Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Take a look at the papers in the UK, in the US, anywhere. Being on the front page or being called out post hoc by politicians means very little. Doesn't mean they are looking at actual facts or arguments.

The facts are that the same government who said no football till September are now saying you can play football in June. I still think they could have waited, they were very quick to pull the trigger on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

niallo27 wrote: »
    The facts are that the same government who said no football till September are now saying you can play football in June. I still think they could have waited, they were very quick to pull the trigger on it.

So when the Government said: "19/20 season will not resume" and that no football would be played before September, the LFP should have said "Nah, don't agree, we're still aiming for June".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

6 wrote: »
    In hindsight the French made a decision, when they could have waited like the other major leagues did.

In the context of France, where fans did go to a stadium when PSG played a behind closed doors match, and their high rate of deaths the government moved to say no to all major sporting team events. This matter formed part of their plan to get out of a significant lockdown.

In their situation team sports were placed behind things like schools in their restart of normal life. Allowing schools and work has potential to increase infection rates, allowing sports like football, rugby, Tour de France over summer has potential to do the same and on that basis was deemed unessential. They felt groups training together, travelling to play matches were unimportant for their country at that time to be put ahead of more normal life matters. It was a sensible choice for their circumstances.

I think it is good Germany got their league back going as I always thought that football could potentially take place safely in the right circumstances. It showed other leagues what could potentially work. I don't think Governments should prioritise non essential activities just because another country was in a position to do so.

Have things in France improved so much that suggest they could have waited to make a choice about large and team sport?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Some huge crowds gathering for the black lives matter protests. Younger people seem to have made their mind up on the risks to them of getting the virus. Increases the chances of crowds of younger people gathering to celebrate football victories.

Thats going to happen anyway. Have you seen the crowds out all over the UK and Ireland over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Thats going to happen anyway. Have you seen the crowds out all over the UK and Ireland over the weekend

Oh I agree . I felt a few weeks ago it wouldnt happen as back then people were more scared by the virus. Thats not the case anymore fairly large chunk of society are no longer scared of it or believe some of the measures are pointless. I suspect by the time football starts back the % of people scared or following the rules will continue to decline. Personally think in Ireland all kids football should be able to resume immediately as nearly all kids are playing with each other anyway in a non controlled manner. Then LOI should be able to start back now with reduced capacity. Was a study done in holland, that over the last 2 years in all professional games played ,only in 0.2% of games did a close encounter of longer than 30 seconds take place between two players which places them at risk from breaching the WHO guidelines on social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I've noticed a couple of comments about Germany from various podcasts. The things that seem to stand out are the ball is in play lot more and they're putting that down to less diving and less arguing with the referee. Do players really dive more and argue when the stadium is full? Keep stadiums closed indefinitely if that's the case. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've noticed a couple of comments about Germany from various podcasts. The things that seem to stand out are the ball is in play lot more and they're putting that down to less diving and less arguing with the referee. Do players really dive more and argue when the stadium is full? Keep stadiums closed indefinitely if that's the case. 😉
    I'd imagine the crowd reactions would feed into the players reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Primeira Liga - Portugal has games on tv Tomorrow and Thursday

Wednesday 3rd
    Famalicao v FC Porto Primeira Liga 21:15 FreeSports / Premier Sports 1 HD / Premier Sports 1

Thursday 4th
    Benfica v Tondela Primeira Liga 19:15 FreeSports / Premier Sports 1 HD / Premier Sports 1
    Vitoria Guimaraes v Sporting CP Primeira Liga 21:15 FreeSports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd imagine the crowd reactions would feed into the players reactions.

It makes sense - like the stonewall penalty Dortmund should've gotten against Bayern. If the crowd is there and starts screaming, I bet Haaland and others then claim for it. But they weren't, and the corner got taken normally and the incident snuck by,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Portuguese Primeira Liga back tonight on Premier Sports

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Portuguese Primeira Liga back tonight on Premier Sports

The football calendar is filling up fast :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Portugal have been hovering around 200 daily cases for a while now and their deaths have been pretty steady at about 10-15 for the last while. Will be good to see another league close by opening up with access to the matches on FTA.

Population wise their figures at the moment would be similar to ourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Some talk that the Championship and EFL will have a good few cases, or at least a good few extra ones. That definitely needs to be kept an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Corholio wrote: »
    Some talk that the Championship and EFL will have a good few cases, or at least a good few extra ones. That definitely needs to be kept an eye on.

Where is that from? Or are these new ones to be announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Continues to be fantastic figures and probably well beyond what anyone could’ve expected 2 weeks ago. Thanks for posting Wada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Very successful figures. Thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Spurs have said that it was from their club.

They didn't mention whether it was a player or a member of staff but seeing as players that have a positive case in this round are not allowed to play in the first weekend of games, I would guess it was a member of staff. They may have mentioned if it was a player because of this reason.

FitzShane wrote: »

They didn't mention whether it was a player or a member of staff but seeing as players that have a positive case in this round are not allowed to play in the first weekend of games, I would guess it was a member of staff. They may have mentioned if it was a player because of this reason.

Serge Aurier possibly. Very low numbers.Majority of players are obviously adhering to social distancing. Hopefully the EFL do not have many positives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Where has that been said? Previous protocol was 7 days isolation which would have them back by the 10th (probably sooner depending on timing of test) which is 7 days before the league kicks off again.

What is the protocol beyond isolation and time frame for being allowed back in the match day squad?

• Advertisement

Where has that been said? Previous protocol was 7 days isolation which would have them back by the 10th (probably sooner depending on timing of test) which is 7 days before the league kicks off again.

What is the protocol beyond isolation and time frame for being allowed back in the match day squad?

Sky Sports said that any player who has a positive case has to be kept away from group training for 14 days here. But they can return to individual training after they post a negative case.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11999142/premier-league-players-may-miss-opener-if-they-test-positive-for-coronavirus-this-week

But I guess that only really applied for the 4 teams involved in the catch-up round of games at the start. Either way, a positive case from any team now would mean they would be miss 10-14 days of group training now so effectively ruling them out of the round of games because they won't be in group training, lack of match fitness etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Phil Foden the latest player to break the social distancing guidelines and he went to the beach for a kick about and played with random fans an took pictures with them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52905119

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Sky Sports said that any player who has a positive case has to be kept away from group training for 14 days here. But they can return to individual training after they post a negative case.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11999142/premier-league-players-may-miss-opener-if-they-test-positive-for-coronavirus-this-week

But I guess that only really applied for the 4 teams involved in the catch-up round of games at the start. Either way, a positive case from any team now would mean they would be miss 10-14 days of group training now so effectively ruling them out of the round of games because they won't be in group training, lack of match fitness etc.

There's a fear about their hearts too. This was in the Athletic today.
    But what happens if a player or member of staff does test positive for COVID-19?

For those who are asymptomatic, the minimum period before returning to
    group training is two weeks, including an initial seven-day period of self-isolation. They would technically be able to resume individual work away from their team-mates on day eight, subject to a negative test. Those who do display symptoms must be symptom-free for at least 14 days before they can return to team training. That means anyone who tests positive this week will miss, at the very least, the first round of games upon the planned resumption from June 17.

Yet there are arguments for players who test positive to wait even longer before returning to any kind of training.

There is evidence of a significantly increased risk of heart injury among people admitted to hospital suffering from the virus. “Medical officers are advising athletes who have tested positive not to do any exercise whatsoever for at least 10 days after the onset of coronavirus symptoms, even if they are very mild,” says Dr Ronca. “Most recommend two weeks with no exercise, even if they just had a cough or were asymptomatic. The worse the symptoms, the longer they should wait to do any exercise. After those two weeks for the milder cases, that’s when you undertake the medical examinations and see where they are.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mushy wrote: »
    Where is that from? Or are these new ones to be announced?

Alan Nixon, he usually has a good grasp on EFL goings on. Yes, it's ones to be announced.

Spurs confirm the positive test player is from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Phil Foden the latest player to break the social distancing guidelines and he went to the beach for a kick about and played with random fans an took pictures with them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52905119

Seems to be a bit of a lack of discipline at Man City during all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

A player? I presumed it was a member of staff because not naming them.

��Sky to defer PL rebate (over £170m) until 2021/22 season, easing cash flow for clubs & bigger transfer budgets this summer
    ��International TV want £107m back next month
    ��If season curtailed,full £762m rebate stands & 25% drop in EFL solidarity

https://twitter.com/AdamCrafton_/status/1268209909637750784?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Corholio wrote: »
    Alan Nixon, he usually has a good grasp on EFL goings on. Yes, it's ones to be announced.

Sounds like it's from clubs with previous cases from my reading.

Just see it now, 9 new cases announced from 1094 tests

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Freesports HD will have the Porto game on later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Have you a link to that? I couldn't find where they said it was a player.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Have you a link to that? I couldn't find where they said it was a player.

Not that hard to find with google it's the first thing that comes up when you type spurs player tests positive and press search.

Tottenham reveal unnamed player has tested positive for coronavirus

Spurs say player will self-isolate for seven days
    Only one positive test from 1,197 players and staff

Tottenham have revealed that one of their players has tested positive for Covid-19 and will self-isolate for seven days, although he is not experiencing any symptoms of the virus. The London club want to keep his identity confidential. It is understood he is not a key first-team player.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/03/tottenham-reveal-unnamed-player-has-tested-positive-for-coronavirus

5 sub rule approved. Mixed feelings on this. Last 10 minutes can become farcical.

https://twitter.com/liam_twomey/status/1268523636115341313?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

eigrod wrote: »
    5 sub rule approved. Mixed feelings on this. Last 10 minutes can become farcical.

It's just 3 slots though right?

8-10 wrote: »

Oh possibly. That would help.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/liam_twomey/status/1268523636115341313?s=21

I think its a good decision. Welfare and fitness of the players should be the number one priority. Yes it will benefit some teams but if less players are suffering injuries that's a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

8-10 wrote: »
    No, 5 subs allowed on the pitch.
    They have needed them in Germany and will do until fitness levels improve.

jacool wrote: »
    No, 5 subs allowed on the pitch.
    They have needed them in Germany and will do until fitness levels improve.

I think it means you can only stop play 3 times to make your 5 subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I really hope 5 subs doesnt become permanent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think that’s fair. Least it’s in 3 slots so won’t become a joke in some games.

Max 3 subs per slot too I think, so it's not possible to make 5 subs in one go.

In a way, it's not too much different to the current rule of 3 subs in 3 slots. Max 3 in a slot. We will still have 3 slots and max 3 in a slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think its grand as they are basically being trust back into play without a preseason as such. The 3 slots is a good move as it should take the same amount of time as if it was still 3 subs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really hope 5 subs doesnt become permanent.

I’ve a feeling if we start seeing more young English players in the last 10 mins of matches, it might be something we see stick around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

I thought Daniel Levy was supposed to be a financial genius and they were incredibly stable and well run club.

I assume if the bank of England are handing out cheap loans to a big business like Tottenham Hotspur they ill have no issues helping out small businesses or even private citizens who might need a cheap loan to get them through this tough time.

I'm gonna guess that the lack of CL football, added to lack of match day income, has had a massive impact on the ability to pay back the stadium costs. The stadium was also due to host a big boxing event too, along with the NFL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I thought Daniel Levy was supposed to be a financial genius and they were incredibly stable and well run club.

I assume if the bank of England are handing out cheap loans to a big business like Tottenham Hotspur they ill have no issues helping out small businesses or even private citizens who might need a cheap loan to get them through this tough time.

They are, the loans are backed by BoE and available to anyone with a company in the UK, banks are giving them out like sweets at the moment as each is backed by gov/BoE so no real risk. I can see a lot of companies going bump in the shrot to mid term and the economy suffering further.

Private citizens who are struggling can immediately get access to Universal credits if needed, no requirement to prove means but will be assessed in tax over the coming years.

Not filling that new billion pound stadium with fans for however long is going to hurt Spurs big time financially no major transfer windows for them for a long time to come I'd imagine.

I wonder how Jose a manager who likes to spend big in transfer windows will feel about that.

I'm gonna guess that the lack of CL football, added to lack of match day income, has had a massive impact on the ability to pay back the stadium costs. The stadium was also due to host a big boxing event too, along with the NFL games.

Lack of CL football? They've been in it for 4 consecutive seasons! All the rest impacting for sure.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement