Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

wadacrack wrote: »
    Just press mute

Can’t press mute if in a stadium. My issue is when stadiums open again and the video game noises are being played over a PA because some TV director thinks the atmosphere is too flat for the viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Collie D wrote: »
    Can’t press mute if in a stadium. My issue is when stadiums open again and the video game noises are being played over a PA because some TV director thinks the atmosphere is too flat for the viewers.

That won’t be happening anyway. None of these sounds are being played in-stadium - it’s all effects added to the transmission feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

It's a red button option on TV only. No need to worry about it.

Were people this worked up when player cam was introduced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Your issue is something that doesn't exist so you're getting annoyed at something that may not even happen.

Life's to short man

It's a red button option on TV only. No need to worry about it.

Were people this worked up when player cam was introduced?

Don’t think anyone is worked up. Everyone has preferences.

Your issue is something that doesn't exist so you're getting annoyed at something that may not even happen.

Life's to short man

I’m not annoyed. But just because it doesn’t exist now doesn’t mean PA in stadium can’t happen. I’ve been at games where celebratory music was played when the away team scored.

I’m not annoyed. But just because it doesn’t exist now doesn’t mean PA in stadium can’t happen. I’ve been at games where celebratory music was played when the away team scored.

But if it did happen you would be annoyed? Or bothered whatever word you want to use.

But if it did happen you would be annoyed? Or bothered whatever word you want to use.

Wouldn’t you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All the fuss about getting the EPL started up again and it'll all be over in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

I really don't think there's any possibility of it ever happening - but I think i'd be annoyed if that happened at a game I was it... it's kind of a slight, right? Like, you're watching, cheering or chanting away, or even sitting quietly when nothing is happening, and suddenly you hear this blast of fake crowd noise coming through the PA system. It's like "we don't trust you real human beings to make a noise that is commercially interesting enough, so we're playing fake noise of other people on top of you."

NIMAN wrote: »
    All the fuss about getting the EPL started up again and it'll all be over in a couple of weeks.

The title will be won but CL and relegation should go down to wire.

I do wonder though after waiting so long for it at what point nonstop Premier League will get boring. Definitely a lot of meaningless matches to be played and with no overlapping games no option to switch over.

I can see myself binging the first weekend anyway but definitely being more selective after a couple of weeks.

Wouldn’t you?

No. But that's not what were discussing

No. But that's not what were discussing

Grand. I would although I’d already stated that so not sure whether you’re angling for an argument or not but you won’t get it. Have a good evening.

Grand. I would although I’d already stated that so not sure whether you’re angling for an argument or not but you won’t get it. Have a good evening.

Not angling for an argument at all. I just said it hasn't happened yet so I don't think there's any point in getting annoyed at it currently.

Absolutely your choice if it does happen but I was moreso suggesting that no point in getting worked up over something that hasn't been clarified yet.

Have a nice night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's the relegation battle and trying to get top 4 place that will be intriguing.

• Advertisement

Restart never had anything to with title race, that was over in January. Relegation and European spots will go to the wire and should be really interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Restart never had anything to with title race, that was over in January. Relegation and European spots will go to the wire and should be really interesting.

Title race was over last November according to a few

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Turkey back this weekend. Real Madrid and Barca back in action. Premier League back in 4 days. Good time for Football fans. Hopefully see crowds in some capacity in the nxt 10-12 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

wadacrack wrote: »
    Turkey back this weekend. Real Madrid and Barca back in action. Premier League back in 4 days. Good time for Football fans. Hopefully see crowds in some capacity in the next 10-12 weeks.

Very doubtful that will happen before spring 2021 at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Norwich confirm they are one of the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Got to love that nearly every reply to the tweets reporting it from all news sites is Null & Void the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Be interesting to keep an eye on the spurs testing results over the next rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Be interesting to keep an eye on the spurs testing results over the next rounds.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Got to love that nearly every reply to the tweets reporting it from all news sites is Null & Void the league.

It's so weird. The results are really positive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Will games be postponed if a club has positive cases now or as games get going?

Or is it just carry on?

DM_7 wrote: »
    Will games be postponed if a club has positive cases now or as games get going?

Or is it just carry on?

Carry on.

Why do you say that?

Spurs played Norwich in a friendly yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very doubtful that will happen before spring 2021 at the earliest.

Interesting to see a packed stadium in NZ for the return of the rugby.

Good spot.

In data terms it is good that numbers are low in total.

It is not good that a week before things get going that two clubs have the virus within squads when they are now in close contact.

It is important that the next batch of results do not see a more cases within those squads and especially amongst teams they have played against in the training games.

Otherwise some games may have to be postponed further.

• Advertisement

Key think there is New Zealand. They said a few days ago that they had 0 active cases.

Many countries are a long way from that.

Good spot.

It is not good that a week before things get going that two clubs have the virus within squads when they are now in close contact.

It is important that the next batch of results do not see a more cases within those squads and especially amongst teams they have played against in the training games.

They're going man, this is happening. The above isn't relevant, rightly or wrongly. Germany, Italy and Spain are up and running successfully as well as a whole host of other leagues. This has always been about politics. Brexit Britain can't be shown up by the EU, not now.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They're going man, this is happening. The above isn't relevant, rightly or wrongly. Germany, Italy and Spain are up and running successfully as well as a whole host of other leagues. This has always been about politics. Brexit Britain can't be shown up by the EU, not now.

If the cases ramp up within the squads the players may refuse to continue in unsafe working conditions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Confirmed now the infected player played in the game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Key think there is New Zealand. They said a few days ago that they had 0 active cases.

Closer to home Belgrade has a full crowd for an outdoor tennis tournament tonight.

Closer to home Belgrade has a full crowd for an outdoor tennis tournament tonight.

Theyd a full crowd for football the other night as well.

Also over 3 weeks since they've had a new case. Incredible.

They were able to close their borders pretty seamlessly which obviously helped massively.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Confirmed now the infected player played in the game too.

Players may rightly say testing isnt preventing them from playing against guys with covid.

I feel it was always going to happen at some point but it will still be interesting to see the reaction to it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I know they are going :)

My point is if Spurs have cases in the next batch of tests then if is feasible that would be linked to playing Norwich. On that basis then Spurs might have to stay home for a week and postpone a game or two.

That would not mean all clubs need to stop Spurs and whoever they were playing would just have a game in hand to be added to the schedule in a few weeks.

Back to my previous post, hopefully no cases within Norwich or the other club spike and hopefully teams they played have no cases either.

Not getting deep into the Brexit stuff, Premier League clubs need to get going for the money, if they have leverage in such a way they will make use of it alright.

• Advertisement

NZ has zero cases though. The virus is literally gone there. They locked down the country long before anyone else. The best handling of Covid worldwide.

Though of course they're far away from everyone too, which really helps, in comparison to Europe.

Their measures were incredible really - the only flights in were from returning NZ'ers, and the government paid for each of these people to be brought directly from the airport to designated quarantine hotels where they were quarantined and fed and everything for the full 2 weeks, so they had 100% control over every potential new source of the virus. Unreal stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Good spot.

My understanding is that if a player tests positive before a PL game he is simply removed from the squad. The social distancing measures that are supposed to be in effect among squad members is the reason why the PL can justify not postponing the game - basically, an infected player should not be able to infect his team-mates.

The incident with Michael O'Neill testing positive before the game with Utd, and the game being called off, is only because it was a friendly and they didn't want to take the chance.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    My understanding is that if a player tests positive before a PL game he is simply removed from the squad. The social distancing measures that are supposed to be in effect among squad members is the reason why the PL can justify not postponing the game.

The incident with Michael O'Neill testing positive before the game with Utd, and the game being called off, is only because it was a friendly and they didn't want to take the chance.

Thanks, yes the current plan deals with what should happen.

I am only looking at it from the view that this is new, that plan was developed before teams started mixing and if cases (it may well be unlikely) can be linked to teams playing each other then the current plan may be revisited.

In the end they have made great efforts to restart safely and are committed to completing the season. It would be odd to continue with a plan that may undermine that effort if evidence of what happens points them to needing new protocols.

Hopefully the two cases don't get linked to any new cases which will actually back up the idea of taking people out of the squad and going into isolation is a very good plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I wonder what would happen if a team has 4 or 5 positive cases before a game? A postponement, possibly. Or maybe that side should forfeit the 3 points because it could be argued that the squad haven't adhered to social distancing measures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I wonder what would happen if a team has 4 or 5 positive cases before a game? A postponement, possibly. Or maybe that side should forfeit the 3 points because it could be argued that the squad haven't adhered to social distancing measures.

Given the low numbers so far in teams tested it's highly unlikely that many would actually test positive just from one team. If it did happen they would have to play their games without said players. If it happened to another 4 or 5 then maybe forfeit points would be an option.
    Dont think it will come to that though, in either case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cant see backing down and postponing anything. The league must be done is the choice that was made. Use the U23's if you have to and just keep removing the seniors as needed.

• Advertisement

Positive tests will happen. Players will isolate. League will go on.

They have have protocols in place and the money is vital to clubs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The team will have to play the game and fill the squad with youth players afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Did I read something somewhere that it has to be 10 players testing negative for a match to be possibly postponed? Read it in passing so not sure.

I think injuries, or fitness in general could play a big part when games get going. Players only allowed 15 min with physios after games, managers only allowed to give 15 min team talks too.

Its just one case with Norwich. Relax the games are going ahead. Hopefully the player recovers quickly and it does not lead to further positive cases. Outdoor transmission is quite low I think it should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Spurs seem to think that the positive case who played against them the other day posed no risk to their players.

“Close contacts been defined by gvnmnt as being within 2m of confirmed case for 15mins or more. Norwich player in question confirmed he had no ‘close contacts’ with our team + our squad has also verified this”

“Our testing has continued to return only negative results for COVID since one positive reading was confirmed almost two weeks ago.”

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement