Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB to charge 1c per use of contactless payment - best alternative banks?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

lads when you finally get the Revolut physical card do u need to activate it before u use it ??
    Yes, you have to make a physical chip and pin transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

wench wrote: »
    Yes, you have to make a physical chip and pin transaction

Thanks very much

Folks when you are topping up ur Revolut a/c using AIB internet banking what one do u use A) to another irish a/c OR B) international payment
    sorry if its a stupid question

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Folks when you are topping up ur Revolut a/c using AIB internet banking what one do u use A) to another irish a/c OR B) international payment
    sorry if its a stupid question

You should have a look at the thread for Revolut over here -> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058036916

Use your card for top up if you can, otherwise it's an international payment, Revoluts bank is in the UK

Spocker wrote: »
    You should have a look at the thread for Revolut over here -> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058036916

Use your card for top up if you can, otherwise it's an international payment, Revoluts bank is in the UK

thanks i getting confused with all the info mixing up all the cards thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0323/1124812-aib-maintenance-fees/

They've been forced to abandon this whole thing for now thanks to the Coronavirus. Dunno if they'll try sneaking this in down the line but I have a feeling they got shamed into doing this + the goverment getting on their case about it. Setting up an account with KBC anyways least if they try bringing this back in down the line I'll just close the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Least the announced payments have ceased for now.

Whats the option, EBS ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

in this year and age - AIB thinks that they can pull a stunt like this and get away with it - not a chance for me. Going to fully switch to KBC in May.
    Alun wrote: »
    I'm with AIB and I use contactless, well Google Pay actually, for pretty much everything these days and in the last 12 months I made 406 contactless payments, which would cost me an eye watering €4.06 in fees. I think I can just about manage to afford that to be honest.

And yes sadly, people with attitude like this (well, not that it is a bad/good thing, i couldn't care less about what others do/think), AIB dares to do this day light robbery in this small country in 2020. We put our money in the bank, bank should pay us for doing so, not the other way around. It is wrong full stop - the point is never about you/me could afford that couple of euros.

Normal banks in normal world (funny enough, like banks in brexit country) wouldn't dare to do this because people would mass exodus and leave to other bank. I truly wish AIB will get punished by its incompetency. This is year 2020 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Taking the money right out of accounts then just after the pandemic payment is getting deposited for most people.

Absolute scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭cal naughton

Taking the money right out of accounts then just after the pandemic payment is getting deposited for most people.

Absolute scum.

My AIB account has charge's applied on this day every year as it's the end of the quarter. Linking this to taking just after the pandemic payment is tin foil hat stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

PTSB are going to pay people. 10c per transaction for using contactless more from tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Absolute scum.
    My virgin media direct debit came out today, plus I got an Electric Ireland bill in the door this morning. To add insult to injury, my Netflix came out yesterday and when I bought shopping in Tesco this evening, I had to pay full price for everything.

I don't think any bank are going to waive all their fees unless every utility and shop in the whole country stops charging for goods and services too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Absolute scum.

Best things in life aren’t free

Strippers, boobs and men are the best thing in my life, like me they ain’t cheap .I trust banks to look after my money better than my favourite thing

Strippers, boobs and men are the best thing in my life, like me they ain’t cheap .I trust banks to look after my money better than my favourite thing
    :eek: :eek: :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

:eek: :eek: :D:D:D

How do you like your quarterly fees James?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Posy wrote: »
    My virgin media direct debit came out today, plus I got an Electric Ireland bill in the door this morning. To add insult to injury, my Netflix came out yesterday and when I bought shopping in Tesco this evening, I had to pay full price for everything.

I don't think any bank are going to waive all their fees unless every utility and shop in the whole country stops charging for goods and services too.

They shouldn't need to waive their fees - but a slight delay would make sense given the world-wide pandemic and unprecedented collapse of the economy.

Anyway, spotted the banker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm a bookie. Don't know if that's better or worse. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

They shouldn't need to waive their fees - but a slight delay would make sense given the world-wide pandemic and unprecedented collapse of the economy.

Anyway, spotted the banker.

I imagine their systems are set up to calculate fees for each three month period (which usually expires a couple of weeks before the actual charging date) and then debit them in a batch at the same time each quarter.
    So the charges levied on 31 March probably related to a period from mid December to mid March and predate the escalation of the Covid-19 situation
    Delaying them or changing the processing date is probably far from straightforward.

How do you like your quarterly fees James?

I was slagging you :D:D:D. presume you are a female going by your comment

i got mine refunded :P:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

I'm a bit late to this, but am finally getting around to moving my current account from aib.

What are the best options? I see a lot of ppl talking about a combination of EBS or KBC current accounts in combination with revolut/n26. Why the combination, and how does this work? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

doxy79 wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to this, but am finally getting around to moving my current account from aib.

What are the best options? I see a lot of ppl talking about a combination of EBS or KBC current accounts in combination with revolut/n26. Why the combination, and how does this work? Thanks

Well, revolut isn't a bank and EBS has no app, and possibly no Google/Apple pay, contactless or online banking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

EBS or KBC would be your base current account to receive your wages and handle DDs while Revolut or N26 would be your day to day spending account and the one you'd use for contactless and debit card payments.

Whereas if you did everything from an AIB or BoI account, you'd be getting hammered with fees for every transaction. And BoI don't yet support Google Pay meaning that you have to tap their debit card at the check-out and you'll be challenged for the PIN on every 5th transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

coylemj wrote: »
    EBS or KBC would be your base current account to receive your wages and handle DDs while Revolut or N26 would be your day to day spending account and the one you'd use for contactless and debit card payments.

Whereas if you did everything from an AIB or BoI account, you'd be getting hammered with fees for every transaction. And BoI don't yet support Google Pay meaning that you have to tap their debit card at the check-out and you'll be challenged for the PIN on every 5th transaction.

Thanks! I already have a revolut card so that's one thing sorted.

How do you qualify for fee free banking on EBS and KBC, minimum balance or minimum monthly deposit? I assume using the EBS/KBC debit card to send money to revolut is then fee free?

How do you qualify for fee free banking on EBS and KBC, minimum balance or minimum monthly deposit?

The EBS Moneymanager account has no minimum balance and no minimum minimum monthly lodgement.

Yes, you can send money to a Revolut account for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Qrt

I’d advise against Revolut. Apart from their casual attitude to finance (no banking app needs emojis), it’s not a proper debit card, hence no cashback facilities.

Qrt wrote: »
    I’d advise against Revolut. Apart from their casual attitude to finance (no banking app needs emojis), it’s not a proper debit card, hence no cashback facilities.

But there's no transaction fees to avoid (the main reason for using cashback with a regular bank debit card) so you can get a physical Revolut card and use it to withdraw cash from an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Qrt wrote: »

I hate that I can't send emojis in notes when I transfer my friends money. (Although sending GIFs in Revolut can be pretty fun)

Advertisement