightly see your point of the police doing this in order to be extra cautious, even though it would negatively portray the fans and call into question stereotyping etc if the police were to enforce it for Liverpool games only.

In this scenario though, it would be conceivable that there would not be ANY Liverpool games in Liverpool. The next game is the Merseyside derby at Goodison, so that would be the game most likely anyway to be moved to a neutral city. The next game would be Palace at Anfield when there could be the possibility of sealing the league title. Any subsequent Anfield game would then be at risk (in police eyes, at least), of crowds gathering to celebrate. Can’t see them going down this public route, tbh, of singling out Liverpool fans for special treatment.

I’d imagine if the police are genuinely concerned by this, they’ll just ask the FA to schedule ALL remaining PL games at neutral venues as a way of hiding the true intention of such an order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If fans are silly enough to gather at a location to celebrate, then presumably they'll do so regardless of where their team is actually playing that day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You'd think no matter what there will be problems maintaining public order with regards restrictions when Liverpool do secure the title or there's a big result to that effect. People will hit the streets. The best way of containing is hoping that it's just their streets that they stay on you'd hope and maintain distance from their neighbours.

I guess not having teams arriving or leaving the stadium in the city is probably the only way to achieve that.

• Advertisement

So UNited won't have to chose between Lingard and Pereira as the 3rd sub? We can bring on BOTH? Oh my days!

Yeah, I'm not sure how many games the extra 2 subs will turn in reality - will be great for youth players getting minutes though I think!

Could see Harvey Elliott being Liverpool's 4th or 5th sub in a lot of the remaining games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Great to have it back.

It will be interesting to see what sort of approach that the clubs will take towards team training and intensity now. Will they have a 2-3 week short intense pre-season of sorts to get both short and long fitness back quickly and then play straight through the remaining 9 weeks and then maintain that level on to next season when there will be a short break between. Or will clubs decide to split the pre season into 2 sections and try get their short term match fitness up now to last the 7 weeks and then work on long term fitness over the course of the season and the new pre-season.

Some players now are coming off of their longest break in years now. The longer rest will have done some players and clubs a lot of good!

its not a big deal. Banter in a thread without insulting anyone is fine

There is a humour thread, the general premier league thread doesn't need it, leave the banter crap for where its supposed to be and leave the dedicated threads for football discussion, this Thead was unreadable this season due to banter and points scoring, had hoped after all the discussion itmight be cut out but lads can't act like grown ups it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure how many games the extra 2 subs will turn in reality - will be great for youth players getting minutes though I think!

Could see Harvey Elliott being Liverpool's 4th or 5th sub in a lot of the remaining games.

Was there a decision made on whether it will be 3 sub slots, where 5 subs can be made in batches of 1,2&3, or are they 5 individual sub slots? I haven't been counting in the German games!

Oops wrong thread point stands though

What's the lockdown rules for groups in England in July/August anyway, or have they planned that far ahead?

I'm sure the cops over there will be able to handle things anyway. Hardly a major deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: This is exactly the kind of trolling shit (ironically given the comment) that we don't want here. Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully we find out soon the TV schedule for the games.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Was there a decision made on whether it will be 3 sub slots, where 5 subs can be made in batches of 1,2&3, or are they 5 individual sub slots? I haven't been counting in the German games!

Yeah, pretty sure for the PL they settled on the 3 sub slots thing, not including changes made at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

There is little or no social distancing going on in ireland now anyway. Kids all back playing with each other , teenagers hanging out in gangs. A percentage of the adult population back mixing that percentage will increase over the weekend. Their has been a change in mindset with regard to the virus the last few weeks that was always going to happen. You cant lockdown for ever and industry must resume in as safe a way as possible while keeping vulnerable people safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There is a humour thread, the general premier league thread doesn't need it, leave the banter crap for where its supposed to be and leave the dedicated threads for football discussion, this Thead was unreadable this season due to banter and points scoring, had hoped after all the discussion itmight be cut out but lads can't act like grown ups it seems.

The humour thread is for humour. Not banter. Banter is fine, don't get me wrong, as long as it's funny.

But when it's but when its just boringly unfunny, please? ****, no. And don't get me wrong - I know humour is subective - but some of ths **** that's wound up i that thread? Yawnfest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mod: This is exactly the kind of trolling shit (ironically given the comment) that we don't want here. Banned.

Any chance you can actually ban the people who thanked the post as well as per the feedback thread?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Yes it has, 2 weeks ago in Germany, next week in Portugal, week after in Spain, week after England.
    Its already started

I should have said English footbalk, sorry. I'm only cautiously joyous at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

What do people reckon will happen with the Champions League and the Europa? Null and void? Be tough on PSG and Lyon not having any competitive football to play while the rest of the leagues are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What do people reckon will happen with the Champions League and the Europa? Null and void? Be tough on PSG and Lyon not having any competitive football to play while the rest of the leagues are back.

Are they not trying to play those games in August with the finals pencilled in for the end of that month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I should have said English footbalk, sorry. I'm only cautiously joyous at the moment.

Definitely right to be cautious with Johnson/Cummings running the UK response. Not great numbers this week, even with BH accounting for Tuesday's jump. Yesterday and today's figures are worse than those days figures last week.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Definitely right to be cautious with Johnson/Cummings running the UK response. Not great numbers this week, even with BH accounting for Tuesday's jump. Yesterday and today's figures are worse than those days figures last week.

Exactly. UK is still handling this abysmally and now loosening restrictions for the general public on top of still very high death rates.

We might have start date pencilled in but there's a long way to go to actually get to it and for it to go off without a hitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Are they not trying to play those games in August with the finals pencilled in for the end of that month?

Hadn't heard that, nice one, more ball to look forward to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Hopefully they can but if not they should put all quarter finalists into next years group stages at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement