Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brookwood Abbey, Artane

Options
  • 10-03-2020 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Has any idea of this area?

From Google, it seems there was a shooting at the apartments in 2009.

Is there any issues with the apartments/area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭raheny red

It's a fantastic spot. That shooting had nothing to do with that area. Your man just happened to be in the underground car park of the apartment block at the church.

One of the best areas in D5 imo. Howth Road bus corridor and Harmonstown dart just around the corner. Malahide Road bus corridor not too far away either. St. Anne's on your doorstep too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We used to play football there before they put those houses there, the bastards! It's a nice area, that shooting was a bit unusual, someone also burned a car or two in the basement of the apartments there a few years ago and they had to vacate the apartments for a few months.
    Are people really weary of places in Artane ffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

raheny red wrote: »
    It's a fantastic spot. That shooting had nothing to do with that area. Your man just happened to be in the underground car park of the apartment block at the church.

One of the best areas in D5 imo. Howth Road bus corridor and Harmonstown dart just around the corner. Malahide Road bus corridor not too far away either. St. Anne's on your doorstep too.

Thanks for that.

Do you live near the area? Was wondering about that shooting to make sure that's gone now. Seems some elderly people live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Has any idea of this area?

From Google, it seems there was a shooting at the apartments in 2009.

Is there any issues with the apartments/area?

Thanks.

The apartments are right by the old corpo housing on Mask Road,Crescent etc... they have had a history of anti social behaviour. Harmonstown Dart Station is a little rough too. By no means the worst but the dodgy part of Artane is right there.

It isnt in the slightest bit rough, Harmonstown was in the 80s and early 90s maybe

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The apartments are right by the old corpo housing on Mask Road,Crescent etc... they have had a history of anti social behaviour. Harmonstown Dart Station is a little rough too. By no means the worst but the dodgy part of Artane is right there.

It's also beside brookwood avenue which seems very expensive/affluent.

Interesting to see some posters says it's lovely and some saying it's not at all.

It's also beside brookwood avenue which seems very expensive/affluent.

Interesting to see some posters says it's lovely and some saying it's not at all.

The difference is a affluent person won't attack you on the street or break into your house because you are close by.

I am not saying it is a bad area just very close to an area that was bad and gentrified a bit but still has some issues. It is beside a church and a postal sorting office too. That means bells and truck noise. Very well serviced area but don't confuse it with the Brookwood area proper. Harmonstown train station is by a mini industrial type park which means at night it can feel very unsafe.

The difference is a affluent person won't attack you on the street or break into your house because you are close by.

I am not saying it is a bad area just very close to an area that was bad and gentrified a bit but still has some issues. It is beside a church and a postal sorting office too. That means bells and truck noise. Very well serviced area but don't confuse it with the Brookwood area proper. Harmonstown train station is by a mini industrial type park which means at night it can feel very unsafe.

Do you live in the area? Brookwood is literally 30 seconds away. Seems the apartments are well built. Thinking of purchasing there so wanted to get an idea of it. Seems the area may be gentrified in the next 5/10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

I know the area well, if I had the money i'd buy there. its affluent.

The poster that said the harmonstown dart station is rough, you are very mistaken, very very mistaken. Those guys who hang round the dart sttion are also there in clontarf, killester, hrmonstown, raheny. As long as yu mind you're busines you'll be grand.

Do you live in the area? Brookwood is literally 30 seconds away. Seems the apartments are well built. Thinking of purchasing there so wanted to get an idea of it. Seems the area may be gentrified in the next 5/10 years.

I grew up in Artane. That part of Artane has always been an issue. Mask Crescent is 10 seconds away. It is right on the edge of the good and the bad. Don't underestimate the church and postal office.

Some areas never gentrify and it has been the way it is for about 70 years if not longer.

I even think they filmed some of The Snapper there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I grew up in Artane. That part of Artane has always been an issue. Mask Crescent is 10 seconds away. It is right on the edge of the good and the bad. Don't underestimate the church and postal office.

Some areas never gentrify and it has been the way it is for about 70 years if not longer.

I even think they filmed some of The Snapper there.

I use to work near there and would consider Brookwood and Artane in general quite affluent for a balanced view why not also mention the proximity to st Anns park, Raheny, Killester, the Dart the excellent schools such as St Pauls.

I grew up pretty much next door to those apartments. I still live nearby and parents still live there. There are no anti social issues in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Have a drive around any area you're looking to buy/rent in at different times of the day and night. Go to the local shops and ask the security if they have any trouble. They're generally bored off their tits and will chat to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

This was the scheme where a disgruntled wife set her husbands car on fire in the underground car park and made half the block inhabitable for a while wasnt it?

Islander13 wrote: »
    This was the scheme where a disgruntled wife set her husbands car on fire in the underground car park and made half the block inhabitable for a while wasnt it?

Really!? Any links?

Islander13 wrote: »

Really!? Any links...how would that affect the building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cars-damaged-in-underground-car-park-fire-at-dublin-apartment-complex-34380916.html

Building was structurally fine from memory but apartments were smoke damaged. Took a while to resolve through the block policy

Woah, sounds an area to avoid so. Pity...are there social housing tenants in these apartments?

Woah, sounds an area to avoid so. Pity...are there social housing tenants in these apartments?

lol, good luck finding somewhere with no disgruntled wives. It's like you're looking for reasons not to move here. It'll be interesting to see which utopia you do move to though.

Have a drive around any area you're looking to buy/rent in at different times of the day and night. Go to the local shops and ask the security if they have any trouble. They're generally bored off their tits and will chat to you.

The local shops don't have any security

• Advertisement

lol, good luck finding somewhere with no disgruntled wives. It's like you're looking for reasons not to move here. It'll be interesting to see which utopia you do move to though.

Actually the opposite. I'm really interested to move there.

Unfortunately there's probably not a lot of apartment complexes that have had a shooting and burned out cars in the past 10 years. Not being a smart arse here. I'd genuinely love to hear that it's a great area etc and not expecting perfection.

Would you buy there? Hate to stereotype but with 2 bad events there it's definitely not a great sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I live 5 minutes walk from this complex, closer to Harmonstown station. Regularly walk the dog at morning and night in McAuley Park and on the streets all around these apartments and have never seen any trouble.

The shops on Rosemount Avenue are handy, Centra there is a a mini supermarket not a convenience store.

You'd be a 5 minute walk to the Artane Roundabout bus stop which has many buses and a QBC to city centre. Harmonstown Station is extremely busy in mornings and evenings and there's no trouble (I regularly use the lane to go into Ennafort/Howth Road and have never had hassle).

Taza restaurant has recently opened beside Artane Roundabout and is absolutely flying any time I pass. Artane Castle, Lidl, Aldi all nearby. St Anne's in walking distance and Dollymount Beach a short drive.

The only problem in the area is the crazy traffic at Brookwood Avenue / Howth Road, it can often take several sets of green lights before you get onto Howth Road from Brookwood.

I live 5 minutes walk from this complex, closer to Harmonstown station. Regularly walk the dog at morning and night in McAuley Park and on the streets all around these apartments and have never seen any trouble.

The shops on Rosemount Avenue are handy, Centra there is a a mini supermarket not a convenience store.

You'd be a 5 minute walk to the Artane Roundabout bus stop which has many buses and a QBC to city centre. Harmonstown Station is extremely busy in mornings and evenings and there's no trouble (I regularly use the lane to go into Ennafort/Howth Road and have never had hassle).

Taza restaurant has recently opened beside Artane Roundabout and is absolutely flying any time I pass. Artane Castle, Lidl, Aldi all nearby. St Anne's in walking distance and Dollymount Beach a short drive.

The only problem in the area is the crazy traffic at Brookwood Avenue / Howth Road, it can often take several sets of green lights before you get onto Howth Road from Brookwood.

Brilliant thanks. Would you have any issue living in the apartments with the two incidents mentioned in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lilly89

Hello I’m looking to buy a house in McAuley avenue in Artane , would anyone be able to advise if the estate and the surroundings parks etc is a safe area? Any advice would be really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Up and coming area I'd say, soon to be sought after. Certainly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Artane is very safe .

Brookwood is a lovely quiet settled area near shops , qbc, park and half an hour's walk to the seafront . McAuley Avenue is nearby .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Anything from McAuley to Springdale Road is undervalued and probably the most affordable well built houses in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I grew up down the road, and my mom is still there. It's a fine area, and there never is any trouble. The shooting that you mention was a once off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

As I already mentioned on your other post lilly that you had up yesterday, the area is more than safe, decent area, decent community. You have everything on your doorstep. I am not far in killester.

As said before buy with confidence. I am sure for the price that house is advertised, you will get few bidders as quite affordable for the area.

Living the life

Advertisement