Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If football fans congregate outside football stadiums they should be criticised, why should there be a defence of them? This whole 'us as footballs fans' as if we are some sort of exclusive community. People should criticise reckless people. Why is the media being held as some sort of defining barometer? Some of them will do what they always do. The irony is that a lot of crap thrown from within football fans to other clubs fans come from the media, so how can some play the poor mouth when some have been eating it up for years to sling at other fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Lets wait and see what happens. Complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet is rather odd. From what Iv seen it has not been a problem in most games throughout Europe. I expect the same in the UK. Congregating outside a stadium only to be told to move on not that appealing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Latest round of Championship testing - 1179 tests, 2 positives at 2 clubs. One tweet I saw said one of the positives is a backroom staff member at Barnsley, but don't know what the source is.

Good news on the Championship looking forward now to the leagues coming back. Good distraction from other events going at the moment and hopefully Football can bring much needed positivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From the morning papers.

It's been revealed that the ones doing the testing aren't tested themselves and players aren't happy.

Plus Liverpool's owners won't make it to the Merseyside derby due to quarantine rules in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Championship fixtures released

Brentford vs Fulham 12:30pm Saturday 20th June live on Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

BSK wrote: »
    Championship fixtures released

Brentford vs Fulham 12:30pm Saturday 20th June live on Sky

If you haven't seen them yet, Brentford are a great side to watch this season. Hope they get a playoff spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

League One and Two finally officially ended, after weeks of farting about. Play offs still to go ahead.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm still waiting on some bets from the National League to get settled. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

League One and Two finally officially ended, after weeks of farting about. Play offs still to go ahead.

Could be some time before we see games at that level again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

https://twitter.com/sbates_people/status/1270430970177519618?s=21

Probably going to be the odd postponement in the league games too in this sort of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Could be some time before we see games at that level again.

Yeah you could be right unfortunately. It'll be very tough for tinpot clubs like Northampton to social distance with pokey little grounds.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah you could be right unfortunately. It'll be very tough for tinpot clubs like Northampton to social distance with pokey little grounds.

I think they'll probably wind up merging the leagues and splitting them into regional divisions - like div 3 north, south and central and so on.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MLS returns July 8th and will be held in Orlando with a World Cup style tournament involving all the teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

6 cases in the Championship, a few in league 1 and none in league 2.

Portsmouth have 2, think it said was players too. Do they miss the playoffs now?

Mushy wrote: »
    6 cases in the Championship, a few in league 1 and none in league 2.

Portsmouth have 2, think it said was players too. Do they miss the playoffs now?

They will be tested again in a week. If negative they can return. Very low number of positive cases overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

wadacrack wrote: »
    They will be tested again in a week. If negative they can return. Very low number of positive cases overall.

Think got mixed up with league 2 playoffs which are starting g next week. Probably a bit more time for league 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

La Liga starts back tonight.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

La Liga starts back tonight.

and there seems to be games pretty every night till the league is complete. also have the coppa italia semis on fri/sat with the final being played next Wednesday.

From the morning back pages.

Liverpool may be allowed to celebrate (if it happens) a title win in the car park of Goodison Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

From the morning back pages.

Liverpool may be allowed to celebrate (if it happens) a title win in the car park of Goodison Park with a police cordon in place to hold back the hordes who will descend on Goodison regardless of regulations..

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

wadacrack wrote: »

There was a full house but this video is not from Wednesday night...June 8th it was posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

The obsession over teams celebrating is ridiculous at this stage. The staff and players are all tested negative and are playing football over 90 mins with other negative players.

I don't think it is going to do any damage if they lift a trophy together after.

They won't be doing anything in a car park in Goodison. Rubbish story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Have to agree, don't support Liverpool or any the top premier league teams but this obsession on whether or not they lift a trophy in this stadium or that stadium is bizarre!!! I couldn't case less if they lifted it in the their local ASDA car park!!!! Their 25 points clear and going to win the bloody thing, just accept it and move on....

Have to agree, don't support Liverpool or any the top premier league teams but this obsession on whether or not they lift a trophy in this stadium or that stadium is bizarre!!! I couldn't case less if they lifted it in the their local ASDA car park!!!! Their 25 points clear and going to win the bloody thing, just accept it and move on....

I just found the headline weird, surely a car park would be the last choice purely for security reasons, although I could understand Everton not wanting their rivals doing it in their stadium.

Sky Main Event will have crowd noise for all the games bar 2.
    They announced the details earlier.

• Advertisement

I just found the headline weird, surely a car park would be the last choice purely for security reasons, although I could understand Everton not wanting their rivals doing it in their stadium.

ah yes fair point. That is a bit weird alright, lets have them celebrate it in the one place where fans might actually try to show up!!! :confused:

Sky had the crowd noise for the Australian NRL matches I was looking at last weekend. It actually wasn't too bad and they even put in a booing noise for a dodgy call from the ref at the end 😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Sky had the crowd noise for the Australian NRL matches I was looking at last weekend. It actually wasn't too bad and they even put in a booing noise for a dodgy call from the ref at the end 😂😂😂

they would need the booing track on repeat for the whole game to re-create the Goodison atmosphere haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Already predicted that Sky would definitely go with canned crowd noise.

Football in an empty stadium with no spectators is a soulless experience from what I have seen so far. Not a chance sky would let that happen, as it would definitely have resulted in a decline in viewers and subscriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I read a bit of an article about it, I think the headline is misleading people into thinking the car park would be designated as a place to have a trophy presentation.

The actual story is that many clubs like Everton are looking at potential options to keep Home and Away teams as separate as possible for social distancing reasons.

In Everton's case, they're saying that a temporary dressing room structure could be build on the car park behind the Park End so that the teams are separate. It also mentions Crystal Palace is also looking at a separate portable structure and Aston Villa and Man United are looking at using corporate or media lounges.

Some journalist has looked at that story and spun it into 'that means they'll pop the champagne in a car park' and created a headline.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Already predicted that Sky would definitely go with canned crowd noise.

Football in an empty stadium with no spectators is a soulless experience from what I have seen so far. Not a chance sky would let that happen, as it would definitely have resulted in a decline in viewers and subscriptions.

It will be interesting alright as I cant see fans in stadiums in the premier league anyway this side of Christmas. So your looking at a lot of next season played under the same circumstances...sport in empty stadiums maybe something we just have to get used too, I am just looking forward to having something to look at on the weekends to be honest!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

they should have no crowd sound for those two games unless an equaliser is scored, then do 30 seconds of 'You only sing when you're winning'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hopefully some renegade in the sound department will play the "FCUK V.A.R, FCUK V.A.R., FCUK V.A.R." track when Stockley Park and the ref are in discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I’d rather they just left it without canned noise. No atmosphere is better than a fake one IMO. If they do it now they’ll probably keep it up when fans do return. I’d rather be in a quiet stadium than one with fake cheers and chants booming over the PA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Collie D wrote: »
    I’d rather they just left it without canned noise. No atmosphere is better than a fake one IMO. If they do it now they’ll probably keep it up when fans do return. I’d rather be in a quiet stadium than one with fake cheers and chants booming over the PA.

Sky (and I presume others too) already do alter the sound levels of fans in stadiums as it is, pre-COVID. They cut out chants by fans if they don't like them and also raise/lower the noise level of home/away fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It'd be nice for Everton fans to see a trophy lift in Goodison but unfortunately no fans allowed.

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »

Just press mute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Not sure why there's so much talk of lifting the title at Goodison. It's fairly unlikely that Arsenal will beat City at the Etihad to make it a possibility in the first place.

Even if Liverpool do happen to confirm the title at Goodison, I've never seen a trophy lift immediately after a "confirming" game unless it happens at the last home game or last game of the season. Does it happen, regardless of when in the season or where? The wise decision would be for them to wait a little and lift it at the Palace home game, surely?

Doesn't really matter where they get the trophy once they get it, and are declared champions. That's the main thing. Hope Henderson has been practicing trophy lifting at home :)

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Not sure why there's so much talk of lifting the title at Goodison. It's fairly unlikely that Arsenal will beat City at the Etihad to make it a possibility in the first place.

Even if Liverpool do happen to confirm the title at Goodison, I've never seen a trophy lift immediately after a "confirming" game unless it happens at the last home game or last game of the season. Does it happen, regardless of when in the season or where? The wise decision would be for them to wait a little and lift it at the Palace home game, surely?

Last home game usually in a regular season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I got used to no fan noise pretty quickly to be honest. Definitely prefer that to the fake crowd noise thing, which tends to just make me hyper aware of the fact that there’s a lad in a studio somewhere hitting “crowd cheer goal”, or “great move clap”, every time I notice an effect to match what’s happened.

But I was also thinking... these guys are gonna get really good at this over the next few months. So every game is gonna sound like it’s a belter from start to finish. And then real crowds will come back, and, well, often be quite shit.

So I just wonder if they’re setting themselves up for a bit of an anticlimactic return where we’re all suddenly and brutally reminded that real atmospheres are very hit and miss, especially compared to the digital consistency we’d have been experiencing before... as it stands, they already change levels and use whichever pitch side mics they like, but it’s still real noise. But have to wonder if there’s any going back from fake swells of excitement at a run down the wing, and rapturous false applause for a good long pass, if the broadcasters worry about keeping up the new expectation from the fans. Reminds me of Cypher in The Matrix, where he’d rather the exquisite fake to the unpleasant reality.

(or not, just a thought!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Crowd noise will be a red button function as far as i understand so Sky will not force people to listen to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I got used to no fan noise pretty quickly to be honest. Definitely prefer that to the fake crowd noise thing, which tends to just make me hyper aware of the fact that there’s a lad in a studio somewhere hitting “crowd cheer goal”, or “great move clap”, every time I notice an effect to match what’s happened.

thats my thinking. I'd prefer the reality of nothing to being aware some fake crap is being pumped in. I'd notice the fake stuff more.

No issues with no crowd noise. It's not required to watch a game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Is the fake crowd noise playing underneath/in unison to the actual audio (eg, players and management shouting) of the game? If that's the case, it's probably alright, but if they're removing the real audio then that would be sh!t. I wanna hear what's going on on the pitch and sidelines - a rare opportunity to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I thought I’d be against canned crowd noise but after the horrific spectacle that was Utds last Europa game & now experiencing the bundesliga games with crowd noises, I much prefer the artificial crowd. Even though I know it’s exactly that - artificial.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement