Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Face coverings should be made mandatory for entering the stadium IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Didn't the Dutch end their league anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

osarusan wrote: »
    Didn't the Dutch end their league anyway?

They did. They didn't announce a winner because it was too tight between Ajax and AZ. Can't see how a no singing law would be enforced or respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Did anyone get the attendance figure for the crowd outside anfield last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Did anyone get the attendance figure for the crowd outside anfield last night.

75,365 and 17 dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,335 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What would be worse?

an empty stadium.
    a 25% full stadium with fans being deathly silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What would be worse?

an empty stadium.

Or 25% capacity with a return of the vuvuzala!!

What would be worse?

an empty stadium.

If they make us sit down in The Kop and keep a few seats between us I don't see the point in going back yet.

It has to be phased back, and things are going to be different, but for me it's less of an occasion if your forced to sit down. That's even before we get to the no singing requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

8-10 wrote: »
    If they make us sit down in The Kop and keep a few seats between us I don't see the point in going back yet.

It has to be phased back, and things are going to be different, but for me it's less of an occasion if your forced to sit down. That's even before we get to the no singing requirement.

You'll still be sitting in a stadium surrounded by fans who can shout and react to what is happening on the pitch. I have a season ticket to a dutch team and i'm delighted with the news that ill be allowed back when the new season starts.

Its also great for the clubs obviously as they can start generating revenue again.

• Advertisement

What would be worse?

an empty stadium.

An empty stadium. Or is this a trick question? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You'll still be sitting in a stadium surrounded by fans who can shout and react to what is happening on the pitch. I have a season ticket to a dutch team and i'm delighted with the news that ill be allowed back when the new season starts.

Its also great for the clubs obviously as they can start generating revenue again.

A major factor in leagues that don't have massive TV deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

FitzShane wrote: »
    A major factor in leagues that don't have massive TV deals.

Before the announcement the club had the players ringing to ask people to renew their season tickets. They were desperate for people to renew.

Yeah it's better than nothing, but I'd be hoping a lot of this would just be temporary. The whole 'at least I can still be there' might get old after a while if there's still strict measures in place

Not saying there shouldn't be, you should absolutely take precautions for as long as necessary. I just think games will feel like they lack something in the meantime. And we were already getting closer to safe standing coming into top level football more before this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Going to be interesting to see the backlash and if there's an increase in cases over the coming days in Liverpool given what's going on in the City.

Assume the players are all celebrating with the usual crowd so hopefully no cases going into the club.

I can't help but laugh when people said they wouldn't gather though.Was obviously going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Going to be interesting to see the backlash and if there's an increase in cases over the coming days in Liverpool given what's going on in the City.

Assume the players are all celebrating with the usual crowd so hopefully no cases going into the club.

I can't help but laugh when people said they wouldn't gather though.Was obviously going to happen

After what happened in Bournemouth today and the BLM protests the last few weeks no surprise there was a gathering tonight,let's hope there isn't an increase in cases due to any of those events

• Advertisement

After what happened in Bournemouth today and the BLM protests the last few weeks no surprise there was a gathering tonight,let's hope there isn't an increase in cases due to any of those events

Agree completely! They're not doing themselves as a country any favours at all

Zaa82Le.jpg

https://news.sky.com/story/liverpool-2-000-fans-celebrate-outside-anfield-after-side-win-premier-league-12015005

MOD NOTE: Mod [DM_7] has moved this post to this thread, it was originally posted to another thread but is more relevant here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

least of their worries

DM headline today
    An army of 500,000 visitors overwhelmed Dorset and forced the authorities in Bournemouth (pictured bottom right) into an 'emergency response' after they clogged up roads and dumped tons of litter on beaches. Coastal beauty spots around the country saw drunken fights (left and top right, Brighton on Thursday) amid blatant flouting of social distancing rules by crowds of young revellers. There were also scenes of shocking violence against officers trying to end a street party in Brixton, south London, on Wednesday night. Police fear there could be widespread drunken disorder on July 4 - dubbed 'Super Saturday' - when pubs and restaurants can reopen.

There's going to be carnage in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

No real surprise tbh considering the scenes at Bournemouth beach yesterday. I fear the UK could see a significant surge in cases and deaths again, they have only themselves to blame. What that means for football long term is anyones guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

gimli2112 wrote: »
    least of their worries

DM headline today
    An army of 500,000 visitors overwhelmed Dorset and forced the authorities in Bournemouth (pictured bottom right) into an 'emergency response' after they clogged up roads and dumped tons of litter on beaches. Coastal beauty spots around the country saw drunken fights (left and top right, Brighton on Thursday) amid blatant flouting of social distancing rules by crowds of young revellers. There were also scenes of shocking violence against officers trying to end a street party in Brixton, south London, on Wednesday night. Police fear there could be widespread drunken disorder on July 4 - dubbed 'Super Saturday' - when pubs and restaurants can reopen.

There's going to be carnage in the UK

Snap.

Absolute animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No real surprise tbh considering the scenes at Bournemouth beach yesterday. I fear the UK could see a significant surge in cases and deaths again, they have only themselves to blame. What that means for football long term is anyones guess.

Is that where that was? I was reading about it yesterday morning and couldn't remember where it was. Thousands of people crammed together.

The UK and the US are going to be in an awful state in the next 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Standard demonising of football fans in the UK

There's nothing demonising about that. The same was said about people who attend Bournemouth beach.

The only difference is this is the football thread so obviously the reason for this one was football related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The UK citizens are trying their best to make things worse there than in America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We should be having our own surge by now after all the marches 2 weeks ago but it has not happened yet, this is not a young persons disease so we cant expect to keep them locked up, we can act as horrified as we want but it wont change a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I seen no comments about the 2nd night if street parties in London by those outraged by Liverpool fans celebrating

I seen no comments about the 2nd night if street parties in London by those outraged by Liverpool fans celebrating

What street party? Was it football related? You might see it in the correct thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Outdoor transmission is very low.

Same people have been saying for weeks they'll be a huge surge. First it was schools,then the BLM protests Now the Liverpool celebrations.

Wrong every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

**** it at this stage. Social distancing went out the window with the blm marches and then when you see the scenes at the beaches in the UK yesterday.

The fans know the risk. I hope they had a great night last night. Worth the wait.

MD1990 wrote: »

Same people have been saying for weeks they'll be a huge surge. First it was schools,then the BLM protests Now the Liverpool celebrations.

Wrong every time.

I'll gladly be wrong everytime for what I see as potential spikes rather than knowing I contributed to one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sure the protestors and the beach goers have been far worse for weeks,
    No doubt there behaviour it lead to many Liverpool fans saying F*ck it I'm off to celebrate ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The only thing that might save them is the warm weather, from the little we know about the disease it doesn't appear to do well when it's hot.
    We're in the third month on a lockdown which is destroying economies, even the Tory government desperate to get up and running again are being relatively cautious.
    The scenes in the UK at present including last night outside of Anfield are not a good thing.
    I hope I'm proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The only thing that might save them is the warm weather, from the little we know about the disease it doesn't appear to do well when it's hot.
    We're in the third month on a lockdown which is destroying economies, even the Tory government desperate to get up and running again are being relatively cautious.
    The scenes in the UK at present including last night outside of Anfield are not a good thing.
    I hope I'm proved wrong.

Not to be pedantic but its not heat its UV light that kills it,
    The long Summer days are great to kill it as it not dark till nearly 10 but could be a disaster come winter when its dark at half 5 ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There's nothing demonising about that. The same was said about people who attend Bournemouth beach.

The only difference is this is the football thread so obviously the reason for this one was football related.

I didnt mean here, I meant in the UK Media/Police.

When football fans do something it is worse than the general population

When football fans do something it is worse than the general population

Well I mean, when the club surrounding it came out and said there would be no mass gatherings or whatever the announcement was it was a 1) A silly thing to comment on and 2) It made them look bad.

The mayor iirc got slated for saying there would be gatherings because of this.

For comparision before somebody asks ''But what about the BLM protests''

I completely disagree with the gathering of the BLM protest in Ireland - Thankfully no spikes. In America - I understand it a lot more. For UK - I disagree with the gathering but I believe racism is worse there than Ireland(Not factual just opinion)

The argument that because X did it than it's ok. It's not. As I said previously, they're doing themselves no favours. Better save than sorry

I don't think it will have any effect on the finishing of the league or anything like that. Everything should be smooth sailing in that regard.

MD1990 wrote: »

Wrong every time.

Schools haven't opened.
    BLM would only be showing up now.
    Liverpool celebrations were last night.

How can they have been wrong each of these three times when 1 didn't happen, and 2 won't have been accounted for yet?

US is experiencing a huge surge now (BLM marches could be contributing to that now).
    It also experienced it 2 weeks after memorial day. and 2 weeks after spring break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Schools haven't opened.

How can they have been wrong each of these three times when 1 didn't happen, and 2 won't have been accounted for yet?

US is experiencing a huge surge now (BLM marches could be contributing to that now).
    It also experienced it 2 weeks after memorial day. and 2 weeks after spring break.

The US is experiencing a surge as they left it spread without restriction too long and also lifted measures too early. Those BLM protests were on all over the world and it made no difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Schools haven't opened.

Yes they have, children are not mandated to attend but schools are open and available for children to attend, my wife works in one and my sons attend two others, all of which are open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Yeah, the supporter's club lambasted the Mayor for saying that this was a possibility, then said that it wouldn't happen. And yet there they were.

• Advertisement

Yes they have, children are not mandated to attend but schools are open and available for children to attend, my wife works in one and my sons attend two others, all of which are open.

Where? I know of no schools open and all the talk is how they will reopen schools in September? What schools are open now? Sure aren't we in school holiday time now anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Really weird to see so much, ‘well what about the beachgoers/protesters’ as if those weren’t roundly criticised also.

It’s a bit mad how quick people will be to come up with the least logical of arguments when their favourite football club is involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Where? I know of no schools open and all the talk is how they will reopen schools in September? What schools are open now? Sure aren't we in school holiday time now anyway?

Are you referring to Ireland or the UK? Thanx 4 The Fish seems to be talking about the UK. UK schools aren't on summer holidays until mid July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I hope I'm proved wrong.
    Warm weather doesn't negatively affect coronavirus. Daily temperatures in South Carolina have been in to 30~36C range and cases are spiking there. Over 1,000 new cases were recorded on consecutive days a week or so ago and the spike is attributed to people under 30 who ignore social distancing guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CSF wrote: »
    Really weird to see so much, ‘well what about the beachgoers/protesters’ as if those weren’t roundly criticised also.

It’s a bit mad how quick people will be to come up with the least logical of arguments when their favourite football club is involved.

The daily Mail claim that Liverpool city council have given permission for a victory parade. Nuts in the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This is irresponsible from the Liverpool mayor.

https://twitter.com/mayor_anderson/status/1276771615116873729

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »

In what way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

What else can he do? He was shot down before for making reasonable arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

What else can he do? He was shot down before for making reasonable arguments.

To be honest I misinterpretation it wrong and maybe misread the tweet. It does in fact seem ok. Hopefully it dosent lead to a spike in cases the next few days. With it being outdoor's at least it may be will be ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

To be honest I misinterpretation it wrong and maybe misread the tweet. It does in fact seem ok. Hopefully it dosent lead to a spike in cases the next few days. With it being outdoor's at least it may be will be ok.

Hopefully it doesn’t is right. I can foresee them travelling to Manchester Thursday evening to the Etihad and if they do, well, who knows what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very poor behaviour.

Even saw Carragher was out as well.
    Klopp may need to make a statement if this continues.

Im not a fan of people using excuses such as but the BLM protests, The goverment mixed messages etc.

Some are letting the club & city down.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement