Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Name opinion

Options
  • 10-03-2020 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on Larry for a boy ? I love it and was dead set on it until I stupidly told a friend and she made it quite clear she didnt like it.

Im still coming back to it all the time but just wondering if the general population will tell me its lovely (once he is born !) but secretly wonder think its awful !

Thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

shreko wrote: »
    Just wondering what peoples opinions are on Larry for a boy ? I love it and was dead set on it until I stupidly told a friend and she made it quite clear she didnt like it.

Im still coming back to it all the time but just wondering if the general population will tell me its lovely (once he is born !) but secretly wonder think its awful !

Why bother what other people think? if you like it, drive on.

.....unless its for a girl, then its a terrible name.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I love it, very unique in this age. He'll probably be the only in his class which is a good thing. Go for it!
    If you don't go for it, my advice is keep out of the top ten lists. People seem to be less adventurous with boys names. My son knows about 6 Darragh's (or spelling variations of it) his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

Yea, I'm leaning that way anyway, screw what other people think.. I guess I was just actually wondering what DO other people think.
    I think its lovely and was surprised at my friends reaction so was just wondering what the general consensus was.

We already have one boy and his name is similar, not way out there but certainly wouldnt feature in a top ten... so was looking for the same again.

And luckily, no, I wouldnt be doing that to a little girl :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

shreko wrote: »

When your friend has a baby they can pick any name they want. If you like the name go for it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Larry Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sleepysue

I doesn't matter what anyone else thinks if you like it then go for it. There will always be someone who doesn't like a name, you can't please everyone, nor should you try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

It's a grand normal name. Like there's nothing weird or negative if that's what you mean.

I would see it same as Tom, John etc so if you like it go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I hear Larry I think Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Nothing wrong wit Larry unless your second name makes is funny or a celebrity etc like larry Barry or larry Gogan etc.
    Once the parents are happy then screw everyone else. Larry is a normal name

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

Never tell any one your baby names, people always have an opinion. Don't see anything wrong with it it's a normal name. It's quite cute for a baby and it will age well with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Personally I think it's an old farts name but I don't know you or your child so my opinion is of absolutely no consequence. If everyone only used names no one else disliked we'd all be called the same thing. Once the kid is running around with the name noone will feel the need to have an opinion on it anymore anyway so if you like it go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Larry Murphy

Genuinely my first though too, although this is probably a boardsie thing. But regardless of that it's not a name I'd give a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Your baby so you choose whatever name you want!
    Since you've asked what others think, I think of Joe from Impractical Jokers as it's a name he shouts as part of some of the sketches.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

Sesame wrote: »
    I love it, very unique in this age. He'll probably be the only in his class which is a good thing. Go for it!
    If you don't go for it, my advice is keep out of the top ten lists. People seem to be less adventurous with boys names. My son knows about 6 Darragh's (or spelling variations of it) his age.

I wouldnt bank on that, our first child has a normal name but didn't know anyone called it 15yrs ago. Within months the name surged in popularity. It's has been in the top 10 ever since, I actually don't mind though as it just shows we picked a good name lol.
    I don't think you can be too adventurous with boys name, I like good strong names for a boys. A name that will age well with them. Some of the new gimikey names are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Don’t mention names fo anyone until you have a baby to go with the name. Everyone will have a comment. My eldest boy has a more old fashioned name, that I know nobody would have given their own child, but it’s a family name and we wanted it. It’s great because he’s the only one in his school with the name, and he loves that.
    Unless your surname is Murphy, or Barry then go for it, but keep to your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I agree go with whatever name that you like. Best keep the name to yourself until baby gets here. Opinions on names are very subjective. I know from a brief conversation with my mother she hated the names I liked and vice versa.. I held back my favourite names though as he will be called what my husband and I choose and its not up for negotiation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

The name Larry has forever been tarnished...

NINTCHDBPICT000001730638-e1534357685848.jpg

Call him Laurence, so he can go formal with the full thing if he wants to, or just use Larry if he prefers. It's nice to have a choice. I use my 'full' forename on occasion in work related situations, but am generally known by friends and family by a diminution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Candie wrote: »
    Call him Laurence, so he can go formal with the full thing if he wants to, or just use Larry if he prefers. It's nice to have a choice. I use my 'full' forename on occasion in work related situations, but am generally known by friends and family by a diminution.

100%

Far too many Jacks and Harrys around. It's a bit crazy to name someone with a nickname. Give them the proper name, and by all means use the nickname day to day if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

We named our little lad Laurence and hope to keep it laurence for as long as possible. Almost everyone (except my dad... Grrr and my niece) call him Laurence. Niece calls him Laaaa but she's only a toddler so can't blame her :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Nothing wrong wit Larry unless your second name makes is funny or a celebrity etc like larry Barry or larry Gogan etc.
    Once the parents are happy then screw everyone else. Larry is a normal name

I know a Larry Barry. It's gas, when the irish guys are with him, we use his full name. But he lives in Switzerland, and is dating a Thai bird, so he rarely hears it.

Go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

Thanks everyone, I think Im gonna go for it anyway. I really like it and apart from the Larry Murphy connection (which I hope by the time he is 20 wont be as recognisable !) Im ok with the rest.

Just on the Laurence thing.. I would never do that. No offence to anyone and nothing against the name Laurence I just don't get the idea of naming him one thing when we fully intend on calling him something else.

Luckily enough our second name is not Barry but I never understand why anyone would do that to their kid either !!

Advertisement