Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools set to close [No]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Was that dept posted in the last few hours?

URL would suggest today anyway
    covid-19-statement-10mar20.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is all the school ski trips to Italy cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

daheff wrote: »
    already posts about this in the teaching thread.

Same post as i made there. no point in closing schools right now as 99.9999% of people aren't infected, so there is nobody to spread the infection right now.

Closing schools at this point won't help. All it will do is force more parents to stay at home out of work or the kids will be sent to afterschool camps.

Or parents will take them off on holidays like they did in Italy.

Now if there is a wider outbreak, then yes close the schools. Now isn't that time.

il be sure to run if i see you coming in the weeks ahead

" you cant fix stupid "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

JeffKenna wrote:
    Hopefully they'll have to work it back during the summer months.

Aegir wrote:
    In other words, they asked the teachers and the teachers decided they should take a month off work.close the schools to prevent the spread.

Oh the bitterness is overflowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Teacher in a primary school here a lot of rumours floating around today but nothing concrete. I would love to see the schools close for the benefit of controlling the virus and seeing would that help and I would have no problem returning early august if it had helped and we know the situation a little better.
    To be honest it might make the situation as in my school I know for a fact that teachers and kids and parents would be jetting off everywhere and not really caring about others as long as they get a holiday in.
    Nothing about work packs been readied or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I heard in France that the teachers have to work for a couple of weeks to correct the exam papers. Great Idea, I mean they are getting paid anyway so why pay them twice to correct the state exams?

Correcting state exams isn’t part of the job description. I don’t do it because I don’t want to. Lots of teachers apply to correct because of the incentive of extra cash. I don’t need the extra cash. I’m not contracted to correct, and won’t be correcting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is untrue.
    Thread should be locked

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Any idea /suggestion how they may manage the LC ?

No. Not my problem. I don’t teach LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

You know this how?
    Do you know how many people in Ireland have been tested?

I know this because the HSE are telling us that theres 24 people currently infected. 24/4.83m gives you 99.99995% (ok I rounded up).

Numbers of tested are irrelevant. Numbers of confirmed cases are the denominator. And yes I get that we probably have more cases because we aren't extensively testing. But not to a huge differential (at the moment).
    Boggles wrote: »
    That "data" at best is a week old.
    Any actual source of your "data"?
    That’s some strange view you have of prevention. Normal life has to adjust. We need to adapt to the reality. Shutting down now will be the best long term solution. We are going to be hit. Jobs are going to suffer. It’s just how it is. But if the government would take the big decisions now, we’ll be in the best situation to recover from the fallout

All it takes is one or two imported cases afterwards and you are back to where we are now. Do we shut down again then?

I'm not saying don't ever shut down schools/public transport etc....but not now with only 24 cases....all bar one have a known source (ultimately of import). If We had 24 community infections then I might have a different view.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    il be sure to run if i see you coming in the weeks ahead

" you cant fix stupid "
    Thanks. Be delighted if you ran away.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

daheff wrote: »
    I know this because the HSE are telling us that theres 24 people currently infected. 24/4.83m gives you 99.99995% (ok I rounded up).

Numbers of tested are irrelevant. Numbers of confirmed cases are the denominator. And yes I get that we probably have more cases because we aren't extensively testing. But not to a huge differential (at the moment).

Any actual source of your "data"?

All it takes is one or two imported cases afterwards and you are back to where we are now. Do we shut down again then?

I'm not saying don't ever shut down schools/public transport etc....but not now with only 24 cases....all bar one have a known source (ultimately of import). If We had 24 community infections then I might have a different view.

Thanks. Be delighted if you ran away.

The one without a known source had been abroad, but not to one of the main affected areas, likelihood that s/he was in a hotspot undetected by that country's government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Schools are not closing at this point in time. No need for this thread.

Closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Aegir wrote: »
    In other words, they asked the teachers and the teachers decided they should take a month off work.close the schools to prevent the spread.

Spend one or two day’s in any given classroom and you will gain two things (1) an appreciation of just how clueless you are about the profession which you are totally unqualified to comment on (2) some kind of virus whether it be a common cold, cough, chest infection or something more serious.

Classrooms in schools in this country are the most non disinfected, unventilated, filthy, disease ridden/swapping/breeding ****heaps you can encounter so pipe you ignorant twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Mr E wrote: »
    Mod: Schools are not closing at this point in time. No need for this thread.

Closed.

They actually are, just hasn't been made public yet. Meeting finished around 3:30pm.

Just came from meeting. Containment strategy is working great so far. It's gonna mitigate the worst effects. There will be deaths but it's unfortunately not something we can do about at the moment. I can't see any reason why schools would he closed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hoboo wrote: »
    They actually are, just hasn't been made public yet. Meeting finished around 3:30pm.
    Irrelevant until it is announced

In addition it's bad enough having to keep an eye on fake news in one thread - we're not going to spread this particular disease across the forum....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement