Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

1818283848587»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The only thing that might save them is the warm weather, from the little we know about the disease it doesn't appear to do well when it's hot.
    We're in the third month on a lockdown which is destroying economies, even the Tory government desperate to get up and running again are being relatively cautious.
    The scenes in the UK at present including last night outside of Anfield are not a good thing.
    I hope I'm proved wrong.

The hot weather thing isn't true. It's running rampant in the poorer Middle East countries and let me tell you it's bloody hot here right now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The hot weather thing isn't true. It's running rampant in the poorer Middle East countries and let me tell you it's bloody hot here right now

Its more the social aspect of it where warm weather gets people outside and not crammed into air conditioning buildings.

wadacrack wrote: »

And he is drinking a can in public, jesus christ was a sick sick individual.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its more the social aspect of it where warm weather gets people outside and not crammed into air conditioning buildings.

Ah I see

Air con is a necessity here so people were asking About it being spread via air con and the UAE government released a statement saying it has not been proven that it can transmit through air con systems.

It's the distancing that matters and covering of mouths when distancing isn't possible. It seems in the UK, hot or cold, they are determined to get together and have a jolly good time on top of each other. Not much you can do prevent stupidity, apparently.

Ah I see

Air con is a necessity here so people were asking About it being spread via air con and the UAE government released a statement saying it has not been proven that it can transmit through air con systems.

It's the distancing that matters and covering of mouths when distancing isn't possible. It seems in the UK, hot or cold, they are determined to get together and have a jolly good time on top of each other. Not much you can do prevent stupidity, apparently.

I think stupidity is a bit harsh, younger people have been locked up for months, they should be going on their holidays now, how long could we realistically expect them to stay at home from a disease that has little affect on them. Its human nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think stupidity is a bit harsh, younger people have been locked up for months, they should be going on their holidays now, how long could we realistically expect them to stay at home from a disease that has little affect on them. Its human nature.

That's not Human Nature Niallo. That's just plain stupidity.

I'm sure they'll feel great if they pass it on to someone elderly in their family.

What a fantastic excuse they have though " I'm sorry, it was just human nature"

I'm sure they'll feel great if they pass it on to someone elderly in their family.

Its reality though, did you really expect them to stay at home indefinitely. I'm not condoning it, but I'm not living in a fantasy world where everyone stays at home and this virus disappears. Its human nature for people to want to get together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JoshRosen wrote: »
    Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.

But people went to the beach the other day. ;)
    It's their fault.

• Advertisement

Its reality though, did you really expect them to stay at home indefinitely. I'm not condoning it, but I'm not living in a fantasy world where everyone stays at home and this virus disappears. Its human nature for people to want to get together.

Reality and Human Nature are not the same thing.

It's human nature for people to want to get together? Ok lets go with that,so in terms of celebrations in this scenario, get together wtih your mates, have large gatherings with your mates I genuinely don't think anybody expected fans to stay home and not celebrate with mates. This has gone a lot further than that.

No, it is stupidity. Yes it is tough but it needs to be done and it can be done. We went in to lockdown here before Ireland and we're still on restrictions with this being the first weekend that u12s have been allowed in to restaurants and malls. Pools and parks are still closed. We've been in this stage since the first week of March.

We have had 310 deaths in total.

And the bit in bold? That can be summed up in one word also. Selfishness.

Reality and Human Nature are not the same thing.

It's human nature for people to want to get together? Ok lets go with that,so in terms of celebrations in this scenario, get together wtih your mates, have large gatherings with your mates I genuinely don't think anybody expected fans to stay home and not celebrate with mates. This has gone a lot further than that.

Its gone further, but with what we saw at the beach's, the March's, the celebrations we need to accept people want to get back to some kind of normal if we like it or not. Yes people will die but people have always died, that might sound cold hearted but its reality.

JoshRosen wrote: »
    Are you referring to my tracksuit and trainers message? A bit of light hearted banter that causes no offence what so ever? Did it strike a chord with you? I apologise if I offended your taste of clothing, really shouldn’t let a harmless joke on a Internet forum make you so angry to resort to personal insults to people you don’t know.

''Light hearted banter'' Your joke is in reference to the class of the people. Perhaps you should say it to them in person.

I can assure you, I'm not angry, I just think your posts make you come across as an idiot.

No, it is stupidity. Yes it is tough but it needs to be done and it can be done. We went in to lockdown here before Ireland and we're still on restrictions with this being the first weekend that u12s have been allowed in to restaurants and malls. Pools and parks are still closed. We've been in this stage since the first week of March.

We have had 310 deaths in total.

And the bit in bold? That can be summed up in one word also. Selfishness.

What's the end game though, keep young people at home until a vaccine. That's not healthy either.

What's the end game though, keep young people at home until a vaccine. That's not healthy either.

Nobody has said don't go out Niallo, But there's a difference between mass gatherings and going out with mates. I'm not sure why you can't see it.

Yeah I can't argue against it not being good for health either being stuck indoors. I was in complete lockdown for 4 weeks. One trip to the supermarket once a week. No exercise outdoors allowed. I thought I was gonna go bonkers.

I can't find the recovery rate numbers for the UK but they should at least be in lockdown until their recoveries are at least double the number of new cases.

Obviously that's not an expert opinon but based on anecdotal experience. That's how they are approaching it here in Abu Dhabi (and we've locked the feckers in Dubai out which has helped!!).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Gonna lock this for a few minutes.........

Update: Still considering this thread folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Liamalone wrote: »
    Unreal. From that post I'm going to assume that you would be in the middle of them idiots, if you were from Merseyside. If I lived in the area I'd be worried.

The English have made a real balls of all this. I haven't heard of any bother in the other parts of the UK but then the devolved administrations did their own thing in reality and ignored Downing Street.

I am not sure if you are serious or not, there was a mass brawl of 100+ people on a beach in Wales on Thursday Police had to step in and many were injured.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Opening this one back up. Some posts removed to try and get things tidied up.

Thread notes in first post still apply and I am highlighting the below part:

Ok, the thread is open on condition that this is in the common interests of soccer to discuss what happens next. Any sniping or trolling or tribalism will be met with a no questions asked removal of posting rights.

Normal totting up rules no longer apply in this thread, bans will be instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

This thread got moderated at the first sniff of an adverse reaction to the fans of a certain club disregarding the Coronavirus advice. Strange that.

It's as if folk are scared to bring it up because they are automatically tarred as being bitter.

I'm not bitter, Liverpool deservedly won the league, not one sane person could argue against that. Congratulations. I used to like Liverpool.

Is anyone going to mention in this Soccer forum the disgraceful behaviour of the Liverpool fans in the 'celebrations'???

Fireworks aimed at one of the City's most prominent buildings because it was partly blue for a war memorial day.

Fireworks aimed into their own crowd ffs

Stabbed some poor onlooker/fellow fan.

Threw bottles at the police.

Attacked an ambulance attending to a casualty.

This is all fact, videos on twitter etc. The truth is out there.

What y'all think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This thread got moderated at the first sniff of an adverse reaction to the fans of a certain club disregarding the Coronavirus advice. Strange that.

It's as if folk are scared to bring it up because they are automatically tarred as being bitter.

I'm not bitter, Liverpool deservedly won the league, not one sane person could argue against that. Congratulations. I used to like Liverpool.

Is anyone going to mention in this Soccer forum the disgraceful behaviour of the Liverpool fans in the 'celebrations'???

Fireworks aimed at one of the City's most prominent buildings because it was partly blue for a war memorial day.

What y'all think?

I feel the same as I did for the protests for any mindless violence. Its wrong and should be condemened regardless of who they are and especially who they support. Worth saying as with the protests it is a minority doing this, the sort who are probably missing their weekly punch up in the pub.

I do think lockdown has amplified these issues as seen globally and we are seeing people act our as a result of it.

But its not an excuse, a thug, an idiot doesn't not become one because they support your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

What y'all think?

Seen bits and pieces on Facebook and WhatsApp. Not really surprising, a 30 year drought, a 3 month lock down, alot of alcohol, all it takes is one yahoo to do something stupid and herd mentality kicks in and others join. The burning of the building was a whole different level of thuggery / idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Seen bits and pieces on Facebook and WhatsApp. Not really surprising, a 30 year drought, a 3 month lock down, alot of alcohol, all it takes is one yahoo to do something stupid and herd mentality kicks in and others join. The burning of the building was a whole different level of thuggery / idiocy.

A 19-year old from Lancashire was arrested for the fire, he is allegedly the one who fired the firework at the building in the video clip shared.

Personally I'm surprised by what happened as in crowd size it was a lot less than the CL celebrations last year in both Liverpool and Madrid which didn't have incidents like this. This is more like you'd expect in North America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The majority of hot countries it is rampant in would be considered third world or 2nd world. While a significant amount would be outside for employment in labour and/or farming they would be much more crowded in accommodation. Also communal cooking and cleaning facilities would also increase chance of infection.

The issue of virus not doing well is usually when it matures.a new virus would have no adverse reaction to hot weather in its infancy. When Donald Trump made the comment that once the sun comes out poof it will disappear was a basic misunderstanding of the virus or indeed any virus.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Personally I'm surprised by what happened as in crowd size it was a lot less than the CL celebrations last year .

Errrrrmmm, and why might that have been?? Last year was pretty cool in comparison :) All hail 2019

#Covid19

Errrrrmmm, and why might that have been?? Last year was pretty cool in comparison :) All hail 2019

#Covid19

I don't follow? It was over 30 degrees in Madrid that night and fans were out till dawn. Not sure how warm it was in Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What y'all think?

‘I used to like Liverpool’. I’ve been reading your posts for well over a decade and there’s been nothing within them that could be remotely considered “like” of Liverpool.

There’s two simple components to this:

1) a tiny subset of people took things to a criminal extreme and will hopefully be caught and punished for what they did
    2) the U.K. government has handled covid 19 terribly and we are seeing negative reactions from a public bombarded with right wing rhetoric over freedom, learning to live with things and the economy. All before they spectacularly undermined the concept of following rules with the Dominic Cummings debacle

There is a huge amount about British societal debate and politics at the moment that is lacking and worthy of discussion in the appropriate forum.

But let’s be honest here lads. This is about achieving a last minute goal in injury time so that some sort of moral victory for opposition fans can be wrought from Liverpool sealing the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What y'all think?

While I certainly don't condone the actions of the fans. In terms of this thread, most of it is not relevant to the specific discussion. The fireworks, the violence - its got nothing to do with Coronavirus. The issues of relevance to this thread is simply the mass gathering and the potential impact of that.

The mass gathering should not have happened. The club said it should not. the supporter groups said it should not. but it did, and everyone knew it would (no matter the denials some gave). But it isn't just a football thing, it is a society thing. look at Bournemouth that week too. Huge numbers of people just don't care.

Also, while the mass gathering should not have happened, look at every other match.

No gatherings for other matches, including liverpool matches. Liverpool aren't going to win the league every week, so there is no evidence or real concern that we will see the same again. I would have concern that City or Chelsea winning the CL would see a similar one off situation - but I don't think and FA Cup or Europa League win sees similar.

If fans start gathering for every match, it is a concern over the viability of football in this era, but as it is I don't think the liverpool title celebrations are a concern in that regard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anymore discussion of mod actions will result in warnings and a thread ban. If you have an issue, take it to PM.

Keep things on topic.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I’ve been reading your posts for well over a decade

That's either weird or just weird. I don't post anywhere near enough nor frequent enough that anyone should be able to make a statement like that lol.

Only joined eight years ago.

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't follow? It was over 30 degrees in Madrid that night and fans were out till dawn. Not sure how warm it was in Liverpool

There was no virus last year.

There was no virus last year.

So why mention the temperature last year then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

But let’s be honest here lads. This is about achieving a last minute goal in injury time so that some sort of moral victory for opposition fans can be wrought from Liverpool sealing the league.

Thats always been the stick thrown out there by anyone daring to question or talk about fan behaviour it can never be anyone genuinely discussing some kind of anti social problem that exist in the fan base.

While I apreciate this thread is probably not the best place to discuss that as a whole it is worth pointing out that people were shut down in here for daring to suggest that liverpool fans would congregate outside the ground when the title was wrapped up.

What we have had is not a small minority of liverpool supporters we have had thousands and thousands of fans having a party in the streets, inside of that party we have had fireworks been set off on purpose to hit a building and other fans, we have fan fans attacking emergency services trying to help victims, we have had at least one stabbing, we have had videos of fans snorting drugs off a police hat that I'd assume he lost in a melee.

It's not just one or two fans its not a small numbers its a large number of local fans going on a weekend bender with no reguards for anything thats going on in the wider society that many people predicted would happen.

So let's be honest here, its not always about point scoring! Its about people discussing a problem that exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mod:Locked again for review, will update when a decision has been made.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement