Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Real classy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It's going to be interesting to see that given football will start will more cases occur even with stadiums having no crowd. I.e people going to friends houses for the games etc.

Can't link the tweet right now but a report from yesterday for deaths across Europe was as follows- ( I didn't deep dive into the data or anything so just basis my thoughts on the figures below)

UK: 324
    Italy 87
    Sweden 84
    France 52

The rest were 30 or less. Don't think comparing UK to other countries is a comparison ATM. They seem to be in a league of their albeit the government's fault.

Hoepfully the league can be played out without a "second wave" causing a break, but I'm very curious to see if their is a big increase in deaths will be the sport stop

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mushy wrote: »
    Championship appears to have gone backwards...10 cases from 1058 tests, across 8 clubs.

League 2 though...135 tests from 4 clubs, with 7 positive across 3 clubs.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-covid-19-test-results3/

1 case each confirmed so far by Cardiff, Preston and Fulham. Fulham also had two last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Originally I was against the return of the Premier League because of the health and safety concerns (however I didn't want the season null and voided because so much of it was completed). Looking at the testing results though, there are positive signs that this could be manageable if it keeps trending this way. Just a pity that some players are probably going to be too uncomfortable to play but that has to be accepted and they can't be forced onto a pitch against their will. Just wonder what Watford will do without Deeney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Originally I was against the return of the Premier League because of the health and safety concerns (however I didn't want the season null and voided because so much of it was completed). Looking at the testing results though, there are positive signs that this could be manageable if it keeps trending this way. Just a pity that some players are probably going to be too uncomfortable to play but that has to be accepted and they can't be forced onto a pitch against their will. Just wonder what Watford will do without Deeney.

Deeney is back training on monday. Id say most will return even kante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Hoepfully the league can be played out without a "second wave" causing a break, but I'm very curious to see if their is a big increase in deaths will be the sport stop

If there's a significant second wave you would expect them to do something but fcuk knows what they could or couldn't do. They're really pinning a lot on sport being good for morale etc, so it'd be one of the last things they would cancel. But as I say you wouldn't know with this shower in charge.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zaph wrote: »
    1 case each confirmed so far by Cardiff, Preston and Fulham. Fulham also had two last week.

Fulham with 3 so far...should deduct them points :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If there's a significant second wave you would expect them to do something but fcuk knows what they could or couldn't do. They're really pinning a lot on sport being good for morale etc, so it'd be one of the last things they would cancel. But as I say you wouldn't know with this shower in charge.
    I cant see Boris and the boys backtracking. Unless PFA vote to strike/boycott on player safety grounds or something.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I cant see Boris and the boys backtracking. Unless PFA vote to strike/boycott on player safety grounds or something.

Yeah I agree, they've pinned an awful lot on sport now. This is their one bright light, so they'll cling on to it regardless. Don't think the PFA would have it in them to strike, their leadership is fairly crap too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's going to be interesting to see that given football will start will more cases occur even with stadiums having no crowd. I.e people going to friends houses for the games etc.

They'd have to prove a direct link.
    Can't link the tweet right now but a report from yesterday for deaths across Europe was as follows- ( I didn't deep dive into the data or anything so just basis my thoughts on the figures below)

UK: 324
    Italy 87
    Sweden 84
    France 52

The rest were 30 or less. Don't think comparing UK to other countries is a comparison ATM. They seem to be in a league of their albeit the government's fault.

Yesterday's deaths:
    UK - 215
    Itay - 111
    Fracnce - 57
    Sweden - 45
    Germany - 6 - and they restarted two weeks ago.
    Spain - 4
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ (click on "yesterday" - just above the list of countries)

If a second wave occurs, if will occur regardless of whether football does or does not return. And restrictions and lockdowns will be brought in across the board, not just withregard to football.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

They'd have to prove a direct link.

Yesterday's deaths:
    UK - 215
    Itay - 111
    Fracnce - 57
    Sweden - 45
    Germany - 6 - and they restarted two weeks ago.
    Spain - 4
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ (click on "yesterday" - just above the list of countries)

If a second wave occurs, if will occur regardless of whether football does or does not return. And restrictions and lockdowns will be brought in across the board, not just withregard to football.

This 2nd wave is everywhere in the media and there is no certainty we will have it, any country in europe that has relaxed restrictions has not experienced any significant surge. If it does occur we wont see restrictions like before because we simply cannot afford it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

niallo27 wrote: »
    This 2nd wave is everywhere in the media and there is no certainty we will have it, any country in europe that has relaxed restrictions has not experienced any significant surge. If it does occur we wont see restrictions like before because we simply cannot afford it anymore.

I agree.

I'm curious to know what constitutes a "second wave". The only "second wave" mentioned I've been seeing is in South Korea and maybe Japan, and the new cases mumbers were extrmely low to start off with.

In any case, easing of restirctions is going to take 2-3 weeks before any changes show up - whcih is why countries are doing it gradually (and rightfully so).

if we see a second wave - and we very well might - I don't think it'll show for a while yet; and it's certainly not going to happen because people started playing football again!

if we see a second wave - and we very well might - I don't think it'll show for a while yet; and it's certainly not going to happen because people started playing football again!

Why would it not be a factor? Of course it would be a contributing factor along with everything else if it did happen.

The football world might have all the tests etc other people don't. But as I said as things ease up people will have people over for the sports etc. Now I'm sure they'd think of other reasons if the sport wasn't on. However, it would still make it a contributing factor.

Anyway that's all if's and but's. As I said originally. I'm curious to see if it does happen would football stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Why would it not be a factor? Of course it would be a contributing factor along with everything else if it did happen.

The football world might have all the tests etc other people don't. But as I said as things ease up people will have people over for the sports etc. Now I'm sure they'd think of other reasons if the sport wasn't on. However, it would still make it a contributing factor.

Anyway that's all if's and but's. As I said originally. I'm curious to see if it does happen would football stop.

It would be minuscule the effect football's return would have on any possible season wave, when you consider all the other restrictions being lifted, people going back to work, shops re opening etc. The drain on front line resources is probably a bigger consideration in football coming back.

• Advertisement

People are meeting up all the time - socially distant and not - indoors and out - and for a multitude of different reasons.

If it happens, everything will stop. Again. Not just football.

There is no logical evidence that the return of football will cause a second wave while other activities will not.

People are meeting up all the time - socially distant and not - indoors and out - and for a multitude of different reasons.

If it happens, everything will stop. Again. Not just football.

There is no logical evidence that the return of football will cause a second wave while other activities will not.

I never suggested that football would be the cause? I even mentioned there would be other factors. This is the football and corona virus thread so I centered it around football and football stopping.

How can their be logical evidence of something that hasn't happened yet? Of course not. It was just something I posted saying I'm curious to see. Why you're arguing it here is beyond me.

I never suggested that football would be the cause? I even mentioned there would be other factors. This is the football and corona virus thread so I centered it around football and football stopping.

How can their be logical evidence of something that hasn't happened yet? Of course not. It was just something I posted saying I'm curious to see. Why you're arguing it here is beyond me.

Not arguing with you, but you did hint at it being a factor below :)

Anyway, it's a moot point: any second wave will or will not happen independent of football; there will be a multitude of factors and it will be very difficult if not impossible to determine specifci direct causes.

Ultimately, it's just another restriction being lifted in a long line.

Factor and Cause I would think are two different things.

The cause would be the government allowing the ease of restrictions.

A factor then would be football. I think the biggest factor of all tbh is the good weather. It's alot easier to maintain staying indoors when the weather is sh1te. Governments secretly hating this right now :pac:

But I agree it's just pure speculation. I'm just curious to see if there was an increase in cases would football continue if the cases were low in football world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

If there is a 2nd wave (which I think there will be) then the return of football will most definitely be a factor leading towards it... but there will be a lot of factors leading to it.... back to work... shops opening... people gathering in groups, be that at the beach, park or a house to watch football... return of people on public transport. etc.
    To think that football returning won't be a factor is just crazy. How much of a factor will it be, we don't know yet as this is all new.

• Advertisement

Footballers won't be contributing much to the spread of Covid19. They are being tested twice a week and their close contacts will be easy to trace.

6 wrote: »
    Footballers won't be contributing much to the spread of Covid19. They are being tested twice a week and their close contacts will be easy to trace.

Very true.
    But do you think people won't congregate to watch matches, celebrate wins, etc. The issue with football being a factor to an increase of the overall spread of COVID19 is more about the people who watch it then the footballers who play it.

But hey, just my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was vocal on here after I had watched some German games and said I wasn't interested in the product with no crowd at it. It was sterile.

I then seen a clip of the Dortmund Munich game with added crowd sounds, chanting etc and it made a massive difference. Fake of course but it helped.

I am sure Sky will go that route too. They won't like the spectacle of 'the best league in the world' sounding like a training session.

Very true.
    But do you think people won't congregate to watch matches, celebrate wins, etc. The issue with football being a factor to an increase of the overall spread of COVID19 is more about the people who watch it then the footballers who play it.

It wont be a big factor. A 2nd wave is speculation atm. According to some scientists its very likely to happen, others see the virus petering out. Better to save that discussion for other threads tbh. Football returning can only be looked at positively atm, very few downsides

If there is a 2nd wave (which I think there will be) then the return of football will most definitely be a factor leading towards it... but there will be a lot of factors leading to it.... back to work... shops opening... people gathering in groups, be that at the beach, park or a house to watch football... return of people on public transport. etc.
    To think that football returning won't be a factor is just crazy. How much of a factor will it be, we don't know yet as this is all new.

People are having bbqs, going to the beach, drinking cans in the park for weeks and we have no spike here. Europe has opened up and we have seen no spike. Football is back in Germany and we have seen no spike, what makes you think there will be a 2nd wave

wadacrack wrote: »
    It wont be a big factor. A 2nd wave is speculation atm. According to some scientists its very likely to happen, others see the virus petering out. Better to save that discussion for other threads tbh. Football returning can only be looked at positively atm, very few downsides

Plus by the time we see any effects of it, if there is any the season will probably be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am sure Sky will go that route too. They won't like the spectacle of 'the best league in the world' sounding like a training session.

Will they have no cheers for when an away team scores?

If so I want to be there when they accidentally play cheers when a team has been relegated at home by a late winner.

niallo27 wrote: »
    People are having bbqs, going to the beach, drinking cans in the park for weeks and we have no spike here.
    Europe has opened up and we have seen no spike. Football is back in Germany and we have seen no spike, what makes you think there will be a 2nd wave

Again comparing different countries doesn't necessarily work. England as a whole are known to be 'Less Behaved' than other countries.

Some scientists think theirs a 2nd wave, others think not. Is trusting somebody with far more experience and knowledge wrong?

Your right people are doing those things which is why I and Dave mentioned weather etc being
    a factor. But at the end of the day the government can do very littlr to control that. They can however control football.

Thankfully no major rises recently with the weather.

Agree no downsides currently however people can still have a fear of a cause of a 2nd wave within reason. No need to overall panic but also smart to be cautious

Agree no downsides currently however people can still have a fear of a cause of a 2nd wave within reason. No need to overall panic but also smart to be cautious

Agree but I dont see how thats relevant with Professional Football, where players are being tested every week and playing behind closed doors. The evidence in Germany suggests its fine. Institutional like setting Schools,factory's churches etc is a whole different discussion that has many threads

• Advertisement

Agree but I dont see how thats relevant with Professional Football, where players are being tested every week and playing behind closed doors. The evidence in Germany suggests its fine. Institutional like setting Schools,factory's churches etc is a whole different discussion that has many threads

My point I mentioned before effects football. Just because footballers are being tested etc they may be clear but that leads to people arranging for friends to come over etc. If there's no sport there's a less likely chance of this happening ( I'm sure some other excuse would be made)

My speculation and curiousity was more if there was an increase in cases/deaths but football remained zero would football stop as it could be a potential factor. Wasn't posted to cause an argument just s curiosity of mine if it did happen

My point I mentioned before effects football. Just because footballers are being tested etc they may be clear but that leads to people arranging for friends to come over etc. If there's no sport there's a less likely chance of this happening ( I'm sure some other excuse would be made)

My speculation and curiousity was more if there was an increase in cases/deaths but football remained zero would football stop as it could be a potential factor. Wasn't posted to cause an argument just s curiosity of mine if it did happen

I fully agree with what you say and many others say.
    The issue seems to be that you can't mention football returning being a contributing factor without people taking it up as you meaning it will be the main factor when no one has said or could say it will be the main factor... however its on the same belief that you can't say it won't be a contributing factor.

Very true.

Stadiums will be empty. Cops will probably make sure stadiums can't be congregated at.

People will congregate in houses to watch games probably. Fans will probably congregate in street after it. This stuff is happening now here and the UK in parks, beaches etc etc.

Not following advice a societal problem not a football one. It's already happening. It's just some people choose what to get up in arms about.

Stadiums will be empty. Cops will probably make sure stadiums can't be congregated at.

People will congregate in houses to watch games probably. Fans will probably congregate in street after it. This stuff is happening now here and the UK in parks, beaches etc etc.

Not following advice a societal problem not a football one. It's already happening. It's just some people choose what to get up in arms about.

Who is up in arms about it.. can a discussion not be a discussion without trying to make it into an argument...

Anyhow the effects of football returning as a factor to the spread of the virus can't be denied... how much of an effect it will have... we don't know yet, as previously discussed... but it will have an effect.

Who is up in arms about it.. can a discussion not be a discussion without trying to make it into an argument...

Anyhow the effects of football returning as a factor to the spread of the virus can't be denied... how much of an effect it will have... we don't know yet, as previously discussed... but it will have an effect.

Nobody arguing. I'm saying exactly what is happening. People are causing the virus to spread the right now with the their actions. The virus will continue to spread as restrictions are lifted. That's inevitable.

The UK government is to blame here with their mismanagement of the whole thing. Plus, they are lifting restrictions too early imo. Saying all that I don't think they seem too concerned about the virus spreading tbh...

I really dont think it would unless other countries have stopped their football, it would be a huge embarrassment to the uk plus it's going get finished as quick as they can so there might not even be time to shut it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Other sports are starting to from tomorrow in England so not just football would people be gathered for those, lots of people gathering for bbqs in the good weather as well.

• Advertisement

Other sports are starting to from tomorrow in England so not just football would people be gathered for those, lots of people gathering for bbqs in the good weather as well.

Yes, and as many said before. This is the football and CV thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Dead right.. I can just see 300 pensioners ouysode the crucible cheering on Ronnie O'sullivan

jayo26 wrote: »
    Dead right.. I can just see 300 pensioners ouysode the crucible cheering on Ronnie O'sullivan

COME ON RONNNNIIIIIIEEEE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jayo26 wrote: »

I think those might be the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Very true.
    But do you think people won't congregate to watch matches, celebrate wins, etc.

Where will they congregate? They wont see much from outside the stadium and teams wont be coming out to greet them.

Theres idiots in all walks of life. If they start to show up at grounds theyll be swiftly moved on by police.

• Advertisement

COME ON RONNNNIIIIIIEEEE!!!

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY! (© Mc Ateer)

Where will they congregate?.

People's houses?

Where will they congregate? They wont see much from outside the stadium and teams wont be coming out to greet them.

Theres idiots in all walks of life. If they start to show up at grounds theyll be swiftly moved on by police.

Maybe outside but most probably in houses/back gardens to watch the games.

People's houses?

Will going to someones house be allowed in June/July/August in England? Small social gatherings? Not familiar with their roadmap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,338 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will going to someones house be allowed in June/July/August in England? Small social gatherings? Not familiar with their roadmap

Well, according to their road map there are free and clear, cause they are saying vulnerable are free to leave their houses tomorrow, which was a level 1 easing, which was to come when the virus was effectively gone.

Happy days!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement