Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Thought this was quite a good read, although it's from Chelsea's website, until the final paragraph it's really just a blog about playing behind closed doors in general, as a fan. Think he makes some good points.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/05/28/giles-smith--introducing-project-restart-for-fans

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

wadacrack wrote: »

Sky Sports
    BT Sports
    BBC
    Amazon

Excellent!!

8-10 wrote: »
    Sky Sports
    BT Sports
    BBC
    Amazon

Excellent!!

Brilliant ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Serie A back June 20th

8-10 wrote: »
    Serie A back June 20th

Wonder will Juventus accept the trophy if they win :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

6 wrote: »
    Wonder will Juventus accept the trophy if they win :)

Why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

right now the euros are due to start on 11/06/2021. thats the deadline uefa are working to, bout 13 months.

can you do the remainder of this season and next by then (+ 2 mini preseasons, internationals, international friendlies + warmup camp)?

i dont think so. they can push the euros back by about 6 weeks i reckon (taking into account Qatar - bet they wished they didn't take those bribes now!)

i dont think there's enough time to fit all that in. based upon that, i think this season could be the one to go. like, somethings gotta give.

if the entirety of 20/21 is written off, then thats a different story. Something I have been staunchly against from the get go. but frankly will never happen due to $$$.

ETA: didnt even mention CL/Eurpoa league, which is yet more congestion.

re the fixtures that was my post maybe ~2 weeks ago.

i need to revise the above opinion based on the proposed league start, but the euros will need to get pushed back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Why wouldn't they?

something something grace deserving victory not deserved.

like you cant argue that liverpool aren't desperate to win the league? juve, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Superb news for those who love watching football.

It was obvious from a couple of weeks in to those who saw what was happening, and heard the threat voiding the season would have on clubs throughout England, that this season would be back running.

It's nothing to do with the integrity of the competition, and the idea that 'every season has to have a proper conclusion'.

It's all to do with fulfilling TV contracts and making sure clubs further down the pyramid don't go to the wall. It's all about the money.

But Liverpool will get their title, and I'm delighted. The achievement isn't tainted, but the celebrations certainly will be muted somewhat. But that's ok. It really doesn't matter.

This season had to be finished, then we'll see what's next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

SlickRic wrote: »

It was obvious from a couple of weeks in to those who saw what was happening, and heard the threat voiding the season would have on clubs throughout England, that this season would be back running.

It's nothing to do with the integrity of the competition, and the idea that 'every season has to have a proper conclusion'.

It's all to do with fulfilling TV contracts and making sure clubs further down the pyramid don't go to the wall. It's all about the money.

But Liverpool will get their title, and I'm delighted. The achievement isn't tainted, but the celebrations certainly will be muted somewhat. But that's ok. It really doesn't matter.

Well said, hopefully the Championship will get a date now soon. League Of Ireland in this country not getting the support it deserves at present . Im hopeful than if the virus is still suppressed at its current Infection rate that the league with fans might be on the cards sooner than we think. If for lets say 8 weeks that the virus is still suprprised. The option maybe to let crowds in some aspect/regulations or that clubs may have to fold. The alternative could be far worse long term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Yes hopefully League of ireland can return with restricted crowds. You also have the ridiculous situation that kids cant train together till august yet you have kids all over the country back playing with each other in much closer quarters than they would be in a structured training session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,213 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yes hopefully League of ireland can return with restricted crowds. You also have the ridiculous situation that kids cant train together till august yet you have kids all over the country back playing with each other in much closer quarters than they would be in a structured training session.

Technically, you can have groups of 4 training together outside but it wouldn't be much use really with kids. Adults, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

"If the #PremierLeague season runs according to schedule, the #FACup Final has been pencilled in to take place at Wembley on August 1 - the quarter and semi-finals will be played during the #PL season.

@MailSport"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FitzShane wrote: »
    Technically, you can have groups of 4 training together outside but it wouldn't be much use really with kids. Adults, maybe.

Ye im currently doing that with my kids team . Groups of 4 but it has to be done on a green in one of the kids estates not at the clubs grounds and cant be associated with the club . Your doing that on a green keeping them all socially distanced .While beside you on the green there are kids wrestling, climbing trees , playing chasing doing the things that kids do. Anyway I think the wheel is starting to turn now and the government will come under pressure to start making decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SlickRic wrote: »

Yeah, it was always going to be finished in fairness. Great to get a firm date. Good to see as well that others are finally accepting the inevitable and are breezy about things, that they as football fans are delighted that football is coming back. Very very delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Are they not trying to play those games in August with the finals pencilled in for the end of that month?

I think the idea was to have a one-leg mini tournament in one location. Quarters, then a few days later semis, then a few days late final. Kind of like a World Cup/Euro scneario.

How they plan to handle the unfinished round-of-16 matches, I've no idea.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mariapa and 2 other members of the coaching staff have all tested negative and are back training.

quick recovery for them.

Insinuating they’re faking it really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

PhilipsR wrote: »

Meaning they were asymptomatic and at the end of it I assume. You cant fake an independent test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

PhilipsR wrote: »

Or the recovered, or they never developed syntoms, or maybe even the test was not correctly adminstered.

Why do you think they faked it? What would they ahve to gain?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Deeney is back. Think he's been given reassurances over the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Russia are doing it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hmm, looks like they're loosening restrictions quicker than their scientific advice indicates they should. Obviously for political reasons. If cases and deaths start to spike in two weeks time again we might have a spanner in the works from a football perspective (and a much more important national crisis in the U.K.). So I feel slightly bearish on things today, unfortunately.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hmm, looks like they're loosening restrictions quicker than their scientific advice indicates they should. Obviously for political reasons. If cases and deaths start to spike in two weeks time again we might have a spanner in the works from a football perspective (and a much more important national crisis in the U.K.). So I feel slightly bearish on things today, unfortunately.

Their is no evidence of that they shouldn't losing restrictions atm

https://twitter.com/BBCFergusWalsh/status/1266376699299549192?s=20

Thats an opinion not evidence. The countries that have lifted restrictions are not experiencing exponential growth. Their different opinions on what will happen with this virus.

Thats an opinion not evidence. The countries that have lifted restrictions are not experiencing exponential growth. Their different opinions on what will happen with this virus.

This was because they had nearly 80 new cases they couldn't trace. UK has 8,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/28/south-korea-faces-return-to-coronavirus-restrictions-after-spike-in-new-cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,244 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah no other country aside from America and possibly Sweden let Covid get so rampant in the first place. Their figures just wont compare with countries that reacted somewhat quickly to manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There was no expectation that they would experience exponential growth, since lots of restrictions are still in place, like masks and social distancing. But there still will be (and has been) growth in areas. This week California has had it's biggest one-day increase throughout this whole ordeal, after starting to reopen. South Korea had a big outbreak and immediately had to take a big step back. It's a tightrope. You need to reopen and reduce restrictions enough that the economy can start back up, but not so much that you allow the R(0) to creep back above 1.

We've discussed this recently, and on the subject of social distancing in stadiums, I'm still hoping to hear back from ya on how they 1) tackle getting fans into and out of the stadium at the bottle-neck of turnstiles without it taking hours, and 2) how you keep your socially distant supporters nice and calm and civilized in their seats when your team scores a 90th minute winner.

Also, you commented on outdoor transmission being rare and difficult, but California's spike has been almost entirely from outdoor interactions (indoor activities are all still shut down). I've no doubt outdoor transmission is lower than indoor transmission, but to simply remove it as a consideration seems like a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Other than a stubborn maintenance of cases and deaths; lack of a well ingrained contact tracing program; and the opinion of the scientific committee they have to give advice on their next steps.

I want the Premier League to resume, but I can't ignore the buffoonish nature of their politicians and their willingness to ignore scientific advice for political reasons. Hopefully I'm completely wrong here, for a variety of reasons!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There was no expectation that they would experience exponential growth, since lots of restrictions are still in place, like masks and social distancing. But there still will be (and has been) growth in areas. This week California has had it's biggest one-day increase throughout this whole ordeal, after starting to reopen. South Korea had a big outbreak and immediately had to take a big step back. It's a tightrope. You need to reopen and reduce restrictions enough that the economy can start back up, but not so much that you allow the R(0) to creep back above 1.

We've discussed this recently, and on the subject of social distancing in stadiums, I'm still hoping to hear back from ya on how they 1) tackle getting fans into and out of the stadium at the bottle-neck of turnstiles without it taking hours, and 2) how you keep your socially distant supporters nice and calm and civilized in their seats when your team scores a 90th minute winner.

Also, you commented on outdoor transmission being rare and difficult, but California's spike has been almost entirely from outdoor interactions (indoor activities are all still shut down). I've no doubt outdoor transmission is lower than indoor transmission, but to simply remove it as a consideration seems like a mistake.

I haven't looked at California's numbers. I cant really comment on that.South Korea have had two minor outbreaks but have tested traced and isolated the cases. Their has been no significant spike just 79 daily cases. Outdoor transmission is 19 times less likely to happen. Their is no data which has indicated any significant clusters due to outside transmission in any studies. It is possible yes, but the risk is low especially with distancing.

For league of Ireland, yes what is say is difficult but certainty possible. You just stay 2 metres back upon entry.

3 countries have today announced they will allow fans into stadiums.

Russia, Hungary and Poland.

https://twitter.com/FansEurope/status/1266332850154024960

Only 37 cases in Ireland atm. Its probably safer now that it was in early March.

Theirs alternate views on what will happen with this virus. Its better to keep an open mind . Look at the studies etc. Michael Levitt (nobel prize winner) believes that data is extremely flawed and other's believe a 2nd wave inevitable. The first case being confirmed in France in December was really down played and ignored by many. Time will tell what is the correct method and view on this. Its literally impossible to tell for sure. However the evidence is their to at least attempt mass gatherings with social distancing first of all outdoors and then analyse what happens. I think this will go ok in Ireland and I am pretty confident that their will be LOI with crowds this season.

I haven't looked at California's numbers. I cant really comment on that.South Korea have had two minor outbreaks but have tested traced and isolated the cases. Their has been no significant spike just 79 daily cases. Outdoor transmission is 19 times less likely to happen. Their is no data which has indicated any significant clusters due to outside transmission in any studies. It is possible yes, but the risk is low especially with distancing.

For league of Ireland, yes what is say is difficult but certainty possible. You just stay 2 metres back upon entry.

3 countries have today announced they will allow fans into stadiums.

Russia, Hungary and Poland.

https://twitter.com/FansEurope/status/1266332850154024960

Only 37 cases in Ireland atm. Its probably safer now that it was in early March.

Theirs alternate views on what will happen with this virus. Its better to keep an open mind . Look at the studies etc. Michael Levitt (nobel prize winner) believes that data is extremely flawed and other's believe a 2nd wave inevitable. The first case being confirmed in France in December was really down played and ignored by many. Time will tell what is the correct method and view on this. Its literally impossible to tell for sure. However the evidence is their to at least attempt mass gatherings with social distancing first of all outdoors and then analyse what happens. I think this will go ok in Ireland and I am pretty confident that their will be LOI with crowds this season.

Why though? The benefits are so so so so so small, and the risks are so big. Just opening up the economy in steps is a big enough risk, without taking an additional massive risk for something as ostensibly frivolous as having crowds at sports at this stage. If we had anything like the capacity of tracing that S. Korea has, or the behavioral response their people have, I might be at least somewhat understanding, but we just don't. Honestly, even if everything else went according to plan, I just have zero faith in Irish lads staying 2 meters apart from each other in a stadium on a nice sunny evening after a feed of cans when their team scores a winner.

I'll honestly be astonished if we see crowds at football or GAA matches in Ireland this season.

Also, not sure where you're getting your figure of there being only 37 cases in Ireland... the current figure for active cases in Ireland is 1,142, as per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Why though? The benefits are so so so so so small, and the risks are so big. Just opening up the economy in steps is a big enough risk, without taking an additional massive risk for something as ostensibly frivolous as having crowds at sports at this stage. If we had anything like the capacity of tracing that S. Korea has, or the behavioral response their people have, I might be at least somewhat understanding, but we just don't. Honestly, even if everything else went according to plan, I just have zero faith in Irish lads staying 2 meters apart from each other in a stadium on a nice sunny evening after a feed of cans when their team scores a winner.

I'll honestly be astonished if we see crowds at football or GAA matches in Ireland this season.

Also, not sure where you're getting your figure of there being only 37 cases in Ireland... the current figure for active cases in Ireland is 1,142, as per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Sorry yea 27 cases today and about 1,000 active cases. Well we now will have 3 leagues where it is happening and can see if the risk is that high for infection. At the moment we dont know . How this spreads is beginning to be understood in a few weeks their should be more data etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

South korea did not have a big outbreak it was a little over a 100 people in a population of 50 million.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Football is coming back, there is nothing stopping it now. Restrictions are being loosened because the country is ****ed if they dont.

niallo27 wrote: »
    South korea did not have a big outbreak it was a little over a 100 people in a population of 50 million.

No, in the context of the entire population the number is obviously small, however in the context of where their figures were before it, and in the context of our conversation about the risks of opening superfluous activities before it's safe, it was big -- yesterday was the biggest single day spike in 8 weeks, and has led to over 251 schools closing, and a further 117 pushing back plans to reopen, along with a whole host of spaces like public parks and museusm being closed up again.

It was also a lot more than 100 - the initial event that kickstarted the resurgence in cases has had 266 cases traced to it, along with daily jumps from other separate hotbeds - 79 new cases yesterday, 58 new cases just earlier today.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52845015

My point is that this is what's happening when one of the countries that is best equipped to deal with Covid-19 opens up a little too quickly - so we, with our significantly inferior processes and cultural behavior, have reason to be cautious lest we put ourselves in a position that ends up dragging this all out even longer.

As a doubting Thomas about the idea of pumping in crowd sounds, it actually works quite well in the NRL (rugby league), and it does improve the viewing experience. Sometimes whoever is pressing the button has a roar for nothing which is a bit odd, but I'm definitely more convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

will they pipe in all the offensive chants, like 'the referee's a wanker'? Won't be the game without the pageantry of horrible chanting

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    will they pipe in all the offensive chants, like 'the referee's a wanker'? Won't be the game without the pageantry of horrible chanting

This is very true.

• Advertisement

No, in the context of the entire population the number is obviously small, however in the context of where their figures were before it, and in the context of our conversation about the risks of opening superfluous activities before it's safe, it was big -- yesterday was the biggest single day spike in 8 weeks, and has led to over 251 schools closing, and a further 117 pushing back plans to reopen, along with a whole host of spaces like public parks and museusm being closed up again.

It was also a lot more than 100 - the initial event that kickstarted the resurgence in cases has had 266 cases traced to it, along with daily jumps from other separate hotbeds - 79 new cases yesterday, 58 new cases just earlier today.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52845015

My point is that this is what's happening when one of the countries that is best equipped to deal with Covid-19 opens up a little too quickly - so we, with our significantly inferior processes and cultural behavior, have reason to be cautious lest we put ourselves in a position that ends up dragging this all out even longer.

Plenty of countries in europe have eased restrictions, Austria Denmark Germany have seen no major resurgence. It will drag out longer in Ireland due to our inept leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

As a doubting Thomas about the idea of pumping in crowd sounds, it actually works quite well in the NRL (rugby league), and it does improve the viewing experience. Sometimes whoever is pressing the button has a roar for nothing which is a bit odd, but I'm definitely more convinced.

I really hope they don’t pump the crowd noise in for the broadcast of the remainder of the season. I’d rather keep the experience “real”, no crowds, no noise. If Sky want the crowd noise added, I hope they give the viewer the option via the red button to enable/disable it.

I really hope they don’t pump the crowd noise in for the broadcast of the remainder of the season. I’d rather keep the experience “real”, no crowds, no noise. If Sky want the crowd noise added, I hope they give the viewer the option via the red button to enable/disable it.

That would seem the sensible compromise, hopefully the broadcasters agree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Watched a German game on one of the German channels with the piped crowd noise, it was really good and I thought it made it a far better experience than without it. I think it was a Dortmund game and the noise was from previous Dortmund games not just 'noise' from random fans. With neutral venues that might be a bit trickier.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Plenty of countries in europe have eased restrictions, Austria Denmark Germany have seen no major resurgence. It will drag out longer in Ireland due to our inept leaders.

I’m not at all saying not to ease restrictions, I’m saying to exercise caution on the restrictions you choose to ease. There are a lot of levels between total lockdown, and total freedom. Denmark have dealt with this virus particularly well for instance, but they’re also not allowing fans back into stadiums. Nor are Germany or Austria. I’m saying we exercise exactly the same caution that all 3 of your examples have.

I’m not at all saying not to ease restrictions, I’m saying to exercise caution on the restrictions you choose to ease. There are a lot of levels between total lockdown, and total freedom. Denmark have dealt with this virus particularly well for instance, but they’re also not allowing fans back into stadiums. Nor are Germany or Austria. I’m saying we exercise exactly the same caution that all 3 of your examples have.

Yes no arguments here, I think we are way too cautious here at home but that's for a different discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

That’s great news. Another step on the right road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Championship appears to have gone backwards...10 cases from 1058 tests, across 8 clubs.

League 2 though...135 tests from 4 clubs, with 7 positive across 3 clubs.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-covid-19-test-results3/

gstack166 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t worry about it mate, this years competitions in Europe & England aren’t getting completed & you can take that to the bank, no matter what other arguments against the contrary the usual suspects will put forth here.

Well I can tell you one thing.

Your opinion means very very little.

I remember you banging on about Manchester City doing no wrong and how they’d be cleared in a court of law. They were found to be guilty. Dirty lying scoundrels.

You were wrong then and you’re wrong now. Again. It’s a bad habit gstack.

Do you know what you can take to the bank ? The fact that your opinion means nothing. Go on. Head off to the bank with that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement