Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools set to close [No]

Options
  • 10-03-2020 3:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

I'll create a seperate thread as the other thread is moving so quickly and people will have interest in this but i am lead to believe all schools will shut for 4 weeks (Or thereabouts) next Wednesday 18th of March. Another poster on the thread shared the below pic

Kr9Jfkm

https://ibb.co/Kr9Jfkm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

already posts about this in the teaching thread.

Same post as i made there. no point in closing schools right now as 99.9999% of people aren't infected, so there is nobody to spread the infection right now.

Closing schools at this point won't help. All it will do is force more parents to stay at home out of work or the kids will be sent to afterschool camps.

Or parents will take them off on holidays like they did in Italy.

Now if there is a wider outbreak, then yes close the schools. Now isn't that time.
    daheff wrote: »
    The issue of schools closing in the UK was brought up yesterday on Newsnight. The official they were talking with said that its too soon there to do this. Their annual FLU contingency plan allows for schools to be closed, but only if there was a massive outbreak.

Their reasoning is that if you close schools when people are generally well, a lot of parents will need to stay home to look after kids. That has a knock on effect on the country as a whole -especially the health service.

If a load of nurses/doctors suddenly had to stay home to look after children imagine the effects on the health service. And all for minimal effect. All it would take would be one or two infected people to travel to the country 2 weeks after any school closure and we'd be back at square one.

Right now we as a country need to continue to be vigilant on handwashing, not travel to affected regions, not allow people in from affected regions and try to restrict movement.

that will help keep the virus from spreading.

Theres approx 3 full weeks of school left until easter break. IMO we should be hoping to get to Easter without any major outbreak and then there won't be a need for a closure (outside of normal easter holidays).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Hopefully they'll have to work it back during the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭poppers

JeffKenna wrote: »

Early easter hols. Back to school tues after easter

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

And the shopping centers will be full of teenagers just like the summer holidays ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

jesus like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Did you ever think you'd become this person? :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

There'll be a national psychosis if the Junior and Leaving Cert exams are either postponed or don't take place at all this year! Students due to sit the Leaving Cert this year might have to stay at school for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

no point in closing schools right now as 99.9999% of people aren't infected, so there is nobody to spread the infection right now.
    You know this how?
    Do you know how many people in Ireland have been tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Same post as i made there. no point in closing schools right now as 99.9999% of people aren't infected, so there is nobody to spread the infection right now.

That "data" at best is a week old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not that I don't trust the journalistic capabilities of the Connaught Telegraph, but is there another source?

I had a call from someone in a relevant dept about this, this morning and told specifically not to "Put it up in that stupid boards place" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not that I don't trust the journalistic capabilities of the Connaught Telegraph, but is there another source?

My GF texted me earlier to say that her principal told her she’s waiting on the call to confirm the closures.

Teachers are being told to prepare work for the students (primary school) to take home with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

poppers wrote: »
    Early easter hols. Back to school tues after easter

Wont be early holidays. Just find a way to share learning/revision plans and study at home. If it comes to it, my son wont be getting extra time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The local primary school here is supposed to be finishing up this Friday is what I was told.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

already posts about this in the teaching thread.

Closing schools at this point won't help. All it will do is force more parents to stay at home out of work or the kids will be sent to afterschool camps.

Or parents will take them off on holidays like they did in Italy.

Now if there is a wider outbreak, then yes close the schools. Now isn't that time.

That’s some strange view you have of prevention. Normal life has to adjust. We need to adapt to the reality. Shutting down now will be the best long term solution. We are going to be hit. Jobs are going to suffer. It’s just how it is. But if the government would take the big decisions now, we’ll be in the best situation to recover from the fallout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

some meath TD tweeting that there are no plans to close schools wholesale

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Let's wait until it's too late and then close them ��

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well you say ‘work’. I’ll show up, if I have to, but there won’t be much work done as only a tiny proportion of students will show.

‘Blinds down, lads. Netflix time. We’ll stick on something that has to do with the syllabus’.

Ah, relax. I wouldn’t do that. Because I won’t be there. Because teachers can’t be compelled during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

endacl wrote: »
    Well you say ‘work’. I’ll show up, if I have to, but there won’t be much work done as only a tiny proportion of students will show.

‘Blinds down, lads. Netflix time. We’ll stick on something that has to do with the syllabus’.

Ah, relax. I wouldn’t do that. Because I won’t be there. Because teachers can’t be compelled during the summer.

I heard in France that the teachers have to work for a couple of weeks to correct the exam papers. Great Idea, I mean they are getting paid anyway so why pay them twice to correct the state exams?

Riskymove wrote: »

Paddy's day was "defo" going ahead also ;)

• Advertisement

Paddy's day was "defo" going ahead also ;)

and schools may well end up closing at some point but todays stories were suggesting imminent closure

Riskymove wrote: »
    and schools may well end up closing at some point but todays stories were suggesting imminent closure

Middle of next week

Middle of next week

suggesting an imminent announcement then!

in any event the Department doesn't say schools wont close just that it will be lead by health advice......so if the health advice changes.......

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

endacl wrote: »

Any idea /suggestion how they may manage the LC ?

the recommendation was made at a meeting yesterday of representatives of education interests across the country

In other words, they asked the teachers and the teachers decided they should take a month off work.close the schools to prevent the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/covid-19-statement-10mar20.html

Seems like no school closures...............yet.

And that Meath TD is the FF education spokesperson, would have a better idea than any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

My guess is that if there is an announcement to be made it won't be made until Friday afternoon when the kids are home from school so that people don't start taking their kids off earlier thus missing more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/covid-19-statement-10mar20.html

Seems like no school closures...............yet.

And that Meath TD is the FF education spokesperson, would have a better idea than any of us.

Was that dept posted in the last few hours?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement