Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its just one case with Norwich. Relax the games are going ahead. Hopefully the player recovers quickly and it does not lead to further positive cases. Outdoor transmission is quite low I think it should be fine

I was reading a thing that a Dutch firm did a study on all Proffessional games in the Dutch league over the last 2 years. Only in 0.2% of all those games did 2 players come in close contact for more than 30 seconds which would put the players at considerable risk from breaching the W.H.O. guidelines on social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

FitzShane wrote: »
    Spurs seem to think that the positive case who played against them the other day posed no risk to their players.

“Close contacts been defined by gvnmnt as being within 2m of confirmed case for 15mins or more. Norwich player in question confirmed he had no ‘close contacts’ with our team + our squad has also verified this”

“Our testing has continued to return only negative results for COVID since one positive reading was confirmed almost two weeks ago.”

Reasonable assumption. I see no mention of no risk. All scientific evidence would indicate the risk is very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I was reading a thing that a Dutch firm did a study on all Proffessional games in the Dutch league over the last 2 years. Only in 0.2% of all those games did 2 players come in close contact for more than 30 seconds which would put the players at considerable risk from breaching the W.H.O. guidelines on social distancing.

How did they come to that conclusion? What about walls in free kicks? Corners? I assume they didn't accumulate the minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

How did they come to that conclusion? What about walls in free kicks? Corners? I assume they didn't accumulate the minutes?

Assume it was 30 consecutive seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

In England with the BLM's protests and rallies going on and the statue pulling down groups and the clashes with the Alt Right groups going on in London will the media and the general public really lose it's sh1t if a couple of hundred football fans turn up outside stadiums around the Country since pretty much the it looks like the general public aren't sticking to the guidelines anyway when it comes to shopping and going to beaches at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

GPS trackers that the players wear most likely.

In England with the BLM's protests and rallies going on and the statue pulling down groups and the clashes with the Alt Right groups going on in London will the media and the general public really lose it's sh1t if a couple of hundred football fans turn up outside stadiums around the Country since pretty much the it looks like the general public aren't sticking to the guidelines anyway when it comes to shopping and going to beaches at weekends.

Exactly. But despite this the tabloids are going to have a field day outside Goodison. I expect to see more TV crews and reporters waiting to be outraged there than fans.

Mass gatherings are banned. Mass protests are ok though...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Exactly. But despite this the tabloids are going to have a field day outside Goodison. I expect to see more TV crews and reporters waiting to be outraged there than fans.

If this does happen, it would be interesting if someone takes photos of the groups of photographers/reporters for sharing on social media. Shame some of the rags responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Stadiums like Goodison Park & Anfield are bang in the middle of residential areas. People could be walking outside their house, which they are entitled to do, and there will still be some of those red tops complaining about crowds outside stadiums. Some trickery with camera angles included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spain is re-opening it's borders to European passport holders for tourism from June 21st with no need for a 14 day quarantine.

I guess that is the start of seeing if wave two will arrive soon after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Spain is re-opening it's borders to European passport holders for tourism from June 21st with no need for a 14 day quarantine.

I guess that is the start of seeing if wave two will arrive soon after.

Given that the virus outbreak seems to be on the decline throughout Europe it`s unlikely there will be a spike in new cases as a result of that. However Spain is also due to open its borders to all international travel on 1st July so there could be a negative outcome once that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

eigrod wrote: »

The testing is only around 99% accurate so there will be false positives in such a large sample size

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The testing is only around 99% accurate so there will be false positives in such a large sample size

Yeah, could also be a false negative this time (a bit more likely as false negatives are more common than false positives). Could also be the case that the Norwich player is no longer infected with Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Amirani wrote: »
    Yeah, could also be a false negative this time (a bit more likely as false negatives are more common than false positives). Could also be the case that the Norwich player is no longer infected with Covid.

Yeah, generally speaking, false negative is much more likely than false positives - up to 30% of negatives are false. I'm sure he'll have another test before being fully cleared anyway. They seem to have built quite a bit of redundancy into the system to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

France, Belgium, Scotland and the Netherlands look more and more foolish with their decisions as each days passes.

Talk about jumping the gun baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ricero wrote: »
    France, Belgium, Scotland and the Netherlands look more and more foolish with their decisions as each days passes.

Talk about jumping the gun baby.

It's been said so often they have new tv deals starting up for next season that they have prioritised that as its financially better for them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mushy wrote: »
    It's been said so often they have new tv deals starting up for next season that they have prioritised that as its financially better for them too

Jasus thats a disgrace if true. I feel bad for the fans and players of the teams relegated and who had hopes for a league title or european place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ricero wrote: »
    Jasus thats a disgrace if true. I feel bad for the fans and players of the teams relegated and who had hopes for a league title or european place.

Yeh England's decision definitely was all bout integrity and nothing to do with money whatsoever.

Yeh England's decision definitely was all bout integrity and nothing to do with money whatsoever.

Money runs the game. Has for a very long time. Not sure why that suddenly upsets people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Money runs the game. Has for a very long time. Not sure why that suddenly upsets people.

Oh we know why..

Man Utd and Man City fans have some great football to look forward to and 2 trophies that they are favourites to win. I watch football to see my team win trophies not to hate watch other teams. It's a great opportunity for some teams to complete the season on a high.

• Advertisement

Feast of football for the next few weeks about to get underway. Like a Premier league World Cup

Feast of football for the next few weeks about to get underway. Like a Premier league World Cup

Anyone else think theyll be a bit sick of it fairly quickly? Take Saturday evening for example, after a long day and want to sit down and watch the match, then its Bournemouth vs Palace. Considering they play twice a year anyway theres not much novelty in it, which the world cup at least has going for it.

I'll probably still have it on, but the investment in it will be far lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Anyone else think theyll be a bit sick of it fairly quickly?
    No. Live sport back is great.

Anyone else think theyll be a bit sick of it fairly quickly? Take Saturday evening for example, after a long day and want to sit down and watch the match, then its Bournemouth vs Palace. Considering they play twice a year anyway theres not much novelty in it, which the world cup at least has going for it.

Interest will fade for sure. I expect most people will revert to watching their own team and the important games for CL qualification and relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'll still watch all Liverpool games and probably all the other inter-top 6 games. As I would do anyways. Then maybe a couple of the relegation ones like Villa & Bournemouth if they play each other. I usually watch the big Everton & Leicester games too and the list is growing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's going to be absolutely glorious. Great curtain raiser tonight too.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I'll still watch all Liverpool games and probably all the other inter-top 6 games. As I would do anyways. Then maybe a couple of the relegation ones like Villa & Bournemouth if they play each other. I usually watch the big Everton & Leicester games too and the list is growing!

Yeah itll be nice to be guaranteed to have something on.

In championship news, 8 positive cases across the last week. They're only announcing weekly now, so its 2 rounds. I'll be either finished with football or delighted with a leeds promotion by next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Very few will watch every game.
    With 4 EPL games on Saturday it'd be perfectly normal to decide to watch just two of them and do something else for the other few hours.
    But its feckin marvellous that the choice is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why could they have not had both though. How much did they lose by cancelling the season. They now have no football till August or September. 6 or 7 months with no football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why could they have not had both though. How much did they lose by cancelling the season. They now have no football till August or September. 6 or 7 months with no football.

Because at the time of cancelling the league the government had said football would not return until September.

Because at the time of cancelling the league the government had said football would not return until September.

In Scotland and Belgium.

No idea on figures myself, but likely the new deal would have had rebates if not done on time and an assessment was made based on how the current contracts would be affected vs future one.

No idea on figures myself, but likely the new deal would have had rebates if not done on time and an assessment was made based on how the current contracts would be affected vs future one.

They now have the threat of legal action stopping the season from starting fresh in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They now have the threat of legal action stopping the season from starting fresh in August.

Should be no delay assuming they follow the agreed procedures for legal action that everyone has signed up for.
    CAS can turnaround a case/ruling in a matter of days if need be.

If they go silly and start seeking injunctions in the Scottish courts (in the case of Hearts) then there's potential for delay. But I really doubt they would go this path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Interesting. That's great so, and confirms that there was no issue with transmission in the Spurs Norwich game, where a Norwich player was found to have been positive.

Very positive news. Confirms that transmission in a match setting is low risk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Very positive news. Confirms that transmission in a match setting is low risk

Also in training situation which is very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Poland allowing fans into the ground from this weekend for games, 25% capacity and have to wear masks when moving around out of seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

batistuta9 wrote: »

The highlights of the match. Should have been more than 10 but farcical that the match was allowed to go ahead under the circumstances.

kksaints wrote: »

The highlights of the match. Should have been more than 10 but farcical that the match was allowed to go ahead under the circumstances.

Ah well, the kids had a nice moment right at the start at least!

As always seems to be the case in these games of kids V adults, it's the keeper that makes the biggest difference. They'd still undoubtedly have lost with a proper senior keeper, but by a lot less I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ah well, the kids had a nice moment right at the start at least!

As always seems to be the case in these games of kids V adults, it's the keeper that makes the biggest difference. They'd still undoubtedly have lost with a proper senior keeper, but by a lot less I'd say.

Keeper got man of the match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement