Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Figure out what is tripping fuse.

Options
  • 10-03-2020 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Fuse for my ma's sitting room tripped last night (nothing was being turned on or plugged in/out at the time) and it won't reset even with nothing being plugged in at all. I've opened each socket to see if anything is obviously bad (scorch marks, burning smell etc) and I can't see anything wrong, though my electrical knowledge is limited to wiring a plug!

Is my next port of call an electrician? and how much ballpark would I be looking at to fix the problem? house is a 1980's semi d, no bother with any of the wiring previously.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Fuse for my ma's sitting room tripped last night (nothing was being turned on or plugged in/out at the time) and it won't reset even with nothing being plugged in at all. I've opened each socket to see if anything is obviously bad (scorch marks, burning smell etc) and I can't see anything wrong, though my electrical knowledge is limited to wiring a plug!

Is my next port of call an electrician? and how much ballpark would I be looking at to fix the problem? house is a 1980's semi d, no bother with any of the wiring previously.

Thanks.

Mcb or rcd?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Sorry, MCB!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Sorry, MCB!

Did you check the sockets in other rooms? It's unlikely that the sitting room is on its own circuit.

Yeah, all upstairs sockets & kitchen sockets are working fine. Just the one socket in hall and all sitting room sockets which I presume are on their own circuit. Socket in hall isn't used often and wasn't in use when this trip happened originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Mcb or rcd?

Have you tried unplugging everything from the affected power outlet sockets and then see if you can get the MCB to close?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Mcb or rcd?

Pull the mcb down fully and then try pushing it back up to reset

Also check if there’s an outside socket

• Registered Users Posts: 82,878 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was the heating on?

Sorry, MCB!

Did you push the MCB very firmly up ?

(a tentative movement to close it may not result in a successful closing )

Apologies for the late, thanks for all the responses. Yes, I've tried pushing it up firmly. It just trips again straight away. The heating wasn't on either, and is on the kitchen circuit which has no problems anyway. I've rigged up the below extension reel to a socket in the kitchen until we can get a spark out (as an aside an recs for one in West Dublin would be appreciated!) All that's plugged into it is TV, UPC Box, modem and a lamp.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/masterplug-ldct2513bq-4-xd-13a-4-gang-25m-cable-reel-240v/54615?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5efw8qqd6AIVjLTtCh2ORAeZEAQYASABEgLr5_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Apologies for the late, thanks for all the responses. Yes, I've tried pushing it up firmly. It just trips again straight away. The heating wasn't on either, and is on the kitchen circuit which has no problems anyway. I've rigged up the below extension reel to a socket in the kitchen until we can get a spark out (as an aside an recs for one in West Dublin would be appreciated!) All that's plugged into it is TV, UPC Box, modem and a lamp.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/masterplug-ldct2513bq-4-xd-13a-4-gang-25m-cable-reel-240v/54615?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5efw8qqd6AIVjLTtCh2ORAeZEAQYASABEgLr5_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Make sure the extension reel is completely uncoiled for using as temp sockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭whizbang

Hall circuit would make me think Outside light, doorbell, Alarm control panel, Phone base, Modem, etc. Understairs circuits?
    Hallway sockets tended to get damaged easier.

Switch off the Main switch, and reset the offending circuit. If it doesnt feel good, then its probably the Mcb

Will give that a go tomorrow. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If it wont reset with the main power off, and it is an MCB, the MCB is likely faulty.

If it does reset, but trips when you turn the main power back on, its likely you have a L to N short.

whizbang wrote: »
    Hall circuit would make me think Outside light, doorbell, Alarm control panel, Phone base, Modem, etc. Understairs circuits?
    Hallway sockets tended to get damaged easier.

Switch off the Main switch, and reset the offending circuit. If it doesnt feel good, then its probably the Mcb

This is a very good suggestion . I concur

Advertisement